Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Pegi 12 games look more mature than Halo nowadays

OP Riahisama

Just look at the new Breath of the wild trailer, a cell-shaded game looks darker and more interesting than Halo infinite.
It's so sad to know we will never see a dark storyline or anything related to death or flood horrors... all because Microsoft is obsessed in making the game T for teens.
343 has no freedom whatsoever in making their games and it's easy to blame them when in reality it's Microsoft that single handedly held back Halo since firing Bungie.
The franchise has no freedom, it's being held back from its incredible potential.
Agreed.

I wish they would bring back Halo CE type levels of blood and ensure the return of the flood too.

But both of those things are unlikely to happen with a T for Teen rating. Guess I will just get Cyberpunk 2077 in November instead.
Agreed.

I wish they would bring back Halo CE type levels of blood and ensure the return of the flood too.

But both of those things are unlikely to happen with a T for Teen rating. Guess I will just get Cyberpunk 2077 in November instead.
I have yet to see the infinite multiplayer, but this franchise potential is held back tremendously
Video game age ratings are based on specific criteria such as depiction of violence and language (found here for PEGI). They loosely describe the content of the game, and their sole purpose is to inform parents and retailers of the game's content, and of the rating board's opinion of a suitable age for playing the game. Using them for any other purpose, such as trying to correlate them with one's own perception of the game's "darkness" would be foolish.
tsassi wrote:
Video game age ratings are based on specific criteria such as depiction of violence and language (found here for PEGI). They loosely describe the content of the game, and their sole purpose is to inform parents and retailers of the game's content, and of the rating board's opinion of a suitable age for playing the game. Using them for any other purpose, such as trying to correlate them with one's own perception of the game's "darkness" would be foolish.
Not many "dark" teen games out there.

So yes. There is a logical reasoning to correlate a games' rating with how "dark" the games' tone may potentially be.

Commonsense.
tsassi wrote:
What I'm saying is that Halo can still have a dark atmosphere similar to many Zelda games but how can they possibly do that when they made everything look like action figures? In addition, the fact that they can't use blood or explicit death scenarios make the game even less believable, all to keep a low rating. No one wants to see a cartoonized version of the flood, I won't accept that.
tsassi wrote:

So yes. There is a logical reasoning to correlate a games' rating with how "dark" the games' tone may potentially be.

Commonsense.
No, you missed the point. PEGI isn't trying to tell you how "dark" the game's tone is. A PEGI 16 rating doesn't imply that the game is darker (by whatever arbitrary personal standards one applies) than a PEGI 12 game. It just means that it fulfills some of the PEGI 16 content descriptors such as realistic depictions of violence, nudity, use of drugs, etc.

The OP can have the opinion that Breath of the Wild looks darker than Halo Infinite. but the PEGi rating of either game is irrelevant to their point, since PEGI is not seeking to rate the OP's personal idea of "darkness".
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:

Commonsense.
No, you missed the point. PEGI isn't trying to tell you how "dark" the game's tone is. A PEGI 16 rating doesn't imply that the game is darker (by whatever arbitrary personal standards one applies) than a PEGI 12 game. It just means that it fulfills some of the PEGI 16 content descriptors such as realistic depictions of violence, nudity, use of drugs, etc.

The OP can have the opinion that Breath of the Wild looks darker than Halo Infinite. but the PEGi rating of either game is irrelevant to their point, since PEGI is not seeking to rate the OP's personal idea of "darkness".
My friend.

With a T for Teen rating the chance of flood returning is very low. That's the main cause for concern.
With a T for Teen rating the chance of flood returning is very low. That's the main cause for concern.
Halo Infinite hasn't been given a rating yet.
tsassi wrote:
Halo Infinite hasn't been given a rating yet.
There's no blood splatter on the ground. Indicates keeping the game child friendly.
In the UK both Halo CE and Halo 5 are rated "16"
Is that M for mature?
Is that M for mature?
M is the closest reting to PEGI 16 in the ESRB system in terms of age. However, different rating boards have different standards for the age ratings, so you don't get a 1:1 correspondence. PEGI's description of the rating is based on realism of violence ("This rating is applied once the depiction of violence (or sexual activity) reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life."), whereas ESRB's is based on intensity ("May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.")
Is that M for mature?
Tsassi answered that best, but it's fairly similar sensing that M is 17+. But games like GTA are 18 mainly for the drug and sex references.
Riahisama wrote:
it's Microsoft that single handedly held back Halo since firing Bungie.
Bugnie fulfilled their contract with Microsoft.
After Halo 3 they had two more two make, and the ones they chose to make were ODST ( at first intended to be a Halo 3 DLC ), and Reach. They even had some concept of a Halo 4.

Bungie chose to not continue with their Microsoft partnership, because as word went then, Microsoft wanted more Halo and Bungie wanted to make Destiny, an idea for a game they allegedly had been working on for a considerable amount of time.

Hence i343 being established to continue with Halo.

I don't know about you but "dark" to me isn't something which is exclusive to rapid bodily mutation, grotesque beings or possesion

You can create a dark atmosphere of dread, dispair, loneliness and suppressing depression while including the flood, but not actually showing anything of what it does.

A combat form limpingly dragging a corpse along in a sligt flood foggy corridor with flickering light feel far menacing to me than an infection form rapidly mutating a corpse on the floor.

A stealthy venus flytrap kind wall flood, snatching a Jackal, causing chaos and confusion among its group, only to moments later explode in a fog of dense flood spores, and that group gone.

Cocoons dangling from the ceiling, in familiar shapes, burst open and drop out a pure form.

Plenty of ways to showcase the flood capabilities without going into the gory parts of it.
I like the gore but i think what we are only getting, or at least that is what i hope, blood.

And well, for the flood this is right.
Naqser wrote:
I don't know about you but "dark" to me isn't something which is exclusive to rapid bodily mutation, grotesque beings or possesion

You can create a dark atmosphere of dread, dispair, loneliness and suppressing depression while including the flood, but not actually showing anything of what it does.

A combat form limpingly dragging a corpse along in a sligt flood foggy corridor with flickering light feel far menacing to me than an infection form rapidly mutating a corpse on the floor.

A stealthy venus flytrap kind wall flood, snatching a Jackal, causing chaos and confusion among its group, only to moments later explode in a fog of dense flood spores, and that group gone.

Cocoons dangling from the ceiling, in familiar shapes, burst open and drop out a pure form.

Plenty of ways to showcase the flood capabilities without going into the gory parts of it.
If there are flood on the game at least i want the same level of detaill than halo 3. I mean, mutating and that stuff.
Yeah you really can't have classic Halo without blood and guts and gore. Could sell it as DLC like Creative Assembly maybe.