Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

ODST Play Style in Halo Infinite

OP GoGoGadgetHero

Some friends of mine really enjoyed the gameplay mechanics of the ODST gametype. Very smooth and the pacing overall. No thrusters, ground pounds, or Spartan Charges. We agreed that if Halo Infinite had a similar feel that would be great!
Do you like the ODST gametype?
Would you like to see similar gameplay in Halo Infinite?
odst gameplay means no shields, more recoil, and bobbing when crouch walking because odst's aren't super humans like spartans and seeing as how infinite follows chief that playstyle probably wouldn't be the most fitting. I did like how the grenades were handled though. 3 of each and for some reason it seemed like you could throw much farther/higher but that might've only seemed that way because the camera was lowered.
This sounds basically like classic gameplay. ODST was supposed to feel slightly different than Halo 3 since you were not a supersoldier, but still have nearly all the same mechanics as the other Halo games. But yeah, I want classic gameplay with no gimmicks back. Getting real tired of thrusters and all that other stuff that negates your skill with aiming and movement.
I'd say that if enhanced mobility is removed in Infinite (bit of a big "If", there), most of what you're going for can be achieved by messing with base player traits.

In Reach, I had tweaked player traits a lot in a Firefight custom game type to try and get that ODST feeling. It wasn't perfect, but I eventually got to something that was acceptably similar and fun to play, which also bumped up the challenge quotient of Reach FF considerably. If Infinite brings back Firefight (Another unfortunately big "If") and allows players to mess around with custom settings like prior games, odds are you'll be able to emulate the feeling of movement from most of the previous games to lesser or greater extents depending on how similar the base player traits are.
I sincerely hope that Infinite does not feel like ODST Slayer. That game mode felt extremely foreign from what I'm used to when it comes to Halo.
ODST slayer is actually pretty cool and a lot of fun to switch it up online but never would I ever want that to be the mainline feel of the overall game. Not unless it’s an ODST sequel, in which case bring it on and let’s have an Orbital drop team battle royale on smaller/mid sized Halo maps based around this game type, some team ODST slayer, and a classic ODST set of firefight maps along with another dark and brooding campaign where we squeeze Nathan Fillion in somewhere and some rainy piano music.
Sprint , slide , clamber with a faster time to kill . Yes it's been fun on the odst playlist .buts it's hardly classic and the quicker TTK because of the no shields isnt really in line with any halo title ( except odst ) . So no I don't think it's the way to go for infinite , but who really knows for sure , I sure 343 have got some focus group somewhere ready to change up the meta because why not ?
I'd be fine with that but personally I'd replace sprinting with thrusters
omarlotrc wrote:
I sincerely hope that Infinite does not feel like ODST Slayer. That game mode felt extremely foreign from what I'm used to when it comes to Halo.
Have you played Halo CE? We are aiming for a more of a simpler game style for Infinite. No thrusters and ground pound type stuff. That way people can rely on their skills more. Thanks for replying though. I like to see what other people think.
omarlotrc wrote:
Have you played Halo CE? We are aiming for a more of a simpler game style for Infinite. No thrusters and ground pound type stuff. That way people can rely on their skills more. Thanks for replying though. I like to see what other people think.
I have played every Halo game that has been released to this day. I agree that a simpler gameplay style is optimal, but I am not a fan of how much ODST Slayer focuses on sprinting and sliding.
omarlotrc wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
I have played every Halo game that has been released to this day. I agree that a simpler gameplay style is optimal, but I am not a fan of how much ODST Slayer focuses on sprinting and sliding.
That's understandable and perfectly fine. Thanks!
I'd say that if enhanced mobility is removed in Infinite (bit of a big "If", there), most of what you're going for can be achieved by messing with base player traits.

In Reach, I had tweaked player traits a lot in a Firefight custom game type to try and get that ODST feeling. It wasn't perfect, but I eventually got to something that was acceptably similar and fun to play, which also bumped up the challenge quotient of Reach FF considerably. If Infinite brings back Firefight (Another unfortunately big "If") and allows players to mess around with custom settings like prior games, odds are you'll be able to emulate the feeling of movement from most of the previous games to lesser or greater extents depending on how similar the base player traits are.
I also love playing with the settings in reachs firefight mode , I also try and do the same in cod with bots to see if I can make it feel more like halo . I wish h5 had bots as it's has the most versatile sandbox this far in halo . Im hoping infinite has bots for the mp maps and ff and many setting variables like h5 .
This is NOT a good idea. ODST's playstyle fit itself because you weren't a SPARTAN, you were just a unaugmented soldier. It most definitely won't fit a game in which you play as a SPARTAN.

I also love playing with the settings in reachs firefight mode , I also try and do the same in cod with bots to see if I can make it feel more like halo . I wish h5 had bots as it's has the most versatile sandbox this far in halo . Im hoping infinite has bots for the mp maps and ff and many setting variables like h5 .
I too hope Halo Infinite has bots for MP. Since 343i is bringing back 4 player split screen, it would be nice to be able to add custom bots. It can be pretty difficult for my brothers to play Halo online since they don't play that much. This is why we gravitate towards playing 007 Nightfire or OG Battlefront II around Christmas time.

Sometimes its fun to just relax and just wreck bots.
Hunter2747 wrote:
This is NOT a good idea. ODST's playstyle fit itself because you weren't a SPARTAN, you were just a unaugmented soldier. It most definitely won't fit a game in which you play as
Hunter2747 wrote:
This is NOT a good idea. ODST's playstyle fit itself because you weren't a SPARTAN, you were just a unaugmented soldier. It most definitely won't fit a game in which you play as a SPARTAN.
You might want to re-read the topic. We are talking about the mechanics of the gameplay. No Spartan Charges, ground pounds or thrusters. Not the overall gameplay style from ODST. A similar feel. Obviously Master Chief will be a super soldier because he is.
I'm all in for this, but with shields obviously + maybe thruster packs can return