Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Phil Spencer on releasing Infinite in parts

OP Fully Skully

Link

Apparently Phil Spencer spoke to Kotaku recently and was asked if he would consider releasing Infinite campaign and multiplayer separately. Sounds like the option isn't completely ruled out but they haven't decided anything yet.
I believe he more accurately said the Bonnie Ross & 343i are more in charge of that decision than himself.
Whatever is best for the game they’ll do.

He’s kind of commented on this in the past too in another interview not all that long ago. They had considered releasing the game in parts but decided not to and instead choose the option of delaying the game.

Personally I can’t see them releasing the game in parts. With Halo being such an important IP for Xbox I’m sure they’ll want to deliver Halo Infinite as a full experience for the fans.

Obviously have no way of knowing til later on in the future. Just gotta sit tight and see
TheDonCJG wrote:
He’s kind of commented on this in the past too in another interview not all that long ago. They had considered releasing the game in parts but decided not to and instead choose the option of delaying the game.
Basically this.

There was the thought to release it in parts, but then 343 decided to delay the game and ship it as a complete whole. I wouldn't be concerned about it shipping in parts right now.
TheDonCJG wrote:
Basically this.

There was the thought to release it in parts, but then 343 decided to delay the game and ship it as a complete whole. I wouldn't be concerned about it shipping in parts right now.
^ agreed. It would almost contradict the purpose of delaying in the first place
This has been talked about on multiple occasions by the higher ups. They often ruled out not doing that, which I personally hope they stick to. Would feel weird and untraditional to me.
Yeah if they were to release the Story Campaign & Multiplayer separately I think that would actually decrease the Impact of both individually & Halo Infinite in general as opposed to sticking with the delay and having both in one package.

They already delayed the Game for improvements and it wouldn't make sense to make them to have separate releases.

However if they wanted to do something like 2 Different Demos/Betas/Tests for Infinite where the public can Play & Tryout the Campaign or Multiplayer before the Game Releases I don't think folks would have much of a problem with that but they would still prefer having both when it comes to the REAL Game when it does release.
They literally delayed the game so it wouldn't be split up the game just needed polish which they are getting the time people need to chill
If the multiplayer is ready they should release it imo. I know they decided to delay and release it as a complete game. My question is, will it actually release as a complete game ? I personally do not see the free to play multiplayer being on a £60 / $60 disc. The multiplayer needs to be a free download if it's genuinely free to play. All I see is the free multiplayer and paid campaign being available on the same day.
I always interpret those Spencer interviews like "I really don't wanna, but Ross and 343i are pushing hard for it!" and to be fair, they are the developers. There is certainly a valid reason to cut the game in two. Like Teddy said, they kinda did it already anyway by making it f2p...

A separate release however might hurt one or the other. SP on sales if it comes out later, and MP in population if that is the one to be post-poned. That said if there is a separate release for the two modes, than it would be better to focus on the campaign first, because Hi's MP being f2p has a greater chance to recover in the long run.

Doing so could be an advantage as well though! XBox is in desperate need of exclusive AAA content, especially in the first half of 2021! There's a huge drought after The Medium on MS's gaming landscape, a new Halo story would fill that gap. Maybe release the SP together with a beta for mp coming out a few weeks later down the line, so there is at least an incentive for the multiplayer crowd.

Both sides have valid points!
eviltedi wrote:
If the multiplayer is ready they should release it imo. I know they decided to delay and release it as a complete game. My question is, will it actually release as a complete game ? I personally do not see the free to play multiplayer being on a £60 / $60 disc. The multiplayer needs to be a free download if it's genuinely free to play. All I see is the free multiplayer and paid campaign being available on the same day.
That's where my thinking is at. It seems majority of people want it to be this package but they've already announced it's going to F2P. I don't see why not release the MP if it's ready first. I'm also dying to play a good new arena shooter though so I'm desperate lol Been playing Apex since launch, I'm ready for Halo already.
I think part of the Apprehension with that is that we know that there will be a F2P Multiplayer but what we DON'T KNOW is if there will be Extra Perks or Modes in the MP whether you own the full game or not.

There's some Rumors & Theories that there's gonna be a Battle Royale Mode in Halo Infinite or some kinda Mode especially tailored to the F2P Model and whatever that is falling within the "Free To Play" statements that were already made about the Multiplayer while more Traditional Halo Multiplayer Modes might be the ones that come along with the Main Game & may even reuse Maps/Areas & Even Weapon Properties that are part of the Campaign which itself is still actively being worked on with the delay that happened so releasing a watered-down Multiplayer that's not yet fully ready because the Main Game's Assets aren't completely yet done may have the potential to do more harm then good instead of waiting to be sure everything is good to go on both ends.
I don't think it will happen and I'm against the idea especially after 5.

But I wouldn't be mad or annoyed if it where to happen, so long as what is released is 'complete' (to warrant its release). It would be nice if it came with a statement on why it was chosen (also a gift for when the next part is released).
I believe he was just stating it as an option if it comes to that by 2021 and the game still isn't ready but ultimately it is 343's decision whether or not they want to do that
TheHal09uy wrote:
I believe he was just stating it as an option if it comes to that by 2021 and the game still isn't ready but ultimately it is 343's decision whether or not they want to do that
Yeah that's all I'm pointing out. Thought it was interesting.
LinkApparently Phil Spencer spoke to Kotaku recently and was asked if he would consider releasing Infinite campaign and multiplayer separately. Sounds like the option isn't completely ruled out but they haven't decided anything yet.
If one is finished before the other, it' could' be an option.
A couple of key points nothinng is finishef as yet either campaign or mp. And 'could' means its as non committed and full of varibles. This drought has everyone graspimg at straws,
I'd prefer a simultaneous release but if one were to release before the other, I think it would have to be MP.

MP needs to make a splash as I assume it will be more important for the game's longevity and I think the SP releasing before MP would lessen the impact.

Also, imagine unlocking stuff in campaign but not being able to use it/show it off in MP (this is assuming we HAVE to be Chief in the campaign rather than a customizable character). Seeing the campaign unlocks in the MP before the campaign releases might actually build up hype for the campaign release.