Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Need confirmation of the PILUM rocket launcher

OP JohnDang55

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Spoonsor wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I probably should have not said that. What I should have meant was that technology is supposed to be a given or expected to exist in all sci fi settings, especially 532 years into the future.
Interesting, so you blindly look past the unrealistic idea of artificial gravity because "Science should have that figured out by now" but as soon as a rocket launcher has 2 launching tubes its unrealistic? Again, absolutely galaxy brained. If you don't like the old rocket launcher that is fine, just don't try and lie to yourself about what the reasons are.
You don’t get it, artificial gravity is a necessary technology in order for spaceships and space stations to be used. Halo cannot begin to function as a story if you can’t operate space ships.
I said the fact that the SPNKr ammunition is in the form of the tubes a person would have to carry 4 sets of tubes on their back which is cumbersome and is hard to justify it as being lore accurate. If it’s was the SPNKr EM then yeah it’s feasible, but since it’s not you have to be carrying a belt where the tubes will be lined by your shoulder down to under your butt.

The problem here is 343 attitude that they prioritised the SPNKr over the PILUM in the community update.
JohnDang55 wrote:
Spoonsor wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I probably should have not said that. What I should have meant was that technology is supposed to be a given or expected to exist in all sci fi settings, especially 532 years into the future.
Interesting, so you blindly look past the unrealistic idea of artificial gravity because "Science should have that figured out by now" but as soon as a rocket launcher has 2 launching tubes its unrealistic? Again, absolutely galaxy brained. If you don't like the old rocket launcher that is fine, just don't try and lie to yourself about what the reasons are.
You don’t get it, artificial gravity is a necessary technology in order for spaceships and space stations can be used. I said the fact that the SPNKr ammunition is in the form of the tubes a person would have to carry 4 sets of tubes on their back which is cumbersome.
The problem here is 343 attitude that they prioritised the SPNKr over the PILUM in the community update.
Video game = gameplay > realism
go play ARMA or some tank sim game man
Quote:
You don’t get it, artificial gravity is a necessary technology in order for spaceships and space stations to be used. Halo cannot begin to function as a story if you can’t operate space ships.
I said the fact that the SPNKr ammunition is in the form of the tubes a person would have to carry 4 sets of tubes on their back which is cumbersome and is hard to justify it as being lore accurate. If it’s was the SPNKr EM then yeah it’s feasible, but since it’s not you have to be carrying a belt where the tubes will be lined by your shoulder down to under your butt.The problem here is 343 attitude that they prioritised the SPNKr over the PILUM in the community update.
What is so hard to believe about literal rockets being large and cumbersome? They literally display how cumbersome the rocket launcher ammo is through gameplay by strictly limiting the amount of ammunition you can carry. Also, as commando554 has so elegantly pointed out: Gameplay>realism. That has always been the priority of the developers.
How about this, if halo is a "realistic" game as you say, explain how the needler fits into your definition. Its needles are made of a substance that doesn't exist as far as we know, it has zero moving parts, and even the in game lore doesn't have an explanation for how it works other than "Crystal make target go pink boom".
Spoonsor wrote:
Quote:
You don’t get it, artificial gravity is a necessary technology in order for spaceships and space stations to be used. Halo cannot begin to function as a story if you can’t operate space ships.
I said the fact that the SPNKr ammunition is in the form of the tubes a person would have to carry 4 sets of tubes on their back which is cumbersome and is hard to justify it as being lore accurate. If it’s was the SPNKr EM then yeah it’s feasible, but since it’s not you have to be carrying a belt where the tubes will be lined by your shoulder down to under your butt.The problem here is 343 attitude that they prioritised the SPNKr over the PILUM in the community update.
What is so hard to believe about literal rockets being large and cumbersome? They literally display how cumbersome the rocket launcher ammo is through gameplay by strictly limiting the amount of ammunition you can carry. Also, as commando554 has so elegantly pointed out: Gameplay>realism. That has always been the priority of the developers.
How about this, if halo is a "realistic" game as you say, explain how the needler fits into your definition. Its needles are made of a substance that doesn't exist as far as we know, it has zero moving parts, and even the in game lore doesn't have an explanation for how it works other than "Crystal make target go pink boom".
I said before that the covenant and forerunner weapons delve into science fiction much more than their UNSC counterparts.

The SPNKr and PILUM function the same gameplay wise. SPNKr has more firerate but longer reload time, while PILUM has faster reload, explosive radius and slightly higher projectile speed.
You can carry 8 extra rockets so 4 sets of extra tubes. The PILUM being in the game and having more importance is a push for better lore and considering how hard 343 botched the story of Halo 5 after doing so well with Halo 4, they can’t be cutting corners.

And if there is any doubt, I love both rockets in fact I had a blast with the SPNKr Prime today and just learned you can carry atleast 12 extra rockets.with ita

343 needs to send us a message that they care about the lore of the game and they can do not by putting the importance of the PILUM over the SPNKr in the community update.
I am saying this because I want everything properly covered in Halo 6.
JohnDang55 wrote:
343 needs to send us a message that they care about the lore of the game
But.... they don't.
At least they haven't in any of their prior games.
Halo 4 retconned the entire backstory of the Halo universe, the history of the Forerunners, Flood and all other species in the galaxy. H5G then began retconning Halo 4, amongst other things.
What makes you think that any more consideration is put into Infinite?
Celestis wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
343 needs to send us a message that they care about the lore of the game
But.... they don't.
At least they haven't in any of their prior games.
Halo 4 retconned the entire backstory of the Halo universe, the history of the Forerunners, Flood and all other species in the galaxy. H5G then began retconning Halo 4, amongst other things.
What makes you think that any more consideration is put into Infinite?
But Halo 4 was done so well, I mean we got the 3 fantastic forerunner books, such as Halo Cryptum, Halo Silentium and Halo: Priomordium. The lore got so much better and they only real retcon was forerunners were ancestors of humans.

Halo 5 I understand with Cortana but the main lore problem was it did continue after Halo 4 that well.
Quote:
I said before that the covenant and forerunner weapons delve into science fiction much more than their UNSC counterparts.The SPNKr and PILUM function the same gameplay wise. SPNKr has more firerate but longer reload time, while PILUM has faster reload, explosive radius and slightly higher projectile speed.
You can carry 8 extra rockets so 4 sets of extra tubes. The PILUM being in the game and having more importance is a push for better lore and considering how hard 343 botched the story of Halo 5 after doing so well with Halo 4, they can’t be cutting corners.And if there is any doubt, I love both rockets in fact I had a blast with the SPNKr Prime today and just learned you can carry atleast 12 extra rockets.with ita343 needs to send us a message that they care about the lore of the game and they can do not by putting the importance of the PILUM over the SPNKr in the community update.
I am saying this because I want everything properly covered in Halo 6.
*announcer voice* Goalpost moved
Just a tip, when trying to troll don't go over the top. The whole "I'm gonna quit if the pickle rocket launcher isn't in the game" was a bit too much.
Just a tip, when trying to troll don't go over the top. The whole "I'm gonna quit if the pickle rocket launcher isn't in the game" was a bit too much.
I never said that. I already had no intention of getting the game. This community update gave me another reason not to change my mind. Big difference.
The SPNKr isn't even that unrealistic. I mean, disposable Rocket launcher are a thing. Almost all man mounted rocket launchers are single use in fact! Those that can be "reloaded" are - by my knowledge - technically speaking not even rocket launchers. Those are RPGs, in other words rocket propelled frags: cheap, no real control over trajectory, only really effective in guerrilla combat scenarios and not at all ideal for a Halo battlefield.

This is the genius factor of a SPANKr, it basically is a rocket launcher holster for the actual launcher! A huge issue of disposable RLs in Vietnam was, that they are made of fibre glass rather than metal. Terrorist often repurposed the "left overs" as IED, which was quite easily done thanks to the build in trigger mechanism. Such devices aren't even detectable by metal detectors, quite a scary thought actually! It's a powerful and sadly easy to use bomb, a real life issue for units in the field in fact.

The SPNKr avoids the issue above by separating the trigger device from the rocket tube. That's huge! Much better design than you might think! Of course in reality weight is a thing as well, Halo's classic RL is far from being realistic! But you can explain that with material sci-fi mambo jumbo. The Pillar on the other hand carries an half open cage exposing the rocket - which is really small as well. That's even sillier in my books, works better in the game context though, I give you that. Point remains, being able to launch two high-tech rockets without having to lose the trigger device on the other hand would be literally a life saver in real life.

Is it realistic to carry six additional tubes with you? Obviously not. But that's why it's a video game! Is the SPNKr by itself that unbelievable though? Not as much as you might think. It's a sci-fi fantasy weapon, but one designed around real life military issues and you have to respect that.
JohnDang55 wrote:
But Halo 4 was done so well, I mean we got the 3 fantastic forerunner books, such as Halo Cryptum, Halo Silentium and Halo: Priomordium. The lore got so much better and they only real retcon was forerunners were ancestors of humans.
Huh? Forerunners were not ancerstors of humans. Where did you get that from?
The Librarian found Humanity on Earth towards the end of the war and was surprised to find a species which was so similar to them, that she saw it as a sign to make them Reclaimers.
343 threw that away in favor of having the Forerunners be at war with pretty much every species in the Milky Way: Flood, Humanity, San Shyuum, Precursors, etc.
They also had to create two Didacts in order to explain how he could both activate the Halos from the Ark and leave the galaxy in shame and at the same time be imprisoned on Requiem. Then the books also contradict 343's own material, which had the Didact personally in command of the Forerunner military for the 300 year war against the Flood, as not only shown in the Halo 3 terminals but also Soma the Painter by 343 themselves.
On top of that, the books literally contradict Halo 4 itself: The events of the Terminals either don't happen as described or not at all. For example, in the Terminals it is the Librarian who imprisons the Ur-Didact on Requiem, while in the novel it is Endurance-of-Will. 343 couldn't even be bothered to make the trilogy that was explicitly meant as a companion piece to Halo 4 actually consistent with the game.
Then comes H5G and contradicts even more stuff: The Domain suddenly exists again, even though it was confirmed destroyed both in the books and in Halo 4. Slipspace jumps in atmosphere don't create a shockwave anymore which is the entire premise of ODST. Halsey flipped for no reason from wanting revenge on the UNSC to asking them to be rescued from Jul.
And that's not even covering the supplementary stuff. Like, how the Forerunner trilogy made it abundantly clear that the Didact's genetical manipulation accidentally made him immune to the Composer, only to then be killed off by 343 in a Comic... by being composed.

The forerunner trilogy was absolute garbage in terms of writing and internal consistency, some of the worst books I have read in my entire life. (And trust me, I have read some real turds in my time.) And I absolutely disagree that "the lore got so much better", what we got instead was immensly worse than what we had before.
But that's all my personal opinion, just like your statements are nothing more than yours. The only thing that matters is the objectively verifyable fact that 343 have completely disregarded the lore of the franchise (including their own) on countless occasions, proving that they have never cared about it in the first place. At least not enough to keep it consistent.
Celestis wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
But Halo 4 was done so well, I mean we got the 3 fantastic forerunner books, such as Halo Cryptum, Halo Silentium and Halo: Priomordium. The lore got so much better and they only real retcon was forerunners were ancestors of humans.
Huh? Forerunners were not ancerstors of humans. Where did you get that from?
The Librarian found Humanity on Earth towards the end of the war and was surprised to find a species which was so similar to them, that she saw it as a sign to make them Reclaimers.
343 threw that away in favor of having the Forerunners be at war with pretty much every species in the Milky Way: Flood, Humanity, San Shyuum, Precursors, etc.
They also had to create two Didacts in order to explain how he could both activate the Halos from the Ark and leave the galaxy in shame and at the same time be imprisoned on Requiem. Then the books also contradict 343's own material, which had the Didact personally in command of the Forerunner military for the 300 year war against the Flood, as not only shown in the Halo 3 terminals but also Soma the Painter by 343 themselves.
On top of that, the books literally contradict Halo 4 itself: The events of the Terminals either don't happen as described or not at all. For example, in the Terminals it is the Librarian who imprisons the Ur-Didact on Requiem, while in the novel it is Endurance-of-Will. 343 couldn't even be bothered to make the trilogy that was explicitly meant as a companion piece to Halo 4 actually consistent with the game.
Then comes H5G and contradicts even more stuff: The Domain suddenly exists again, even though it was confirmed destroyed both in the books and in Halo 4. Slipspace jumps in atmosphere don't create a shockwave anymore which is the entire premise of ODST. Halsey flipped for no reason from wanting revenge on the UNSC to asking them to be rescued from Jul.
And that's not even covering the supplementary stuff. Like, how the Forerunner trilogy made it abundantly clear that the Didact's genetical manipulation accidentally made him immune to the Composer, only to then be killed off by 343 in a Comic... by being composed.

The forerunner trilogy was absolute garbage in terms of writing and internal consistency, some of the worst books I have read in my entire life. (And trust me, I have read some real turds in my time.) And I absolutely disagree that "the lore got so much better", what we got instead was immensly worse than what we had before.
But that's all my personal opinion, just like your statements are nothing more than yours. The only thing that matters is the objectively verifyable fact that 343 have completely disregarded the lore of the franchise (including their own) on countless occasions, proving that they have never cared about it in the first place. At least not enough to keep it consistent.
The ancestor part was from Halo 3, when 343 guilty spark said to master chief you are forerunner. I’m just going off what Bungie’s original idea.

It’s not perfect but what I meant was what we have with the lore now is a whole lot better than what we had my the time of Halo 3 or even by Halo wars 1.
And you are right there are some consistencies however didn’t the guardians cause massive shockwaves when it jumped in that water city in Halo 5 as well as on that mining place in Meridian? And in the Halo 4 terminal, wasn’t that knight the Librarians touched who went from orange to blue, endurance of will? Technically they were both there when the Ur Didact was sealed.
And in the comic wasn’t it the Didact was immune to a specific form of composing as oppose to all forms?
There are plot points in between Spartan Ops and Halo 5 that could have done much better.

I’m just saying I’m happy we got those forerunner books as oppose to not at all.
JohnDang55 wrote:
The ancestor part was from Halo 3, when 343 guilty spark said to master chief you are forerunner. I’m just going off what Bungie’s original idea.
I'm afraid you misunderstood the quote. Spark also sais "This ring is mine", but he doesn't mean he's a gigantic hoola hoop in space. "You are Forerunner" was meant in an affiliation sense, which is why it's also more correctly translated into other languages: "You belong to the Forerunners".
It literally was Halo 3 itself that mentioned the humans on Earth not being descendants of the Forerunners, via the Terminals.

JohnDang55 wrote:
It’s not perfect but what I meant was what we have with the lore now is a whole lot better than what we had my the time of Halo 3 or even by Halo wars 1.
Again, I strongly disagree.

JohnDang55 wrote:
And you are right there are some consistencies however didn’t the guardians cause massive shockwaves when it jumped in that water city in Halo 5 as well as on that mining place in Meridian?
Not in the cutscenes. Not that I was able to see, at least. Arbiter literally watches the Guardian enter Slipspace from close proximity and there's not even a slight breeze. Similarly, Palmer just casually pilots a pelican next to the Slipspace portal and not even stuff that's falling through the air right next to it gets displaced.
JohnDang55 wrote:
And in the Halo 4 terminal, wasn’t that knight the Librarians touched who went from orange to blue, endurance of will? Technically they were both there when the Ur Didact was sealed.
And in the comic wasn’t it the Didact was immune to a specific form of composing as oppose to all forms?
That's a retroactive rationalization. It's a ham-fisted explanation to reconcile two contradicting descriptions of the same event that shouldn't have disagreed with one another in the first place.
If that's what you count as "care about the lore of the game", then I'm sorry to say, but you have very low standards.
Especially given that very few of the myriads of contradictions even got such an ad-hoc explanation. Most of them were just ignored in the hopes that nobody notices.

JohnDang55 wrote:
I’m just saying I’m happy we got those forerunner books as oppose to not at all.
I'd rather have kept them a mysterious, almost god-like race than the stupid infighting warmongers that they were presented as.
Even if their backstory absolutely needed to be uncovered, it still should have been in a much higher-quality story than what we got. No contradictions, a better narrative structure and characters the reader actually gives a -Yoink- about.
I'm still genuinely surprised how he produced such a low-quality product, because I have read other books by Bear, and they are genuinely good. Guess it was just a commissioned work he wanted to get over with for his paycheck.
Celestis wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
343 needs to send us a message that they care about the lore of the game
But.... they don't.
At least they haven't in any of their prior games.
Halo 4 retconned the entire backstory of the Halo universe, the history of the Forerunners, Flood and all other species in the galaxy. H5G then began retconning Halo 4, amongst other things.
What makes you think that any more consideration is put into Infinite?
I don't agree with OP with the entire topic, but Bungie never confirmed anything about forerunners. Everything was always inferred and vague. Bungie also ignored any and all forms of the expanded universe (which is why reach is a mess canonically). 343 arguably cared more for lore than bungie given they did everything they could to make the lore in games and expanded universe make sense. You cannot like the route they went, and thats fine, but saying they don't care about lore is just inaccurate. (side note, I saw the other post of yours and you actively changed the quote to fit your view, thats not how that works)
JohnDang55 wrote:
Spoonsor wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
I think you miss the point of escapism. We are leaving reality mentally speaking, and joining a world imagined by someone else. It doesn't need to be excessively realistic, it just needs to be cool and interesting.

Plus this game isn't even that realistic to begin with. Humans wouldn't even be using bullets 500 years into the future well modern technology is already looking into alternatives. Not to mention were fighting fanatic space aliens on a giant anti SOB hoola hoop.

I do agree that both designs should be catered too, but when it boils down to it cool is more memorable then real, as real will fade into obscurity like all the many FPS cod clones out there.

Edit : here's another example for my point. Imagine yourself walking through a neighborhood, you've marched past at least a dozen brown houses that all look pretty much the same. Then you come upon a bright pink mansion that looks like it's literally just reflecting sunlight.

Which out of all the houses are you most likely to remember?

Granted the bright pink house isn't very realistic, but can you even tell me what color all the other houses were without going back and checking? One of them is definitely going to stand out in a crowd.
Halo as a whole has been trying to be excessively realistic as possible they even got those Machine Accelerating Cannons calculations worked out.

Every finite detail has been explained, Halo isn’t sci fi nonsense like Star Wars; where you are made to believe that a Star ship less than 2km long can blow up a planet when 2 or 3 decades ago they needed a 120 diameter Death Star to do the job.

I’m trying to explain this in a bigger picture because Halo as a whole is a franchise it isn’t just games, when they are multiple tv shows, movies, cosplay’s and more books the PILUM rocket launcher will be needed more than the SPNKr.
please watch the cutscene of Master chief giving the covenant back their bomb and tell me this is a realistic series. Also, what is realistic about a gravity hammer? What is realistic about an energy sword? the answer to both is nothing. but they are fun as hell to play in game, so we suspend our disbelief
He ejected himself out of the airlock with the bomb, his suit is rated for 90 minutes of vacuum. He delivered the bomb and pushed against it to give himself force to leave the super carrier. It all followed the laws of physics. Newton’s first law is what’s in motion stays in motion. Master chief is already going in a direction and there is minimal gravitational to affect his momentum, which is why he is able to do what did.
Heck in Long night of solace in halo reach they made a big deal out of low gravity and normal gravity on the same level, which goes to show how far they will go to make it as realistic as possible.

Energy sword is a plasma blade held together by magnetic fields, gravity hammer has impellers that generate some sort of shock on the striking face.
One thing I have wanted to know for so long is how the heck did Chief plant the bomb like he did, start the bomb up again, and somehow propel himself far enough away from the blast zone? In the cutscene, he kinda just kicks the bomb into the core, and is just floating there. How did he get away, in a matter of seconds because that is how much time was left on the bomb, if he didn't have any way to propel himself away from the core of the cruiser? That bomb woulda blown him to pieces.
The only way I can explain it is luck. Chief is unrealistically lucky.
And I mean, are we kidding ourselves with the realism here? You compared Halo to Star Wars earlier, and I honestly see no difference in the realism of Star Wars and the realism of Halo.
I mean, the list of unexplainable features in Halo goes on and on.
1. The needler? The Halopedia literally doesn't explain the needler. All it says is that the UNSC and Sangheli are still studying it's mysterious properties after the wars, and it's blamite crystals have some kind of heat seeking property. And where do the needles fit inside the needler? It holds dozens and dozens of needles, and you can see the size of them, but when you reload the needler, where are all those needles coming from within the gun itself?
2. And the Scarab? Why does the whole Scarab become disabled when you destroy the leg armor? And why is the power core so exposed? For cooling? The Kraken's core made much more sense, as it was a lot bigger and put deep inside the Kraken. And that didn't need to be cooled, even though it was much bigger than the Scarab's.
3. And the fact that the aliens speak English, and the humans understand them? I mean, that is just as much of a technicality as SPNKr ammo is.
4. And how do vehicles have infinite ammo? Why do turrets have infinite ammo until they are detached?
5. How do soldiers and knights and Phaetons teleport?
6. Why is it that Chief doesn't need to press buttons to interact with control panels, and then does have to, and now in Halo Infinite, he doesn't?
7. How do the Huragoks generate shields for the Covenant in Reach?
8. Why aren't there more Hunter forms, if they are versatile enough to make up Scarabs? After watching Nightfall, I have so many questions about the Hunters and why their full potential isn't used.
9. And the Flood's biology is totally unrealistic. Where are those flood supercell getting their energy, and how does their biomass increase so drastically?
10. And the energy sword could never hold enough fuel in that small handle to generate plasma, as well as hold it together with magnetism, which when said out loud doesn't even make any sense.
Those are 11 things to look at. And sure, you can explain them away canonically, but they still don't make any real world sense, which is what your original post had a problem with. Halo is like Star Wars in that the technicalities of the canon and the science are left to the imagination and theorization of the consumer. That's why I like Halo, because I don't care if Energy Swords are improbable, and if Scarabs are pretty much designed to be taken down by a Spartan on foot, and if the Flood infect at rates that are literally biologically impossible. The fact is that in the Halo Universe, these things are possible, and it really is a cool thing to accept, and not justify with our universe logic.
JohnDang55 wrote:
Spoonsor wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
JohnDang55 wrote:
Why is nostalgia more important than realism. In the game since it has no volume or mass it’s not a problem but when you start going into other media such as books and comics you start to see how ridiculous it is.

One of the most notable rocket battles was in the book Halo:The flood the novelisation of the first game and its hard for me to imagine soldiers defending Alpha base from 200 or so ghosts using the SPNKr when the PILUM makes more sense.

343 should have shown both rockets.
I think you miss the point of escapism. We are leaving reality mentally speaking, and joining a world imagined by someone else. It doesn't need to be excessively realistic, it just needs to be cool and interesting.

Plus this game isn't even that realistic to begin with. Humans wouldn't even be using bullets 500 years into the future well modern technology is already looking into alternatives. Not to mention were fighting fanatic space aliens on a giant anti SOB hoola hoop.

I do agree that both designs should be catered too, but when it boils down to it cool is more memorable then real, as real will fade into obscurity like all the many FPS cod clones out there.

Edit : here's another example for my point. Imagine yourself walking through a neighborhood, you've marched past at least a dozen brown houses that all look pretty much the same. Then you come upon a bright pink mansion that looks like it's literally just reflecting sunlight.

Which out of all the houses are you most likely to remember?

Granted the bright pink house isn't very realistic, but can you even tell me what color all the other houses were without going back and checking? One of them is definitely going to stand out in a crowd.
Halo as a whole has been trying to be excessively realistic as possible they even got those Machine Accelerating Cannons calculations worked out.

Every finite detail has been explained, Halo isn’t sci fi nonsense like Star Wars; where you are made to believe that a Star ship less than 2km long can blow up a planet when 2 or 3 decades ago they needed a 120 diameter Death Star to do the job.

I’m trying to explain this in a bigger picture because Halo as a whole is a franchise it isn’t just games, when they are multiple tv shows, movies, cosplay’s and more books the PILUM rocket launcher will be needed more than the SPNKr.
please watch the cutscene of Master chief giving the covenant back their bomb and tell me this is a realistic series. Also, what is realistic about a gravity hammer? What is realistic about an energy sword? the answer to both is nothing. but they are fun as hell to play in game, so we suspend our disbelief.One thing I have wanted to know for so long is how the heck did Chief plant the bomb like he did, start the bomb up again, and somehow propel himself far enough away from the blast zone? In the cutscene, he kinda just kicks the bomb into the core, and is just floating there. How did he get away, in a matter of seconds because that is how much time was left on the bomb, if he didn't have any way to propel himself away from the core of the cruiser? That bomb woulda blown him to pieces.
The only way I can explain it is luck. Chief is unrealistically lucky.
And I mean, are we kidding ourselves with the realism here? You compared Halo to Star Wars earlier, and I honestly see no difference in the realism of Star Wars and the realism of Halo.
I mean, the list of unexplainable features in Halo goes on and on.
1. The needler? The Halopedia literally doesn't explain the needler. All it says is that the UNSC and Sangheli are still studying it's mysterious properties after the wars, and it's blamite crystals have some kind of heat seeking property. And where do the needles fit inside the needler? It holds dozens and dozens of needles, and you can see the size of them, but when you reload the needler, where are all those needles coming from within the gun itself?
2. And the Scarab? Why does the whole Scarab become disabled when you destroy the leg armor? And why is the power core so exposed? For cooling? The Kraken's core made much more sense, as it was a lot bigger and put deep inside the Kraken. And that didn't need to be cooled, even though it was much bigger than the Scarab's.
3. And the fact that the aliens speak English, and the humans understand them? I mean, that is just as much of a technicality as SPNKr ammo is.
4. And how do vehicles have infinite ammo? Why do turrets have infinite ammo until they are detached?
5. How do soldiers and knights and Phaetons teleport?
6. Why is it that Chief doesn't need to press buttons to interact with control panels, and then does have to, and now in Halo Infinite, he doesn't?
7. How do the Huragoks generate shields for the Covenant in Reach?
8. Why aren't there more Hunter forms, if they are versatile enough to make up Scarabs? After watching Nightfall, I have so many questions about the Hunters and why their full potential isn't used.
9. And the Flood's biology is totally unrealistic. Where are those flood supercell getting their energy, and how does their biomass increase so drastically?
10. And the energy sword could never hold enough fuel in that small handle to generate plasma, as well as hold it together with magnetism, which when said out loud doesn't even make any sense.
Those are 11 things to look at. And sure, you can explain them away canonically, but they still don't make any real world sense, which is what your original post had a problem with. Halo is like Star Wars in that the technicalities of the canon and the science are left to the imagination and theorization of the consumer. That's why I like Halo, because I don't care if Energy Swords are improbable, and if Scarabs are pretty much designed to be taken down by a Spartan on foot, and if the Flood infect at rates that are literally biologically impossible. The fact is that in the Halo Universe, these things are possible, and it really is a cool thing to accept, and not justify with our universe logic.
3. The covenant learned it. If all the covenant species can learn Sangheli it’s not a stretch for them to understand and learn to speak English. Heck you got humans being able to communicate in Sangheli as well, and there are built in translators for both factions.
4. Thats just a pure gameplay mechanic, scorpion would probably hold 100 or more 150mm shells.
5. That’s just their slip space technology. The Phaeton, their translocate I’m not sure it’s a true teleport, and it’s more like a quick dash.
6. Guess that’s one of the reasons that Halo infinite needs to be fixed.
7. I take it they project their shielding and you gotta remember their synthetics and are bio- mechanical. It would be a much better version then the gen2 spartan ‘ressurection’ that gives overshields in an AOE on a downed spartan.
8. See Halo Wars 2
10. All battery powered covenant weapons are like that, the energy sword probably has a better battery than the rest of them that’s more compact and efficient.

The other stuff I can’t really explain.
The SPKNR and the piling should actually Co exist one as a rapid fire weapons the other as a massive gun.
JohnDang55 wrote:
Just a tip, when trying to troll don't go over the top. The whole "I'm gonna quit if the pickle rocket launcher isn't in the game" was a bit too much.
I never said that. I already had no intention of getting the game. This community update gave me another reason not to change my mind. Big difference.
Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Halo has never been realistic lmao. Is like asking "how can the Halo CE AR carry 60 7.62mm bullets in one mag that is the same size as a real 20 round Scar-H mag??": because its cool, nothing else
I don't agree with OP with the entire topic, but Bungie never confirmed anything about forerunners.
Everything was always inferred and vague. Bungie also ignored any and all forms of the expanded universe (which is why reach is a mess canonically).
Huh? The backstory of the forerunners is literally chronicled in the Halo 3 terminals. As in, "in the game itself". By Bungie. No external sources required.
343's retcon contradicts almost everything contained within, maybe except the names of the characters involved, even though they already released content based on this information themselves (such as the "Origins" films in "Halo: Legends" or "Soma the Painter").

343 arguably cared more for lore than bungie given they did everything they could to make the lore in games and expanded universe make sense.
The keyword here being "arguably", and I strongly argue against that. As I have already shown, with every new release they disregard lore that came before it: The backstory of the forerunners, the domain being destroyed, Didact's immunity to the composer, etc. In the few instances where they provide a retroactive rationalization (such as Didact conveniently only being immune to some Composers) it mostly happens as a small anecdote on their website, instead of within the story itself, where it should be. (Of course they also could just, y'know, release stories without contradictions in the first place.)

side note, I saw the other post of yours and you actively changed the quote to fit your view, thats not how that works
I'm genuinely confused here. Which quote did I change?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4