Open World Halo is a terrible idea.

OP SectionUnity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
Open world Halo game gives us a beautiful path to free roam and relax especially if the landscape is beautiful. However, with an open world to just roam leads nothing exciting.. like No Man's Sky. The only thing that would be good for Halo 6 would be the missions. And you know what missions lead to? RPG game.

RPG games have beautiful open world maps to go through and roam. What tops that is the missions, the quest, something to go through besides riding around in a car or killing something. Not just that, you also have a loot system, customization, and sometimes choice making. And that isn't what Halo is. Even if all that was taken out, a free roam game alone isn't that complex/unique.

It’s not that I have anything against open world games or halo having an open world game I just don’t want it to be a main series entry. Open world games are just not for me so I’d really hope halo infinite isn’t.
I highly doubt that’s what this is. Their blog post said they heard our feedback loud and clear and they know that people want Halo to return to being Halo. I would be completely dumbfounded if their big game back takes the series in yet another completely new direction. Backlash would be huge.
CHRIS673 wrote:
I highly doubt that’s what this is. Their blog post said they heard our feedback loud and clear and they know that people want Halo to return to being Halo. I would be completely dumbfounded if their big game back takes the series in yet another completely new direction. Backlash would be huge.
Thus why I also said an open world Halo game still is not complex. The only way to not turn the open world to become repetitive is RPG. And no one wants that. I'm sure of it.
I'm not entirely sure why everyone seems so positive that it's going to be an open world game. anyways, I kinda feel the same way. as a main line halo game I'm not sure an open world game is the best option. as a spin off game however, I am certainly not against it but it shouldn't be heavily militaristic if it comes up. I'm not sure the two could blend well. now make the character an elite and it'd be much easier to write for such a game.
Well what if it did have the elements of a good rpg, or a bigger player count?
My guess is the type of wide-open environment seen in the trailer is specifically for a Battle Royale mode, or perhaps a new/different large-scale mode that expands on Warzone.

The campaign will probably have the same type of linear structure as past Halos and will include smaller environments.
I doubt it's open world. Maybe a bit like Destiny though.
Open world Halo game gives us a beautiful path to free roam and relax especially if the landscape is beautiful. However, with an open world to just roam leads nothing exciting.. like No Man's Sky. The only thing that would be good for Halo 6 would be the missions. And you know what missions lead to? RPG game.

RPG games have beautiful open world maps to go through and roam. What tops that is the missions, the quest, something to go through besides riding around in a car or killing something. Not just that, you also have a loot system, customization, and sometimes choice making. And that isn't what Halo is. Even if all that was taken out, a free roam game alone isn't that complex/unique.
Its good to note that this is a Engine demo. Its not gameplay of any sorts, so it could just be the fact that they are showing off the cool areas the engine can take you within an FPS.
My guess is the type of wide-open environment seen in the trailer is specifically for a Battle Royale mode, or perhaps a new/different large-scale mode that expands on Warzone.

The campaign will probably have the same type of linear structure as past Halos and will include smaller environments.
It feels like the level design is kinda like halo 1, big open landscapes. Not necessarily open world, just really big making you need a worthog to get around.

But I'm on the side of no battle Royale. As much as it's a possibility, the mechanics would probably change the main game to much. Unless they go on a totally new type of battle royal, kinda like how people make those forge hunger games maps. Imagine those on a large scale and thats pretty much what it would be.
I welcome an Open World Halo. Really, Halo 3: ODST was the closest we got to something like that.
sniper945 wrote:
But I'm on the side of no battle Royale. As much as it's a possibility, the mechanics would probably change the main game to much.
There are ways I can see a Battle Royale mode working great in Halo.
How about the mode uses ODSTs and/or Marines instead of Spartans, without shields they're more vulnerable and more dependent on item pickups.
Halo has already featured survival modes to some degree, with Infection and ODST's Firefight
And a ship, slowly flying over a Halo ring and deploying ODST drop pods over a wide area, feels perfectly suited to such a mode.

Of course, I would want the game to include the full suit of smaller game modes at the same time, with Spartan players.
sniper945 wrote:
But I'm on the side of no battle Royale. As much as it's a possibility, the mechanics would probably change the main game to much.
There are ways I can see a Battle Royale mode working great in Halo.
How about the mode uses ODSTs and/or Marines instead of Spartans, without shields they're more vulnerable and more dependent on item pickups.
And a ship, slowly flying over a Halo ring and deploying ODST drop pods over a wide area, feels perfectly suited to such a mode.

Of course, I would want the game to include the full suit of smaller game modes at the same time, with Spartan players.
That's a possibility, the trailer kinda alludes to it being a possibility.

As long as they make the "intire" game fun and have forge, firefight, custom games, campaign, etc... then a gamemode like that could work, and they can even stick all the monetization stuff to it keeping it out of the armor customization and such.
I hope to see a open world Halo one day, mostly just for the lore. For Halo 5 we were promised a big open world experience, but we didn't exactly get that, so it would still be a welcomed concept. I always thought it would be cool to see a open world story post Halo 5, where the UNSC is rounding up survivors from ships and planets effected by the Guardian's EMP pulses. The idea is inspired from the Halo: Tales From Slipspace story where a UNSC ship was disabled from the Guardians and the crew slowly dies as a result. I think it would setup a good but small story and show just how much damage Cortana and the Created have caused, and how much of a threat the Guardians may actually be.

As long as it is able to remain a FPS game of course, this is only a idea.

I completely disagree with this.
A free roam game with a huge map would work well with Halo in my opinion. You could find armor upgrades, and they could change the mechanics to allow for more than 2 guns for use as you find them. It could almost have a very Metroid Prime-y feel.
And for multiplayer just use old classic halo gameplay on maps based on different parts of the main map. This could be the rebirth the series desperately needs.
I hope to see a open world Halo one day, mostly just for the lore. For Halo 5 we were promised a big open world experience, but we didn't exactly get that, so it would still be a welcomed concept. I always thought it would be cool to see a open world story post Halo 5, where the UNSC is rounding up survivors from ships and planets effected by the Guardian's EMP pulses. The idea is inspired from the Halo: Tales From Slipspace story where a UNSC ship was disabled from the Guardians and the crew slowly dies as a result. I think it would setup a good but small story and show just how much damage Cortana and the Created have caused, and how much of a threat the Guardians may actually be.

As long as it is able to remain a FPS game of course, this is only a idea.
I could definitely see an open world Halo game where we play as an Elite, perhaps to see the Covenant's side of the war?

A free roam game with a huge map would work well with Halo in my opinion. You could find armor upgrades, and they could change the mechanics to allow for more than 2 guns for use as you find them. It could almost have a very Metroid Prime-y feel.
And for multiplayer just use old classic halo gameplay on maps based on different parts of the main map. This could be the rebirth the series desperately needs.
That's exactly what an RPG is. Gaining armor upgrades or practically a skill tree. It's like CoD Advance Warfare's exp upgrades through the campaign. Pointless, not a good idea, and completely forgotten.

They say adding thrusters in Halo was a game changer but here you are wanting a Halo to turn into an RPG with a skill tree.
I think an open world Halo has great potential personally. But I don't want them attempting it unless they do it right.

Actually, now that I think about it, Halo 5 might have been conditioning us for this sort of campaign experience. Those odd 'missions' in Halo 5 that acted more as a hub world were so out of place in a traditional Halo campaign but would make perfect sense in an open world game.
I fail to see how a Halo Campaign with open-world elements is a 'terrible' thing.

I also hope anyone who says this has played Halo 3: ODST before passing judgement. It had traditional Campaign missions AND and a completely open-world main level to explore, and I don't recall either side being neglected all that much. If they were, it would have been because the game wasn't shooting for a very long story to begin with. Infinite could work much the same, and on a much larger scale at that, so I don't see the problem.

That's exactly what an RPG is. Gaining armor upgrades or practically a skill tree. It's like CoD Advance Warfare's exp upgrades through the campaign. Pointless, not a good idea, and completely forgotten.

They say adding thrusters in Halo was a game changer but here you are wanting a Halo to turn into an RPG with a skill tree.
What I'm describing would be much more of an action-adventure FPS hybrid than an RPG. I think it would be interesting to try out.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6