Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

My thoughts.

OP Kashyy

Everything looked okay, but personally I think the removal of Spartan abilities just made this a generic run and gun style arena shooter featuring the grapple hook.
I mean you still have sprint, slide and clamber so it's not too much of a loss. Quite frankly I did not like spartan charge and ground pound.
I mean you still have sprint, slide and clamber so it's not too much of a loss. Quite frankly I did not like spartan charge and ground pound.
None of those should even be called abilities tbh. They're basic mechanics. I think the only ability worth keeping was the thrusters and stabilize. Not charge or pound. Just my 2 cents, but we've seen that they've all been taken out since they're all tied to the thruster pack itself I believe. Unless it becomes a map pick up in a seasonal update we're pretty much back to the basics. That's as bare bones as halo movement can get in 2021.

And my basics I'm referring to our spawn traits.

Also to the OP, nothing about halo is generic. There's really no other game like it. It just plays so significantly different than other fps games.
You still have three abilities even if they aren't to your liking.
I am very interested to seeing how the grappling hook actually plays with. It is my biggest question mark and concern from a mechanics standpoint, I think that it could be done well but it will be very difficult to pull it off well.
Pheinted wrote:
None of those should even be called abilities tbh. They're basic mechanics. I think the only ability worth keeping was the thrusters and stabilize. Not charge or pound. Just my 2 cents, but we've seen that they've all been taken out since they're all tied to the thruster pack itself I believe. Unless it becomes a map pick up in a seasonal update we're pretty much back to the basics. That's as bare bones as halo movement can get in 2021.

And my basics I'm referring to our spawn traits.

Also to the OP, nothing about halo is generic. There's really no other game like it. It just plays so significantly different than other fps games.
I agree on the generic part. It is not by any means. I just thought the decision to remove thrust and stabilize was a poor decision. Halo 5 to me is the pinnacle for multi-layered gameplay. And with infinite, it just feels a step back from that.
Kashyy wrote:
Everything looked okay, but personally I think the removal of Spartan abilities just made this a generic run and gun style arena shooter featuring the grapple hook.
I understand your concerns, but let's play it first. You can only discern so much from a trailer.
I didn't see a clamber in the demo
Really hoping these abilities aren't in the HCS variants. 99% that they won't be but still....
It was in the campaign demo that released like a year ago.
It was in the campaign demo that released like a year ago.
Oh... cool
I still think they're fighting a losing battle trying to find a happy medium between classic movement and enhanced mobility. Fans of one or the other will NEVER be happy with the compromises made to appease the other group. Fans of classic movement rightfully don't feel that the removal of Ground-Pound and Spartan Charge really make the overall movement resemble that of Halo CE-3, and fans of H5's enhanced mobility just hate that these features are going away.
I'm sad if you lose Thruster pack .

But I'm also happy to know Camo is again a bonus to pick and not an Armor Power anymore (Should never have been the case imo)
I still think they're fighting a losing battle trying to find a happy medium between classic movement and enhanced mobility. Fans of one or the other will NEVER be happy with the compromises made to appease the other group. Fans of classic movement rightfully don't feel that the removal of Ground-Pound and Spartan Charge really make the overall movement resemble that of Halo CE-3, and fans of H5's enhanced mobility just hate that these features are going away.
Problem for me personally, and this goes for not fans of the first game but fans of the series when it first came out - that statement entails, the books, the game, the figures, the lore, everything - we found the game surprisingly to be off-lore: Clunky heavy slow spartan that jumps 30 inches off the ground.

When reading the novels, I was so blown away by the capabilities of the Spartan II's that the games just made me beg for something next gen. Halo 5 released and everything from Shoulder Charge to Stabilize while aiming in mid-air to Ground Pound to clambering with speed and sprinting finally made the Spartans feel like....well, Spartans. As a fan of the series not just a video game based on the series, Halo 5 finally got it right and accurate and lo and behold it made it UNQIUE and that had a side effect: the game was fun! It is a blast to play. As someone who isn't very good at these games yet is a player who employs the use of all these "abilities", I have never felt they break the game or unbalance it.

I'm sick of the same usual boring repetitive nature of fps games and I'm tired of the master "meta" weapons every week or die nature of CoD. Halo 5 was a fresh breath of air that I will choose to play over any of these games any day. It was like the Battlefield of Halo. But instead of needing planes and cars and boats and tanks u just needed you - a Spartan - to feel that sandbox anything can happen full of holy -Yoink- did u see that moments.

And that's gone now. Halo Infinite is soooo...finite.
RECON FX wrote:
Problem for me personally, and this goes for not fans of the first game but fans of the series when it first came out - that statement entails, the books, the game, the figures, the lore, everything - we found the game surprisingly to be off-lore: Clunky heavy slow spartan that jumps 30 inches off the ground.

When reading the novels, I was so blown away by the capabilities of the Spartan II's that the games just made me beg for something next gen. Halo 5 released and everything from Shoulder Charge to Stabilize while aiming in mid-air to Ground Pound to clambering with speed and sprinting finally made the Spartans feel like....well, Spartans. As a fan of the series not just a video game based on the series, Halo 5 finally got it right and accurate and lo and behold it made it UNQIUE and that had a side effect: the game was fun! It is a blast to play. As someone who isn't very good at these games yet is a player who employs the use of all these "abilities", I have never felt they break the game or unbalance it.

I'm sick of the same usual boring repetitive nature of fps games and I'm tired of the master "meta" weapons every week or die nature of CoD. Halo 5 was a fresh breath of air that I will choose to play over any of these games any day. It was like the Battlefield of Halo. But instead of needing planes and cars and boats and tanks u just needed you - a Spartan - to feel that sandbox anything can happen full of holy -Yoink- did u see that moments.

And that's gone now. Halo Infinite is soooo...finite.
The same people that say infinite is going to be great are the same people that dismissed halo 4 multiplayer (specifically legendary slayer)… which is basically infinite with a new coat of paint.