Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Observations of the E3 2019 Trailer

OP Bio Goji 1989

Okay, having just watched the E3 2019 Trailer, I've noticed a few things that caught my interest.
  1. Chief grabs what appears to be an MA37 Assault Rifle while in the pelican. Given that we saw Reach-era designs for Marines or possibly Army troopers in the E3 2018 Teaser, this may imply that the pilot seen powering up the Chief's armor is perhaps a member of the UNSC Army, which was the only branch of the UNSC to still use the MA37 in any official capacity by the time of Reach's fall and the Battle of Installation 04. Or... the man just grabbed whatever weaponry he could find prior to his being stranded in that pelican.
  2. The destroyed Halo Ring. So... given the words of the pilot telling Chief that "We lost," we can assume that, at the very least, a major battle took place either on or around this Halo installation, and things went south for the UNSC forces involved in the battle against The Created.
  3. The art design of the Halo Ring's interior structure. The interior structure we see the Chief entering during the final seconds of the trailer seems to resemble the interior of Installation 04 (Combat Evolved Anniversary).
  4. The BIOS of the MJOLNIR Armor. We see the words "Preparing AI intrusion countermeasures" on the screen when the armor boots up. This implies that Cortana and other AI which have joined The Created have found ways of directly infiltrating and interfering with advanced military hardware since the events of Halo 5.
  5. The pilot's dialogue regarding the Chief's armor is reminiscent of the Gunnery Sergeant's dialogue in the opening cutscene of The Armory from Halo 2 when he notes how severely damaged the components of the Mk. V's armor were. The dialogue isn't the same, just very reminiscent. It's a nice little callback.
  6. Chief is floating around in space before the pilot guy finds him. I would say that is is also indicative of a battle being fought and lost around the ring, but the pilot's dialogue makes it seem that either he was unaware of the Chief having been part of the battle, or the Chief wasn't part of the battle but simply got deposited in the area at some point afterward due to at this time unknown circumstances.
  7. The service branch of the UNSC for the pilot seen in the trailer is not officially stated. This bothers me because I don't want to use incorrect terminology and refer to a possible Marine as a soldier, nor do I want to refer to an Army soldier as a Marine by accident.
  8. The pilot's facial hair grows from mostly regulation to full on face-covering, indicating a long passage of time... or a continuity error. I mean... how long was this guy drifting out there?
  9. Final observation... The CLASSIC HALO THEME played during the credits of the trailer, indicating that we will hear more classic themes in this game! Yee-HAW!!! :)
If anyone has any other observations of their own to add, please do so.

If anyone wishes to call me a poopy-head for getting something wrong, please do so.
Nice observations. So maybe Chief and this pilot were aboard a ship that was bombed by the Created, and the pilot was able to escape with the Pelican while the chief exploded inside and was left to float in space. They seemed to know each other, didn't they?
I had nothing to call out, but I'm just glad somebody else noticed the MA37 Assault Rifle, which I wasn't too thrilled about myself. Never cared for the way it looked back in Reach, and would have much preferred the MA5D again, but I won't write it off until we say a clearer view of the model itself.
Nice observations. So maybe Chief and this pilot were aboard a ship that was bombed by the Created, and the pilot was able to escape with the Pelican while the chief exploded inside and was left to float in space. They seemed to know each other, didn't they?
Well, the pilot guy certainly seemed to know who the Chief was, but I think everybody in the UNSC knows who the Chief is by this point in the series. The Chief himself didn't really seem to show any signs of knowing this guy on a personal basis, at least from what I saw in the trailer. What did the Chief say or do that makes you think he knows the pilot?

I'm not trying to sound argumentative; I just want to know if there's something in the trailer that I missed.
Uuv wrote:
I had nothing to call out, but I'm just glad somebody else noticed the MA37 Assault Rifle, which I wasn't too thrilled about myself. Never cared for the way it looked back in Reach, and would have much preferred the MA5D again, but I won't write it off until we say a clearer view of the model itself.
Hm... yeah, I've never liked the weapon's first person perspective either. I like the way it looks in terms of side profile, but when holding it in first person the weapon just looks... off, somehow. I do like the firing sound, however.

Personally, my favorite Assault Rifle profile is the MA5B from Combat Evolved. Not Anniversary, which is nice, but the Classic Version. It's an iconic silhouette that is practically synonymous with Halo itself. I hated the first person perspective of the MA5C in Halo 3 in ODST, however. It just seemed too close to the screen for my comfort. The MA5D in Halo 4 was also very similar, but I think the AR from Halo 5 has a decent look to it. I really like the way it harkens back to the E3 2000 demo appearance for the original AR with the brown almost wood-like finish on various parts, although the Halo 5 AR has green finish instead.

However, I noticed that the MA37, or what at least looks like it,didn't seem to have that yellow stripe found on the Reach and HW2 era MA37. Maybe it was just the lighting, but I think the weapon had just one solid color scheme.
The guy seems to know an awful lot about Spartan armor, so he’s not an average pilot or solider, etc.

He also addresses the Chief casually rather than “yes, sir” and “no, sir.”
The guy seems to know an awful lot about Spartan armor, so he’s not an average pilot or solider, etc.

He also addresses the Chief casually rather than “yes, sir” and “no, sir.”
Hmm... okay then. Point taken.
Regarding 6, a point may have been that Chief was involved in the battle but it was thought he was KIA (similar to the Halo 3 ending), so finding him was a surprise.

Regarding 8, this trailer was probably highly-edited every last tenth of a second, so I'm willing to bet it was not a continuity error and designed to show a long passage of time. This is probably because they want to throw away as much of the Halo 5 campaign as they can. They can do this by just fast-forwarding a couple years and saying "yeah we had a battle. Blue team? Dead. Osiris? Dead. So, [new story]."
It’s curious that he says “we’re going home” after he gets the Chief’s armor back online. Was he looking for him and his mission is now complete? Does he think the Chief can save him from his current predicament? Why so sure about that? etc.
Hate to be a downer but just throwing this out there - while I'm sure there are plenty of small details (such as dates, the fact that we now have Gen III MJOLNIR, etc.) thrown in there not at all unintentionally by 343, I still wouldn't be surprised if the events of this trailer don't actually end up being a part of the complete game. Kinda like how so many people are still looking for the Chief wearing a poncho wandering in the desert and then stumbles upon a Guardian as in the infamous H5 trailer. (Of course this one was a heck of a lot longer than that.)

It could be that this was an entirely self contained, non canonical nugget just intended to capture the "feel" of the narrative, maybe?

(That doesn't mean it's not fun to speculate! 😊)
KayMrt wrote:
Regarding 6, a point may have been that Chief was involved in the battle but it was thought he was KIA (similar to the Halo 3 ending), so finding him was a surprise.

Regarding 8, this trailer was probably highly-edited every last tenth of a second, so I'm willing to bet it was not a continuity error and designed to show a long passage of time. This is probably because they want to throw away as much of the Halo 5 campaign as they can. They can do this by just fast-forwarding a couple years and saying "yeah we had a battle. Blue team? Dead. Osiris? Dead. So, [new story]."
So, are you saying that a couple years passed within the trailer itself, or between the events of Halo 5 and Infinite? I'm fine with the latter, but the former just raises all sorts of questions since I don't see any cryo pods in the pelican to keep the pilot alive for that long. Although... I guess I'm okay with Osiris being dead (except Buck), since they were all pretty forgettable anyway. Blue Team... hmmm... I've read The Fall of Reach novel (Do NOT mention that animated abomination 343 pushed out a while back), so I do sort of have a bit of an attachment... to a degree. It would have been nice if Halo 5 had at least taken the time to introduce the characters to casual fans by maybe having a cutscene where Chief is reunited with them along with some basic information. As it stands, anyone who hasn't read the books probably won't care if Blue Team doesn't return, and given how little we actually saw of them in the game itself... even people who did read the books might not care at this point either.

Although, I regret not having thought of your own point myself regarding observation # 6.

Still... does anybody have any idea as to what service branch the pilot guy belongs to!? Wait... I can just change his designation to pilot instead of UNSC guy! Yeah. I'll do that.
KayMrt wrote:

So, are you saying that a couple years passed within the trailer itself, or between the events of Halo 5 and Infinite? I'm fine with the latter, but the former just raises all sorts of questions since I don't see any cryo pods in the pelican to keep the pilot alive for that long. Although... I guess I'm okay with Osiris being dead (except Buck), since they were all pretty forgettable anyway. Blue Team... hmmm... I've read The Fall of Reach novel (Do NOT mention that animated abomination 343 pushed out a while back), so I do sort of have a bit of an attachment... to a degree. It would have been nice if Halo 5 had at least taken the time to introduce the characters to casual fans by maybe having a cutscene where Chief is reunited with them along with some basic information. As it stands, anyone who hasn't read the books probably won't care if Blue Team doesn't return, and given how little we actually saw of them in the game itself... even people who did read the books might not care at this point either.

Although, I regret not having thought of your own point myself regarding observation # 6.

Still... does anybody have any idea as to what service branch the pilot guy belongs to!? Wait... I can just change his designation to pilot instead of UNSC guy! Yeah. I'll do that.
As someone who didn't read the books, I was (and still kind of am) confused about what on earth happened in Halo 5 haha. I have no attachment to Blue Team at all. Though, my lines of dialogue were just an example of how to dismiss as much of Halo 5's disaster of a story that they can. They obviously can't dismiss that Cortana went bad and decided to rule the world, but they can basically ignore almost everything else (if they want to). How they choose to ignore it is up to them, but one way commonly used is just a death.

As for the time thing, I think Infinite is supposed to take place 3 years after 5. As for the time lapse with the pilot, who knows. That beard could only take a couple months to grow, but you are right we simply don't know. I'm sure it will be explained later, though, regarding who he is and why he was adrift. 343 has been calling him the Pilot so that's what I'll refer to him as for now. I appreciate you respect to the military on wanting to get the branch and designation right, though.
10. The game seemingly takes place after 19/09/2561, as that is the date Chief's armour was last modified, according to the visor bootup.
I have an observation. Near the end of the trailer when the scene transitions to the Control room, a blue pulse erupts upward. Same thing happens when Tartarus/Miranda activate Delta Halo In Halo 2. At first I thought it was just a cool transitional effect, but I think there’s more to it.
Okay, having just watched the E3 2019 Trailer, I've noticed a few things that caught my interest.
  1. Chief grabs what appears to be an MA37 Assault Rifle while in the pelican. Given that we saw Reach-era designs for Marines or possibly Army troopers in the E3 2018 Teaser, this may imply that the pilot seen powering up the Chief's armor is perhaps a member of the UNSC Army, which was the only branch of the UNSC to still use the MA37 in any official capacity by the time of Reach's fall and the Battle of Installation 04. Or... the man just grabbed whatever weaponry he could find prior to his being stranded in that pelican.
  2. The destroyed Halo Ring. So... given the words of the pilot telling Chief that "We lost," we can assume that, at the very least, a major battle took place either on or around this Halo installation, and things went south for the UNSC forces involved in the battle against The Created.
  3. The art design of the Halo Ring's interior structure. The interior structure we see the Chief entering during the final seconds of the trailer seems to resemble the interior of Installation 04 (Combat Evolved Anniversary).
  4. The BIOS of the MJOLNIR Armor. We see the words "Preparing AI intrusion countermeasures" on the screen when the armor boots up. This implies that Cortana and other AI which have joined The Created have found ways of directly infiltrating and interfering with advanced military hardware since the events of Halo 5.
  5. The pilot's dialogue regarding the Chief's armor is reminiscent of the Gunnery Sergeant's dialogue in the opening cutscene of The Armory from Halo 2 when he notes how severely damaged the components of the Mk. V's armor were. The dialogue isn't the same, just very reminiscent. It's a nice little callback.
  6. Chief is floating around in space before the pilot guy finds him. I would say that is is also indicative of a battle being fought and lost around the ring, but the pilot's dialogue makes it seem that either he was unaware of the Chief having been part of the battle, or the Chief wasn't part of the battle but simply got deposited in the area at some point afterward due to at this time unknown circumstances.
  7. The service branch of the UNSC for the pilot seen in the trailer is not officially stated. This bothers me because I don't want to use incorrect terminology and refer to a possible Marine as a soldier, nor do I want to refer to an Army soldier as a Marine by accident.
  8. The pilot's facial hair grows from mostly regulation to full on face-covering, indicating a long passage of time... or a continuity error. I mean... how long was this guy drifting out there?
  9. Final observation... The CLASSIC HALO THEME played during the credits of the trailer, indicating that we will hear more classic themes in this game! Yee-HAW!!! :)
If anyone has any other observations of their own to add, please do so.

If anyone wishes to call me a poopy-head for getting something wrong, please do so.
The fact that you pointed out the "pilot guys'" facial hair has grown over time is in fact pretty interesting. Yes, I know, that sounds strange, but like you said, it does give a sense of time passing by.

I noticed how Master Chief's armor in this trailer says 117 on the chest plate, indicating that this is the OG armor. The plating on the back of his hand and etc. shows a mixture of different game style armors, including Halo Wars and Halo 3.

What I also found pretty interesting was that at 4:08 in the trailer, Master Chief inserted the AI that once held Cortana, and it had said "> > AI NOT DETECTED < <". Then, at 5:39, you hear Cortana speaking to the Master Chief, and he approaches where she is, and takes his AI chip out from his helmet. So who knows? Maybe Cortana has changed, and she may become good again.