Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

No red outlines, please.

OP The MetaChief

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
This is so simple. Just use the Friend or Foe tags, the waypoints. Friendlies have tags above their heads. If you accidentally shoot your mate you'll figure out real quick that they're friendly. It should be obvious
Yes it shouldbe simple, but everyone saying it wouldn't work hasn't played any other multiplayer game besides Halo. So many shooters have tags above the head and its not hard at all to tell your teammates apart unless you're pretty dense.
Not just that but having no aim assist on teammates just makes it that much harder to teamkill.
"No matter what 343i do there will be people who don’t like it - people who are upset tend to be the loudest which doesn’t necessarily mean that they represent the whole community or are correct either."
TheDonCJG
Actually I think people cant stand it anymore, and come here to vent and gripe.
I came here about a year ago because everyone I know in real life and on xbox live has been banned from this forum, and i wanted to express my opinions.
Outlines would suck, if it happens I pray there's a way to toggle it off
"No matter what 343i do there will be people who don’t like it - people who are upset tend to be the loudest which doesn’t necessarily mean that they represent the whole community or are correct either."
TheDonCJGActually I think people cant stand it anymore, and come here to vent and gripe.
I came here about a year ago because everyone I know in real life and on xbox live has been banned from this forum, and i wanted to express my opinions.
This sounds like you’re assuming the worst case scenario and already judging something before we’ve ever seen or tried it. Personally I’m not going to judge anything outright til it’s actually happened. No point for me to be getting worked up over something that may not even be a thing.

I can’t comment to your friends being banned as I’m not the right person for that.
Only thing I can say is trying to be objective and provide constructive criticism and thoughts will often go further in a conversation/forum discussion.
TheDonCJG wrote:
TheDonCJGActually I think people cant stand it anymore, and come here to vent and gripe.
This sounds like you’re assuming the worst case scenario and already judging something before we’ve ever seen or tried it. Personally I’m not going to judge anything outright til it’s actually happened. No point for me to be getting worked up over something that may not even be a thing.

I can’t comment to your friends being banned as I’m not the right person for that.
Only thing I can say is trying to be objective and provide constructive criticism and thoughts will often go further in a conversation/forum discussion.
I don't feel too emotional either way about outlines.
I think it's a bad idea, but I'd roll with it.
The bannings happened years ago. ... Oh, except a couple of them happened within this year or so. Those 2 bannings were the only ones I've seen.
My point is, a lot of people cant provide any feedback at all. Which might be for the best since it won't be constructive, and they're old school, but still.
Pretty sure if I asked every single one they would be against outlines. But I can only speak for myself 😀
Make it a toggle.
A nametag above someone's spartan should be good enough.
Drahicr wrote:
+ 1 stuff like that ruins immersion.
Not really when you consider they are wearing helmets with a HUD.
Drahicr wrote:
+ 1 stuff like that ruins immersion.
Not really when you consider they are wearing helmets with a HUD.
Really? Red outlines on enemies isn't immersion breaking cause we have a HUD? smh. I'm glad you're not working on this game
sniper945 wrote:
Where is this rumor coming from? Until 343 announces it we have no idea what's going to happen.
There's a promotional image with 2 spartans in a warthog and both are wearing coatings and not team colors. One spartan is driving and the other is on the turrent. Either they've made a different mode or its safe to assume team colors are gone for every mode or just some.
I mean, it's just some promo art, it may not reflect the real/final state of the game.

Personally, the fact that many other FPS games don't feature team colors is the main reason it should stay in Infinite. That's a unique part of Halo's multiplayer experience. 343 has done some daring and arrogant moves in the past regarding Halo, but I'd be shocked to see them remove team colors. Hell, the most well-known machinima series on the internet is called Red Vs. Blue. That alone should show anyone how team colors is a vital part of the game's identity. Just because other games feature something doesn't mean Halo has to as well, especially when it's something that is so simple and effective that to change it would add unneeded complexity to something as simple as denoting what team someone is on.
Rancheroni wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
Where is this rumor coming from? Until 343 announces it we have no idea what's going to happen.
There's a promotional image with 2 spartans in a warthog and both are wearing coatings and not team colors. One spartan is driving and the other is on the turrent. Either they've made a different mode or its safe to assume team colors are gone for every mode or just some.
I mean, it's just some promo art, it may not reflect the real/final state of the game.

Personally, the fact that many other FPS games don't feature team colors is the main reason it should stay in Infinite. That's a unique part of Halo's multiplayer experience. 343 has done some daring and arrogant moves in the past regarding Halo, but I'd be shocked to see them remove team colors. Hell, the most well-known machinima series on the internet is called Red Vs. Blue. That alone should show anyone how team colors is a vital part of the game's identity. Just because other games feature something doesn't mean Halo has to as well, especially when it's something that is so simple and effective that to change it would add unneeded complexity to something as simple as denoting what team someone is on.
What exactly is complex about every fps that's had tags above the head or outlines for the past 10+ years?
On the topic of multiplayer it has been discussed that Red vs Blue may not be returning..If that's the case I imagine the in-universe reasoning will be that the Infinity was destroyed so, now the Spartans have to train for real. Perhaps on Reach?

Anyway, point is - I can do without RvB but please; don't put glowing red outlines on the enemy. Halo 5 already looked like a power ranger cartoon; lets steer clear of that please!
For the record, Halo 5, did NOT have outlines in multiplayer. That was only in spectator mode, for tournaments.
On the topic of multiplayer it has been discussed that Red vs Blue may not be returning..If that's the case I imagine the in-universe reasoning will be that the Infinity was destroyed so, now the Spartans have to train for real. Perhaps on Reach?

Anyway, point is - I can do without RvB but please; don't put glowing red outlines on the enemy. Halo 5 already looked like a power ranger cartoon; lets steer clear of that please!
For the record, Halo 5, did NOT have outlines in multiplayer. That was only in spectator mode, for tournaments.
Still looked like candy power rangers.
This is so simple. Just use the Friend or Foe tags, the waypoints. Friendlies have tags above their heads. If you accidentally shoot your mate you'll figure out real quick that they're friendly. It should be obvious
Yes it shouldbe simple, but everyone saying it wouldn't work hasn't played any other multiplayer game besides Halo. So many shooters have tags above the head and its not hard at all to tell your teammates apart unless you're pretty dense.
The amount of times I've been accidentally shot at by teammates in those "other multiplayer games" when I pop up on their screen solidifies my thought that RvB is just better overall and allows for quicker identification of teammates/enemies. Battlefield and CoD are the worst offenders.
The amount of times I've been accidentally shot at by teammates in those "other multiplayer games" when I pop up on their screen solidifies my thought that RvB is just better overall and allows for quicker identification of teammates/enemies. Battlefield and CoD are the worst offenders.
Exactly. Red vs blue simply works. There's no mistaking the guy who's the same color as you as being an enemy. However, when a small name is all that tells you whether they're friend or foe, you're more likely to fire a shot if they pop out from behind a corner.
Rancheroni wrote:
sniper945 wrote:

What exactly is complex about every fps that's had tags above the head or outlines for the past 10+ years?
I'm not saying its too complex. I'm saying that what we've had in Halo is both extremely simple and straightforward, as well as essential to the identity of Halo. It's a significant part of Halo's past and place in multiplayer shooters. Why change that?

Besides, while red names overhead or outlines may be simple to experienced gamers like anyone on these forums, that change doesn't translate to people who have never played a game in their lives. It's a lot easier for people who have never touched a game in their life to be told "shoot the blue guys" than to say "shoot the guys with red names and red outlines". There are plenty of inexperienced and new gamers who will friendly fire in games like Destiny 2 which feature these systems because they don't know any better. The simplicity has always worked for Halo, I just see no reason to change that
Exactly. Red vs blue simply works. There's no mistaking the guy who's the same color as you as being an enemy. However, when a small name is all that tells you whether they're friend or foe, you're more likely to fire a shot if they pop out from behind a corner.
Please don't take that third line out of context.
Also, we all forget that there's a possibility for classic colours to be a toggle for PVP, with how much 343 cares about halos legacy. If you look at MCC it shows potential.
I doubt this would work this time around. If their armour coating shaders work like I think they do, I doubt you can just change the base color that easily. Hence why the rumor about losing the classic RvB scheme was around since coatings have been explained more in detail. The last art piece only confirms what many already expected!

Maybe the undersuit? But that would look ugly as sin! 😛 Black undersuit for the win!
I think it'd be cool if they found other ways to differentiate teams outside of red vs blue so we can actually use our colours outside of FFA (which I never even play lol). Obviously that would be a very controversial change for the community just like literally anything is, ridiculous or not. So maybe add a toggle. You could choose to use red vs blue, or whatever new system/s they come up with.
Also, we all forget that there's a possibility for classic colours to be a toggle for PVP, with how much 343 cares about halos legacy. If you look at MCC it shows potential.
I doubt this would work this time around. If their armour coating shaders work like I think they do, I doubt you can just change the base color that easily. Hence why the rumor about losing the classic RvB scheme was around since coatings have been explained more in detail. The last art piece only confirms what many already expected!

Maybe the undersuit? But that would look ugly as sin! 😛 Black undersuit for the win!
I mean it actually is that easy, the game defaults everyone to two different shaders. Red and Blue. Just like how when the servers ping for the players information and checks "what shader, armor, specifics etc" its actually less difficult than collecting all that data in the first place. You have to remember that every device renders a separate version of the game that runs on Rules. This is how mods and hacks work.

Never say never :) but if its not in at launch it would be because it wasn't a priority, which you cant blame them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3