No free multiplayer

OP Leos Nuts

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Leos Nuts wrote:
I think it would be a little unfair to say that we can’t have both groundbreaking content and good anti cheat. It’s definitely doable to have both in a reasonable way. I do agree that having the game be free to play will inevitably open the game up to more cheaters, but I think if there are going to be cheaters they will be there regardless. I feel like every game should take all the steps necessary to combat cheaters whether the game is free to play or not.
I don't think it's unfair at all. Give me one example of a paid MP game that isn't then ruined by adding free MP. To be fair I'll give you examples of prominent games that get ruined by F2P MP cheaters- Destiny 2 and CoD warzone. Two different companies. Two different genres. Both are spending unnecessary resources into fighting cheaters literally culminating in Bungie using resources to SUE cheaters and cheat software developers. I mean how much more of a waste of time is that.
You do have excellent points in the fact that both Destiny 2 and Warzone are rife with cheaters, at least from what I have heard on the internet. I haven’t really played Destiny 2 on PC so I don’t know how it is there, and also have not played D2 on console in a long time but never really encountered cheaters there when I did play before. Warzone can be full of cheaters but honestly I’m just bad so I can’t tell sometimes if they’re cheating or I just suck lol. I will say an example of a free to play game that has done anti-cheat well is Valorant. I haven’t really heard many or any people complaining about a widespread cheating problem in that game. I know there was a bit of controversy around the whole Riot Vanguard thing and whether it might be invasive to your PC or something, but I feel if Halo can start off on the right foot by combatting and punishing cheaters at the start instead of playing catch-up, 343 can prevent a lot of problems.
It should be free only to those with XBL or Gamepass.
If you are playing on console the multiplayer will most likely still require Xbox Live Gold. Xbox requires the same with other free to play multiplayer titles such as Fortnite, so I’ll bet the same will apply to Halo as well. Charging a separate fee for PC players to play Halo Infinite multiplayer when it’s being marketed as free to play will almost surely kill the PC population, as I can’t imagine many PC players will want to subscribe to something just to play Halo multiplayer. I could be wrong though as people do subscribe monthly for World of Warcraft, although that’s a little different lol
I should have clarified: Those on PC would need XBL Gold or to buy the game proper. This hurdle prevents the majority of cheating and alt accounts and the recurring alt accounts of cheaters, which are most prevalent on PC.
A barrier to entry would prevent a majority of cheaters on PC that is true. Adding such a barrier now though could be bad for the game’s image especially since 343 has already come out and said the game’s multiplayer would be free to play. Granted free to play on Xbox has always meant you still need Gold, but PC has never had to deal with that so I’m sure there’d be some backlash.
It should be free only to those with XBL or Gamepass.
If you are playing on console the multiplayer will most likely still require Xbox Live Gold. Xbox requires the same with other free to play multiplayer titles such as Fortnite, so I’ll bet the same will apply to Halo as well. Charging a separate fee for PC players to play Halo Infinite multiplayer when it’s being marketed as free to play will almost surely kill the PC population, as I can’t imagine many PC players will want to subscribe to something just to play Halo multiplayer. I could be wrong though as people do subscribe monthly for World of Warcraft, although that’s a little different lol
I should have clarified: Those on PC would need XBL Gold or to buy the game proper. This hurdle prevents the majority of cheating and alt accounts and the recurring alt accounts of cheaters, which are most prevalent on PC.
A barrier to entry would prevent a majority of cheaters on PC that is true. Adding such a barrier now though could be bad for the game’s image especially since 343 has already come out and said the game’s multiplayer would be free to play. Granted free to play on Xbox has always meant you still need Gold, but PC has never had to deal with that so I’m sure there’d be some backlash.
Meh, they also said it would come out for the launch of Series X/S. Plans change. Nothing is going to hurt the image of the game more than that July demo.

The problem with the backlash on PC they would receive by having you required to have XBL or purchase the game proper is that the backlash is from freeloaders. These people were not going to buy into the game anyway. Halo doesn't owe these people anything. They were going to have this no strings attached gift. If they later decide to no longer offer it, that is entirely at MS's discretion. They are not obligated to make free games for people who don't pay for games.
Leos Nuts wrote:
I think it would be a little unfair to say that we can’t have both groundbreaking content and good anti cheat. It’s definitely doable to have both in a reasonable way. I do agree that having the game be free to play will inevitably open the game up to more cheaters, but I think if there are going to be cheaters they will be there regardless. I feel like every game should take all the steps necessary to combat cheaters whether the game is free to play or not.
I don't think it's unfair at all. Give me one example of a paid MP game that isn't then ruined by adding free MP. To be fair I'll give you examples of prominent games that get ruined by F2P MP cheaters- Destiny 2 and CoD warzone. Two different companies. Two different genres. Both are spending unnecessary resources into fighting cheaters literally culminating in Bungie using resources to SUE cheaters and cheat software developers. I mean how much more of a waste of time is that.
You do have excellent points in the fact that both Destiny 2 and Warzone are rife with cheaters, at least from what I have heard on the internet. I haven’t really played Destiny 2 on PC so I don’t know how it is there, and also have not played D2 on console in a long time but never really encountered cheaters there when I did play before. Warzone can be full of cheaters but honestly I’m just bad so I can’t tell sometimes if they’re cheating or I just suck lol. I will say an example of a free to play game that has done anti-cheat well is Valorant. I haven’t really heard many or any people complaining about a widespread cheating problem in that game. I know there was a bit of controversy around the whole Riot Vanguard thing and whether it might be invasive to your PC or something, but I feel if Halo can start off on the right foot by combatting and punishing cheaters at the start instead of playing catch-up, 343 can prevent a lot of problems.
Why put Halo: Infinite in the position of having to deal with cheaters in the first place. It's just an all around unnecessary move and while I hope 343 and Microsoft can handle a torrent of cheaters (and there will be a torrent) I don't think they can. Because no one else has, including Valorant. The best way to mitigate cheaters is by making them physically pay to have the game. I'm not trying to be elitist, I wish we lived in a world where an open and free MP isn't going to be set on fire by hackers in China, where 90% of cheaters and exploiters are. This has historically been a problem that I dont think Microsoft and 343 can crack. I hope they can, but I know they can't
ronnie42 wrote:
Still wish they'd abolish xbox live gold since Infinite online is technically not free on consoles.
I think Ultimate is in a pretty good position to replace that
ronnie42 wrote:
Still wish they'd abolish xbox live gold since Infinite online is technically not free on consoles.
Best not do...I have zero interest in game pass.
Halo Infinite is going to be free to play and that's not going to change. I don't like the idea of Halo Infinite being free to play for many reasons. I'm still very interested to see if some of these rumors are true about ranked play being behind a paywall aka If you want to play rank do you have to buy the seasons pass for that season.

I'm just really interested to see what they're going to do with the whole thing.I do know that there will be timed exclusive armor and stuff and that's really going to piss me off as I hate that kind of stuff as I don't have 8 hours a day everyday to play everyday. I'm not 14. I just have a bad feeling that all the cool armor is going to be basically locked behind pay walls and so much of the stuff is going to be a grind fest.

I'm still not really happy that PC players get to play games for free online and us console players have to pay. Beyond ridiculous!

Time will tell though....
Leos Nuts wrote:
Nothing more needs to be said, if you open up crossplatform multiplayer for free you will be spending unnecessary man power catching cheaters. It isn't worth wasting resources fixing exploits when you could close multiplayer off to free players and use those resources to deliver something groundbreaking.
I honestly wish it wasn’t free to play at all as well but unfortunately it is. I feel like tons of people could join and use alt accounts as well and just troll people/kill their teammates and not care if they get banned or not because they didn’t pay for the game. Nothing we can do about it now tho.
Leos Nuts wrote:
Nothing more needs to be said, if you open up crossplatform multiplayer for free you will be spending unnecessary man power catching cheaters. It isn't worth wasting resources fixing exploits when you could close multiplayer off to free players and use those resources to deliver something groundbreaking.
I honestly wish it wasn’t free to play at all as well but unfortunately it is. I feel like tons of people could join and use alt accounts as well and just troll people/kill their teammates and not care if they get banned or not because they didn’t pay for the game. Nothing we can do about it now tho.
I mean haven’t people been doing this in H5 in regards to alternative accounts on Xbox live? Just playing devils advocate here...rhetorical statement of course.

ive always advocated for having the actual console serial number registered and if you cheat then it’s a console ban. Piss off the other people you live with who use the console and see ‘danger actual’ 🤷🏻‍♂️
Well I'm certain that Halo MCC is the model they'll be using to base the multiplayer anticheat, server selection, and input selection on so you can just turn off us PC players.

As for needing Xbox Live Gold...no. Just no. I already pay for internet service. I'm not paying for a subscription to a service to a console I neither own nor play on. That's the primary reason I became a PC gamer in the first place. To get away from fees. You won't find a better way to kill Infinite on PC faster than making us pay more.

As for calling us "freeloaders" I'll have you know that I have an addiction to dressing up my space man how I want my space man to look and I'm very well prepared to pay out the wazoo for cosmetics. They'll make their money in due time. If there's an actual preorder bonus that isn't a statue I don't care about then I'll probably splurge on whatever legendary edition they decide to release but its gonna have to be like the Reach legendary edition with all the lore stuff in it and cosmetics.
Halo Infinite is going to be free to play and that's not going to change. I don't like the idea of Halo Infinite being free to play for many reasons. I'm still very interested to see if some of these rumors are true about ranked play being behind a paywall aka If you want to play rank do you have to buy the seasons pass for that season.

I'm just really interested to see what they're going to do with the whole thing.I do know that there will be timed exclusive armor and stuff and that's really going to piss me off as I hate that kind of stuff as I don't have 8 hours a day everyday to play everyday. I'm not 14. I just have a bad feeling that all the cool armor is going to be basically locked behind pay walls and so much of the stuff is going to be a grind fest.I'm still not really happy that PC players get to play games for free online and us console players have to pay. Beyond ridiculous!

I don't think this will happen - there will be tons of time to grind out anything you could want (10 years), and historically (correct me if I'm wrong) the limited time items either come back or don't require much effort to receive. I am talking about thing like the Challenger armor in halo 5, all you had to do was watch the 2016 finals or go to the MS store and receive a free pack.

I'm just really interested to see what they're going to do with the whole thing.I do know that there will be timed exclusive armor and stuff and that's really going to piss me off as I hate that kind of stuff as I don't have 8 hours a day everyday to play everyday. I'm not 14. I just have a bad feeling that all the cool armor is going to be basically locked behind pay walls and so much of the stuff is going to be a grind fest.I'm still not really happy that PC players get to play games for free online and us console players have to pay. Beyond ridiculous!

I don't think this will happen - there will be tons of time to grind out anything you could want (10 years), and historically (correct me if I'm wrong) the limited time items either come back or don't require much effort to receive. I am talking about thing like the Challenger armor in halo 5, all you had to do was watch the 2016 finals or go to the MS store and receive a free pack.
343I have already said there will be items that will only be in time events only, here's the quote and Link
Quote:
 There will be limited-time events, but we don’t want to turn free time into a chore.
To me they just contradicting themselves right there. You don't want the game to turn into a chore, but that's what limited time events are!! Play or you miss it!! aka you might have 3 weeks to do x. If not, you don't get it (unless you pay money) so to get x one must "grind" those weeks to get it.

It's these types of time events I hate in games as they are in essence a grind fest. As I stated, I don't have 40 hours a week to play video games anymore and in my opinion, a person shouldn't be "punish" aka miss out on something, just because they can't play piles.

Make no mistake, Halo Infinite will be all about you having to play all the time to get x,y,z. If you don't, you will miss items for sure! (again, unless you paid money)

I hate this trend in video games with the passion. I understand why companies do it, but I hate it.
I was conflicted when I saw it was going to be free to play. First thought was I can join all my friends, but then I thought about the massive openness to cheaters like warzone is right now. And the MTX is hopefully not going to be bad. Im never happy when I load up call of duty and see that a ton of cool stuff is paywalled. I don't want that to happen to my favorite franchise.

I miss the good ol days when the game was selfcontained and very little was monetized.
eviltedi wrote:
It's probably not going to change, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
I agree. I'm also sure we'll have the option to turn off / disable cross play, I can and do regularly in CoD. I would like it expanded when it comes to 3rd party games. I think we should also have the option to select cross play with consoles, pc or both.
I'd like to hope that MCC is the model that Infinite will follow, especially regarding crossplay, input-based matchmaking, and server selection. I feel like with a F2P game the more options you can give the player the better.
That's excellent news, due to not playing MCC for years I was not aware of that. If they follow that I'll be a very happy man.
ronnie42 wrote:
You think so ? I have zero interest in game pass. Forcing it on players is a big risk imo. Also, as of last April there were 90 million Xbox Live Gold members, and as of September there were 15 million game pass members.

ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Same here. I have no interest in game pass, I think forcing a subscription would be a bad idea.
eviltedi wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
You think so ? I have zero interest in game pass. Forcing it on players is a big risk imo. Also, as of last April there were 90 million Xbox Live Gold members, and as of September there were 15 million game pass members.

ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Same here. I have no interest in game pass, I think forcing a subscription would be a bad idea.
Yeh it's a big risk and I already own most games that I want so for me 'game pass' is pointless and it would irritate me to be forced to pay more for a service that I don't need or want. I'm more interested in buying my games instead of renting them. I get the appeal of game pass but for me I'm not interested.
Leos Nuts wrote:
Ohhhh boyyyyy, you're so terribly wrong.
You should really educate yourself ASAP on the earnings F2P games make each year just with pure MTX and nothing else.

Spoiler: It MOST DEFINITELY is worth the hassle, at least for the developer/publisher.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Leos Nuts wrote:
You should really educate yourself ASAP on the earnings F2P games make each year just with pure MTX and nothing else.

Spoiler: It MOST DEFINITELY is worth the hassle, at least for the developer/publisher.
Well im speaking from the perspective of a player, so.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Leos Nuts wrote:

Yes and Microsoft have now made it worse by know increasing the prices for xbox live by nearly double...meaning it's even further away from being free. This means Halo Infinite is nowhere near free on Xbox Consoles which irritates me too. I feel like this is going to kill Xbox online for console gamers for most people since F2P games can't be played without paying for xbox live gold.
People be on here thinking consoles are safe from anti-cheat but are forgetting all the fun times in Halo 2 and early Halo 3 before Bungie introduced their banhammer, still the best anti-cheat system by far and I'm amazed anti-cheat has only gotten worse since then.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3