Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Musical guest artists for Infinite's soundtrack

OP DINNCA DINNCA

Halo 2 has the best soundtrack in the series in my opinion, and this isn't just because of Marty's flawless compositions. Several musical guest artists contributed to the soundtrack, with widely recognized artists such as Breaking Benjamin, Incubus, and rock legend Steve Vai headlining the list with his killer shredding take on the main theme becoming an instant classic.

It would be very cool to see something similar with Infinite's soundtrack, and I'm sure Microsoft and/or 343 can get some notable artists into the studio just based on Halo's reputation alone.

I personally would love to see TOOL make a song or two for Infinite's soundtrack, as I believe their style of music can fit the Halo universe perfectly with the moody, atmospheric style of sound being a musical match made in heaven.

Which guest musical artists would you guys want to see contribute to Halo Infinite's soundtrack?
I'm a complete dork, but I'd be psyched out of my mind if they brought Breaking Benjamin back to do a track for any future Halo games. I really loved that band growing up and "Blow Me Away" being in Halo 2 really blew my mind.

As far as if that or anything else will actually happen? Really tough to say. I think it looks like Infinite is going after the orchestral sobriety of Halo CE and 3 rather than the electric adrenaline factor Halo 2 had. Could easily be wrong about this, though! As for whether I'd be down to hear TOOL in Halo? Possibly, although based on everything I've ever heard about that band, I wouldn't guess they'd be interested in the idea.
I'm writing my own Halo style composition right now. I totally agree with you on Halo 2 having the best soundtracks throughout halo.
I'm a complete dork, but I'd be psyched out of my mind if they brought Breaking Benjamin back to do a track for any future Halo games. I really loved that band growing up and "Blow Me Away" being in Halo 2 really blew my mind.

As far as if that or anything else will actually happen? Really tough to say. I think it looks like Infinite is going after the orchestral sobriety of Halo CE and 3 rather than the electric adrenaline factor Halo 2 had. Could easily be wrong about this, though! As for whether I'd be down to hear TOOL in Halo? Possibly, although based on everything I've ever heard about that band, I wouldn't guess they'd be interested in the idea.
It would definitely bring some hardcore nostalgia back to have some Breaking Benjamin blasting in the background while in the middle of an intense firefight, that's for sure.

I can definitely see what you mean when saying that Infinite seems to be going for a more traditional CE/3 style based on the music we've heard so far. However, I would argue that Halo 2's soundtrack largely follows the same format as the other two games, with very few exceptions in between. Somber, moody tracks like "Heretic Hero" and "Impend" coexist with more high energy tracks like the classic mjolnir mix and the always heart pumping "Unyielding". You could also argue that CE had elements of 2's adrenaline pumping style, with the classic badass track "Rock Anthem For Saving The World" being a prime example of this.

I agree TOOL may not be the most willing of musical artists to contribute to the soundtrack of such a commercially successful game, but who really knows? They may be big fans of the series.
I'm writing my own Halo style composition right now. I totally agree with you on Halo 2 having the best soundtracks throughout halo.
That sounds awesome! I would love to see what you've cooked up so far with your composition.

I always felt that 2 had the most impactful soundtrack out of all the others, though of course that's some tough competition. I can remember beginning Uprising for the first time and being in awe of the massive control room standing majestically in the morning fog of the beaches of Installation 05 while the haunting, tragic "Heavy Price Payed" plays somberly in the background. It's the insanely immersive moments like this that makes me hope 343 will be capable of reproducing, or at the very least paying homage to.
That sounds awesome! I would love to see what you've cooked up so far with your composition.

I always felt that 2 had the most impactful soundtrack out of all the others, though of course that's some tough competition. I can remember beginning Uprising for the first time and being in awe of the massive control room standing majestically in the morning fog of the beaches of Installation 05 while the haunting, tragic "Heavy Price Payed" plays somberly in the background. It's the insanely immersive moments like this that makes me hope 343 will be capable of reproducing, or at the very least paying homage to.
Yeah if you have an email I can send you what I got so far. I'm going to take all of Halo Infinite's footage and put the song over it. I'm trying to write it how Martin O'donnell would.

Yeah if you have an email I can send you what I got so far. I'm going to take all of Halo Infinite's footage and put the song over it. I'm trying to write it how Martin O'donnell would.
I DM'd you my email
Halo 2 has the best soundtrack in the series in my opinion, and this isn't just because of Marty's flawless compositions. Several musical guest artists contributed to the soundtrack, with widely recognized artists such as Breaking Benjamin, Incubus, and rock legend Steve Vai headlining the list with his killer shredding take on the main theme becoming an instant classic.

It would be very cool to see something similar with Infinite's soundtrack, and I'm sure Microsoft and/or 343 can get some notable artists into the studio just based on Halo's reputation alone.

I personally would love to see TOOL make a song or two for Infinite's soundtrack, as I believe their style of music can fit the Halo universe perfectly with the moody, atmospheric style of sound being a musical match made in heaven.

Which guest musical artists would you guys want to see contribute to Halo Infinite's soundtrack?
I’m so happy you made his post! Not only have I been thinking about posting something like this, but I also had TOOL in mind as well. I think their song “Reflection” off of Lateralus would feel right at home with Halo’s sound and sense of ancient wonder. In fact, I think there are definitely a few more songs by them that would definitely fit quite nicely.

I’d be open to other guest appearances too as long as it sounds Halo-ish and is introduced at the right moment in the campaign. It’s definitely a fun way to shake things up, and if a player has never heard of the band then that’s cool too as long as the music is good. Always loved “Blow me Away” by Breakimg Benjamin, and if I recal correctly I think I was a fan before I even played Halo 2. Such a nostalgia trip haha.
I want some hard rock guitar playing like in H2 to return.
Having Breaking Benjamin, Incubus, and Steve Vai in Halo 2 was more of a marketing move than something that needed to be there. Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori's music was beautiful, mysterious, haunting, and everything else that defined the Halo universe. Their music always matched the settings in which they were placed perfectly (abandoned research facilities, ancient ruins, space stations) and truly allowed those moments to be more than just video game levels. People may like Blow Me Away when the Master Chief is in the Mausoleum of the Arbiter during the civil war, but is it truly because that music needed to be there? Or is it because it's a band they recognize?

Halo 2 is my favorite Halo game, but licensed music is the last influence I'd like to see from that game in future releases. I'm looking at what's popular now, so what would Coldplay or Imagine Dragons add to Halo?
Having Breaking Benjamin, Incubus, and Steve Vai in Halo 2 was more of a marketing move than something that needed to be there. Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori's music was beautiful, mysterious, haunting, and everything else that defined the Halo universe. Their music always matched the settings in which they were placed perfectly (abandoned research facilities, ancient ruins, space stations) and truly allowed those moments to be more than just video game levels. People may like Blow Me Away when the Master Chief is in the Mausoleum of the Arbiter during the civil war, but is it truly because that music needed to be there? Or is it because it's a band they recognize?

Halo 2 is my favorite Halo game, but licensed music is the last influence I'd like to see from that game in future releases. I'm looking at what's popular now, so what would Coldplay or Imagine Dragons add to Halo?
I fail to see how adding guest artists was a marketing move when the only artist ever heard in a trailer or ad was Vai alone. Every other artist was heard in the soundtrack exclusively with no advertisement of their music to be found otherwise. While you may think that having such bands contribute to the soundtrack ruins the immersion in levels such as the Gravemind, the songs contributed by guest artists were appropriate in terms of the intensity of the moment, which is what drew many to love such moments within Halo 2. Sure, It was definitely some fan service for those who enjoyed such artists prior to 2's release, but the inclusion of these artists wasn't just for some thoughtless marketing ploy. The contrasts between the guest artists contributions and O'Donnell's compositions that you bring up are exactly what makes the guest artist's appearances so much more memorable and exciting for players.

If the soundtrack had more songs by guest artists, then perhaps I could see your point. However, there are so few songs contributed by them that are played so sparingly in the campaign that they take a very minimal amount of immersion out of those moments, if any at all. For example, the frantic guitar playing from incubus that plays during the banshee sequence during the Arbiter fits the chaotic and high-intensity setting extremely well. The epic tone of blow me away also fits the mausoleum scene as well, with the epic climax of the Great Schism on High Charity creating the appropriateness for the bombastic electric sound of the song. The vocals were also cut out of the songs played in the campaign to help keep the player immersed during these moments, another way to keep these guest contributions controlled for the sake of the player's experience. With the majority of the campaign's soundtrack already being of Marty's composition, I see no reason why taking these very few and far between isolated moments to include some interesting variety in the soundtrack is as much of an issue as you claim it is.

As for Imagine Dragons and Coldplay being the basic popular options for guest artists for Infinite, I would ask for you to not be so disingenuous as to compare Steve Vai, Breaking Benjamin, and Incubus to artists whose style of sound has no correlation to Halo's atmosphere. You may say that those artists who were previously chosen to appear on 2's soundtrack have no correlation to Halo's atmosphere as well, but to that I would say you do not understand the points that I have just made, or you simply choose to ignore them as I already have explained the appropriateness of the electric and gritty sound for the settings they are used in.

I fail to see how adding guest artists was a marketing move when the only artist ever heard in a trailer or ad was Vai alone. Every other artist was heard in the soundtrack exclusively with no advertisement of their music to be found otherwise. While you may think that having such bands contribute to the soundtrack ruins the immersion in levels such as the Gravemind, the songs contributed by guest artists were appropriate in terms of the intensity of the moment, which is what drew many to love such moments within Halo 2. Sure, It was definitely some fan service for those who enjoyed such artists prior to 2's release, but the inclusion of these artists wasn't just for some thoughtless marketing ploy. The contrasts between the guest artists contributions and O'Donnell's compositions that you bring up are exactly what makes the guest artist's appearances so much more memorable and exciting for players.

If the soundtrack had more songs by guest artists, then perhaps I could see your point. However, there are so few songs contributed by them that are played so sparingly in the campaign that they take a very minimal amount of immersion out of those moments, if any at all. For example, the frantic guitar playing from incubus that plays during the banshee sequence during the Arbiter fits the chaotic and high-intensity setting extremely well. The epic tone of blow me away also fits the mausoleum scene as well, with the epic climax of the Great Schism on High Charity creating the appropriateness for the bombastic electric sound of the song. The vocals were also cut out of the songs played in the campaign to help keep the player immersed during these moments, another way to keep these guest contributions controlled for the sake of the player's experience. With the majority of the campaign's soundtrack already being of Marty's composition, I see no reason why taking these very few and far between isolated moments to include some interesting variety in the soundtrack is as much of an issue as you claim it is.

As for Imagine Dragons and Coldplay being the basic popular options for guest artists for Infinite, I would ask for you to not be so disingenuous as to compare Steve Vai, Breaking Benjamin, and Incubus to artists whose style of sound has no correlation to Halo's atmosphere. You may say that those artists who were previously chosen to appear on 2's soundtrack have no correlation to Halo's atmosphere as well, but to that I would say you do not understand the points that I have just made, or you simply choose to ignore them as I already have explained the appropriateness of the electric and gritty sound for the settings they are used in.
Are you familiar with the concept of things spreading via word of mouth? Because even if they weren't advertised, everyone knows those three contributed music to the game as there was no way for it to go unnoticed. It's incredibly naive to assume that these artists were chosen because Bungie or Microsoft just really liked their music. They were chosen because they were popular, so another popular band would be chosen (regardless of whether or not they fit the Halo universe) if it were to happen again for Halo Infinite.

I'm not saying these artists detracted from Halo 2 as I like all but Breaking Benjamin's contributions, but what would've made Halo 2 a lesser game without them? Because you can have variety to your soundtrack in more ways than you seem to understand. Tracks like Ambient Wonder, Rock Anthem for Saving the World, and Peril offer great variety on their own while still fitting in with Halo's established sound. With the direction music's gone, Halo Infinite probably would be a lesser game with guest artists (see the Halo 4 UNSC weapons trailer which featured dubstep.)

I DM'd you my email
Nice! I'll send it to you when I get home from work
Get me some OG Guns'n'Roses.
Whether it by the composer themself or by a band, I would like to hear the electric guitar return in some form. While the soundtracks for the Halo titles that followed Halo 2 were excellent, there are times when the games set you up to feel like a badass and having the riff or two wouldn't have gone amiss.