Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Need confirmation of the PILUM rocket launcher

OP JohnDang55

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I am surprised the SPNKr was shown in the community update instead of PILUM rocket launcher from Halo 5. I don’t understand why 343 wants to go backwards because right now the way you carry ammo for the SPNKr is ridiculous. You have to carry the launcher with tubes equipped plus 4 more pair of tubes.

Its not very realistic for a game that tries to be as realistic as possible while the PILUM makes sense functionally with its magazine fed rockets. SPNKr works in the game because ammo has no mass or take up volume but when you try and do tv shows and movies or cosplay with it, it’s just gonna be too heavy and too cumbersome.

I am disappointed in 343. And this last community update is just another reason that a hardcore Halo fan like me will not buy Halo 6.

Edit: There need to be clarification on this, my mind of not buying Halo 6 was made up the moment the trailer came out. The latest community update was to convince to go back and invest in the game.
Assuming that this is either;

a) Sarcasm (in which case well played)
or
b) Trolling.
I know you’re trolling, but there’s nothing about this series that has ever tried to be hyperrealistic.
mattrl117 wrote:
I know you’re trolling, but there’s nothing about this series that has ever tried to be hyperrealistic.
How am I trolling? You can’t expect marines and ODST to be lugging around spare SPNKr tubes? I am being dead serious.
JohnDang55 wrote:
How am I trolling? You can’t expect marines and ODST to be lugging around spare SPNKr tubes? I am being dead serious.
You mean how they lug around spare SPNKr tubes in literally every Halo game besides H5? Like I said, there’s nothing about the series that even remotely tries to be hyperrealistic.
Trolling aside, I was pretty stoked to see the SPNKR. I was also sort of hoping the spartan we saw behind it was Fred... similar looking armor but maybe not quite similar enough. Hoping that we get to see the old shotgun and magnum as well as a DMR that looks more like Halo Reach than.... whatever that was in Halo 5.

Hoping to see Blue Team and the rest of our favorite characters!
Well, the hate towards the Pillum on the community always seemed exagerated and childish imo, but I'm glad 343 added the SPNKr later in Halo 5 so we could have both Rocket Launchers in the game. I think both have their uniqueness and both are cool. Wish we could see them all in Infinite so we can finally stop these discussions that lead nowhere.
Last time I checked, Halo was far from being realistic! 😂

The majority of people prefer the SPNKr rocket launcher look and design (including myself) to the ugly, generic looking PILUM rocket launcher. Sorry, You're in the minority here.

Oh and if you wouldn't buy or play Halo Infinite just because your rocket launcher isn't in the game, is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'm sure you'll still play and buy it if your as hardcore as you say 😉
You should know that many fans across the community greatly disliked the H5 Rocket Launcher, and wanted the SPKR to return (myself included).
I think it's awesome. I've wanted them to go back to the old art style so I'm happy with the mixed style Infinite has. Maybe the H5 launcher will be there too, we don't know. I liked the update they gave us a lot, minus the coatings bs.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I disagree, Pilum nver felt like an actuall "Halo" rocket launcher to me
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
JohnDang55 wrote:
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
Realism matters less in games because truly realistic games aren't fun to most people. When i'm playing Halo, i'm not like "How can marines survive after being shot with plasma? They should at least be incapacitated!" The reason people think you're a troll is because this community has realism on the backburner. It's just not important.
mattrl117 wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
How am I trolling? You can’t expect marines and ODST to be lugging around spare SPNKr tubes? I am being dead serious.
You mean how they lug around spare SPNKr tubes in literally every Halo game besides H5? Like I said, there’s nothing about the series that even remotely tries to be hyperrealistic.
And to consider the fact we’re gonna be a Friendly Neighbourhood SpiderSpartan swinging around with a Grapple at the end of the day Realism doesn’t really matter, it’s just a game
JohnDang55 wrote:
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
Realism isn't all important. We are able to reload a new magazine of ammo after every single bullet. Spartans don't move remotely as they should in the Halo lore.

Im sure someone reloading a rocket launcher with a tube is an irrelevant problem.
JohnDang55 wrote:
I am surprised the SPNKr was shown in the community update instead of PILUM rocket launcher from Halo 5. I don’t understand why 343 wants to go backwards because right now the way you carry ammo for the SPNKr is ridiculous. You have to carry the launcher with tubes equipped plus 4 more pair of tubes.

Its not very realistic for a game that tries to be as realistic as possible while the PILUM makes sense functionally with its magazine fed rockets. SPNKr works in the game because ammo has no mass or take up volume but when you try and do tv shows and movies or cosplay with it, it’s just gonna be too heavy and too cumbersome.

I am disappointed in 343. And this last community update is just another reason that a hardcore Halo fan like me will not buy Halo 6.
Yea I agree, I love the spnkr it's cool but the additional ammo is just silly. But it's also like the grapple shot though. Where does all of that cable come from seriously one scene chief easily has a line of 300 feet like that cable cant just disappear into oblivion. Spnkr should be extra powerful with no additional ammo
JohnDang55 wrote:
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
I think you miss the point of escapism. We are leaving reality mentally speaking, and joining a world imagined by someone else. It doesn't need to be excessively realistic, it just needs to be cool and interesting.

Plus this game isn't even that realistic to begin with. Humans wouldn't even be using bullets 500 years into the future well modern technology is already looking into alternatives. Not to mention were fighting fanatic space aliens on a giant anti SOB hoola hoop.

I do agree that both designs should be catered too, but when it boils down to it cool is more memorable then real, as real will fade into obscurity like all the many FPS cod clones out there.

Edit : here's another example for my point. Imagine yourself walking through a neighborhood, you've marched past at least a dozen brown houses that all look pretty much the same. Then you come upon a bright pink mansion that looks like it's literally just reflecting sunlight.

Which out of all the houses are you most likely to remember?

Granted the bright pink house isn't very realistic, but can you even tell me what color all the other houses were without going back and checking? One of them is definitely going to stand out in a crowd.
JohnDang55 wrote:
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
Realism matters less in games because truly realistic games aren't fun to most people. When i'm playing Halo, i'm not like "How can marines survive after being shot with plasma? They should at least be incapacitated!" The reason people think you're a troll is because this community has realism on the backburner. It's just not important.
Halo marine BDU is how they survive plasma, don’t you read up any of the halo wikis?

In fact every species has some form of armour for each of their soldiers that allows them to survive against all weaponry. If I recall the marine BDU is designed to disperse heat making it effective against plasma.
sniper945 wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
I think you miss the point of escapism. We are leaving reality mentally speaking, and joining a world imagined by someone else. It doesn't need to be excessively realistic, it just needs to be cool and interesting.

Plus this game isn't even that realistic to begin with. Humans wouldn't even be using bullets 500 years into the future well modern technology is already looking into alternatives. Not to mention were fighting fanatic space aliens on a giant anti SOB hoola hoop.

I do agree that both designs should be catered too, but when it boils down to it cool is more memorable then real, as real will fade into obscurity like all the many FPS cod clones out there.

Edit : here's another example for my point. Imagine yourself walking through a neighborhood, you've marched past at least a dozen brown houses that all look pretty much the same. Then you come upon a bright pink mansion that looks like it's literally just reflecting sunlight.

Which out of all the houses are you most likely to remember?

Granted the bright pink house isn't very realistic, but can you even tell me what color all the other houses were without going back and checking? One of them is definitely going to stand out in a crowd.
Halo as a whole has been trying to be excessively realistic as possible they even got those Machine Accelerating Cannons calculations worked out.

Every finite detail has been explained, Halo isn’t sci fi nonsense like Star Wars; where you are made to believe that a Star ship less than 2km long can blow up a planet when 2 or 3 decades ago they needed a 120 diameter Death Star to do the job.

I’m trying to explain this in a bigger picture because Halo as a whole is a franchise it isn’t just games, when they are multiple tv shows, movies, cosplay’s and more books the PILUM rocket launcher will be needed more than the SPNKr.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4