Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

No free multiplayer

OP Leos Nuts

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Nothing more needs to be said, if you open up crossplatform multiplayer for free you will be spending unnecessary man power catching cheaters. It isn't worth wasting resources fixing exploits when you could close multiplayer off to free players and use those resources to deliver something groundbreaking.
I think it would be a little unfair to say that we can’t have both groundbreaking content and good anti cheat. It’s definitely doable to have both in a reasonable way. I do agree that having the game be free to play will inevitably open the game up to more cheaters, but I think if there are going to be cheaters they will be there regardless. I feel like every game should take all the steps necessary to combat cheaters whether the game is free to play or not.
Cheaters are going to be a big deal, in fact, I think that'll be the hardest thing they'll have to deal with.
F2P will certainly bring a bigger population, such will bring more filth along with it, perhaps a bit disproportionately, but I think overall it well be better for the game.
I was shocked at the bold move but I am open to seeing how this goes. I think this is actually a good thing in helping Halo reclaim (no pun intended to the reclaimer saga) their spotlight.
It should be free only to those with XBL or Gamepass.
Still wish they'd abolish xbox live gold since Infinite online is technically not free on consoles.
If you are playing on console the multiplayer will most likely still require Xbox Live Gold. Xbox requires the same with other free to play multiplayer titles such as Fortnite, so I’ll bet the same will apply to Halo as well. Charging a separate fee for PC players to play Halo Infinite multiplayer when it’s being marketed as free to play will almost surely kill the PC population, as I can’t imagine many PC players will want to subscribe to something just to play Halo multiplayer. I could be wrong though as people do subscribe monthly for World of Warcraft, although that’s a little different lol
i think this is where xbox players could get the advantage by simply turning off crossplay. Also i felt this was the dumbest move because then it will be mtx galore and the excuse is "oh well it f2p".
i think this is where xbox players could get the advantage by simply turning off crossplay. Also i felt this was the dumbest move because then it will be mtx galore because "oh well it f2p".
I was going to say the same thing regarding MCC settings. I dont think the MTX trade off will be worth the F2P model and fear what may become of Halo because of it. Time will tell...
It's probably not going to change, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Simple solution, play on console and disable cross platform matchmaking. If youre a pc player you are out of luck cause popular fps on pc paid or not will have some degree of cheating happening. But if you will play infinite on console you can simply disable the cross platform play as cheating via consoles is extremely rare at least in halo.
I agree. I'm also sure we'll have the option to turn off / disable cross play, I can and do regularly in CoD. I would like it expanded when it comes to 3rd party games. I think we should also have the option to select cross play with consoles, pc or both.
I hadn't considered the extra resource investment to fight off free-to-play cheaters. It was already going to be an issue with Xbox live second accounts but cheaters prosper on PC and they're typically only hindered by the admission cost of re-purchasing a game once they get caught.

The resource investment with cross-play f2p was something I definitely hadn't considered
However much I do agree that there will more than likely be problems with cheaters I think scrapping free to play entirely because of it isn’t the right play here.

Free to play offers access to a lot of people and would boost the Halo playerbase a lot. The franchise could do with some time in the spotlight.

This increase in extra players would also in turn boost the amount of in game purchases being made (as long as they’re not ridiculous of course). That increase in purchasing will do two things. Fund futures content for the game & help keep the game running in the long term (including integrity of matches).
We’re also talking Xbox First party here. Technology does exist to catch out cheaters. Many free to play games have handled cheaters before, I don’t see this being a outlying case where little is done to prevent it.
First: Give your hopes up

Second:
You are totally right.

Even in games where you have to pay to play the MP are cheaters but in F2P MP games or in general F2P games are so many cheaters - I mean why would I care if they catch me cheating? I'll just create a new Account or whatsoever and bam - I'm back.

Personally I think it would be awesome when people are modding the Forge and in general Forge creations from PC players. But the MP? I'm totally fine and happy that I'll play on console. Another reason why I used to play games like PUBG on Xbox rather than on PC. You need to pay for the MP but there are also hacker :D
I think it would be a little unfair to say that we can’t have both groundbreaking content and good anti cheat. It’s definitely doable to have both in a reasonable way. I do agree that having the game be free to play will inevitably open the game up to more cheaters, but I think if there are going to be cheaters they will be there regardless. I feel like every game should take all the steps necessary to combat cheaters whether the game is free to play or not.
I don't think it's unfair at all. Give me one example of a paid MP game that isn't then ruined by adding free MP. To be fair I'll give you examples of prominent games that get ruined by F2P MP cheaters- Destiny 2 and CoD warzone. Two different companies. Two different genres. Both are spending unnecessary resources into fighting cheaters literally culminating in Bungie using resources to SUE cheaters and cheat software developers. I mean how much more of a waste of time is that.
eviltedi wrote:
I agree. I'm also sure we'll have the option to turn off / disable cross play, I can and do regularly in CoD. I would like it expanded when it comes to 3rd party games. I think we should also have the option to select cross play with consoles, pc or both.
I'd like to hope that MCC is the model that Infinite will follow, especially regarding crossplay, input-based matchmaking, and server selection. I feel like with a F2P game the more options you can give the player the better.
If you are playing on console the multiplayer will most likely still require Xbox Live Gold. Xbox requires the same with other free to play multiplayer titles such as Fortnite, so I’ll bet the same will apply to Halo as well. Charging a separate fee for PC players to play Halo Infinite multiplayer when it’s being marketed as free to play will almost surely kill the PC population, as I can’t imagine many PC players will want to subscribe to something just to play Halo multiplayer. I could be wrong though as people do subscribe monthly for World of Warcraft, although that’s a little different lol
I should have clarified: Those on PC would need XBL Gold or to buy the game proper. This hurdle prevents the majority of cheating and alt accounts and the recurring alt accounts of cheaters, which are most prevalent on PC.
eviltedi wrote:
I'd like to hope that MCC is the model that Infinite will follow, especially regarding crossplay, input-based matchmaking, and server selection. I feel like with a F2P game the more options you can give the player the better.
^ This and also to include how skins/armors/etc. are able to be obtained outside of achievement based types.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3