Do you have faith in 343 to provide a Halo "rebirth" and potentially take the franchise to an open world setting?

Personally, I'm torn.

I think 343 has a tremendous opportunity in July. If 343 doesn't continue to make unforced errors, Infinite could return Halo to good times. I strongly doubt that it will ever achieve the acclaim that the Bungie series did (look at Google trends for Halo over the years) - but surely they can do anything better for the campaign than they did for Halo 5. That was painful.

My hope? Halo Infinite goes deeper into being an ODST style linear at leisure progression campaign. ODST was very brave and I think might be one of Bungie's more impressive feats to pull off. I would love if 343 took Infinite in that direction where it would truly have Infinite possibilities. If 343 continues going the game as a service route, it must innovate and do something truly new.
Love ODST. My only complaint was that while in the hub, encounters of any sort other than leading up to the first mission didn't take place while in buildings. The enemy AI I'm guessing just didn't allow for it but certainly this was a disappointing aspect

If Halo Infinite is going the open world along these lines or perhaps Gears 5 then there needs to be stuff actually occurring while in the hub outside of Main missions and side quests. Proper dynamic encounter generation unlike Gears 5 which dropped the ball in this regard. The potential is very good for this approach considering Halo has such a large sandbox of goodies to use. Halo 3 had great use of it's vehicles in the larger spaces and we've not seen this type of thing for a while. The potential is there to really do something bloody marvellous but we shall see

I do sincerely hope 343 look towards the first game in a lot of ways too while incorporating any of the refinements over the years. For me none of the sequels despite all being excellent games in many ways feel quite as great as the first, purely in how fun the gunplay feels

343 also needs playtest more at Legendary. Halo5 is frustrating for the wrong reasons like Halo2
50/50. 343 has a mediocre track record now with H4, H5, and MCC. I believe they have the ability to make a great Halo, but the execution is the issue.
Like your notion of linear-at-leisure campaign. And the beacons that are prominent in the Slipspace demo and on the key art do lend themselves to those expectations.
I loved ODST's style of narrative. However, I would prefer a more overarching story with flashbacks or changes of characters being option side stuff.
I think they'll pull it off, although the multiplayer is anyones guess.
I would love to see a Halo game with more of an open world feeling with opportunities to play the game in many different ways. A too linear campaign do usually encounter the problem that you are too restricted to a single strategy or to follow a single path and that do usually not add that much replay value in the long term.
I've been dubious about the idea of an "open world" type of design since I first heard rumors about it, but having it in a similar style to that of ODST like others on this thread are saying could work I suppose. However, I simply won't be satisfied until we can see some gameplay and get a demonstration of their idea for it in action. I know 343i has plenty of talented developers with great ideas, and I know they can make an awesome experience for us. It's just nerve-wracking because there are so many variables that go into making that great game and they still haven't been able to line it all up quite right yet with H4 and H5. So, in that regard, I don't know for sure that pushing that style of campaign that's only been done once before in the series is the right way to go for them.
I loved ODST. Just a little more to do in the rookie missions would have been nice, but it was fun either way.

As for Halo Infinite, I see it taking more of a large Halo CE style of layout (Not open world, but still fairly big and open to explore). ODST had the linear missions from the other soldiers. If the entire game was only the rookie, I don't think it would have been enjoyable. If Infinite does a mix of some large, and some small area missions, I think that it would work well...
I'll take a minority position here. I really hope they don't go open world or even hybrid open world (Gears 5 being an example of the latter). If they do that, I guarantee the core plot/main missions will suffer. I am all for more open environments (think Halo CE's "Halo" and "Assault on the Control Room"). Throw in the usual Halo extras like skulls and other miscellaneous easter eggs (and terminals, if you must), but that's it.

The most important thing to me is getting a solid campaign with a nice and tight story enhanced by the usual components of thoughtful production (musical score, variety in scenery, etc.). The first few games have very memorable campaigns because they did a few simple things very well. They had good variety and contrast from level to level (a natural looking environment with a lot of greenery, a sprawling snow level, creepy cavernous environments that feel like hopeless mazes, etc). They had good original scores that actually complemented what was going on. Encountering the Flood for the first time on "343 Guilty Spark" and the final warthog sprint on "The Maw" are unforgettable gaming moments for me (and nearly 20 years old!) - the accompanying music is a big part of why they're so memorable.

I don't need a bunch of extra side quests that bog down the main plot. I definitely don't need side quests that improve go-forward playing performance in campaign (I am calling out Gears 5 here and all the optional Jack upgrades). That's not Halo for me. Just give me a damn good "meat and potatoes" Halo campaign. That also means playing as Master Chief on the majority of levels, at minimum!
I agree 100% with you
GP Carry wrote:
I'll take a minority position here. I really hope they don't go open world or even hybrid open world (Gears 5 being an example of the latter). If they do that, I guarantee the core plot/main missions will suffer. I am all for more open environments (think Halo CE's "Halo" and "Assault on the Control Room"). Throw in the usual Halo extras like skulls and other miscellaneous easter eggs (and terminals, if you must), but that's it.

The most important thing to me is getting a solid campaign with a nice and tight story enhanced by the usual components of thoughtful production (musical score, variety in scenery, etc.). The first few games have very memorable campaigns because they did a few simple things very well. They had good variety and contrast from level to level (a natural looking environment with a lot of greenery, a sprawling snow level, creepy cavernous environments that feel like hopeless mazes, etc). They had good original scores that actually complemented what was going on. Encountering the Flood for the first time on "343 Guilty Spark" and the final warthog sprint on "The Maw" are unforgettable gaming moments for me (and nearly 20 years old!) - the accompanying music is a big part of why they're so memorable.

I don't need a bunch of extra side quests that bog down the main plot. I definitely don't need side quests that improve go-forward playing performance in campaign (I am calling out Gears 5 here and all the optional Jack upgrades). That's not Halo for me. Just give me a damn good "meat and potatoes" Halo campaign. That also means playing as Master Chief on the majority of levels, at minimum!
I agree 100% with you
I think an open world Halo would be fine for a spin off game, but for a main series title I would prefer to stay away from it. Gears 5 tried some open world sections and it completely killed the flow of the game
GP Carry wrote:

I do agree. I guess the issue being even Bungie couldn't faithfully recreate that same magic formula from the first game and so as of now I just want lots of stuff to do meaning hopefully standard campaign missions plus a truly dynamic hub where things take place. I'd take a spiritual successor to HALO CE any day but it hasn't happened yet in all these years and so just give me Chief and loads to do. It has to be better than Halo5 campaign of course but we'll see just how good come launch.

One thing is surely for certain, they'll be desperately trying not to drop the ball again and that can mean great things potentially providing they don't shove agenda and politics in of course which is a very likely thing unfortunately
Open world on a Halo? Hell yeah

It has the potential to give Halo a new well deserved fresh awesomness if done right

Halo has the story, worlds and sandbox for an amazing open world experience. Just need some linear missions like ODST to keep the traditional campaign in it.

They can bring life into the world with beautiful living environments with ambient life.
You can explore Forerunner and ancient human structures. Massive battles. Raids on bases. The posibilities are endless
No open world I'd be ok with a point A to point B shooter with SEMI open world levels
I have always wanted to see a Halo open world video game especially if it's part of the Halo spin off video games.