OP SectionUnity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
I don't know. Its hard to tell just from a teaser trailer.
I guess it's only a tech demo for the graphics engine. And to be honest, I don't see why this would automatically mean open world game play. Think of it this way: if you were to make Halo CE now, with this generation's engines and possibilities you would end up having... Well, basically what we saw yesterday.
I wouldn't want an open world for the mainline Halo games but I would absolutely love a spin off open world Halo, if done right obviously. Mainline games need to be story driven linear games. Big combat spaces is fine but you need to always be going in one direction, no free roaming and side missions and what not.
I think they're just going for less linear levels. I mean they might not even have any levels actually made yet and we're just showcasing what they're capable off.
Probably just bigger and more open in general. Like what halo 1 was like.
PolyGoner wrote:
I fail to see how a Halo Campaign with open-world elements is a 'terrible' thing.

I also hope anyone who says this has played Halo 3: ODST before passing judgement. It had traditional Campaign missions AND and a completely open-world main level to explore, and I don't recall either side being neglected all that much. If they were, it would have been because the game wasn't shooting for a very long story to begin with. Infinite could work much the same, and on a much larger scale at that, so I don't see the problem.
Odst was a game with an open world as a rookie. Getting to a certain place for the next mission. Matter of fact, it wasn't technically a free roam. Just a big map that each mission connected you to another map. If not the campaign, there were collectables. Nothing other than that, no one paid attention to Odst's open world.
Open world Halo game gives us a beautiful path to free roam and relax especially if the landscape is beautiful. However, with an open world to just roam leads nothing exciting.. like No Man's Sky. The only thing that would be good for Halo 6 would be the missions. And you know what missions lead to? RPG game.

RPG games have beautiful open world maps to go through and roam. What tops that is the missions, the quest, something to go through besides riding around in a car or killing something. Not just that, you also have a loot system, customization, and sometimes choice making. And that isn't what Halo is. Even if all that was taken out, a free roam game alone isn't that complex/unique.
I completely disagree with this.
A free roam game with a huge map would work well with Halo in my opinion. You could find armor upgrades, and they could change the mechanics to allow for more than 2 guns for use as you find them. It could almost have a very Metroid Prime-y feel.
And for multiplayer just use old classic halo gameplay on maps based on different parts of the main map. This could be the rebirth the series desperately needs.
That's exactly what an RPG is. Gaining armor upgrades or practically a skill tree. It's like CoD Advance Warfare's exp upgrades through the campaign. Pointless, not a good idea, and completely forgotten.

They say adding thrusters in Halo was a game changer but here you are wanting a Halo to turn into an RPG with a skill tree.
What I'm describing would be much more of an action-adventure FPS hybrid than an RPG. I think it would be interesting to try out.
As much as I like new things, Halo isn't at a state right now to try new things. If adding thrusters we're too much for the community, imagine a hybrid game like you're talking about. Sticking closer to the ground is for Halo is the best idea than trying new things.
Whilst I do not think the game will be inherently "Open-World" I do believe the maps will be larger in scope and will allow for more exploration or even ways to approach a situation. Not saying this is gonna be the "Far Cry of Halo" or anything, just look at the Halo CE mission "Halo" and how big the map was and it allowed for a linear exploration. I think it will be like that but maybe allow more nonlinear exploration whilst still keeping the Halo feel. I don't think it will be open world with a huge map or anything, but I believe the game will have larger maps in general for campaign and multiplayer whilst providing us with the smaller more linear maps as well. Like Halo 3, but in the modern day. Overall I am very excited and cannot wait for this game!
Quote:
"Tell that to the Covenant"
We'll just have to wait and see. I believe if they do it correctly it will be awesome
Respectfully, I disagree

1) The trailer was only an engine demo featuring the "new" art style, it didn't suggest anything about the actual design regarding gameplay, which includes level design.

2) Halo CE experimented with more nonlinear levels, like halo, and ODST had the Mombasa streets, so Halo hasn't exactly been afraid to implement open world mechanics or influences before.

3) There's way more than one way to skin a cat, plus, open world doesn't inherently mean that the game will be an rpg or rpg-esque, would you consider GTA to be rpg-like? I wouldn't necessarily nock something until I try it, generally speaking.

4) Just because an idea isn't completley novel doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad one. For example, Halo wasn't the first fps game on a console, but it was one of the first to make one that wasn't cumbersome to play, and had decent graphics/performance. Essentially, Halo took an already existing idea, and did it better. Now if halo had flat out copied them, or added in features for no other reason than "this looks cool" (sprint, thrusters , loadouts) like 4/5, that would be different.
Respectfully, I disagree

1) The trailer was only an engine demo featuring the "new" art style, it didn't suggest anything about the actual design regarding gameplay, which includes level design.

2) Halo CE experimented with more nonlinear levels, like halo, and ODST had the Mombasa streets, so Halo hasn't exactly been afraid to implement open world mechanics or influences before.

3) There's way more than one way to skin a cat, plus, open world doesn't inherently mean that the game will be an rpg or rpg-esque, would you consider GTA to be rpg-like? I wouldn't necessarily nock something until I try it, generally speaking.

4) Just because an idea isn't completley novel doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad one. For example, Halo wasn't the first fps game on a console, but it was one of the first to make one that wasn't cumbersome to play, and had decent graphics/performance. Essentially, Halo took an already existing idea, and did it better. Now if halo had flat out copied them, or added in features for no other reason than "this looks cool" (sprint, thrusters , loadouts) like 4/5, that would be different.
I never assumed it was going to be an open world in the first place. I was only replying back to those that believe it's going to be an open world and believing it's a good idea.

Halo had non-linear levels but never open world. I loved exploring the snowing depths in CE but never we're there anything else to do unless find terminals. As for ODST, be honest enough that you'd only ever roamed around just to find more secrets, collectables and side stories. Beyond that, nothing else can interest you once they are completed.

I spoken about something similar to GTA on my post but I didn't direct it. Refer to what I said "Ride around a car and killing something". As GTA also had upgrading your life, hitting the night club, or just being a plain criminal. So if not RPG but turning it into GTA, I doubt 343i wants to turn Master Chief into something like Michael.

FPS games and RPG games are two different types of games. Because another game does it FPS first and Halo does it next, it's not copying. Just as someone does thrusters and jetpacks first, its not copying especially like you said... Halo did it better. But i'm not talking about copying. I'm talking about changing the game. Turning an FPS game into an RPG. If not RPG then a GTA. Neither a good idea. They should just stick to the old Halo formula or I'll be happy with Halo 5's formula (Scratching ot the pay to win).
I think an open world Halo game would actually work! All you to have to do is assign missions, and you go to tackle the mission like you do in the past Halo games. It's just another Halo game with more freedom, and I hope to see that. I would love to explore the entire Halo ring, and it doesn't have to be an RPG. I think of it as classic Halo campaign with open world.
It’s not that I have anything against open world games or halo having an open world game I just don’t want it to be a main series entry. Open world games are just not for me so I’d really hope halo infinite isn’t.
This is exactly what I'm thinking honestly.
Halo CE was very much a free roaming game. You could explore and take your time. The newer games restricted and forced you to follow the objective(s).
Open world Halo game gives us a beautiful path to free roam and relax especially if the landscape is beautiful. However, with an open world to just roam leads nothing exciting.. like No Man's Sky. The only thing that would be good for Halo 6 would be the missions. And you know what missions lead to? RPG game.

RPG games have beautiful open world maps to go through and roam. What tops that is the missions, the quest, something to go through besides riding around in a car or killing something. Not just that, you also have a loot system, customization, and sometimes choice making. And that isn't what Halo is. Even if all that was taken out, a free roam game alone isn't that complex/unique.
A free roam game with a huge map would work well with Halo in my opinion. You could find armor upgrades, and they could change the mechanics to allow for more than 2 guns for use as you find them. It could almost have a very Metroid Prime-y feel.
And for multiplayer just use old classic halo gameplay on maps based on different parts of the main map. This could be the rebirth the series desperately needs.
That's exactly what an RPG is. Gaining armor upgrades or practically a skill tree. It's like CoD Advance Warfare's exp upgrades through the campaign. Pointless, not a good idea, and completely forgotten.

They say adding thrusters in Halo was a game changer but here you are wanting a Halo to turn into an RPG with a skill tree.
What I'm describing would be much more of an action-adventure FPS hybrid than an RPG. I think it would be interesting to try out.
As much as I like new things, Halo isn't at a state right now to try new things. If adding thrusters we're too much for the community, imagine a hybrid game like you're talking about. Sticking closer to the ground is for Halo is the best idea than trying new things.
If this community had its way, every game that comes out would be a Halo 3 clone. Halo is never in a state to try new things if the community is the stick by which we measure things; I've been around since 2007 as an active online community member, and this community has hated everything that's come out of this franchise since that time. Fact of the matter is, the old way of doing story modes just doesn't fly with most gamers these days; segmented levels taking players down a linear path is boring. The only truly successful single player experience to pull that off recently was DOOM 2016, and that was both deliberately nostalgic, competent enough to do it well, and still provided enough exploration opportunities and incentives to keep the game from feeling like a hallway. DOOM also radically redefined many of its mechanics from its classic forebears, but it was still received with acclaim from fans, new and old.

If you ask most gamers outside of the active Halo community's echo chamber, the franchise's waning isn't due to Halo changing too much, it's due to Halo not changing at all. Most gamers see Halo as a washed up legacy franchise, symbolic of the mid to late 2000s era of gaming, and still desperately trying to cling to that identity while everyone else moves on--and the Halo community is seen as belligerently symptomatic of that mind set. Put quite plainly, most gamers only see marginal differences between the state of Call of Duty and the state of Halo, as both are the grandpas of console FPS, waging a feud no one else cares about anymore, with neither willing to break out of their respective comfort zones.

Halo needs something new. The campaign of Halo 5's lukewarm reception is evidence of that. Halo's lore is too rich and too detailed to explore in a linear cutscene oriented sort of campaign. Halo 4 and 5 both suffered from a lack of clarity from those who haven't read the extended fiction, and as a lover of that universe, the idea of an open world Halo game blows my mind. It opens up all new opportunities for interactive storytelling not possible in past games, which I think the trailer hinted at. The cave carvings suggest some kind of discovery mechanic, ala God of War, which could fill out an in-game codex stored by whatever new AI Chief has. The isolated Marines and the ruins of human outposts suggest some kind of territory control mechanic, perhaps involving rounding up survivors and establishing bases of operations while exploring the hostile environment of Zeta Halo. Resource gathering? Sure, to bolster your defenses and gain access to new, more powerful weapons. We can't have all those Warzone variants just go to waste, can we? Warzone weapon variation alone would be enough to justify some kind of weapon crafting mechanic, not accounting for whatever else they're cooking up for the sequel. Dialogue options? Halo 5 already hinted at friendly NPCs so I could imagine some things they can do with that, especially if other alien races are involved.

There are a million things you can do with open world and none of them necessitate skill trees or anything that changes how the Chief plays on a fundamental level--even if DOOM proved you can do that in a legacy FPS and still make it work. I don't know how I'd feel about skill trees in a mainline Halo game, but I do know the idea of exploring Zeta Halo is too enticing an opportunity to dismiss simply because this community has hang ups with absolutely any kind of change.
ROBERTO jh wrote:

If this community had its way, every game that comes out would be a Halo 3 clone. Halo is never in a state to try new things if the community is the stick by which we measure things; I've been around since 2007 as an active online community member, and this community has hated everything that's come out of this franchise since that time. Fact of the matter is, the old way of doing story modes just doesn't fly with most gamers these days; segmented levels taking players down a linear path is boring. The only truly successful single player experience to pull that off recently was DOOM 2016, and that was both deliberately nostalgic, competent enough to do it well, and still provided enough exploration opportunities and incentives to keep the game from feeling like a hallway. DOOM also radically redefined many of its mechanics from its classic forebears, but it was still received with acclaim from fans, new and old.

If you ask most gamers outside of the active Halo community's echo chamber, the franchise's waning isn't due to Halo changing too much, it's due to Halo not changing at all. Most gamers see Halo as a washed up legacy franchise, symbolic of the mid to late 2000s era of gaming, and still desperately trying to cling to that identity while everyone else moves on--and the Halo community is seen as belligerently symptomatic of that mind set. Put quite plainly, most gamers only see marginal differences between the state of Call of Duty and the state of Halo, as both are the grandpas of console FPS, waging a feud no one else cares about anymore, with neither willing to break out of their respective comfort zones.

Halo needs something new. The campaign of Halo 5's lukewarm reception is evidence of that. Halo's lore is too rich and too detailed to explore in a linear cutscene oriented sort of campaign. Halo 4 and 5 both suffered from a lack of clarity from those who haven't read the extended fiction, and as a lover of that universe, the idea of an open world Halo game blows my mind. It opens up all new opportunities for interactive storytelling not possible in past games, which I think the trailer hinted at. The cave carvings suggest some kind of discovery mechanic, ala God of War, which could fill out an in-game codex stored by whatever new AI Chief has. The isolated Marines and the ruins of human outposts suggest some kind of territory control mechanic, perhaps involving rounding up survivors and establishing bases of operations while exploring the hostile environment of Zeta Halo. Resource gathering? Sure, to bolster your defenses and gain access to new, more powerful weapons. We can't have all those Warzone variants just go to waste, can we? Warzone weapon variation alone would be enough to justify some kind of weapon crafting mechanic, not accounting for whatever else they're cooking up for the sequel. Dialogue options? Halo 5 already hinted at friendly NPCs so I could imagine some things they can do with that, especially if other alien races are involved.

There are a million things you can do with open world and none of them necessitate skill trees or anything that changes how the Chief plays on a fundamental level--even if DOOM proved you can do that in a legacy FPS and still make it work. I don't know how I'd feel about skill trees in a mainline Halo game, but I do know the idea of exploring Zeta Halo is too enticing an opportunity to dismiss simply because this community has hang ups with absolutely any kind of change.
I could not agree more about an open world Halo. I would enjoy exploring every corner / edge lol, of Zeta Halo. I want an open world Halo. I'm remaining mildly optimistic. All we saw was a game engine demo, it stated that at the bottom when the reveal started.

I have no doubt 343i wanted us to see certain things. The detail on the Rhino thingy nose, the water with a hint of underwater exploration , the dust cloud, the grass, reflections in 117s visor. I've watched that video a lot, and there is a ton of info that can be interpretted in many ways.

I'm hopeful, but I'm being cautious.
eviltedi wrote:
ROBERTO jh wrote:

I could not agree more about an open world Halo. I would enjoy exploring every corner / edge lol, of Zeta Halo. I want an open world Halo. I'm remaining mildly optimistic. All we saw was a game engine demo, it stated that at the bottom when the reveal started.

I have no doubt 343i wanted us to see certain things. The detail on the Rhino thingy nose, the water with a hint of underwater exploration , the dust cloud, the grass, reflections in 117s visor. I've watched that video a lot, and there is a ton of info that can be interpretted in many ways.

I'm hopeful, but I'm being cautious.
Open world doesn't mean it make it an RPG. As there are either things you can do in an open world. That's what I got from what most of what I remember in your text. But... Do you remember No Man's Sky? That's a game that you are explaining to me.. and that game didn't turn out well.

Well it’s 33/33/33.
1/3 of it is mission
1/3 is character interaction with the environment and other players/characters
1/3 is pvp.
As for giving me hints on what the game is from the trailer, I really think we are just over thinking it. Like the idea of water exploring... i think there really isn't anything shown much in the trailer.

Well it’s 33/33/33.
1/3 of it is mission
1/3 is character interaction with the environment and other players/characters
1/3 is pvp.
In other words, it's GTA.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6