[Locked] Movement Mechanics and 4 Playable Species

OP Whimsical DE

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Enhanced mobility drop it, perhaps a very limited sprint would be cool. In Halo 4 jet packs where very cool campaign wise, and also cool just as an option in noncompetitive matches, although avoiding jet packs entirely will be the best way to go. Anyway I believe that the movement should be heavily influenced by the very limited classical movement mechanics, hang on let me finish, heavily influenced not entirely the same, I say this because there is a very slim chance 343i decides to make the mechanics exactly as they where. Bungie knew exactly what they wanted to do with every Halo progression. They finished at Halo Reach, I would love to see some of the enhanced mobility from there. Tone it down though, we could have playable elites, humans of course and maybe two other species. Playable elites could have their evade (where they commando roll) making them hard to shoot for a period, allowing them to puncture their enemy with an energy sword. Limited sprint would be a base feature for every 'specie' or 'class'. Spartans could have something similar to Armour Lock. As for the two other species, I'm leaving that with you guys. I tried hard to balance both opposing parts of the divided Halo community.

Edit:
I think having playable elites and brutes would add huge amount detail to the game and great customisation options. Depth will come in armour customisation for these species. An idea for armour customisation for the three playable species (humans, elites and brutes):
Humans
• Same as always (with classic ODST armour included)
• Added marine armour (face masks, pilots, camouflage etc...)
Elites
Armour based off actual Sangheili rank structure
Don't forget the Heretic Sangheili
Brutes

Armour based off actual Jiralhanae rank structure
• Jiralhanae major
• Jiralhanae ultra
• Jiralhanae stalker
• Jump pack Jiralhanae
• Jiralhanae captain
• Jiralhanae honor guardsman
• Chieftan
I'm fine with having each species having a separate perk such as elites having evade but I think we can do better than armor lock for the Spartans. Maybe a visor ability that highlights enemies and has a night vision effect or something. armor lock just seems to op to have as a base feature. Overall though it might be best to avoid the species perk but I can see it happening.
As far as jetpack, halo 4 jetpack sucked, reach had best jetpack.
Limited sprint and getting rid of the other abilities sounds fine but I'd like to keep clamber.
And the other 2 species should be promethean soldier and brute. I'm hoping the banished play a big role in infinite so brutes would make sense as a 3rd species and given the important of prometheans in the 343 games the soldiers would be the logical 4th.
If we're sticking with the "each species has a perk" thing then the brutes should have a melee lunge attack that thrusts them like a sword but only does melee damage rather than sword damage. The prometheans perk would just be short teleport that would recharge slower than the other species perks, assuming there's a recharge rate on these things. If not that than a hardlight shield.

Honestly though, this class like system is probably best for a spin off game.
Seconded. I want playable elites back, but having multiple different playable races with different effects is a bit much for a mainline Halo game.
I like what you have come up with LimyMage. Catten Hart I believe it would fit perfectly as all the Halos before Halo 4; except CE, had two different species. Adding an extra two would not reclassify the game, I believe. It would add detail, give us something to look forward to and make multiplayer more interesting in a slight and fair way. I'm not completely disregarding your opinion, it is possibly correct, this is just mine. It could easily be too much.
Would this class system be applied to the whole game?
I'm skeptical of any major changes in Halo. Having a bunch of playable characters in Infinite would be fun, but good luck balancing that out. All I remember is that elites in halo 2 matchmaking were harder to get head shots on.
I'm good with the Elites rejoining the fun. The rest not so much. Maybe if they want to try it they could put different species skins in customs for players to test.

As Evade goes I think that should be the standard multi direction movement mechanic for Spartans and Elites. Its been in every game since the begining. Marines have done it since CE. Its also in the books there's been multiple mentions of Spartans rolling to dodge attacks. It seems the natural evasive action, I don't know why 343i went overboard with the Thruster Pack. Without the Thrusters we could still have a limited sprint, clamber, slide, maybe a more limited shoulder charge. Stabilizers, ground pound, and unlimited sprint wouldn't need to be in the game. Thankfuly 343i didn't put that Thruster jump in the game where the Thrusters shoot you straight up to jump twice as high.
Any way back to Evade, I'd like it and they could keep a button open for more Armor Abilites by putting evade on a double tap crouch or something. If they did do AA's they would need some tweeking. Slow down the energy regen rate so they can't be used every two seconds. they could make them more useful to balance the less frequent usage. Regen field could fix vehicles and recharge others AA power too. Decoy could run and shooot at nearby opponants, not doing damage though, or if your out of grendes you could toss a holographic grenade to psych people out. Thruster Pack is already buffed it could stay the same as a swappable ability.
Mostly Evade as a standard dodge, I give Evade two thumbs up, Thrusters thumbs down.
I would love to see a Halo 3 style system with equipment as opposed to abilities. Up the base movement speed, keep clamber.

Also, need to see a Halo 2-3 ranking system. Best ranking system in any video game ever imo.
This is strictly my opinion, and it says nothing against you as a person.

This is the worst suggestion for movement mechanics in Halo Infinite I've read in a while.
Not the campaign or other necessary areas. Concentrated on multiplayer and personal character.
Battle wrote:
I'm good with the Elites rejoining the fun. The rest not so much. Maybe if they want to try it they could put different species skins in customs for players to test.
I agree, but I want a clean and simpler Halo. Reach and especially Halo 4 were on the verge of being messy with loadouts and abilities such as clone, the jet pack, thrust and speed boosts. I believe the new abilities except sprint and clamber were a bit too much. Sprint in my opinion should be the only new added ability, I think they may have considered or are introducing classes with greater base health. Although hopefully it doesn't become a class-type FPS game. Also I think they may add lying down or becoming prone. They could however add another extra ability, not slide I really don't think slide is necessary and it is way too main stream. Maybe add just dash to emphasise how important it is to use these abilities correctly. Halo 4 especially and 5 became over complicated with too many abilities and Halo 4 came to the level were skill was lacking. We need only two non-fundamental abilities and the original power-ups, with at most 4 different types of grenades. These limitations would fit perfectly and would not confuse new players, whilst making the game more competitive and fair. Simplicity is key, is what I'm emphasising, I don't want nor do we need any of the abilities from Halo 4. Another important point is restricting movement will challenge developers to think cleverly and design perfect fitting maps like Bungie once did.
Recap:

Abilities
■ Sprint
■ Jump
■ Crouch (no lying down)
■ Clamber
■ Evade (commando role, like dash in Halo 5, cooler animation)
Halo ODST night-vision mode for dark areas of campaign, this will encourage developers to design equally beautiful maps based at night, imagine: pitch black trees, shadows, a bright sky, huge planets in the distance, galaxies and surrounding moons. We would hear bugs humming, leaves rustling, alien animals calling out and cold winds (developers would be very careful in selecting realistic sounds that fit well, not the generic ones, it amazes me how realistic and unique some sound are).
Power-ups
■ Active camouflage
■ Overshield or Armour lock
I'm fine with having each species having a separate perk such as elites having evade but I think we can do better than armor lock for the Spartans. Maybe a visor ability that highlights enemies and has a night vision effect or something. armor lock just seems to op to have as a base feature. Overall though it might be best to avoid the species perk but I can see it happening.
Limited sprint and getting rid of the other abilities sounds fine but I'd like to keep clamber.
And the other 2 species should be promethean soldier and brute. I'm hoping the banished play a big role in infinite so brutes would make sense as a 3rd species and given the important of prometheans in the 343 games the soldiers would be the logical 4th.
If we're sticking with the "each species has a perk" thing then the brutes should have a melee lunge attack that thrusts them like a sword but only does melee damage rather than sword damage. The prometheans perk would just be short teleport that would recharge slower than the other species perks, assuming there's a recharge rate on these things. If not that than a hardlight shield.

If Prometheans had Blink I'd be maining them every game. If Grunts were playable they would be my backup.
If Prometheans had Blink I'd be maining them every game. If Grunts were playable they would be my backup.
That would be hilarious, in seriousness I mean all the 'species' need a hitbox the exact same as each other or extremely similar to the standard spartan hitbox.
I really hope they do nothing too fancy, like adding: clones, the back in time mechanic were you teleport backwards several meters in time, ground pound, spartan charge (although not too bad), jet pack (not too extreme), the speed boost and the damage boost. Lets not forget hover or auto-stabilize, I hope not to see it, but it wouldn't be a huge deal. As we saw in Halo 5 spending time coming up with knew mechanics consumes time and suspends time reserved for deep thinking and thinking ahead. It amazes me how perfect Bungie was a creating games, they were truly a force to be reckoned with at that time.
Not the campaign or other necessary areas. Concentrated on multiplayer and personal character.
I could maybe see something like WZ adopt a system like this. I'd like the bulk of multiplayer to be classless though.

What perk would grunts have? Explode on death? Actually that sounds pretty fun
They need to keep things basic, no need to reinvent things. Just give us playable Elites with normal movement like in H3 & all will be well again.
They could do a Halo version of Gears of War's Beast Mode. Take command of grunts, jackals, elites, and brutes and kill waves of marines, ODSTs and Spartans. The better you are with a certain species, you unlock armors for that species (minor, major, ultra, gunner, spec ops, ranger, captain, honor guard, zealot, field marshal, etc...). Be good enough and you can unlock the ability to play as a grunt goblin, Prophet of Regret, Hunter, Arbiter, Tartarus...
They could do a Halo version of Gears of War's Beast Mode. Take command of grunts, jackals, elites, and brutes and kill waves of marines, ODSTs and Spartans. The better you are with a certain species, you unlock armors for that species (minor, major, ultra, gunner, spec ops, ranger, captain, honor guard, zealot, field marshal, etc...). Be good enough and you can unlock the ability to play as a grunt goblin, Prophet of Regret, Hunter, Arbiter, Tartarus...
An amazing suggestion with the armours, although as I said the hitboxes must be similar to that of a human. The last sentence was a bit to hopeful if you ask me. The rest is beautiful. But you've inspired me to create a list. These will be the armours for the three known playable species in Halo 6:

Humans
• Same as always (with classic ODST armour included)
• Added marine armour (face masks, pilots, camouflage etc...)

Elites
Armour based off actual Sangheili rank structure
• Don't forget the Heretic Snagheili

Brutes
Armour based off actual Jiralhanae rank structure
• Jiralhanae major
• Jiralhanae ultra
• Jiralhanae stalker
• Jump pack Jiralhanae
• Jiralhanae captain
• Jiralhanae honor guardsman
• Chieftan

What perk would grunts have? Explode on death? Actually that sounds pretty fun
Grunts in Halo Wars for example if you were a Suicide Grunt had Zeal. Zeal made the Grunts move faster and also had another upgrade to make the Blast Radius bigger.

However, I'd give Grunts more of the Deacon ability such as better accuracy and heavier weaponry. In Halo Wars 2 Grunt Heavies had EMP and Fuel Rods. So I would kind of us Halo Wars as a template.

As for Jackals and Skirmishers I would love for either Offense/Defense trade off. You want range choose Offense, you want the shield or sleeve gauntlet? Go Defense.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4