Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Pilot in trailer from S.O.F.crew?

OP N1K Leonhart

I saw on Halo Infinite trailer breakdown video that the pilot in Pelican is wearing a Covenant era logo clothes.Someone commented he could be from Spirit of Fire crew.I think this could be true and we get S.O.F.and the Banished in Infinite.
Why would any other pilot have clothes from Covenant war times in present time.Also Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 endings were connected.
I doubt it. Infinite is supposed to have a vastly simplified story that is accessible to casual and lore fans alike. Throwing in plot lines from a spinoff RTS into a main line FPS would go against that intention.

As far as the Covenant era uniform, from a real world perspective, 343 is trying to re-capture what we all loved so much about the game from back in the day. Bringing back the old art design falls in line with that. From an in-universe perspective, the UNSC is probably running low on resources. So they may be needing to dip into old inventory to keep their soldiers clothed and armed. That would include old uniforms, armor, and weapons (which would also explain Chief carrying what appears to be an MA35 in the trailer).
From an in-universe perspective, the UNSC is probably running low on resources. So they may be needing to dip into old inventory to keep their soldiers clothed and armed.
Or it was laundry day.

But yeah there is speculation that his call sign "Echo...something" , refers to the crew of an older ship. But it's probably just a throwback more than anything.

I also don't see any familial connection Echo 419
I doubt it. Infinite is supposed to have a vastly simplified story that is accessible to casual and lore fans alike. Throwing in plot lines from a spinoff RTS into a main line FPS would go against that intention.

As far as the Covenant era uniform, from a real world perspective, 343 is trying to re-capture what we all loved so much about the game from back in the day. Bringing back the old art design falls in line with that. From an in-universe perspective, the UNSC is probably running low on resources. So they may be needing to dip into old inventory to keep their soldiers clothed and armed. That would include old uniforms, armor, and weapons (which would also explain Chief carrying what appears to be an MA35 in the trailer).
You think they created the Banished just to drop them completely if there is no Halo Wars 3?In Halo Wars 2 ending a Guardian appears and stops the new Halo ring created by Anders from S.O.F.Presumably the ring from Halo 5 legendary ending.
So they already connected main Halo game with a spinoff.The art director from Halo Wars 2 is in Infinite,so all his creations for S.O.F. and Banished could be reused in a fps game.
I doubt it unless 343 is going to spend time catching all the people who didn't play Halo Wars 2 up to speed about that game before Infinite itself starts.

You think they created the Banished just to drop them completely if there is no Halo Wars 3?In Halo Wars 2 ending a Guardian appears and stops the new Halo ring created by Anders from S.O.F.Presumably the ring from Halo 5 legendary ending.
So they already connected main Halo game with a spinoff.The art director from Halo Wars 2 is in Infinite,so all his creations for S.O.F. and Banished could be reused in a fps game.
I doubt they will drop the Banished entirely. I just don't think they will include the Banished in Infinite because if 343 wants the casual fan to be invested in the story, they will need to explain just how significant of a threat the Banished are. And that's on top of whatever else will be going on, including an introduction to the Created (I know they've been explained already, but if this is meant to be a jumping off point for new fans, then their origins will need to be addressed again). It took an entire cut scene in HW2 just to explain who the Banished were. So including explanations of the Banished and the Created might be too much of an information overload for casual fans.

That isn't to say that I'm right and you're wrong. I hope I'm wrong because I love the Banished as an antagonist. I just find it doubtful is all.
Was the art director. Jeremy Cook left 343i earlier this year around March sadly! :P

His work is still present and felt of course, but don't expect it to be too similar to that design master-piece that is Halo Wars 2.

EDIT.:
I don't think the Banished in Hi are that unbelievable frankly. Nor do I think it would be forced. Quite the opposite! The community likes them a lot, plot points between H5 and HW2 have been treated already and they can be introduced quite easily as well because Chief himself never has seen them yet either. The main character is mirroring the new player-base or the fans that skipped HW2! Chief could just fight them and dropping some questions about their armor and modified tech after a first encounter. It's not that hard! Let's not forget that we didn't knew anything about the Covenant in HCE, but the story was still easily comprehensible by everyone thanks to an interesting opening and slowly opening the enemy gallery piece by piece and level by level. I don't see why 343i shouldn't be able to pull off the same trick!

We only need a way for them to get onto Zeta Halo in a logical manner, because their mother-ship won't leave the Ark any time soon!

The only good reason beside that why they still might go for the Covenant over the Banished is marketing honestly. The name is more recognizable. That's it! It's an important point of course, but apart of that? The Covenant was defeated multiple times by now, they got no real leadership among them (alas, we got a new much more interesting character all together), their god like figure - aka evil Cortana - is as interesting as a cardboard cutout and there is no real target for them either but for yet another blind religious fundamentalist plot tread. Now that M'dama is gone the only objective left for the Covenant is the wish-fulfillment of the least interesting antagonist we got so far in a main Halo title and therefore it wouldn't be easy at all story wise to make them fit into the new plot, at least not with an interesting purpose that I can't see without forcing myself back into the enhanced universe. And that is exactly what 343i is trying to avoid!

So yeah, the Covis got the branding recognition as a strong point, but that's about it. Having the Banished as the main alien army force fells a hell lot less forced to me!

Another huge advantage would be a more logical reason for having a three faction story way before the Flood get inevitably reintroduced down the line. With a more diversified army as well!

Cortana would have more specialized units:- Grunts and Elites with new weaponry on the front line
- backed up by Promethean soldiers, doggos and Enforcers
(hopefully with better AI routines/pathing over TP, bullet-sponge mechanics or sheer number)
- Jackals as snipers and for mid range combat
- Some new support classes or heavily redesigned Watchers
- Knights as the heavy hitters
- for vehicles something fast on land like Ghosts and a good mix of heavy flying units

On the other side the Banished would be a more brute and direct force:- Brutes as the main soldier unit with Grunts as enforcement on the Front line
- Elite pairs with carbines for some good old mid range combat
- Spec OPS Elite/Grunts as a stronger and stealth based counterpart of the Covi front-line units
(slick black Sangeli and maybe something steampunk inspired like Reach for the Grunts)
- Engineers as a main support role
- Hunters as their heavy hitters
- specialized in land vehicles with Banshees to cover the sky

By mixing Promethean units much more with Covis you also make them more interesting from the get-go as well imho. I also would love to see some lost fellas like Yanme'e and Skirmisher to make a small comeback if possible, but the armies seem a bit crowded already, even for an open-world/semi-open-world like I guess Hi is going to be.

Couldn't there just be a "previously on Halo" video in game that goes over important events like you see in Gears?

Couldn't there just be a "previously on Halo" video in game that goes over important events like you see in Gears?
I think if Infinite has an opening mission like Halo 2 did, then that could work. It would need to be rather lengthy though, which I'm not opposed to. The only problem I see is that would still run the risk of being an information overload for new fans. If they strip down the explanation to the bare essentials, then that might avoid the issue.
I think with the Guardian at the end of Wars2, it wouldn't be outrageous to bring the Banished into the main story. The Arbiter may even know the legend of Atriox and be able to pass on his knowledge in a nice exposition cutscene. I think most people's problems with the Didact/Prometheans in 4 was that they were just THERE and you were expected to read the books to see why. If the Didact had a Bond-villain monologue to explain his hatred towards humanity and his imprisonment, it might have gone over better.

If you add or change something, you have to say WHY. A mention is nice for those who've read the supporting material, but an explanation helps everyone.