Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Multiplayer - Fortnite/CoD Warzone model?

OP Ken2379

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ken2379 wrote:
Ken2379 wrote:
Incorrect. Halo 2 and 3 had free maps, back when Halo was a leader not some trend follower.
Unless you're talking about Cold Storage, every other Halo 3 map pack had to be paid for. They didn't become free until a long time after release.

Having paid map or gameplay affecting dlc for multiplayer is a horrific idea outside of fighting games (don't agree with that either) but at least the model works.

Few games seem to have a thriving community after 12 months from release so it's important to culture this with continued support. This is pointless for a company however if there is no revenue attached.
Halo 2 DLC was made free 2 months after it came out if I remember correctly.
Ken2379 wrote:
Why do you want Halo to follow these trends? Let me be real clear here, the reason no one plays Halo anymore is precisely those reason you want, they followed trends and it failed. Why doesn't anyone want a Halo that bucks these trends and follows it's own path? Halo used to set trends not follow them.
Because they are proven to increase player population, longevity and you get continuous game support and a bunch of free maps and other content with this. Why wouldn't you want that?Halo has NEVER done this before.

Incorrect. Halo 2 and 3 had free maps, back when Halo was a leader not some trend follower.
You had to buy the Halo 2 maps, I remember because I personally have the DLC of the Original XBOX. And all Halo 3 maps had to be purchased, too. Until they all arrived on the second Halo 3 ODST CD.
ronnie42 wrote:
Not another 'Battle Royale', seriously they need to stay the hell away from Halo and no more stupid MT. The game needs to be a complete game, not full of predatory systems...had enough of those in Halo 5.
^ Agreed with this fully.

There's less and less originality these days. Everything has to be live service Fortnite type model.
I'm gonna have to say no my guy, it's a triple AAA game being published by Microsoft so it has enough money it doesn't need micro transactions at all, the only thing I could see is weapon skins you could buy that's it. Look at H5 it basically monetized the armor with req packs, most of the armor was garbage looking and the rare or legendary ones had the better looking ones either forcing you to grind or buy it (especially the reach pack) as for the 50v50 that would be cool but not a battle Royale because that takes a lot of development away from other key features such as game modes, playlist updates and the such it sucks a lot of development away. If infinite has a battle pass I hope it isn't monetized and is like Halo MCC's eliminating FOMO and not causing people to be pressured to buy something like that in a triple AAA game.
Ken2379 wrote:
Why do you want Halo to follow these trends? Let me be real clear here, the reason no one plays Halo anymore is precisely those reason you want, they followed trends and it failed. Why doesn't anyone want a Halo that bucks these trends and follows it's own path? Halo used to set trends not follow them.
Because they are proven to increase player population, longevity and you get continuous game support and a bunch of free maps and other content with this. Why wouldn't you want that?

Halo has NEVER done this before.

Has any game retained a strong online community after 20 years? Are we really expecting modern gamers to spend 5 years playing a single game? It was easier in the days of 360 as their was limited competition. But now gaming is heavily mainstream, it's a lot harder as many high quality online games are available. Not to mention the fact crossplay is a huge feature on many popular online games.

Having PC/console crossplay for Halo is a good step in the he right direction.

Halo will probably do extremely well in ten years time with a soft reboot. It's just how things are now.
Do you think people in this day and age want to play the same game for 5...or even 10 years!!! Heck no! There's so many games today then there ever was that most casual players will play something new every couple days maybe even everyday, so why is 343I/Microsoft targeting the casual gamer?? I know why, as they're hoping they can sucker them out of some money.

Depending on what model they use and what they have behind a paywall this could backfire in their face. I for one am already not even considering buying the campaign until much later as I see no point. You know they're probably going to release campaign DLC and the game won't be finished at lunch anyways, and since multiplayer is free to play why bother spending the money off the bat. I would easily argue over half the people that bought Halo bought it for multiplayer only and now they just lost that guaranteed revenue. Yes they're hoping to make it up with microtransactions and they should but you never know. It is a gamble.

As far as cross play goes with PC, I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with you on that that it's a good thing. People are fine with crossplay on things like campaign and firefight, but in something like say ranked play...not so much. I know I don't want to play against PC players in ranked. I want to play against console gamers only. Cross play between other consoles is big like say Xbox and PlayStation, but Not a lot of people want to go console versus PC.

And Halo might not do well at all in this so-called reboot, which is pretty much 343 pretending like none of the other games ever existed and now they're just making and doing whatever they want with Halo which yeah, technically they can, they own it but it's a pretty big disservice to a lot of long time hardcore fans.

I'm not saying infinite will be terrible but I've said it once and I'll say it again, I haven't seen anything in infinite so far that tells me they are trying to come to a compromise between old and new fans other than them trying to go back to more of a original art style. THAT'S IT! And in my opinion that's pretty sad. I'm sorry to say but in my opinion, 343I Have all but pretty much kicked old Halo fans to the curb, And don't say they have MCC because everyone wants something new every now and then.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2