My Thoughts Thus Far

OP HaloBungie343I

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
My thoughts on Halo Infinite based on what we know and expect:

I will start off with the campaign.

I find the initial showing of the campaign quite clean. Yes, a few graphical issues. But I have been playing Halo since 2001 and, for me, the graphics were not an issue. I was happy to see new weapons and ideas implemented and like the idea of a grapple hook. The story seems interesting amd the map size and scope is very reminiscent of Halo: ODST. I am looking forward to seeing if John gets a new A.I. or something else. I wish 343 Industries brought back the Halo 1 Magnum, but not going to make a huge deal out of its exclusion. I think the shield recharge is a little much as we last saw. But I am sure that will be ironed out. Would I pay $60 for the campaign? Absolutely.

Now for the multiplayer.

I have my concerns like everyone else. With the latest developments regarding "Coatings" I am losing faith in the multiplayer aspect of the game. But there is a separate topic for that. So I won't elaborate on it. I am kind of excited for Forge and Custom games. But as Halo is going to be F2P, I know this means the game will be plagued by hackers, smurfs, and full of toxicity. There are rumors spreading about a Battle Royale mode as well. I have said it before, I'll say it again, Battle Royale in general is not a bad idea. But I would rather let the community manage that via Forge rather than it be an official game mode. Is the multiplayer worth it? Depends for me. If they take Halo 5's multiplayer and improve upon it, I may think it is worth it. But right now, I am losing faith. I will be waiting for the Beta to make a final call.

Is this a Halo worth getting excited over? I think it's best to lower expectations a little. Not too much. But the game, as of now, is probably not GOTY worthy. I am sure it will be a decent Halo. Probably a campaign better than Halo 4, 5, and ODST. But I don't see this doing much to replace my love for Halo 1 and 2.

All I can do is wish 343 Industries good luck. The community is easily forgiving. But everyone eventually has a breaking point. This will be the third attempt at a Main Line Halo game. And the results look like a repeat of Halo 4 but a stronger campaign.
Well said OP. Honestly I want the game to succeed, but I'm not sure what to make of it currently. Just gotta wait and see but wish we could have more info about the game. I agree with what you about Battle Royale. Leave it to the Forge/Custom game community. Just give them proper tools to do it. That said, I don't wanna see them add a Battle Royale especially after they practically said they wouldn't.
What is the problem with Battle Royal? Its a hugely successful game mode (Fortnite - Warzone) that proves people want it. if you're so against that mode simply don't play it, by continuously putting it down you're actively suppressing what I personally find fun, I want a BR mode because its one of the game modes I really have a lot of fun in. Do I say don't make SWAT because I don't like it? no. This mentality needs to change, I've wanted a BR mode in Halo since Halo 2 before I even knew BR was a mode.
Again, don't like it don't play it but don't ruin it for those who want it. Anything unofficial generally doesn't bring the player base with it, so official BR mode is required over forge.
What is the problem with Battle Royal? Its a hugely successful game mode (Fortnite - Warzone) that proves people want it. if you're so against that mode simply don't play it, by continuously putting it down you're actively suppressing what I personally find fun, I want a BR mode because its one of the game modes I really have a lot of fun in. Do I say don't make SWAT because I don't like it? no. This mentality needs to change, I've wanted a BR mode in Halo since Halo 2 before I even knew BR was a mode.
Again, don't like it don't play it but don't ruin it for those who want it. Anything unofficial generally doesn't bring the player base with it, so official BR mode is required over forge.
My concern with battle Royale is that it would take away from other modes. If they do; they need to also include every mode that the players enjoy. But I see it as a “here’s battle Royale, but you can’t do BTB anymore, no firefight, we might bring capture the flag later” sort of thing. I also thing it’s becoming a tired mode personally. If they make it have a battle Royale mode fair enough, but I want majority of the dedication to modes that matter for halo players.
My concern with battle Royale is that it would take away from other modes. If they do; they need to also include every mode that the players enjoy. But I see it as a “here’s battle Royale, but you can’t do BTB anymore, no firefight, we might bring capture the flag later” sort of thing. I also thing it’s becoming a tired mode personally. If they make it have a battle Royale mode fair enough, but I want majority of the dedication to modes that matter for halo players.
I agree providing it doesn't take away from the following

-Slayer
-BTB
-CTR
-King of the Kill
-Odd Ball
-Assault
-Juggernaut
-Swat
-VIP

if they make it into the game AT LAUNCH, Battle Royal will be a fine addition.
It has to do with development time. I'd rather them pool more money and resources towards campaign or standard multiplayer.
It has to do with development time. I'd rather them pool more money and resources towards campaign or standard multiplayer.
They have multiple studios working on it and more than enough staff to cover battle royal on its own without hurting other playlist. Problem is getting it all done in time due to COVID.
You were going so well...
...The community is easily forgiving...
Bzzt. Next...
The community on a whole (or at least what is vocal in the forums) is resistant to change... especially changing to anything that worked for another franchise. If it wasn't in Halo 2 or 3 it's going to be a tough sell.
Darwi wrote:
The community on a whole (or at least what is vocal in the forums) is resistant to change... especially changing to anything that worked for another franchise. If it wasn't in Halo 2 or 3 it's going to be a tough sell.
"if it wasn't in Halo 2-3 its a hard sell" isn't that just the truth, we call this gate keeping lol I've played Halo since CE release I want change I want Halo to evolve and have the new generations playing Halo.
Darwi wrote:
Honestly I do see what you mean.I'm all for evolving the series. I think that there are ways to do it without making Halo just like every other mainstream game out there. There's nothing wrong with feeling this way. Halo has been a trendsetter in the past. Why should it follow alot of other trends now? I'm not against taking inspiration from other games, but Halo doesn't need to copy and paste a bunch of other things into their game because its currently popular. I still think the Forge community would be better suited with creating a BR mode. Look at Sean W's channel on YT. Looks fun for sure. I just don't see it for the better to make it a core part of the games multiplayer. Just have a solid customs browser and all will be great.
Also a few things.
I'm not putting the game mode down. I never said it would be a bad mode. Never said it couldn't work either. I just see a few problems with it being in Matchmaking.
Are we forgetting that 343i said they had no interest making a Battle Royale?
Suggestion:
A game mode for 50v50 players. It's similar to Invasion but also has aspects of Warzone. For humans, there will be additional enemies on the map like warzone and maybe the elites/banished players will be allies to them? I recommend taking some pages out of Halo 4s dominion game mode also. Halo Reach and even Halo 3 I believe, planned to bring large scale vehicle battles into the series. Expand on these ideas.The tools for a great large scale game mode are all here within Halo.
Darwi wrote:
"if it wasn't in Halo 2-3 its a hard sell" isn't that just the truth, we call this gate keeping lol I've played Halo since CE release I want change I want Halo to evolve and have the new generations playing Halo.
So Doom should be more child friendly? The demons and such should just conform to a younger audience? CoD? GTA? I completely understand you wanting the new gen to experience Halo. I feel the same. I would like to see Halo pull a rabbit out of their hats and draw people away from Fortnite and such. I just don't think putting parts of what drew other people to Halo, on the altar of attracting the new gen of kids, is the best play. Think about what Halo is. A military sci-fi first person shooter. That alone says maybe not aimed at a child audience. Will the Flood(if they even appear) be anything to be scared over? Will they still be all nasty and such? Or will they dumbed down for the new generation?What drew me to Halo was the atmosphere. The giant ring world. The beautiful scenery. The guns. The gunning down of aliens who want to kill you and seeing plenty of violence along the way. Halo 5 feels shallow and unnatural compared to the atmosphere of Halo CE-4. I'll say this. You aren't wrong in what you believe. I'm aware of my position on the situation.
Honestly I think other game modes are going to suffer to better enhance the br mode. Not that I am opposed to br...just making an observation with the information we have been given thus far in how to enhance player expression turned into taking our ability to pick our colors for the coating system. I think there will be some level of give and take in order for a BR to come to fruition
Similar to what the majority of the posts said, a BR will take away development time from other parts of the game.
However, the best option to implement a BR is to maximize the amount of resources 343 has, unlike what happened with Halo 5's warzone game mode at launch. A BR usually requires big pallets, playspaces, etc to accomdate for the large scale battles but you know what else would benefit from a large pallet? Forge.

Instead of BR being completely selective to its own playlist, let some of the features apply to other sections of the game. This could also make the process of creating large scale warfare battles easier, (Something I noticed the community are in favor of)as the BR already facilitates that large map/pallet. Sure, it may be a bit lazy but it's a much better option than a bare bones game.

Darwi wrote:
Yes, they're resistant to change because most of the change that has been occuring has been irregular, replacements or a step back for Halo.

Instead of adding on to the magnum design, 343 replaced it with the generic sidekick before the delay was announced.

Instead of adding on to the color customization they changed it through coatings that are likely to be monetized.

Instead of adding onto the progression system(credits, merit, etc) they changed it into a frustrating random microtransaction system, known as REQ packs.

Instead of adding onto the artstyle they completely changed/replaced it in halo 5 and 4.

Then you have the controversial base mechanics.

If you look at games like BO3 and Infinte warfare these games give lots of changes, players have all these cool base mechanics such as wallrunning, wouldn't that be cool? These base mechanics aren't restrictive and they're very intuitive?

But you saw how well those games were taken by the COD community.

Now i'm not saying all changes were bad from 343 or change should not apply to halo games. (HW2 banished artstyle for example)

But change should make sense in the halo franchise, instead of replacing add on!
They really just need to give us more info. Since the gameplay reveal, we were only drip-fed information and most of that has been really disappointing. We really need a multiplayer reveal and transparent information on how microtransactions will work.
Similar to what the majority of the posts said, a BR will take away development time from other parts of the game.
However, the best option to implement a BR is to maximize the amount of resources 343 has, unlike what happened with Halo 5's warzone game mode at launch. A BR usually requires big pallets, playspaces, etc to accomdate for the large scale battles but you know what else would benefit from a large pallet? Forge.

Instead of BR being completely selective to its own playlist, let some of the features apply to other sections of the game. This could also make the process of creating large scale warfare battles easier, (Something I noticed the community are in favor of)as the BR already facilitates that large map/pallet. Sure, it may be a bit lazy but it's a much better option than a bare bones game.

Darwi wrote:
Yes, they're resistant to change because most of the change that has been occuring has been irregular, replacements or a step back for Halo.

Instead of adding on to the magnum design, 343 replaced it with the generic sidekick before the delay was announced.

Instead of adding on to the color customization they changed it through coatings that are likely to be monetized.

Instead of adding onto the progression system(credits, merit, etc) they changed it into a frustrating random microtransaction system, known as REQ packs.

Instead of adding onto the artstyle they completely changed/replaced it in halo 5 and 4.

Then you have the controversial base mechanics.

If you look at games like BO3 and Infinte warfare these games give lots of changes, players have all these cool base mechanics such as wallrunning, wouldn't that be cool? These base mechanics aren't restrictive and they're very intuitive?

But you saw how well those games were taken by the COD community.

Now i'm not saying all changes were bad from 343 or change should not apply to halo games. (HW2 banished artstyle for example)

But change should make sense in the halo franchise, instead of replacing add on!
^Thank you.
From a nostalgic angle, I get where you're coming from. I personally have my hopes high for this game as I do with all other Halo titles. They never dissappointed me personally as all their titles have brought me a smile, although there are some aspects in past titles that I believe could've been better. I think we should really give them a chance on the armor coating part since we don't know much about the customizations yet, we just saw a small glimpse and I think their hand was forced there a bit since it was sort of leaked due to the other promotions (plus when do you hear 343 talking about specific customizations so early and we haven't even seen multiplayer yet). I think 343 knows what they're doing with Halo Infinite. Just keep an open mind and you'll be happier.
Agreed. I have no problem with a battle Royale, but I don't want it to take away from the rest of the game. If its like modern warfare than great, if its like black ops 4 (with the rest of the game sucking), thats what I'm worried about. I just want a good campaign and good multiplayer and forge. I personally liked the demo overall, yes the visuals weren't great but that will improve and the gameplay looked fun.
Darwi wrote:
Bzzt. Next...
Read the next line. Don't take my comments out of context and misrepresent them. What are you? The American Media?
Darwi wrote:
Bzzt. Next...
Read the next line. Don't take my comments out of context and misrepresent them. What are you? The American Media?
And the next line is...
Quote:
But everyone eventually has a breaking point.
Bzzt. Strike two... the community is permanently broken...

PS. I'm being somewhat facetious...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2