Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Over or under 50%: Cortana defeated by the end?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm wondering what you all think, over or under 50%: Cortana is defeated by the end of Infinite.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Over 50% chance she'll be defeated or dead by the end of Infinite imo.

Given the almost entirely negative reception H5 got, I'm guessing 343 is gonna want to end the Created story arc as quickly as possible.

Given the almost entirely negative reception H5 got, I'm guessing 343 is gonna want to end the Created story arc as quickly as possible.
I think so as well. I suspect they’re gonna introduce a new threat by the end of the game.
100% she's defeated. Whether she's killed or turned back to the good side, don't know.
Personally I don’t even see them continuing that story arc at all. I suspect they’ll retcon the entire mess and start fresh.
Shadowrend wrote:
Personally I don’t even see them continuing that story arc at all. I suspect they’ll retcon the entire mess and start fresh.
Oh wow, so you think they're gonna sweep it under the rug right from the beginning?
Shadowrend wrote:
Oh wow, so you think they're gonna sweep it under the rug right from the beginning?
I certainly hope so. Halo 5 really messed with the story in many ways that I see as completely irreparable. Frankly I think bringing the Forerunners back was a mistake in general, but they definitely handled it rather poorly. Above all I think turning Cortana into the villain was the biggest narrative miss in the franchise. It’s just criminal to take a beloved character and butcher her like that.

So I hope they just pretend like it never even happened.
Shadowrend wrote:
Doing that would just cause more problems.
Shadowrend wrote:
So, jeopardize all of the developer's work on the 343i games?
Shadowrend wrote:
Doing that would just cause more problems.
Not really. Plenty of video game franchises have done full or soft reboots without any issues. The best solution would’ve been to not commit narrative crimes in the first place, but it’s too late for that.
Shadowrend wrote:
So, jeopardize all of the developer's work on the 343i games?
I’m not sure what you mean. The lousy story has jeopardized the series quite a bit in and of itself. Once iconic characters like Cortana have been all but ruined.
Shadowrend wrote:
I get why you like that option, but that's just not gonna work well for 343. There are more people out there than you'd expect who like the story. While I don't like the story for the most part, there were some cool aspects to it. Also, for us lore addicts, there's some fantastic extended universe lore that is directly or indirectly tied to the events of Halo 5, so all of that would go out the window too. That's not even mentioning Halo Wars 2 and it's end cut scene. It's just way too messy to just ignore it all and move on.

One positive I've seen is that Halo Infinite is supposed to take place a few years into the Created Uprising... so there certainly is the possibility of a soft reboot of the franchise (which they've stated they are trying to do) that carries forward some of the Halo 5 story that is needed to continue a coherent overall story while ditching some of the less popular stuff.

EDIT: I realize some of what I just said contradicts my earlier post saying that most people didn't like the story of Halo 5.. I think my point still stands though that retcon'ing the whole story would be very messy.
Yeah I agree honestly, I think a complete retcon wouldn't be great, a soft reboot (if done right) would be great though
Under 50% she may suffer a defeat but I doubt that she would be defeated. Especially considering the scale of her influence across the halo universe now.
Spoiler:
Show
Shadowrend wrote:
Shadowrend wrote:
I certainly hope so. Halo 5 really messed with the story in many ways that I see as completely irreparable. Frankly I think bringing the Forerunners back was a mistake in general, but they definitely handled it rather poorly. Above all I think turning Cortana into the villain was the biggest narrative miss in the franchise. It’s just criminal to take a beloved character and butcher her like that.

So I hope they just pretend like it never even happened.
I doubt they'll just sweep it away like nothing happened. What shes done is part of the lore, I do think however they'll speed up the process in Infinite and not prolong into another game. Only reason why I say that is just from the speculation were on Zeta Halo which holds a lot of secrets. But we'll see.

As far as OP, I honestly don't know. I'd say its a good 50/50
Honestly, really hoping they kill off Cortana. They should've left her dead in 4, there isn't a decent way to explain her coming back like she was in 1-3. Chief should get a replacement AI, but I would like to see a new character introduced and developed.
Whatever happens, hopefully it won't happen in the first level!! Looking at you Jul'Mdama!

My hopes aren't too high for the conclusion to this trilogy to be honest. It's hard enough to write a good story, let alone a good ending.
she's definitely dead by the end of infinite. I imagine she'll give her life to stop whatever cataclysm results from her actions thus far, entrusting chief to finish the fight in the future of the franchise with some emotional cutscene. just my two cents

Given the almost entirely negative reception H5 got, I'm guessing 343 is gonna want to end the Created story arc as quickly as possible. If we focus on the relationship between cortana and jhon, jhon will basically try to convince cortana to turn over
Imagine atriox and his brutes resides with cortana and elites of Let'volir with masterchief and arbiter...... Will be a real fight
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2