people still mad at armor design?

OP Warmaster987609

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
The only people complaining about this are people who don't realize that the 117 on MC's chest has actually appeared a bunch of times in Halo
Or, you know, they do know it appeared in some extended media and never liked it, but now it's in a main line game.
Let me preface this and say, before people start ragging on for my opinion, I've been along time Halo fan!! It was the first game I purchased on the original Xbox. Hell, I still have my original copy!! I even have an original copy of The Fall of Reach novel!!! I've loved Halo since the beginning! Kinda changed my life in a way.
With that said, I absolutely love the Halo 4-5 art design. I love that the Chief felt like he had a weighted, tanky feel about him-But at the same time, agile and functional. His armor allowed for full range of motion, but still had its distinctive Chief look. I loved that the armor plates resembled a tank, and that they attached to the under suit, rather than being apart of it- or seeming to be apart of it.
The older armor, while fine for the times, seems to encumber the wearer to much. It looks more restrictive than it does flexible. The older designs looked to boxy, to much like the Zords from Power Rangers; the arms came out of holes in the torso portion for christ's sake!
This newer, redesigned art direction and armor has its call backs to "ye olden tymes". Bulky, yes. Tanky, yes. But still somewhat restrictive-at least what's been shown in the trailer. It does resemble the H2-3 armor quite a bit. However, that damn space diaper had to make a return. That hideous cod-piece that resembles those toddler swing-set chairs, than it does functional, high tech powered armor.

I liked the H2A Mk VI armor; still very much H4 looking, but also highly resembling the armor of yesteryear. Form and function all in one package. I just hope they donr totally revert back to "original armor" and art direction. To me, it feels too much like fan service, for the sake of a very vocal audience. I would rather see a blend of H2A, and Halo 5. Slick and streamlined, yet chunky and bulky when needed.
Im indifferent to the new look as a whole. It's not offensive, but I wouldnt go out of my way to get it. I just worry that a return to originality will dull the expirience, and hope and pray it doesn't.
On the plus side, I did enjoy seeing a return of the MA37! And the unnamed pilot's flight suit was pretty badass looking!
Please, oh please just dont touch my GEN 2 Hunter armor!!! Leave it alone!! I love that fighter-jet on legs look it had. Very sleek, and smooth! I wanna be able to rock that suit in MP!!! I'd settle for the current H5 model, but I'd love to even have the same prototype tech suit Locke used in the campaign. I loved glowing lines, and the semi- shiny armor look! Leave it, in its entirety, and let me have it in multiplayer.
Nobody is going to agree with you on this one
Eh, I agree with him somewhat. But not quite. I do like the 4/5 armor, but I also love all the other armors as well.
I don’t know about other people, but I love the new design. It’s a good combination of all the previous designs, all of which I love.
I have always loved every armor set that the Master Chief has worn, and I’m glad that that won’t be changing for me anytime soon.
tsassi wrote:
The only people complaining about this are people who don't realize that the 117 on MC's chest has actually appeared a bunch of times in Halo
Or, you know, they do know it appeared in some extended media and never liked it, but now it's in a main line game.
Quote:
Personally, it doesn't evoke any strong emotional response in me one way or the other.
Yet still strong enough to warrant staying in this thread, replying paragraph after paragraph to any throwaway fanboy post that even slightly irks you. :^/
tsassi wrote:
Quote:
Personally, it doesn't evoke any strong emotional response in me one way or the other.
Yet still strong enough to warrant staying in this thread, replying paragraph after paragraph to any throwaway fanboy post that even slightly irks you. :^/
The unwarranted assumption here is that I need to have a strong emotional response to the armor design in order to do that. In reality, I'm quite capable of it with only a passing interest in the topic at hand.
The only thing that I didn't like about the armor was that they did not keep the color of the first trailer, I prefer it a little darker but the design, the textures, the current minimalist but cool interface of the armor, etc. I love it
A few weeks on, and I still don't like it, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the chest, torso, and helmet. I like the shoulder guard shape, and I like the general armour on the arms, legs, and pelvis. But the helmet just looks like Halo 3's, to me. I preferred last year's, as I felt it was a better blend of the new and old styles. The torso and chest...Too bulky? Too flat? Too simple? I'm not sure. Due to not liking the chest, I also don't like the way the '117' looks, despite not having an issue with it in general. It looks good on Jerome, Alice, and Douglas.

Gen I Mk IV is my favourite armour, for reference.
AMA4N wrote:
Honestly, the armor design looks beautiful. Only concern is that the setting graphics looked too cartoonish
Yeah it felt just a tad too clean and new, other than that, I really liked the armour design
I think the harsh lighting in the pelican is partly to blame for how "clean" Chief looks- there's a couple moments later in the trailer, where you can see more of the realistic texturing and weathering to the armor (specifically the pauldrons). With how exceptionally good the materials otherwise look in the trailer (especially on the pilot's suit, and Chief's gloves), I'm not too worried about it. The tech demo trailer they showed last year also showed some really nice normal maps and parallax occlusion mapping, with a touch of washed out pastel colours - almost like watercolouring - that reminded me of Breath of the Wild a little bit.

As for the armor design - I actually liked the redesign of the armor in Halo 4 on it's own merits, though it was definitely a departure from the other games. I also like the look of the quasi-classic armor for Infinite. My only issue with the Halo 4 redesign, was their nonsense non-explanation for it. Likewise, I hope they explain the return to a more classic look in this game, in a way that doesn't involve O'Connor's famed "nanobots".
I hope you're right on the lighting bit, and am definitely encouraged by the rest of the design.
TBH, I think I'm just unhappy with the current state of Halo ATM and that's causing me to have an unfairly negative outlook on future titles.
after all the positive feedback I was seeing from people about the new armor, as soon as I go onto halowaypoint forums, there are people having problems with the 117 on the chest and lighting. c'mon seriously this is one of(if not the coolest) armors ever, heck even hiddenxperia liked it! what do you guys think of the new armor design and the negativity its getting?
Hidden Xperia is not a guru that we say amem to everything he says.
I prefer the Halo 4 armor, for me it looks cooler and less cartoony than the new one, which is fine I just think the color is too bright and make it look cartoony and plastic just like the Halo 5 armor, nothing major here.
This community is too big and it is normal to have people with different opinions on every aspect of the game.
He isn't a guru but he is one of the biggest critics of 343's art style that I know of, and to see him excited got me excited. I agree with you on the light green problem (but to be honest with you that can be fixed really quickly), and the fact that people will always have different opinions, but my point was that I was baffled by the amount of people who disliked it due to such small details.
I just not much of a fan of the "iconic" argument he uses it does not hold up well, but anyway I guess you are taking about the 117 emblem as a small detail, right? I'm fine with it I don't mind if it stays or goes away, my only concern really is the cartoony plastic look with that bright green but I hope they can fix it easily as you said.
The armor of Halo Infinite is godlike !

It's like 100 times better than the armor of Halo 4 and Halo 5.

i was like : "FINALLY Halo goes back to his roots".

i was so happy when i saw the first trailer and damn when it was confirmed in the second trailer, i've almost cried...

I've been waiting for this since 8 years now, almost a decade that we didn't have a "real" Halo.

I want so much that Halo Infinite has the Halo 1 2 3 feeling.

And it looks like it's the case from what we've seen, please be true !!
Yes, e.g. in Halo legends or in Forward unto dawn
after all the positive feedback I was seeing from people about the new armor, as soon as I go onto halowaypoint forums, there are people having problems with the 117 on the chest and lighting. c'mon seriously this is one of(if not the coolest) armors ever, heck even hiddenxperia liked it! what do you guys think of the new armor design and the negativity its getting?
Hidden Xperia is not a guru that we say amem to everything he says.
I prefer the Halo 4 armor, for me it looks cooler and less cartoony than the new one, which is fine I just think the color is too bright and make it look cartoony and plastic just like the Halo 5 armor, nothing major here.
This community is too big and it is normal to have people with different opinions on every aspect of the game.
He isn't a guru but he is one of the biggest critics of 343's art style that I know of, and to see him excited got me excited. I agree with you on the light green problem (but to be honest with you that can be fixed really quickly), and the fact that people will always have different opinions, but my point was that I was baffled by the amount of people who disliked it due to such small details.
I just not much of a fan of the "iconic" argument he uses it does not hold up well, but anyway I guess you are taking about the 117 emblem as a small detail, right? I'm fine with it I don't mind if it stays or goes away, my only concern really is the cartoony plastic look with that bright green but I hope they can fix it easily as you said.
Im pretty sure someone did a darker edit of the armor, here is the link:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/i-fixed-chief-s-armor/974fb519-71a4-4318-8132-c2a2d0cd07c3/posts
I'm fine with the 117 emblem, though I wish the color was a bit darker.
I think its fine, nothing wrong with it in my eyes! People need to stop having a go all the time god xD ahah
AMA4N wrote:
Honestly, the armor design looks beautiful. Only concern is that the setting graphics looked too cartoonish
Yeah it felt just a tad too clean and new, other than that, I really liked the armour design
I think the harsh lighting in the pelican is partly to blame for how "clean" Chief looks- there's a couple moments later in the trailer, where you can see more of the realistic texturing and weathering to the armor (specifically the pauldrons). With how exceptionally good the materials otherwise look in the trailer (especially on the pilot's suit, and Chief's gloves), I'm not too worried about it. The tech demo trailer they showed last year also showed some really nice normal maps and parallax occlusion mapping, with a touch of washed out pastel colours - almost like watercolouring - that reminded me of Breath of the Wild a little bit.

As for the armor design - I actually liked the redesign of the armor in Halo 4 on it's own merits, though it was definitely a departure from the other games. I also like the look of the quasi-classic armor for Infinite. My only issue with the Halo 4 redesign, was their nonsense non-explanation for it. Likewise, I hope they explain the return to a more classic look in this game, in a way that doesn't involve O'Connor's famed "nanobots".
I hope you're right on the lighting bit, and am definitely encouraged by the rest of the design.
TBH, I think I'm just unhappy with the current state of Halo ATM and that's causing me to have an unfairly negative outlook on future titles.
When they initially show the new armor (when he's being moved with the winch and dropped), he essentially has a flood light pointed directly at him, blowing out any details on the surface of his armor. When he walks over to the pilot later on, you can see the weathering and texturing on his pauldrons and chest piece more clearly. It looks good (especially on a 4K screen), and I doubt that it's like 343i will have "forgotten" to add detail to his armor or something in development.

As for the state of Halo, this is actually the best I've felt about it since the pre-Halo 4 days. 343i are giving the impression that they've learned the right lessons from the reception of Halo 4 and 5. The new engine looks gorgeous, as does the aesthetic redesign, and 343i are being pleasantly transparent about their vision, as well as saying all the right things. Just admitting that Halo 5's story wasn't the quality it needed to be, speaks volumes to the idea that they "get it". Halo 5 ended with a pretty decent Metacritic score, and it would have been easy for them to decide that they were on the right track, and it was just the community being fickle, or whatever.

Honestly, my only fear now is that they listen TOO MUCH to people like HiddenXperia, and the other diehards who want everything to look and feel "classic" forever, which could easily result in stagnation for the series.

But right now? I'm very optimistic about Infinite, and MCC PC.
The new design along with the simpler dialog resonates terms like Bold, Stoic, Noble. The trailer just made me want to run into the fight with the Chief. It was everything I was hoping for. Until I noticed the Halo Reach Assualt Rifle. At which point I shook my head and softy asked why...? Everything was sooo goood! The look of the AR was about the only thing H5's art team did well. Why bring in an art design from a spin-off game never shown before in the Chief's hands?
I think it's a little too cherry to be the coolest, I like armors that show some proof they are working.
The 117 emblem is growing on me though.
My first thought on seeing the 117 on the chest was, "that must be a place holder for emblems." Finally we might have emblems on our armor again. I miss the h2 emblems that were on both shoulders and in the middle of your back. Some might have thought it was to much but I liked it. H3 really nailed it with an emblem on the shoulder. I remember trying to take screenshots so my emblem was in it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7