1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7
Maps look gigantic again as they are built around sprint and clamber, quell surprise.

Size aside I can't say I have much issue with the map aesthetics, armor sets look good, I have no idea why they are sticking with the hideous Halo 4/5 sniper rifle of all things.

Abilities as map pickups is always how the "fourth leg of fun" should have been done, so that's nice, but I am unsure about how camo is going to play into all this as I don't really care for the idea of player toggled camo in multiplayer.

The one thing that really leaves me more hopeful than anything else are the BR's held by both players, BR starts will be a necessity if the Sidekick is supposed to be a "true sidearm" in gameplay terms.

If the game isn't releasing until next fall at the earliest, there better not be any significant gaps in gametypes or features(like forge), it was already well past the point in development where a repeat of Halo 5's anemic launch would have been acceptable(not that it was acceptable when Halo 5 launched either).
no confirmation on ads is weird because it doesn't feel right playing a shooter with sprint, slide and vault but no ads

halo multiplayer does seem to be coming along nicely but 343 will need to put in double-time to pull me from csgo though

and slayer should let us decide to spawn with either the ar, br or commando like how quake champions let players spawn with either a machine gun, nail gun or shotty
Darwi wrote:
Love the little peek these images give... and can't wait until we see some concrete multiplayer details.

Some form of enhanced ability is exciting.

Sprint and (leading into) slide at least.

Thrusters are still not confirmed? Hopefully we can at least use them laterally to mix up strafing (or to duck back into cover). I appreciate that jump and (forward) thrust makes it difficult to control map movement.

Happy to never see Spartan Charge again.

The whole problem with sprint has always been the speed it gives you. That's why maps needed to be made bigger, to accommodate for the extra speed.
Which is not a problem if the maps are designed around the speed you are moving.

It only becomes a problem if you try and play on a classic map and expect it to play the same as it did a decade ago.
time to let go of that thruster crutch. there should be no mechanic that helps you flee a battle. strafing is all we need.
however, with how slide works now, you will be able to "thrust" into cover if not taking damage.
time to let go of that thruster crutch. there should be no mechanic that helps you flee a battle. strafing is all we need.
however, with how slide works now, you will be able to "thrust" into cover if not taking damage.
The only time thrusters let you flee is if you are standing directly beside cover. So it's not so much an escape option... but the ability to step out and take a look.

In the heat of battle it's just an extension of strafe. It mixes things up a bit and sometimes helps you turn the tide.

Apart from that they are a God send in dodging a grenade... or a Spartan charge (but hopefully that wont be an issue going forward).

I wouldn't be adverse to toning them down a bit. Maybe a longer recharge time?

But I will miss them.
I have quite a lot of concerns still, most of which have been mentioned: sprint, clamber, guns hovering in pick up points, bland interior design and colour.

But on a fun note:

Did anyone else notice that the warthog in the back of the model shots seems to have the classic gun turret? I lIke that.
WerepyreND wrote:
Maps look gigantic again as they are built around sprint and clamber, quell surprise.

Size aside I can't say I have much issue with the map aesthetics, armor sets look good, I have no idea why they are sticking with the hideous Halo 4/5 sniper rifle of all things.

Abilities as map pickups is always how the "fourth leg of fun" should have been done, so that's nice, but I am unsure about how camo is going to play into all this as I don't really care for the idea of player toggled camo in multiplayer.

The one thing that really leaves me more hopeful than anything else are the BR's held by both players, BR starts will be a necessity if the Sidekick is supposed to be a "true sidearm" in gameplay terms.

If the game isn't releasing until next fall at the earliest, there better not be any significant gaps in gametypes or features(like forge), it was already well past the point in development where a repeat of Halo 5's anemic launch would have been acceptable(not that it was acceptable when Halo 5 launched either).
Yes, the map size looks similar to Halo 5's. I wonder how they will work on tricky combo jumps and platforming for map traversal. The visuals are ok, I'm glad they're keeping the Halo 4 sniper model tho and not ditching the 343 design entirely. The pre-Reach sniper models look too outdated imo. Now I'm curious how the pickups are going to work, because we don't know if every Spartan spawns with an equipment or you have to pick them up on the map. This would lead to maybe more points of interest for map control. We'll see.
It definitly looks better than the plastic smeared look everything was in Halo 5. Hopefully the map design will accomodate classic-style gameplay first.
it won't, they even choose a screenshot of a spartan sprinting to represent the game... there is just no reason to believe they care about classic gameply....
Sprinting doesn't inherently mean not classic-style gameplay. That -Yoink- was really toned down in the demo, and it seems ground-pound, universal aim down sights, that hovering -Yoink-, thrustpacks, and your momentum flinging you across the map are completely gone. Fine, whatever, it was a long shot, but I'll take a toned down sprint, clamber (that can add to classic-style gameplay in regards to skill jumps, not inherently take away from it, but this depends on good map design) and slide. To say they don't care about classic gameplay at all is just ignorant and says you haven't really been paying attention to the message 343 is trying to send.
Sending a message means nothing if you don‘t follow ist up with some action. And I don‘t know what makes you think sprint or clamber can be part of a classic gameplay experience but hover, tackle or thrust cannot...neither belongs in a Halo game. I‘d even say that stuff like ground pound or hover, while being a stupid mechanic, were far less intrucive then sprint or clamber...
Did you SEE how neutered the sprint was in the demo? Chief was barely moving faster than the default speed. I think sprint is there just so they can use the slide maneuver, other than that it doesn't seem to be very prominent.
Speed doesn't matter, as long as the mechanic is in the game it will cause issues.
It was never a problem of how fast it is, but always the mechanic itself.
The whole problem with sprint has always been the speed it gives you. That's why maps needed to be made bigger, to accommodate for the extra speed. If the speed increase, the whole reason for sprint, is as negligible as it was in the demo, why would it be a problem?
Because the mechanic forces the player to put all weapons down and face one direction only, contradicting Halo's formula at it's core, speed is completely irrelevant to it's detriments. Maps are enlarged due to the speed factor, but that is only one symptom of the sprint disease.
Honestly I thought it looked like some sort of Halo: Reach: Anniversary. Despite chief's armor looking very 2-3 now, the MP spartan armor looks more like Reach/CE's armor. Which, given that I prefer that armor look, makes me extremely happy. Game looks good, I want to see it in action though.

Now if only this armor coating nonsense didnt exist.
no confirmation on ads is weird because it doesn't feel right playing a shooter with sprint, slide and vault but no ads

halo multiplayer does seem to be coming along nicely but 343 will need to put in double-time to pull me from csgo though

and slayer should let us decide to spawn with either the ar, br or commando like how quake champions let players spawn with either a machine gun, nail gun or shotty
you know H4 tried loadouts right? and H5 had ADS? and nobody liked them ( or a large majority )
Halo MP is different and should remain different, if you don't want to come over because of CSGO fine, but you probably shouldn't advocate for failed mechanics
It definitly looks better than the plastic smeared look everything was in Halo 5. Hopefully the map design will accomodate classic-style gameplay first.
it won't, they even choose a screenshot of a spartan sprinting to represent the game... there is just no reason to believe they care about classic gameply....
Sprinting doesn't inherently mean not classic-style gameplay. That -Yoink- was really toned down in the demo, and it seems ground-pound, universal aim down sights, that hovering -Yoink-, thrustpacks, and your momentum flinging you across the map are completely gone. Fine, whatever, it was a long shot, but I'll take a toned down sprint, clamber (that can add to classic-style gameplay in regards to skill jumps, not inherently take away from it, but this depends on good map design) and slide. To say they don't care about classic gameplay at all is just ignorant and says you haven't really been paying attention to the message 343 is trying to send.
Sending a message means nothing if you don‘t follow ist up with some action. And I don‘t know what makes you think sprint or clamber can be part of a classic gameplay experience but hover, tackle or thrust cannot...neither belongs in a Halo game. I‘d even say that stuff like ground pound or hover, while being a stupid mechanic, were far less intrucive then sprint or clamber...
if being able to move a bit faster ruins the game for you dont play it we'll love the game for what it is and you can play something else I hear fortnite just dropped a master cheif skin go play that
The maps look pretty large vertically but still feasible to clamber in some spots, if you look closely you can notice that the grapple shot pickup is located in the first picture in the middle corner.
On speculation it looks like the map has some dynamic elements, the generator seems to move the pillars above it similar to torque in Halo 5, I'm hoping that they get more creative with the Spartan adapting to the environment or the other way around.

Aesthetically it looks pleasing but I was hoping we would get more outdoor or open area reveal.
The armor coatings revealed seemed to be a social hub or an area to customize which is nice, a much better improvement compared to H5 and H4 in my opinion.
I'm just glad flighting is back on the table. I don't really have much to say about the multiplayer- we didn't really see much. I'm waiting to either play it or get more in detailed information about it before forming any big opinions.

With what we saw I do have some things to say. The design of the spartan armors is much better. I hope all of the armors in the game look this good. In some situations, the armor design is clearly inspired by Halo Reach. The art design of the map shown screams Halo 5 to me. It makes me think of Riptide and Fathom. I just hope that since sprint is in multiplayer they take the time to make it work on the maps. In Halo 5, some maps felt too small. I also hope they leave behind all of the ridiculous spartan abilities from Halo 5.

I still want to know more about multiplayer, including how the grappel hook works in MP. Hopefully we can get more frequent Halo Infinite updates in the months leading up to its release. I also hope they do flighting at a decent time to allow addressing of feedback from the flight.
Darwi wrote:
The only time thrusters let you flee is if you are standing directly beside cover. So it's not so much an escape option... but the ability to step out and take a look.

In the heat of battle it's just an extension of strafe. It mixes things up a bit and sometimes helps you turn the tide.

Apart from that they are a God send in dodging a grenade... or a Spartan charge (but hopefully that wont be an issue going forward).

But I will miss them.
i wish it was that simple. its too unpredictable and changes the classic formula so much its unrecognizable. It has overpowered jumping now that you jump and change direction quickly. Every wrong move used to matter in halo, but now you get lots of ways to carry on living. Thrusting backwards or round corners saves you in moments you should have died in classic halo. we need to understand how important ttk is to classic halo and what made it fun.
Darwi wrote:

But I will miss them.
i wish it was that simple. its too unpredictable and changes the classic formula so much its unrecognizable. It has overpowered jumping now that you jump and change direction quickly. Every wrong move used to matter in halo, but now you get lots of ways to carry on living. Thrusting backwards or round corners saves you in moments you should have died in classic halo. we need to understand how important ttk is to classic halo and what made it fun.
That's what I like about it. Halo needs a bit on unpredictable.

Otherwise it's pretty much who shoots first (it was Han!) wins.

You only get one thrust and if you still have it up your sleeve you have a chance to even the battle. It's not going to rescue you from 2 shots down though. And your opponent may still have their thrust up their sleeve.

Against the better players it's not going to automatically save you though. They are very good at adjusting their aim, and moving their cross hairs to where you are going to be. That's where thrusting on an angle starts becomes an advantage (not that I am anywhere good enough to do that in the heat of the moment).

So I think it has value. It allows you to step out and have a look around knowing you can quickly thrust back under cover if the coast isn't clear. It gives you the briefest of moments to avoid a sniper shot (or shotgun blast). It allows you to quickly side step a 'nade blast. And it gives you a chance to fight back in an engagement where you didn't get the first shot.

There is a problem with forward jumping distance when you combine sprint with jump / thrust... so I wouldn't be against limiting it to lateral movement. Even limiting it a bit further in regards to distance you move and / or it's recharge speed. But overall I would keep it in.

And I would love the ability to use the thrusters to do a 180 degree spin. Imagine turning to face an opponent charging at you from behind... or running at full tilt, leaping into the air, and then Johnny Wooing a mid air spin to start shooting behind you.
Darwi wrote:
Darwi wrote:

But I will miss them.
That's what I like about it. Halo needs a bit on unpredictable.

Otherwise it's pretty much who shoots first (it was Han!) wins.

You only get one thrust and if you still have it up your sleeve you have a chance to even the battle. It's not going to rescue you from 2 shots down though. And your opponent may still have their thrust up their sleeve.

Against the better players it's not going to automatically save you though. They are very good at adjusting their aim, and moving their cross hairs to where you are going to be. That's where thrusting on an angle starts becomes an advantage (not that I am anywhere good enough to do that in the heat of the moment).

So I think it has value. It allows you to step out and have a look around knowing you can quickly thrust back under cover if the coast isn't clear. It gives you the briefest of moments to avoid a sniper shot (or shotgun blast). It allows you to quickly side step a 'nade blast. And it gives you a chance to fight back in an engagement where you didn't get the first shot.

There is a problem with forward jumping distance when you combine sprint with jump / thrust... so I wouldn't be against limiting it to lateral movement. Even limiting it a bit further in regards to distance you move and / or it's recharge speed. But overall I would keep it in.

And I would love the ability to use the thrusters to do a 180 degree spin. Imagine turning to face an opponent charging at you from behind... or running at full tilt, leaping into the air, and then Johnny Wooing a mid air spin to start shooting behind you.
you're right, halo does need a bit of unpredictability but thruster is too much and thats just when its used "IN" a battle offensively. When used defensively to get out of danger thats when it really breaks halo's fun factor. halo should destroy you for making a wrong move. adding thruster to halo is as detrimental as adding moving backwards to pawns in chess.

fights should almost always conclude and if you want to back out of a fight, then it should be very difficult to do so. Even worse, halo 5 not only lets you back out of a fight easily but it also lets you cowardly still deal damage as you retreat so your teammate can finish them off.
I just want Guardian, Blood Gulch, Sandtrap, Standoff, Lockout, The Pit, Highground, A btb map with styles like Highground or Sandbox
I like the environments shown quite alot. I hope we get more bright and vibrant envirnments in multiplayer like we did in Halo 4, especially with the forerunner themed maps.
Vinman720 wrote:
It looked good graphically, but design wise idk. It looked very halo 5-y with obvious clamber jumps and wide gaps. That really worries me considering I feel like that design philosophy was one of the things that dragged down all of h5 maps, having to spread everything out for armor abilities. I guess we'll see but definitely like the asymmetry and verticality. Also grappleshot and active camp powerups are cool to see.
by simply removing jump+thrust, maps will be easier to stick to the classic style of play. also remember, jump is not as high as halo 3 which means sprint jumps will be kinda(not exactly) similar to halo 3 jumping distance.
Yeah but the difference is that with sprint jumps your gun is not up in mid air, so its ultimately more limiting than in H3. I kind of hope that the jump distance is not very different when sprinting or not to ensure that the gameplay doesn't suffer like in h5. Maybe clamber will serve the role of allowing normal jumps to be viable and maybe with crouch jumps bypassing that altogether. I honestly hope clamber is super snappy in this game and allows you to shoot out of the animation really early to mitigate the slowing of the pace of play.
Vinman720 wrote:
Vinman720 wrote:
It looked good graphically, but design wise idk. It looked very halo 5-y with obvious clamber jumps and wide gaps. That really worries me considering I feel like that design philosophy was one of the things that dragged down all of h5 maps, having to spread everything out for armor abilities. I guess we'll see but definitely like the asymmetry and verticality. Also grappleshot and active camp powerups are cool to see.
by simply removing jump+thrust, maps will be easier to stick to the classic style of play. also remember, jump is not as high as halo 3 which means sprint jumps will be kinda(not exactly) similar to halo 3 jumping distance.
Yeah but the difference is that with sprint jumps your gun is not up in mid air, so its ultimately more limiting than in H3. I kind of hope that the jump distance is not very different when sprinting or not to ensure that the gameplay doesn't suffer like in h5. Maybe clamber will serve the role of allowing normal jumps to be viable and maybe with crouch jumps bypassing that altogether. I honestly hope clamber is super snappy in this game and allows you to shoot out of the animation really early to mitigate the slowing of the pace of play.
true but it has some benefits to it. sprint gives you increased jumping but there is a way for a enemy to limit that maneuverability by shooting you out of sprint which then keeps fights pretty fair and consistent as players will be forced to stay and fight instead of jumping away. i think being forced to turn and clamber is not necessarily a bad thing.

we should always be able to cancel an action like clamber to immediately shoot at all times though. if i press that trigger, my gun should always fire. i hate games that lock me behind an animation.
Tempest J2 wrote:
if being able to move a bit faster ruins the game for you dont play it we'll love the game for what it is and you can play something else I hear fortnite just dropped a master cheif skin go play that
But sprint doesn't do that? In order to put sprint into Halo they had to slow down your base speed.

Why would you tell him to go play fortnite? Sounds like you are the one in favor of gimmicky mechanics.

Like if you really think people dislike sprint because it makes the game faster then you clearly have not been paying attention.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7