1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have heard some people say they don;t think the pistol needs a scope I like the scope on the pistol I prefer the one in Halo CE though what do you all think
Does it NEED a scope? Probably not. Would I LIKE a scope. Yep :)
I think a low damage, high rate of fire, and good accuracy would make for a more pistol-like performance and feel. The idea of a magnum as a utility weapon certainly helps with balance to a degree, but then idea of being outgunned by a pistol when wielding a larger caliber weapon seems....incorrect.
i like the pistol in h:CE... it's like the battlerifle in this game. that being said, it's more or less just a skin.. it could very well be a rifle with the same properties, so it would just be a different look...
but it always puts a smile on my face, when i think about the best weapon is a pistol (or just a great weapon), which is one of the weaker weapons in other games. :)
Honestly it just depends.

If the Pistol is going to be the starting utility weapon, it needs to have high per shot damage(at least a 4 shot kill), a 2X scope, and at least 3 kills per magazine.

That being said if the the BR/DMR were the starting weapon, then I wouldn't mind either an ODST style Pistol with low damage and a 4x Scope or buffed versions of the Halo 2/Halo 3/Gunfighter Pistols. A close range precision weapon without a scope is not something we have really seen yet in any meaningful capacity yet.

However the Pistol cannot be relegated to being a "backup" weapon that is thrown away at the earliest convenience. There is no room in the Halo sandbox for "sidearms" that are only useful when you run out of ammo for another weapon. When you can only hold 2 weapons regardless of size or shape, there is no room for a weapon that only functions as a last resort.

Whatever niche the Pistol ends up filling, it needs to be a effective weapon in its own right.
At first it felt weird to have ADS in Halo but after I got used to it I actually really like it on the pistol.
WerepyreND wrote:
However the Pistol cannot be relegated to being a "backup" weapon that is thrown away at the earliest convenience. There is no room in the Halo sandbox for "sidearms" that are only useful when you run out of ammo for another weapon. When you can only hold 2 weapons regardless of size or shape, there is no room for a weapon that only functions as a last resort.

Whatever niche the Pistol ends up filling, it needs to be a effective weapon in its own right.
I 100% agree with that, but, it shouldn't be able to outgun almost every gun on the map or sandbox. Halo 5 is the perfect example of a broken weapon sandbox were in competitive play the only weapons people use are the pistol. Or light rifle if your going for range.

I still believe that Reach has the best pistol variant in terms of balance. You could kill with it or use it as a backup. Not throwing it away like in H2/H3 or throwing away a AR/BR/DMR in H5 because pistol is soo OP.
speedyjr11 wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

I 100% agree with that, but, it shouldn't be able to outgun almost every gun on the map or sandbox. Halo 5 is the perfect example of a broken weapon sandbox were in competitive play the only weapons people use are the pistol. Or light rifle if your going for range.

I still believe that Reach has the best pistol variant in terms of balance. You could kill with it or use it as a backup. Not throwing it away like in H2/H3 or throwing away a AR/BR/DMR in H5 because pistol is soo OP.
The Reach Pistol is inferior to the DMR in all scenarios except point blank range. Being a worse version of an existing weapon is bad design.

The TTK statistics in Halo 5 don't back up the idea that the Halo 5 Pistol can "outgun almost every gun on the map or sandbox." Everything except the Boltshot, Battle Rifle, DMR, and Suppressor can easily best a Pistol when used correctly. Guns that aim for you really shouldn't be outgunning weapons that require precision and the DMR isn't meant to tangle with Pistols at mid range anyways.

The only outlier in the sandbox is the BR. There was always going to be an outlier when you have 5 different precision weapons all tripping over each other filling more or less the same niche. No one is going to bother picking up a weapon that functions more or less the same as the weapon they spawn with unless it is blatantly superior(which would be bad design)

The solution to "variety" complaints isn't to nerf the utility weapon you spawn with, but to give each weapon in the sandbox a distinct niche. Players need to start with a generalized weapon and then specialize with map weapons.

Now again, I don't think the Pistol necessarily needs to be the spawn weapon, but the Halo Reach and Halo 4 variants are the absolute worst options. The ODST Pistol is a unique option, and the Halo 2/Halo 3 Pistols could conceivably be buffed to carve out a niche of their own, but there was never any real reason to keep a Reach/H4 Magnum when precision rifles were available.
Scoped pistol for the win! I think the Halo: Reach Magnum was the most balanced one.
I really like the silenced pistols from ODST and Halo 5. Those would be my favorites, second only to the classic Halo CE pistol.
Legitsky wrote:
I really like the silenced pistols from ODST and Halo 5. Those would be my favorites, second only to the classic Halo CE pistol.
Halo CE pistol is always been my favorite
X11 XOMAN wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
Halo CE pistol is always been my favorite
Yup, can't beat a crispy 3 shot kill!
If the pistol in Infinite is anything like the one in H5, adding a scope to it would be horrifying.
Tyler G175 wrote:
If the pistol in Infinite is anything like the one in H5, adding a scope to it would be horrifying.
Its called a Tac Magnum, it already exists.

I just don't understand why folks make the H5 Magnum out to be some super weapon when it isn't all that especially powerful relative to the rest of the sandbox. The Halo 2 and Halo 3 BRs and the Reach DMR were all much more powerful relative to the greater sandbox than the H5 Magnum ever was.

It was the utility weapon in Halo 5, it was always going to be heavily used. Every utility weapon in Halo is going to be used just as much regardless of what form it takes.
WerepyreND wrote:
Tyler G175 wrote:

I just don't understand why folks make the H5 Magnum out to be some super weapon when it isn't all that especially powerful relative to the rest of the sandbox. The Halo 2 and Halo 3 BRs and the Reach DMR were all much more powerful relative to the greater sandbox than the H5 Magnum ever was.

It was the utility weapon in Halo 5, it was always going to be heavily used. Every utility weapon in Halo is going to be used just as much regardless of what form it takes.
I'm sorry, do you watch HSC? H5 Magnum is king
Tyler G175 wrote:
Except the H5 pistol kind of does have a scope.
Tyler G175 wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Tyler G175 wrote:

I'm sorry, do you watch HSC? H5 Magnum is king
Which makes it no different from any other utility weapon at a pro level. Even then its not as if other weapons are not viable options, the problem is that there are, for example, 4 other precision utility weapons not including variants that all do more or less the same job. Not much reason to pick up a weapon that is almost identical to your starting weapon when you could be polishing your skills with the Magnum.

Again when you look at the actual statistics more of the weapons are more than a match for the Magnum when used properly, which is a lot more than you can say for most Halo games, but the sandbox is still as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle so there isn't much incentive to experiment beyond picking which color bullets you want to shoot.
I think the pistol should be like it was in Reach
AGREED. That is my favorite pistol in any Halo game; balanced and useful.
omarlotrc wrote:
AGREED. That is my favorite pistol in any Halo game; balanced and useful.
Unless you have another precision weapon making it redundant and pointless. Seriously I don't understand the love some of you have for the Reach Pistol(or Halo 4 Pistol for that matter). Aside from point blank range it is just a worse version of the DMR. Same damage for a much smaller magazine, a lower magnification scope, and it has noticeable spread on top of bloom.

Say what you will about the Halo 2 and Halo 3 Pistols, they may have been underpowered, but they at least weren't filling the exact same niche as an existing weapon while doing it worse.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2