Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Multiplayer Free-To-Play True Or A Lie?

OP SaviorNight

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
It's said Infinite's multiplayer will be free-to-play. Please tell me that's not true. If it becomes free-to-play, you know what that means right? Microtransactions and battle passes. Please don't let that be a reality. Halo doesn't need microtransactions, and it certainly does not need a battle pass.
What's your personal gripe with microtrasactions?

Not trying to argue, just find it really interesting as my own personal opinion is there are no downsides to microtrasactions.
Honestly, as a customer, I kinda do not have an issue with Microtransactions for any game that's going on game pass. The developers need to make money for their labor. As long as the transactions make sense I'd pay for some of them. For instance, I liked the executions in Halo 5. That's something I'd have no issue paying for.
Hot take: I hope it's free to play (only mp). I hope it has microtransactions (but only direct buys and cosmetics). I hope it has a battlepass system for FUTURE armors (Like MCC with no FOMO).
What’s the issue with microtransactions and a battle pass?

Personally I have no issue with either - although I would definitely prefer a battle pass over most options as it can easily prolong a game with seasons of content. Just wondering how they would execute the battle pass with all the armors. I’m sure it will be great either way.
If it’s true, it would be a very interesting pivot by Xbox. I thought the whole point of Infinite to them was to sell game pass. Making it F2P seems counterintuitive to me.

But, even if it’s not F2P, there still will be MTs and possibly a battle pass. It feels inevitable these days, especially with the games as a service model.
Cody15x wrote:
If it’s true, it would be a very interesting pivot by Xbox. I thought the whole point of Infinite to them was to sell game pass. Making it F2P seems counterintuitive to me.

But, even if it’s not F2P, there still will be MTs and possibly a battle pass. It feels inevitable these days, especially with the games as a service model.
It will be one game mode, I'm assuming it will be Battle Royale although could also be a massive team battle. I made a post the other day about it but with lots of weapon variations it means there is almost definitely plans for battle royale.
Cody15x wrote:

I think theyd still do the job they want if infinites campaign is tied to gamepass.
A lot of game companies are moving towards this as a feasible income source. Personally I am on the fence on this. On one hand, I hate microtransactions, on the other I like that its free and everyone doesn't have to buy the actual game. However, if there are microtransactions but its just for skins like armor sets, weapons, I'm okay with that. I know in Halo CE, they did a thing where if you picked up a weapon with your custom skin on it, yours will show in multiplayer when you pick it up. A lot of game industries have this now, but its cool to see in Halo Multiplayer. They should also return to the credit system in reach and make things more affordable AND certain insane challenges in campaign should unlock awesome looking armor sets that cant be unlocked by credits. Thats my take. Forget the req packs as well.
ummm nothing to worry about really in regards to micro transactions as 343 already stated the below.

Quote:
Microtransactions: Halo Infinite will not include real-money loot boxes
also Halo's multiplayer is Free to play on PC so.......
If they add the armor effects (like the armor effects you equip from Reach) back into a battle pass I will literally explode with excitement... maybe that’s only me lol.
Ken2379 wrote:
What's your personal gripe with microtrasactions?

Not trying to argue, just find it really interesting as my own personal opinion is there are no downsides to microtrasactions.
Mine:

Any grind that was going to be there for whatever cosmetics is going to be artificially inflated to make it more appealing to buy cosmetics.

The available pool of items may risk getting flooded with "trash" items for the sake of comparisons and again, be more willing to push cash their way.

In-game ads and reminders of the store front, if you accidentally missed the store front, or forgot that there's a store front which features items, you can buy, in the store front... Store front.

High focus from the devs on adding new microtransaction items, which can overshadow proper technical updates.

They, and the store front, did I mention that? The store front, are there to get your money with most legal means possible, through physological manipulation, like FOMO, comparisons to other players, and what else they can come up with.

Remember how people have wanted the player cards more visible?
I wouldn't be surprised if they go beyond that and shove each player's model into our face, especially those with "rarer" armor, in the lobby screen. All under the guise of "we listened, and now you've got your player cards visible and improved".
ummm nothing to worry about really in regards to micro transactions as 343 already stated the below.

Quote:
Yeah technically it's free to play on PC. Xbox people still have to pay a pass to just play multiplayer, which is sorta ridiculous in my opinion. I mean, they have been stuffing it with more rewards and what not, but still is that really worth it to people?

Quote:
I think the main problem with micro transactions, other than the RNG aspect, is that it undermines “being good” at the game. In order to have the coolest looking armor, all you have to do is spend money, instead of unlocking an achievement or some other in game accomplishment.
The way Mordern Warfare handles microtransaction is PERFECT in my opinion. I hope Infinite does the same thing.
Slickini wrote:
The way Mordern Warfare handles microtransaction is PERFECT in my opinion. I hope Infinite does the same thing.
My problem with Modern Warfare is that it makes certain types of customizations paywalled—the only way to get colored bullets is with money. I’d prefer a system where each type of customization is available for free by playing the game, while some options are paid items.
Cody15x wrote:

Quote:
I think the main problem with micro transactions, other than the RNG aspect, is that it undermines “being good” at the game. In order to have the coolest looking armor, all you have to do is spend money, instead of unlocking an achievement or some other in game accomplishment.
but in the quote i stated above you won't need to if anything if they did add some RNG aspect I imagine it would be something along the lines of Overwatch but without the option to outright buy things from the store using cash but rather in-game currency.
Microtransactions have already been confirmed, but we know they will not be real-money loot boxes (the most predatory kind of MTX).

Imo this is the best way to fund continual development while not unfairly gouging consumers.
You would still need Xbox live Gold then.
Cody15x wrote:

Quote:
but in the quote i stated above you won't need to if anything if they did add some RNG aspect I imagine it would be something along the lines of Overwatch but without the option to outright buy things from the store using cash but rather in-game currency.
But the quote only mentioned real money loot boxes. This allows them to do loot boxes with in-game currency as well as straight up buy armor/skins with real money—bypassing “working hard” for customizations.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3