Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

people still mad at armor design?

OP Warmaster987609

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7
I would’ve liked to see more of his H4/H5 armor in the new one. It’s good, but it is also by the looks of it an amalgamation of armor that came before...but not enough from H4/H5.
Out of curiosity, what from the Halo4/5 armor did you want to see carry over into this design?
I think the etchings on the visor would be nice. Maybe the shoulders.
Interesting preference since I found the H4/5 visor etchings to be less interesting/memorable, really missed the classic Mark VI ones. I am able to understand the armor structural preference like the shoulders better despite being a fan of the old, as I can see that some people felt the more recent designs were apparently more realistic.
The people who dislike the new armor are most likely kids who started out on Halo 4 or Halo 5. The armor looks great!
You know this is not true and even if it was, they are members of this community and their opinions are as valid as mine, yours and everyone else's
after all the positive feedback I was seeing from people about the new armor, as soon as I go onto halowaypoint forums, there are people having problems with the 117 on the chest and lighting. c'mon seriously this is one of(if not the coolest) armors ever, heck even hiddenxperia liked it! what do you guys think of the new armor design and the negativity its getting?
I think its the best one we've seen in a game so far other than maybe the Mark VI from Halo 2 Anniversary.
Enrico 117 wrote:
I want a dollar for every person that complains the armor looks cartoonish cartoonish with a Halo 4 or 5 profile picture.
Halo Infinite's armor looks more carttony than H4 and H5's armor. Halo 3, 2, 1, Wars and Halo Legends' armors, all look more cartoony than H4 and H5's armor. Case in point, Halo Legends has a cartoon version of Chief armor, it looks straight from H2/H3. H4/5's armors are the farthest away from the Halo Legends' cartoon armor.
tbh cartoon animators would hate to do the h4/h5 armor due to all the little details.

You could change the joints on on the 2/3/infinite armor and he could fit right in as a GM from gundam.
I see a lot of people complaining about the space diaper but:

A: I feel its much better than the completely unarmored void on a lot of Halo 5 armors.B: Maybe not thinking of it as a diaper will help perception, its a codpiece.
C: There's been cutscenes of Spartans doing full summersaults in very bulky armor. (Heh, one of the shoulderpads is clipping a bit even in promotional material). The new armor isn't quite as intrusive and requires a bit less suspension of disbelief imo.

Now, the lime-green color I do wish was a bit darker and more worn out. But looking at Chief's armor, I'm actually excited to play as and customize my Spartan again for the first time in 9 years! Last time I enjoyed the aesthetics of my spartan was Reach (can't wait to see it on the MCC).
A: There is no unarmored void. The undersuit is also armor.
B: the armor has a cod piece, its just not bulging and is part of the undersuit.
C: Yes, they have been doing full summersaults in it, which is why its annoying. It makes spartans feel like poorly designed action figures or model kits.
I think fans getting lots of what they wanted at a time is a little overwhelming at first
We did get what we wanted, i think graphics are different since this is on a new engine. Most games use the same engine.
I'm personally in love with the armor. It seems hunky unlike halo 2/3 but keeps the same design. I liked the space diaper being gone, it makes spartans look more agile and flexible. But I'm fine if it returns. I like 4/5 chief too. Although, I do care less about the armor and more about personality. Chiefs actions and motives seemed a little different then they did in the classic. I think from the little we've seen he's a little more of the 'I need a weapon' type now
tsassi wrote:
It makes little sense for 117 to be there in universe, it was in those Legend's cartoons and FoD for the exact reason I outlined, they think people are stupid and have to make things blatant. Having the Spartans be somewhat uniform makes more sense, it can confuse the enemy on your exact numbers- ninja's practiced that in history. What if the MC and some Spartans got captured, a la Ghosts of Onyx: 'which one of you is Spartan one-one - oh it's you, the one with 117 emblazoned on his breast, we have no reason to keep the other alive now. [all dead before rescue]'
Your capture example is a bit confusing. Why would the enemy care about singling out a single Spartan? Apart from Master Chief being a well known Spartan, there's nothing really separating the Spartans in terms of what valuable information they might hold. There's no obvious value the enemy gains from being able to distinguish the Spartans from each other.

The only issue I might see with numbering the Spartans is the German tank problem. Based on Spartans seen in combat, the enemy would be able to estimate the total number of Spartans there are. However, since Spartans are a small infantry special force in a war mostly dependent on naval power, how many of them there are might not actually be all that relevant to the enemy. In turn, hiding the number of Spartans might not be a relevant concern to the UNSC.

343 had their fun with Halo 5; and that turned out to be a piece of trash, I would much prefer 343 take this seriously and give the game; and true fans, the respect it deserves.
You mean give you what you demand? Because last I checked, the game is just an inanimate object, we're all fans here, and 117 is just a number. This has hardly anything to do with respect, and all to do with arbitrary personal preferences.
The capture thing was just an example, a Spartacus type thing - for whatever reason, if you wanted to single out a spartan it is surely easier to do if you can plain as day see the persons identity on their chest. Fair enough if it was something that showed up digitally on a HUD when you looked at a Spartan. For me it just looks tacky and stupid.

No, no, I think it does have to do with respect - respecting canon, respecting a level of quality that the series has been known for. H5 with it's tacky, ill thought out story and characters, piecemeal multiplayer handed out to us as if they were doing us a favour, when it was standard in previous titles; and the scummy Micro-transactions that affected multiplayer/achievements. As and of itself 117 is just a number, yes; but it can also indicate intention, intention to dumb things down, ignore canon and be more concerned with new players, whilst taking old/true fans for granted. So what if I make demands? I have helped make the franchise what it is, like many others, with my time and money, why the heck can I not demand consistency? Its this ''shut up and take it'' attitude that will lead to the demise of this property.
after all the positive feedback I was seeing from people about the new armor, as soon as I go onto halowaypoint forums, there are people having problems with the 117 on the chest and lighting. c'mon seriously this is one of(if not the coolest) armors ever, heck even hiddenxperia liked it! what do you guys think of the new armor design and the negativity its getting?
Very few people actually dislike it. Forums are the right place to talk about that though. Although many of the new design's critics haven't been too respectful.. Anyhow, 343i gave us exactly what we asked for with the suit, and if they give us more classic gameplay and the sound design for the shield noises (in the infinite trailer were so good) then everything will be perfect.
No, no, I think it does have to do with respect - respecting canon, respecting a level of quality that the series has been known for.
Canon expands every day. It has been established that this is a new generation of armor, so its appearance can't break canon. Likewise, it has never been established in canon that Spartans can't have their number on their chest, so that also doesn't break canon.

Level of quality is purely subjcetive.

As and of itself 117 is just a number, yes; but it can also indicate intention, intention to dumb things down, ignore canon and be more concerned with new players, whilst taking old/true fans for granted.
As it is, these are all your imagination. It's just a minor artistic detail you dislike the look of. What it "can indicate" are your post hoc justifications to make your argument appear more objective than it is.

Also, your true Scotsman rethoric is starting to get tiresome. There are no "fake" Halo fans and "true" Halo fans, there are just Halo fans, and everyone who deems themselves a fan is a fan. You can of course disrespect and argue the invalidity of new fans to your heart's content, but the more you do it, the more of an unbearable jerk you're going to sound like, and the less likely anyone is going to take your opinion seriously.

So what if I make demands? I have helped make the franchise what it is, like many others, with my time and money, why the heck can I not demand consistency?
Because it's not your game. You're a customer. You vote with your wallet, and that's all the power you have. You can of course make demands, but the developers are under no obligation to listen to your personal demands, just like they aren't obliged to listen to anybody else's.

Even in instances where they graciously take direct feedback from the community, you're only one of thousands of fans eager to give feedback, and their feedback might conflict with yours. Again, because you're no more important than any other fan.
tsassi wrote:
No, no, I think it does have to do with respect - respecting canon, respecting a level of quality that the series has been known for.
Canon expands every day. It has been established that this is a new generation of armor, so its appearance can't break canon. Likewise, it has never been established in canon that Spartans can't have their number on their chest, so that also doesn't break canon.

Level of quality is purely subjcetive.

As and of itself 117 is just a number, yes; but it can also indicate intention, intention to dumb things down, ignore canon and be more concerned with new players, whilst taking old/true fans for granted.
As it is, these are all your imagination. It's just a minor artistic detail you dislike the look of. What it "can indicate" are your post hoc justifications to make your argument appear more objective than it is.

Also, your true Scotsman rethoric is starting to get tiresome. There are no "fake" Halo fans and "true" Halo fans, there are just Halo fans, and everyone who deems themselves a fan is a fan. You can of course disrespect and argue the invalidity of new fans to your heart's content, but the more you do it, the more of an unbearable jerk you're going to sound like, and the less likely anyone is going to take your opinion seriously.

So what if I make demands? I have helped make the franchise what it is, like many others, with my time and money, why the heck can I not demand consistency?
Because it's not your game. You're a customer. You vote with your wallet, and that's all the power you have. You can of course make demands, but the developers are under no obligation to listen to your personal demands, just like they aren't obliged to listen to anybody else's.

Even in instances where they graciously take direct feedback from the community, you're only one of thousands of fans eager to give feedback, and their feedback might conflict with yours. Again, because you're no more important than any other fan.
It can break the culture though can't it. If for however many years military people have decided not t emblazon armour with silly big writing, it would seem to break the culture that has been set up, what merit/advantage does it have?

Level of quality can be objective when dealing with the same subject. If you get Mona Lisa quality pictures from an artist for years then all of a sudden you get stick figures, I think you can objectively say it isn't up to the same quality; just like Halo, we have game after game of a similar quality, along come 343 and things change, its objective. Old games ship with tons of content out the bat, H5 releases standard features over a period of months to try and cover up the fact they couldn't finish the game in time - that's fact, comparing apples to apples, not some strange subjective feeling I have, you can side by side compare.

Linking with my previous what advantage does it serve? I can point to flaws, I can't think of an advantage, the MC and SII's in general are practical, why is it there? We had no need before. It smacks of Spiderman 3, where they didn't think people would get when Peter Parker was being a naughty boy unless he had a fringe.

I don't think I have singled out a person or persons have I? When I say true fans, I mean people who haven't picked up the latest game and are happy to be shafted with things like delayed content, RNG, Microtransactions, deceitful marketing and a sloppy story - the people that champion that and give 343 a pass aren't real fans, those things lead to the downfall of Halo and only embolden the greedy (I get it's a business but art and integrity don't have to be sacrificed, you can get bank and still have a quality product, its something Halo used to be bloody good at) - man that says he loves his wife and continuously slaps her about isn't a good husband just because he put a ring on it. I am making no point about new fans as and of themselves; but I do notice a lot of the people that lap up these objectively bad elements (go on, tell me the merits of Microtransactions in Halo) happen to be newer fans. I appreciate the mean spirited words - I think I am yet to call you anything; again I am commenting on 343 not you or anyone else specific (I mean unless you are an employee, in which case I suppose I am).

I enjoy the way you intimate I can't make demands then said I can. I have beefed myself up over nobody, I have made no claim to being the golden voice 343 MUST listen to, I am voicing a view which others have voiced similarly (or is an open forum not what that is for? Have I got that wrong? Is this a forum for shutting up and taking whatever 343 say/put out? I'm a fan, not a sycophant): whether it be the colour, animation style, the '117' or that these things may indicate, however slightly, 343's trend of change for changes sake. I don't think asking for consistency and respect from a decade+ sci-fi property is unreasonable. I don't want Halo to further become a Star Trek Discovery or Star Wars: the Farce Awakens/The Last Jedi I'll Ever See.
I love the armor in Infinite. Best looking armor yet. You're going in the right direction, 343!
The armor design in each new Halo was good for that game and era till this Halo Infinite design. Infinite's armor looks comically out of place like a 16-bit sprite in FMV bad. H4/5 Master Chief went from looking like a sleek Audi or BMW to something like a hillbilly's homemade monster truck. Opinions very, but I was totally on board with the new direction 343 was going with in Halo 4. In fact I feel that 343 needed to branch out farther and leave the past behind instead of revisiting it.
New design looks beautiful, nice, clean and crisp. Loving the nostalgia feels!
tsassi wrote:
No, no, I think it does have to do with respect - respecting canon, respecting a level of quality that the series has been known for.
Canon expands every day. It has been established that this is a new generation of armor, so its appearance can't break canon. Likewise, it has never been established in canon that Spartans can't have their number on their chest, so that also doesn't break canon.

Level of quality is purely subjcetive.

As and of itself 117 is just a number, yes; but it can also indicate intention, intention to dumb things down, ignore canon and be more concerned with new players, whilst taking old/true fans for granted.
As it is, these are all your imagination. It's just a minor artistic detail you dislike the look of. What it "can indicate" are your post hoc justifications to make your argument appear more objective than it is.

Also, your true Scotsman rethoric is starting to get tiresome. There are no "fake" Halo fans and "true" Halo fans, there are just Halo fans, and everyone who deems themselves a fan is a fan. You can of course disrespect and argue the invalidity of new fans to your heart's content, but the more you do it, the more of an unbearable jerk you're going to sound like, and the less likely anyone is going to take your opinion seriously.

So what if I make demands? I have helped make the franchise what it is, like many others, with my time and money, why the heck can I not demand consistency?
Because it's not your game. You're a customer. You vote with your wallet, and that's all the power you have. You can of course make demands, but the developers are under no obligation to listen to your personal demands, just like they aren't obliged to listen to anybody else's.

Even in instances where they graciously take direct feedback from the community, you're only one of thousands of fans eager to give feedback, and their feedback might conflict with yours. Again, because you're no more important than any other fan.
When I say true fans, I mean people who haven't picked up the latest game and are happy to be shafted with things like delayed content, RNG, Microtransactions, deceitful marketing and a sloppy story - the people that champion that and give 343 a pass aren't real fans,
Fans are fans. I'm a Halo fan and I bought Halo 5. I was not happy about the reqs, but some are happy with it. They're still fans. I'll certainly be paying more attention to the monetisation of Halo games going forward, but that does not make me any less of a fan, and it does not make me a true fan, whatever that is. It just means I'm a fan that's being more careful about what I spend my money on.
Level of quality can be objective when dealing with the same subject. If you get Mona Lisa quality pictures from an artist for years then all of a sudden you get stick figures, I think you can objectively say it isn't up to the same quality
That's your subjective view of quality speaking. I, for instance, don't regard realism as the ultimate measure of artistic quality. The truth is that stick figures are so orthogonal to the renessance style of Mona Lisa I don't even find it meaningful to compare their quality. You are, of course, free to compare them.

Old games ship with tons of content out the bat, H5 releases standard features over a period of months to try and cover up the fact they couldn't finish the game in time - that's fact, comparing apples to apples, not some strange subjective feeling I have, you can side by side compare.
Here you are comparing something concrete. But what you fail to realize is that how much getting a complete game at release affects ones judgement of the game's quality is solely a personal matter. Therein lies the subjectiveness.

When I say true fans, [blah blah blah]
What you don't understand is that a fan is simply a person who likes something a lot. There are no other prerequisites.

I don't think asking for consistency and respect from a decade+ sci-fi property is unreasonable.
It's not, the problem is the way you choose to express yourself.
Enrico 117 wrote:
I want a dollar for every person that complains the armor looks cartoonish cartoonish with a Halo 4 or 5 profile picture.
Halo Infinite's armor looks more carttony than H4 and H5's armor. Halo 3, 2, 1, Wars and Halo Legends' armors, all look more cartoony than H4 and H5's armor. Case in point, Halo Legends has a cartoon version of Chief armor, it looks straight from H2/H3. H4/5's armors are the farthest away from the Halo Legends' cartoon armor.
tbh cartoon animators would hate to do the h4/h5 armor due to all the little details.

You could change the joints on on the 2/3/infinite armor and he could fit right in as a GM from gundam.
I see a lot of people complaining about the space diaper but:

A: I feel its much better than the completely unarmored void on a lot of Halo 5 armors.B: Maybe not thinking of it as a diaper will help perception, its a codpiece.
C: There's been cutscenes of Spartans doing full summersaults in very bulky armor. (Heh, one of the shoulderpads is clipping a bit even in promotional material). The new armor isn't quite as intrusive and requires a bit less suspension of disbelief imo.

Now, the lime-green color I do wish was a bit darker and more worn out. But looking at Chief's armor, I'm actually excited to play as and customize my Spartan again for the first time in 9 years! Last time I enjoyed the aesthetics of my spartan was Reach (can't wait to see it on the MCC).
A: There is no unarmored void. The undersuit is also armor.
B: the armor has a cod piece, its just not bulging and is part of the undersuit.
C: Yes, they have been doing full summersaults in it, which is why its annoying. It makes spartans feel like poorly designed action figures or model kits.
If the undersuit is armored, what is the point of the armored plating? Why can't the armor be on the outside of the undersuit?
Enrico 117 wrote:
I want a dollar for every person that complains the armor looks cartoonish cartoonish with a Halo 4 or 5 profile picture.
Halo Infinite's armor looks more carttony than H4 and H5's armor. Halo 3, 2, 1, Wars and Halo Legends' armors, all look more cartoony than H4 and H5's armor. Case in point, Halo Legends has a cartoon version of Chief armor, it looks straight from H2/H3. H4/5's armors are the farthest away from the Halo Legends' cartoon armor.
tbh cartoon animators would hate to do the h4/h5 armor due to all the little details.

You could change the joints on on the 2/3/infinite armor and he could fit right in as a GM from gundam.
I see a lot of people complaining about the space diaper but:

A: I feel its much better than the completely unarmored void on a lot of Halo 5 armors.B: Maybe not thinking of it as a diaper will help perception, its a codpiece.
C: There's been cutscenes of Spartans doing full summersaults in very bulky armor. (Heh, one of the shoulderpads is clipping a bit even in promotional material). The new armor isn't quite as intrusive and requires a bit less suspension of disbelief imo.

Now, the lime-green color I do wish was a bit darker and more worn out. But looking at Chief's armor, I'm actually excited to play as and customize my Spartan again for the first time in 9 years! Last time I enjoyed the aesthetics of my spartan was Reach (can't wait to see it on the MCC).
A: There is no unarmored void. The undersuit is also armor.
B: the armor has a cod piece, its just not bulging and is part of the undersuit.
C: Yes, they have been doing full summersaults in it, which is why its annoying. It makes spartans feel like poorly designed action figures or model kits.
If the undersuit is armored, what is the point of the armored plating? Why can't the armor be on the outside of the undersuit?
The armour is on the outside of the undersuit. The undersuit is armoured but does not give the same protection as the armour plate that is designed to attach to it. Think chain maille, silk, padding and plate armour. Various layers served a purpose of their own.
I've had the Infinite MC as my desktop background for a couple of weeks now.

I still smile every time he pops up.
after all the positive feedback I was seeing from people about the new armor, as soon as I go onto halowaypoint forums, there are people having problems with the 117 on the chest and lighting. c'mon seriously this is one of(if not the coolest) armors ever, heck even hiddenxperia liked it! what do you guys think of the new armor design and the negativity its getting?
I think the armour is exactly what we need! A modernised take on the original Halo style which is what they should have done to begin with. I feel like the Halo: 4/5 spartans looK as if someone from Crysis used Warframe parts to make some armour to put over the top of their Nano-suit.

I thought the trailer was very well done. The 117 is fine with me but it isn't necessary, removing it wouldn't make any difference in my oppinion.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. ...
  8. 7