[Locked] Movement Mechanics and 4 Playable Species

OP Whimsical DE

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
Spoiler:
Show
Aaronizten wrote:
Thank you my friend.
Edit:I think having playable elites and brutes would add huge amount detail to the game and great customisation options. Depth will come in armour customisation for these species. An idea for armour customisation for the three playable species (humans, elites and brutes):
Humans• Same as always (with classic ODST armour included)
• Added marine armour (face masks, pilots, camouflage etc...)
ElitesArmour based off actual Sangheili rank structure
Don't forget the Heretic SangheiliBrutesArmour based off actual Jiralhanae rank structure
• Jiralhanae major
• Jiralhanae ultra
• Jiralhanae stalker
• Jump pack Jiralhanae
• Jiralhanae captain
• Jiralhanae honor guardsman
• Chieftan
I actually have always thought it would be neat to have them slip something like this in a Slayer playlist completely unannounced, and suddenly you are playing 4v4 and everyone in the match is a Grunt.
Sprint is the worse thing ever happened to Halo, even a very limited sprint would be bad.
It's like saying "100 kicks in the balls are bad. 10 kicks in the balls would be cool". No! It wouldn't
Sprint is the worse thing ever happened to Halo, even a very limited sprint would be bad.
It's like saying "100 kicks in the balls are bad. 10 kicks in the balls would be cool". No! It wouldn't
That is your opinion, I agree as well I would rather have a quick base speed, but it's not likely. Dash however surprisingly I liked, for me my ideal scenario I would love a faster base movement, no sprint, and some dash as a cherry on top. No more, although I admit jet packs were fun, especially on flood maps on Halo 4. If you all want to play social and competitive playlists, feel free to join my Spartan Company.
That is your opinion, I agree as well I would rather have a quick base speed, but it's not likely. Dash however surprisingly I liked, for me my ideal scenario I would love a faster base movement, no sprint, and some dash as a cherry on top. No more, although I admit jet packs were fun, especially on flood maps on Halo 4. If you all want to play social and competitive playlists, feel free to join my Spartan Company.
Well said my friend! Faster base movement, no sprint. Dash is something I can deal with. And I could deal also with climbing and smart link but good Lord throw sprint out the window! No sprint, no lootboxes and I'm in
Well said my friend! Faster base movement, no sprint. Dash is something I can deal with. And I could deal also with climbing and smart link but good Lord throw sprint out the window! No sprint, no lootboxes and I'm in
Thanks! For smart link, I think it's more of a meh.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
"Classic movement" implies that Halo 1, 2, and 3 didn't all have very different movement from each other, which they did. Maybe you didn't play the games enough to tell, but there's a lot more to a game's movement than just sprint or not sprint.

This post is all over the place and almost makes no sense. You say you want to see the enhanced movement from reach? Halo 4 had the same exact things: jet pack, ice skating sprinting, and the awkward dash that was replaced with the superior thruster in Halo 5.

And 4 playable species ? Well if that's the case we might as well have playable AI so I can have a hacking and coding ability and turn Halo into Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect.
Fast movement speed without sprint. Everything placed on maps in true arena fashion.
"Classic movement" implies that Halo 1, 2, and 3 didn't all have very different movement from each other, which they did. Maybe you didn't play the games enough to tell, but there's a lot more to a game's movement than just sprint or not sprint.
Intriguing, please do elaborate on this.

This post is all over the place and almost makes no sense. You say you want to see the enhanced movement from reach? Halo 4 had the same exact things: jet pack, ice skating sprinting, and the awkward dash that was replaced with the superior thruster in Halo 5.

And 4 playable species ? Well if that's the case we might as well have playable AI so I can have a hacking and coding ability and turn Halo into Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect.
I have many hours on those games and the movement only comes down to slight speed adjustments Bungie made within these games, additionally this is why being able to change your speed significantly or 'sprinting' makes it a more modern style of movement. In all these Halo games you were able to change your speed, but this does not matter, maintaining a walking pace was difficult and not intended. These classic movement mechanics are very different to sprinting; as walking is considered the animation when the sprinting button is not held down. Classic would show as a positive gradient on a velocity graph with the stick held forward, as for the modern mechanics, they have a different button mapping and two base velocities. Hence why the modern movements would be level with the stick held down and facing forward, and would appear as a gradient similar to the classic movement mechanics without the stick held down. You are probably referring to the animation and weapon bobbing that makes the 'movement' different, but movement directly refers to the speed of the character. I'm sure everyone here knew this but since you decided to emphasise there was a 'huge' difference in those three Halo games, I had to explain all this pointlessly.

Secondly, to clarify, I want to see a faster base movement not sprint, I'm sure this is understandable to all of us, this sprint will be slightly changeable depending on the force you apply to the stick, like in the old Halo games. I want a quote on quote 'superior' Halo 5 dash and since you want to be nit-picky it is not simply called a thruster, this 'thruster' come with many abilities with specific names. The only reason I would like a jet pack is for purely fun purposes: big team battle and other large maps on other playlists. As for your last point, or should I call it opinion, that obviously from spite.

I have many hours on those games and the movement only comes down to slight speed adjustments Bungie made within these games, additionally this is why being able to change your speed significantly or 'sprinting' makes it a more modern style of movement. In all these Halo games you were able to change your speed, but this does not matter, maintaining a walking pace was difficult and not intended. These classic movement mechanics are very different to sprinting; as walking is considered the animation when the sprinting button is not held down. Classic would show as a positive gradient on a velocity graph with the stick held forward, as for the modern mechanics, they have a different button mapping and two base velocities. Hence why the modern movements would be level with the stick held down and facing forward, and would appear as a gradient similar to the classic movement mechanics without the stick held down. You are probably referring to the animation and weapon bobbing that makes the 'movement' different, but movement directly refers to the speed of the character. I'm sure everyone here knew this but since you decided to emphasise there was a 'huge' difference in those three Halo games, I had to explain all this pointlessly.

Secondly, to clarify, I want to see a faster base movement not sprint, I'm sure this is understandable to all of us, this sprint will be slightly changeable depending on the force you apply to the stick, like in the old Halo games. I want a quote on quote 'superior' Halo 5 dash and since you want to be nit-picky it is not simply called a thruster, this 'thruster' come with many abilities with specific names. The only reason I would like a jet pack is for purely fun purposes: big team battle and other large maps on other playlists. As for your last point, or should I call it opinion, that obviously from spite.
How many grav lifts or air lifts and man cannons are in Halo CE ? None.
How many maps in Halo 3 that weren't remakes used the green doorway portals from Halo CE? None.
How much higher can you jump in Halo 3 compared to the other two? Way higher, resulting in navigating maps in much different ways.

Youre missing the big picture here. The differences in movement amongst Halo 1, 2, and 3 is what made them unique and ambiguous in their own ways. It really baffles me how angry people like you become when told that they weren't all clones of one another.

i never said anything about the base movement, all that is pretty similar, it's just that the movement overall of the three games is very different from each other. if that's so hard for you to accept that you gotta write rage paragraphs online to strangers about it, then more power to you.

my point overall is that it's getting tiresome to hear people say "I want the classic Halo experience back" when I know for a fact that each Halo is different and unique in its own way, so people begging for Halo Infinite to be nothing but a copy and paste of the "classic experience" is just disappointing.

How many maps in Halo 3 that weren't remakes used the green doorway portals from Halo CE? None.
How much higher can you jump in Halo 3 compared to the other two? Way higher, resulting in navigating maps in much different ways.

Youre missing the big picture here. The differences in movement amongst Halo 1, 2, and 3 is what made them unique and ambiguous in their own ways. It really baffles me how angry people like you become when told that they weren't all clones of one another.

i never said anything about the base movement, all that is pretty similar, it's just that the movement overall of the three games is very different from each other. if that's so hard for you to accept that you gotta write rage paragraphs online to strangers about it, then more power to you.

my point overall is that it's getting tiresome to hear people say "I want the classic Halo experience back" when I know for a fact that each Halo is different and unique in its own way, so people begging for Halo Infinite to be nothing but a copy and paste of the "classic experience" is just disappointing.
I wonder if the issue isn't you making a vague statement as a fact without actually going into it at all, while sitting on your own non-shared point of view of things. While others more generally are going to refer to the mechanics, especially when the thread Subject mentions "movement mechanics", which I'd guess means different types of mechanics related to moving, like sprint and thrusting.

As far as map navigation goes, and I'd love to hear more about how the different OG titles differ between each other in terms of navigating the maps, outside of the different utility tools/assets given to the players.
You say the higher jump height in Halo 3 make map navigation different than the others, in what way?
I'd say that a different map design approach would be a result of that possible different map navigation mentality however, as map designer decide when and where a player should easily get over something. Seeing as a jump function isn't going to help us much in terms of navigation if there's really no place on the map to use it at.

Oh look, the old "copy paste" thing again, fascinating. Additionally, another "knowing for a fact", without any sort of explanation.
Naqser wrote:

I wonder if the issue isn't you making a vague statement as a fact without actually going into it at all, while sitting on your own non-shared point of view of things. While others more generally are going to refer to the mechanics, especially when the thread Subject mentions "movement mechanics", which I'd guess means different types of mechanics related to moving, like sprint and thrusting.

As far as map navigation goes, and I'd love to hear more about how the different OG titles differ between each other in terms of navigating the maps, outside of the different utility tools/assets given to the players.
You say the higher jump height in Halo 3 make map navigation different than the others, in what way?
I'd say that a different map design approach would be a result of that possible different map navigation mentality however, as map designer decide when and where a player should easily get over something. Seeing as a jump function isn't going to help us much in terms of navigation if there's really no place on the map to use it at.

Oh look, the old "copy paste" thing again, fascinating. Additionally, another "knowing for a fact", without any sort of explanation.
Angry people like me, what is suggesting to you that I am angry? I'm not angry at all. 'This post is all over the place and almost makes no sense', 'And 4 playable species? Well if that's the case we might as well have playable AI so I can have a hacking and coding ability and turn Halo into Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect'. Your impolite way of communicating your opinion suggests that you are angry, a bit hypocritical don't you think? Also a Naqser so painfully had to reiterate, we were obviously talking about movement speed, do we have to describe every single detail of relevance to people like you. No.
When people talk about "movement", they mean the movement mechanics tied to the player (e.g. jumping, running, sprint, etc.), whereas things like man cannons and teleporters are generally regarded to be part of the map design, and not part of movement. In particular, no one has claimed that Bungie's map design didn't change significantly from Halo CE to 3.

When it comes to jump height, do you happen to know how much higher it is in Halo 3?

I'm afraid you're the only one here who has shown any signs of anger.

What people mean by "classic Halo" is not a carbon copy of any specific game. "Classic Halo" is just a generic term for Halo without any extra abilities given to the player at spawn (i.e., no Armor Abilities or Spartan Abilities), where the player spawns only with the most basic abilities, and needs to find everything else around the map. Thus, Halo CE, 2, and 3, despite any differences they may have, are all "classic Halo" games, whereas everything from Reach onwards is not.

Many people who prefer classic Halo to Halo 5 are quite open to design that deviates from the original trilogy, just not in the player mechanics department, and some may even be open to new base movement mechanics if a more cautious approach is taken than Halo 5 took. "Classic Halo" is not the same as "copy and paste of Halo CE/2/3".
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4