Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

No Rainstorms/Thunderstorms/Snowstorms at launch??

OP BlackChamber487

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So I just watched the "Ask 343" video from 2 weeks ago and one of the developers says that while the game has limited dynamic weather [being wind & fog]; Rainstorms, Thunderstorms and Snowstorms won't be in at launch, saying: "We're really excited for the future and what that might mean for things like that."

I hope this is added quickly, because an open world game with a full day/night cycle should always have full dynamic weather as well. One of my favourite levels in HALO: CE aside from "The Silent Cartographer" is "343 Guilty Spark" where you first encounter the Flood - mainly due to the atmosphere of it being dark and raining.

Rain/Thunderstorms would look so good in this game - and add a ton of atmosphere🤘🏻
I was a bit surprised as well to see that typical weather changes wouldn't be added at launch considering the five years of development put into this game. I get that 343 was also developing the Slipspace Engine at the same time, but it still concerns me that even basic environment changes like rain and snowfall aren't going to be included.
I wonder if light rain, snow and thunder will be oresent at launch

Cuz they kept using the word storm when talking bout the stuff not present yet
So I just watched the "Ask 343" video from 2 weeks ago and one of the developers says that while the game has limited dynamic weather [being wind & fog]; Rainstorms, Thunderstorms and Snowstorms won't be in at launch, saying: "We're really excited for the future and what that might mean for things like that."

I hope this is added quickly, because an open world game with a full day/night cycle should always have full dynamic weather as well. One of my favourite levels in HALO: CE aside from "The Silent Cartographer" is "343 Guilty Spark" where you first encounter the Flood - mainly due to the atmosphere of it being dark and raining.

Rain/Thunderstorms would look so good in this game - and add a ton of atmosphere🤘🏻
Firstly please use the search function because there are already numerous threads on this topic.

Secondly: Halo Infinite is NOT an open world game. They keep saying this. It is a traditional Halo FPS with open world elements.

Thirdly: Cortana's comments in Assault on the Control Room in Halo CE clearly establish that canonically weather on Halo rings is controlled - i.e. dynamic weather is entirely extraneous canonically. 343GS has that feeling because it's set in a rainforest. In CE you're travelling all over Alpha Halo, whereas this time you seem more likely to be in rather more similar biomes in a huge but consistent area of the ring

Fourthly: they were explicitly referencing open world in that part. If they want an individual mission to have certain light/weather conditions, I'm sure they can still do this
That is not a big deal. Not sure how many games have dynamic thunderstorms and snowstorms. It could be cool, but it is not a must to make a great game. It could also be annoying if not done properly.
I am glad they are leaving it for later. If they deem it really needed and it can work well.
Kind of makes me wonder how it'll feel fighting the flood in a thunderstorm.
i mean sure anything extra is always nice, but i wasn't thinking "man i cant wait for infinite to play in a thunderstorm" if they add it later cool. but whats important is the feel of the game the gameplay and the story. And it looks like that is there focus.
una yp wrote:
i mean sure anything extra is always nice, but i wasn't thinking "man i cant wait for infinite to play in a thunderstorm" if they add it later cool. but whats important is the feel of the game the gameplay and the story. And it looks like that is there focus.
Atmosphere is of utmost importance in a HALO game.

Having storms would only add to the atmosphere and immersion🤘🏻
i am fine with no dynamic rain or thunderstorms, but i do want at least one level with that atmosphere
una yp wrote:
Atmosphere is of utmost importance in a HALO game.

Having storms would only add to the atmosphere and immersion🤘🏻
ofc it adds to it no doubt, but you can make it in many other ways just as good. just like previous games had great atmosphere without those things.
I’m a bit disappointed. But, imagine if 343 added weather to Forge
I'm disappointed as well regarding its absence at launch. It is something that can have a great affect on immersion as well as adding ambience to the story/mission. I'm hopeful it will be added later down the line (possibly even making it where depending on your location it can reflect the weather that you're experiencing-similar to the time of day that is already in place). It would be amazing to have it in Forge as well.

Certain levels will probably have rain or thunder, but that will probably be part of the level. I don't think they were saying rain and thunder will not be in the game at all.

Certain levels will probably have rain or thunder, but that will probably be part of the level. I don't think they were saying rain and thunder will not be in the game at all.
They said Rainstorms/Thunderstorms & Snowstorms aren't something they could do by launch - but they look forward to the future when they can implement those things.

That doesn't sound like there's going to be any rain or snow at all. On top of that, there's the fact that the initial reveal trailer [running in-engine on the Slipspace Engine] showed rain🤷‍♂️
MorseyBaby wrote:

Firstly please use the search function because there are already numerous threads on this topic.

Secondly: Halo Infinite is NOT an open world game. They keep saying this. It is a traditional Halo FPS with open world elements.

Thirdly: Cortana's comments in Assault on the Control Room in Halo CE clearly establish that canonically weather on Halo rings is controlled - i.e. dynamic weather is entirely extraneous canonically. 343GS has that feeling because it's set in a rainforest. In CE you're travelling all over Alpha Halo, whereas this time you seem more likely to be in rather more similar biomes in a huge but consistent area of the ring

Fourthly: they were explicitly referencing open world in that part. If they want an individual mission to have certain light/weather conditions, I'm sure they can still do this
I feel like you read my mind on every post and point you make. I'm just going to like all your posts and have you do the typing for me. But in any case I agree.

They said Rainstorms/Thunderstorms & Snowstorms aren't something they could do by launch - but they look forward to the future when they can implement those things.

That doesn't sound like there's going to be any rain or snow at all. On top of that, there's the fact that the initial reveal trailer [running in-engine on the Slipspace Engine] showed rain🤷‍♂️
No, they absolutely 100% didn't. You're taking the comments totally out of context. The question was about dynamic weather during the more open-world type sections and they responded to that. They did not say it wasn't possible in a more limited (i.e. scripted for a certain mission) section. You may be right and jt might not be by launch - but that is not what they said

X 1NF1NI7Y wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
I feel like you read my mind on every post and point you make. I'm just going to like all your posts and have you do the typing for me. But in any case I agree.
Haha you're welcome man
MorseyBaby wrote:

No, they absolutely 100% didn't. You're taking the comments totally out of context. The question was about dynamic weather during the more open-world type sections and they responded to that. They did not say it wasn't possible in a more limited (i.e. scripted for a certain mission) section. You may be right and jt might not be by launch - but that is not what they said
The implication of the developers' answer was that rainstorms, thunderstorms and snowstorms will not be in the game at launch in any capacity; but it's something they would like to do in the near future.
ronnie42 wrote:
Kind of makes me wonder how it'll feel fighting the flood in a thunderstorm.
Probably absolutely terrifying. Especially if it's a thunderstorm at night.
Rain/thunderstorms and snowstorms would make this game perfect atmospherically.

Hopefully 343I will add them🤘🏻
Give them time. These technical aspects require years of optimization so they can maintain the in game performance.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3