Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Oddball should not be in infinite

OP Turgon T24

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
TheDonCJG wrote:
I’m going to have to disagree with this one.
Oddball is a classic fan favourite and even a personal favourite for me. Playing a game of oddball with my friends is always a blast, I’m sad it’s not as common in rotation these days.

A lot of modes were brought into Halo 5 late, including Infection. Does that make Infection bad too?
As for how Oddball is broken, do you have any examples?
If you’re referring to the ball not being a one hit kill, that’s a gameplay change rather than it being broken and can be adjusted in Custom Game settings - it’s just set different for public matchmaking. Do I like it that way? Not really but I’ll live, doesn’t change the mode in any drastic fashion in my opinion.

I suppose in a worst case scenario for you, if Infinite does have Oddball...you could just not play it? Means everybody wins, the people who want it can play it, the people who don’t like it don’t have to play it.
Wasn’t the fact that they brought it in late they should never have put it into the rotation of ctf slayer because of that I quit playing it was no longer enjoyable and yes I’m one of the few people that also does not like infection
sniper945 wrote:
I want every gametype to come back. So long as they balance it for fun, that's all I'm worried about.

What about Oddball did you not like in H5?
The main problem was spawns you can never come up with a system where it fair for both sides
Turgon T24 wrote:
TheDonCJG wrote:
I’m going to have to disagree with this one.
Oddball is a classic fan favourite and even a personal favourite for me. Playing a game of oddball with my friends is always a blast, I’m sad it’s not as common in rotation these days.

A lot of modes were brought into Halo 5 late, including Infection. Does that make Infection bad too?
As for how Oddball is broken, do you have any examples?
If you’re referring to the ball not being a one hit kill, that’s a gameplay change rather than it being broken and can be adjusted in Custom Game settings - it’s just set different for public matchmaking. Do I like it that way? Not really but I’ll live, doesn’t change the mode in any drastic fashion in my opinion.

I suppose in a worst case scenario for you, if Infinite does have Oddball...you could just not play it? Means everybody wins, the people who want it can play it, the people who don’t like it don’t have to play it.
Wasn’t the fact that they brought it in late they should never have put it into the rotation of ctf slayer because of that I quit playing it was no longer enjoyable and yes I’m one of the few people that also does not like infection
That’s fine if you don’t like infection, I’ve never been a huge fan of it in matchmaking either. Each to their own.

So from what you’re saying or at least me interpretation of what you’re saying is that you don’t like Oddball because it was put into a mix objective playlist?
I mean look, I understand you may not like a specific mode but outright removing it from the game because a small vocal minority of people don’t like it isn’t fair on everyone who does like it. From what I’m seeing here people on this thread are in support of Oddball.

Like I said in my previous post. It’s all about compromise. We can’t get everything we want all the time. Oddball exists for people who like the mode, if you get into a match of it here and there that’s fine, you don’t have to enjoy it. I might get into a game of territories, I won’t enjoy it but I understand why it’s in the game.
Lol that's just like saying "remove invaseion from Reach!"
Oddball is one of my favorite game types
I'm not a fan of the gametype either but as odd as it may sound (pun intended), I know quite alot of players who play Halo solely for oddball. Would be a little detrimental removing the game type since it's been popular for as long as I can remember.
OK, what about oddball was broken in H5? My time with H5 MP especially Arena, is severely limited, so please explain why it was broken. What about it did you not like?
There is zero logic or rationale in this post. It reads as someone who is salty and doesnt actually understand how to play oddball and loses most of the time so they want the game mode gone. Unless you can actually provide an objective argument that oddball is "a broken game" then this is a waste of a thread.

Its a legacy game mode that has been played an insane amount and is loved by many. There have been countless competitive matches of oddball that literally go down to SECONDS separating the winner from the loser across all of the halo games. its one of the best skill based objective game modes and if you have no clue how the game mode works of course it will seem broken or unfair to you. Its not a mode that you can win by just running around and shooting people with no serious teamwork / communication.
I don't think odd ball should be stripped from Infinite entirely. I do think it should be almost exclusively kept to ranked/ competitive modes though.

My opinion is that social games of odd ball have a higher likelihood than other modes of huge blowouts, quits, and one team griefing the other. In my anecdotal experience, it's much more common to be griefed in Odd Ball than other game modes.

I would say it should be limited to only ranked playlists in addition to a playlist in Social that it's sort of a stepping stone between social and ranked.
oddball should definitely be in infinite. its one of the more competitive game types. I don't see why you think it should not be included.... can you please explain?
It absolutely should be in the game. It should feature in team objective, or team ball (probably could have a better name) along with Assault. Preferably, it would feature a playlist involving Oddball, Assault, and Headhunter. Capture the flag should be its own playlist, or at the very least, only share its spot with King of the Hill.

However, more ideally, would be giving us the option to select game modes, like in the MCC. But even better than that, would be more specific options, so you could opt out of specific game modes, instead of just the entire genre (i.e. team objective).
this game mode is loved by many and is a classic mode

theres no fact or rationale behind this just cause you dont like the mode

in fact i really dont like assault but would i love to see it in infinite absolutey
Turgon T24 wrote:
One of the game types brought in later for h5 and it completely made playing arena not fun anymore it’s a broken game that does not belong
From this I assume you're a Halo newbie? Oddball has been in halo since Halo CE, and will definitely return.
dude wtf?? ahah
There is zero logic or rationale in this post. It reads as someone who is salty and doesnt actually understand how to play oddball and loses most of the time so they want the game mode gone. Unless you can actually provide an objective argument that oddball is "a broken game" then this is a waste of a thread.

Its a legacy game mode that has been played an insane amount and is loved by many. There have been countless competitive matches of oddball that literally go down to SECONDS separating the winner from the loser across all of the halo games. its one of the best skill based objective game modes and if you have no clue how the game mode works of course it will seem broken or unfair to you. Its not a mode that you can win by just running around and shooting people with no serious teamwork / communication.
I'm beginning to wonder if OP is like those people who go into objective based games with the mindset of "this is just slayer, but the points/kills are limitless!" and then gets upset when they get thrashed. Personally I hate Oddball, not my favorite game mode (but then again I hate most objective game modes because no one seems to ever play them as objective game modes) but I understand a lot of others like it. Whether it goes or stays is of no consequence to me, but I'm also not going to be upset if it stays. I literally have an entire list of other things to play so I'm perfectly fine with it.

More or less I'm just lost as to what the OP was expecting the conversations to be.

I'm beginning to wonder if OP is like those people who go into objective based games with the mindset of "this is just slayer, but the points/kills are limitless!" and then gets upset when they get thrashed. Personally I hate Oddball, not my favorite game mode (but then again I hate most objective game modes because no one seems to ever play them as objective game modes) but I understand a lot of others like it. Whether it goes or stays is of no consequence to me, but I'm also not going to be upset if it stays. I literally have an entire list of other things to play so I'm perfectly fine with it.

More or less I'm just lost as to what the OP was expecting the conversations to be.
Unfortunately the vast majority of casual halo players, play all objective modes like this: "Slayer but one of my teamate does all the objective stuff".

As soon as even 2 people on the other team see this behavior and work together to exploit it? youve lost. thats why objective modes are almost always 1 sided even in social.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2