Old Gen Console Versions should be Cancelled

OP Sparhawk122

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
After Cyberpunk 2077, it pushes to the forefront an issue of developing new gen games on last gen consoles. (Which in my opinion contradicts the point of new gen in the first place)

Last gen console versions should be ditched so as they do not hamper/cripple the potential of new gen games.

Due to old gen hardware it can limit game development in regards to these main points:

1. Size of mission areas.
2. How assets are loaded into the game and how quickly. aka LOD, draw distance. Example, games designed to also be played on old hardware have serious issues with object and texture pop in.
3. How many enemies/friendlies can be on screen at once including particles, explosions, vehicles etc.
4. How advanced the AI of enemies and allies alike can be. Example, better AI is more CPU intensive and thus will have to be dumbed down for older hardware support.
5. Corpse and item persistency. Example how long dead enemies/friendlies and dropped weapons or vehicle wrecks stay in the gameworld before disappearing. Older hardware will have it so the game will have items and corpses disappearing very fast. So sadly no backtracking for dropped weapon pick-ups. And no battlefields littered with dead enemies to help add to the immersion that you are in an actual war. You may have noticed how the Brute drop pods in the Halo: Infinite July gameplay near instantaneously disappeared from the gameworld. Yeah designed for old gen console hardware.

To wrap this up I would also like to add that for a game that they want to last "10 years". It's going to be hard to support this game on old gen consoles for another additional 10 years when by the time this game releases the old gen hardware will be verging on 9 years old. This will also limit how good the additional content can be that is added to the game over the 10 years live service period when old gen consoles still need to be able to play it.

Thoughts?
I wonder how many people who are saying “cancel halo infinite for the older consoles” have the newer series or plan on getting the new series 🤔

if they can pull it off then why not? Otherwise you’re going to knock down the player base even further.
Yikes, I have seen a few videos about how messy Cyberpunk 2077 is on older gen consoles, it boggles my mind how someone thought it was a good idea to release it on said consoles. It was clearly not ready for release, but they did it anyway.

That said, I do not mind if Infinite comes on older gen, but again, they need to ensure it runs properly at a basic level first. By that, I mean being able to play it normally without any major issues in the way. Maybe some glitches here and there will be found and will be used for speedruns, but should be no big deal for other players who wish to play normally. As long as the game does not break itself at any given moment without notice, its all fine by me.
I never would have agreed with this before, but then Cyberpunk happened. Now I would still hate to see them do it... but I would understand.
I've already given my share on this topic. So this is just a copy and paste from another post I did.

"Let me ask a simple question...

Why support the Xbox One version if Halo Infinite is going to last 10 years?

By the 2nd or 3rd year, everyone will have moved on from Xbox One to Series X/S. And by focusing purely on next gen consoles now, 343 will have a much higher chance of setting up a perfect masterpiece for 10 years. And not to mention, development will be much easier and less hectic on the developers. Which leads to healthier mindset, more inspiration, more passion, and overall better teamwork.

Think long term success. Not short term.

Halo Infinite should be THE GAME that will get people to buy the Series X just like Halo Combat Evolved was the game that got people to buy the Xbox 20 years ago. What a perfect opportunity to mirror that!

I do not have anywhere near the money to buy the Series X anytime soon due to school tuition. But I know I will. And even I say 343 should drop the Xbox One version.

Maybe it's because I'm willing to set aside short term gratification and focus on long term gratification."

The Last Of Us started with ZERO player base because that was the 1st game. Now it has millions of fans and Part II is probably the most sold PS4 game. Same can be said about Horizon Zero Dawn.

The point is.... Canceling the Xbox One version may alienate certain parts of the fan base, but if the game is a masterpiece, it will find its own audience and millions will buy the Series X just for it.

And I believe 343 has a much higher chance of crafting an amazing game when they're focused on next gen consoles and setting up a strong foundation for the next 10 years.

Some may argue against me and win. But my mind won't change.
A week ago we were speaking on a topic that I wrote on this very subject. I was going to put the link here but I'm watching now and I think the topic has been removed.

After much talking, we came to the conclusion that the Xbox One version would end up being abandoned sooner or later as happened to the first version of Destiny on Xbox 360.

Since Halo Infinite intends to be the main Halo platform for the next 10 years, it stands to reason that Xbox One will never be able to last those 10 years.

So it would be logical to consider whether or not this version is canceled, for the sake of Halo Infinite.
Tariq9898 wrote:
I've already given my share on this topic. So this is just a copy and paste from another post I did.

"Let me ask a simple question...

Why support the Xbox One version if Halo Infinite is going to last 10 years?By the 2nd or 3rd year, everyone will have moved on from Xbox One to Series X/S. And by focusing purely on next gen consoles now, 343 will have a much higher chance of setting up a perfect masterpiece for 10 years. And not to mention, development will be much easier and less hectic on the developers. Which leads to healthier mindset, more inspiration, more passion, and overall better teamwork.Think long term success. Not short term.

Halo Infinite should be THE GAME that will get people to buy the Series X just like Halo Combat Evolved was the game that got people to buy the Xbox 20 years ago. What a perfect opportunity to mirror that!

I do not have anywhere near the money to buy the Series X anytime soon due to school tuition. But I know I will. And even I say 343 should drop the Xbox One version.

Maybe it's because I'm willing to set aside short term gratification and focus on long term gratification."_______________________________________
The Last Of Us started with ZERO player base because that was the 1st game. Now it has millions of fans and Part II is probably the most sold PS4 game. Same can be said about Horizon Zero Dawn.

The point is.... Canceling the Xbox One version may alienate certain parts of the fan base, but if the game is a masterpiece, it will find its own audience and millions will buy the Series X just for it.

And I believe 343 has a much higher chance of crafting an amazing game when they're focused on next gen consoles and setting up a strong foundation for the next 10 years.Some may argue against me and win. But my mind won't change.
Does the other topic appear to you where we spoke a week ago?
Cyberpunk is an unfinished game bro. 343 industries can make Halo inifnite to Xbox One
As much as I agree with the abandonment of the Xbox One version of Infinite, I'd like to see how it will play when we get to beta test said versions. I can't even get my hands on a Series X but I do agree that the game may suffer quite a bit on older hardware, although despite Cyberpunk's issues when it was released it was definitely optimized on PS5, PC, and Series X first. Making the game run on One and PS4 was last moment and because of how frequently they delayed it, the playerbase kept crying about it. They pushed the game out and of course it ran like crap on the older consoles. It all comes down to how well 343 have been focusing on either version and how much work they have put into it to make sure it runs good even on a 7? Year old console. If it runs meh on old gen I won't be too surprised. It's just like playing a game on a PC with low specs, if you've got a more powerful computer, the settings will increase.

I'm back and forth with it but with how much outcry everyone is making they'll probably address this sooner rather than later. We just have to wait, in the long run it's up to 343.
Scrapping the Xbox One version isn’t going to magically make the Series S|X version better. Infinite was designed for Xbox One in mind. It will simply look a lot better on the next-gen systems. What scrapping the Xbox One version WILL do is exclude millions of potential players.

Cyberpunk was just an sloppy, unoptimized mess on the PS4/Xbox One. It is no justification of the game not being able to run Halo Infinite. RDR2 on the vcr Xbox One still looks better than most games on Series X right now. RDR2’s environments are similair to Halo Infinite’s as well. The Xbox One version of Infinite won’t have to last ten years per se.
Yes and no. I have a Series X and CyberPunk runs well, I've had one boot to dash and a couple of odd glitches where I died for no apparent reason, and one where a side mission seemed to bug out and I had to load a save from five minutes before, and to be honest a few games do that now and then.

I also kept my Xbox One X, so I played CyberPunk on that. It was terrible, very choppy and definitely frame rate issues. In fact, Digital Foundry confirmed that CyberPunk was dropping to 20 fps and lower on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X at times. So having a Series X / S or PS5 ia a massive advantage.

CyberPunk clearly is a demanding game, especially on last gen consoles, and not just the base consoles, the mid gen upgraded Pro and X are struggling. We also know those consoles were not optomised well, but keep in mind Series X and PS5 are running base versions of CyberPunk in backward compaibility mode, these are not X/S, PS5 enhanced versions yet, and the difference is night and day.

We don't know if CDPR will get the base consoles up to acceptable performance and graphical levels, we don't know how much is dev error, executive pressure, and how much is hardware limitations, but from my personal experience the hardware makes a massive difference. If Halo Infinite needed an extra year there's obviously issues.

How much if any, applies to what we experienced with CyberPunk, we won't know. Only 343i have that answer. There's a massive install base on last gen hardware, but is it worth the risk if they have to refund them all ? Also Halo Infinite may run fine on last gen, but having seen the demo in July and the huge difference Series X makes to just base versions, I wouldn't bet on an excellent experience on last gen.

That's just my opinion though.
I used to think we shouldn't cancel old gen. Now I'm not sure I still believe that due to Cyberpunk. I know that Infinite and Cyberpunk are very different, but it's concerning, from what I've heard, that old gen is pretty much unplayable. I still partially think old gen shouldn't be cancelled because the Series X is impossible to find and not everyone is gonna pay $1,000 for a good PC
Depends on how it runs on last gen. If it runs like Cyberpunk then yeah cancel it. If they can get at least a stable 30fps then I say keep it.
Your wish might have come true https://twitter.com/JoeMiller101/status/1341336489414828032?s=20
Uny has debunked that. Halo Infinite will still be on Xbox One as far as we know.

His response to a tweet mentioning that Infinite will be a Next-Gen/PC exclusive.
Your wish might have come true https://twitter.com/JoeMiller101/status/1341336489414828032?s=20
His response to a tweet mentioning that Infinite will be a Next-Gen/PC exclusive.
Very true. Next-Gen has not been announced yet. Unless an Xbox Series Super Duper was secretly revealed lol.
It's cool with me bc I just want them to put the game out...
And I say this despite not knowing how to get a new console, even though I'm sure my 150 point microsoft scratch off might be a winner.

😉
eviltedi wrote:
Very true. Next-Gen has not been announced yet. Unless an Xbox Series Super Duper was secretly revealed lol.
Guess I should start calling it "current gen" lol. My b
eviltedi wrote:
Guess I should start calling it "current gen" lol. My b
Lol, yeah, I'm the same tbh. I think the backwards compatibility and lack of a cut off has blurred the generational transition imo.
A lot of my friends in the Halo Jumping community said that they wouldn't get Halo Infinite if its not on the Xbox One.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7