Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Playable Promethean Soldier in Halo Infinite?

OP Iced Procellus

Playable Promethean Soldiers in Halo Infinite

So I’ve been asking people while playing Halo games if playable Promethean Soldiers should it could be added into Halo Infinite. They’ve said it could be a good idea, because they are a new enemy and their thruster dodge could be their little phase that they do. That and they can use UNSC and Covenant vehicles with accuracy in Warzone Firefight and the Halo 5 Campaign. If I remember correctly, I watched a video saying that the armor system in Halo Infinite will be like Halo Reach. And in Halo Reach, you had playable Elites and their different ranks there, too. So you could have the three ranks of the soldiers (Captain, Soldier, and Sniper) along with their Mythic and Legendary Variants. I’m not sure if this could be in the general discussion either, because this is my second post in like a year. But this whole Soldier thing is just an idea me and some friends came up with. I’m a big fan of Prometheans in general, and I really look forward to Halo Infinite.
This looks like it should be in the Halo Infinite forum but, it can be posted here. I honestly hope Prometheans just disappear.
It sounds like a cool idea, I'll definitely admit. It'd be cool to play with a Promethean soldier and warp around the place.

Unfortunately, something like that is the base problem with having Prometheans as playable characters. The fact is, Prometheans have a bit of a different style to them compared to something like a Spartan. While Spartans can dodge, Soldiers are more fluid and can do the whole "phasing" thing, leaving them vulnerable to abuse. For example, lets say you have the phase VS the Spartan thrust. The phase physically makes you this small little data core that goes at a pretty high speed for a relatively fair amount of time, leaving you a much harder target to hit in that amount of time. In comparison, the thrust launches the Spartan in a certain direction without any sort of hitbox "shrinking" and for a pretty short time. Additionally, the form of a Soldier is much more slick and thin compared to the typical Spartan. If I were to choose between one or the other for a tactical situation, I'd indefinitely pick the Soldier over the Spartan or Elite.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds fun. Always kinda liked the Prometheans, and it'd be kinda cool to see them in a different, playable light. But at the same time, they have traits to them that simply aren't seen in the other factions we fight against.
It would cause problems in multiplayer because headshots would be harder to get.
It would cause problems in multiplayer because headshots would be harder to get.
It wouldn't be that big of a deal. I could see Promethean Soldiers becoming playable with the teleportation ability. It'd be like an armor ability (I know, don't crucify me) that would have a recharge window. It'd be a cool option that players would enjoy trying. I'm sure there'd be no place for them in competitive playlists but hey, plenty of opportunities on the social/custom side of Halo Infinite.
This was the case with Elites in Halo 3 but Elites were still in Halo 3 multiplayer.
Due to their human shape, it's much easier to make a promethean soldier work compared to elites who have alot more proportion issues.
They should have playable Brutes, Elites, and Promethean soldiers in multiplayer.
It sounds as if it could work in theory, due to their more human-like humanoid shape than Elites. But seeing as multiplayer is Spartan sparring simulations, I don't think it would be implemented.
In before the lock

Seriously though we need a playable Non-spartan character thread in the Halo Infinite forum!!!

Go ahead and lock the Playable Elite thread in Halo 5, that is not going to happen and most of us don't want to discuss Halo 5 here.
In before the lock Seriously though we need a playable Non-spartan character thread in the Halo Infinite forum!!!Go ahead and lock the Playable Elite thread in Halo 5, that is not going to happen and most of us don't want to discuss Halo 5 here.
?
Very doubtful.
In before the lock Seriously though we need a playable Non-spartan character thread in the Halo Infinite forum!!!Go ahead and lock the Playable Elite thread in Halo 5, that is not going to happen and most of us don't want to discuss Halo 5 here.
?
playable brutes thread lockedand the playable elites thread lockedSeriously we don't want to go to halo 5 forum to talk about playable elites.
343 should do to Prometheans what Itchy and Scratchy did to Poochie.
I don't think we should be able too. I want the main series to be more traditional. It would throw off MP huge, take a lot of time balancing things, not to mention money.... and since 343I has made MP cannon, it wouldn't work.

I think a better idea would be for 343I to make a side game where you can play as various characters, classes, races, etc. Make it there battle royal game.
Well this thread hasn't been locked so hopefully we now can talk about non-Spartan playable characters in Halo Infinite forums.
Now in another thread about customizations I posted what I would like to see for some customization options as well as take a few liberties of what other characters could be used as avatars in Halo and how their health/armor/shield mechanics should vary. So in short the idea of suitable playable characters besides Spartans and Elites also included ODST, Brutes, Flood Combat Forms, and Promethean Knights. So lets talk about the knights.

So for Health systems I hope that the health packs comeback much like Reach did it (I have always been a fan of limited regeneration without a med kit). But given that for these Mechanical monstrosities that obviously don't have health I would like to see them be given the Halo 2/Halo 3 health system where there is only a shield bar and if it is down it is likely you start taking health/armor damage but will fully regen eventually.
However the biggest thing I can see these Promethean Knights can bring to the table is Armor Abilities. Especially since you could give them some broken abilities like Teleport, a Deployable Sentry that isn't trash maybe a Watcher that will immediately rez you if you die before it is destroyed. You could go all out with these armor abilities because we are talking about a race that reached the pinnacle of technology. Heck maybe you could even make an Ammo Recharge ability. Oh what is this I hear? Oh yeah that golden triangle, listen they are not going to be load out armor abilities, you will have to collect them from the map, also I think when armor abilities make a return there should be an option to adjust the duration and regen of individual armor abilities. These armor abilities are prime candidates for turning the regen off.

Now for gametypes when plays as a Promethean Knight. Well a spinoff promethean mini campaign would be interesting. However you could also program in a counter-op mode in which another player takes the role of enemies such as Promethean Knights. More of a PvE roll you could do a hunt mode where you are hunting Grunts or even the Flood which makes a lot of lore sense as these were part of the Flood/Forerunner war. They could also work as a Juggernaut similar to a suggestion I did with Brutes for those looking for a more PvP role. There could also be Promethean Slayer as a quick game type much like Elite Slayer or Brute Slayer.

I am going to take this time to also address Promethean Weapons and how they need a mechanic that separates them from being functionally UNSC weapons. Ammo Reload works with Brutes because those are viewed as a more primitive weapon when compared to the rest of the covenant arsenal. But for these there needs to be something. How about all Promethean Weapons hare the same ammo poll. Oh you are out of ammo for your Incendiary Cannon, pick up a Bolt Shot to give you an extra round. Now of course incendiary cannon will give more shots to a bolt shot than a bolt shot will give to the incendiary cannon but something to simulate the hardlight technology that all Promethean weapons use.

Well those are my thoughts of it, hopefully this thread is allowed to continue.
Well this thread hasn't been locked so hopefully we now can talk about non-Spartan playable characters in Halo Infinite forums.
Now in another thread about customizations I posted what I would like to see for some customization options as well as take a few liberties of what other characters could be used as avatars in Halo and how their health/armor/shield mechanics should vary. So in short the idea of suitable playable characters besides Spartans and Elites also included ODST, Brutes, Flood Combat Forms, and Promethean Knights. So lets talk about the knights.

So for Health systems I hope that the health packs comeback much like Reach did it (I have always been a fan of limited regeneration without a med kit). But given that for these Mechanical monstrosities that obviously don't have health I would like to see them be given the Halo 2/Halo 3 health system where there is only a shield bar and if it is down it is likely you start taking health/armor damage but will fully regen eventually.
However the biggest thing I can see these Promethean Knights can bring to the table is Armor Abilities. Especially since you could give them some broken abilities like Teleport, a Deployable Sentrythat isn't trash maybe a Watcher that will immediately rez you if you die before it is destroyed. You could go all out with these armor abilities because we are talking about a race that reached the pinnacle of technology. Heck maybe you could even make an Ammo Recharge ability. Oh what is this I hear? Oh yeah that golden triangle, listen they are not going to be load out armor abilities, you will have to collect them from the map, also I think when armor abilities make a return there should be an option to adjust the duration and regen of individual armor abilities. These armor abilities are prime candidates for turning the regen off.

Now for gametypes when plays as a Promethean Knight. Well a spinoff promethean mini campaign would be interesting. However you could also program in a counter-op mode in which another player takes the role of enemies such as Promethean Knights. More of a PvE roll you could do a hunt mode where you are hunting Grunts or even the Flood which makes a lot of lore sense as these were part of the Flood/Forerunner war. They could also work as a Juggernaut similar to a suggestion I did with Brutes for those looking for a more PvP role. There could also be Promethean Slayer as a quick game type much like Elite Slayer or Brute Slayer.

I am going to take this time to also address Promethean Weapons and how they need a mechanic that separates them from being functionally UNSC weapons. Ammo Reload works with Brutes because those are viewed as a more primitive weapon when compared to the rest of the covenant arsenal. But for these there needs to be something. How about all Promethean Weapons hare the same ammo poll. Oh you are out of ammo for your Incendiary Cannon, pick up a Bolt Shot to give you an extra round. Now of course incendiary cannon will give more shots to a bolt shot than a bolt shot will give to the incendiary cannon but something to simulate the hardlight technology that all Promethean weapons use.

Yeah. Don’t forget that there are many different versions of the Knights, and the way they’ve fixed the hitbox to the body. Knights have a large body. They also have strong armor and a blade. Don’t forget about the ability where they can jump and lunge.

However the biggest thing I can see these Promethean Knights can bring to the table is Armor Abilities. Especially since you could give them some broken abilities like Teleport, a Deployable Sentrythat isn't trash maybe a Watcher that will immediately rez you if you die before it is destroyed. You could go all out with these armor abilities because we are talking about a race that reached the pinnacle of technology. Heck maybe you could even make an Ammo Recharge ability. Oh what is this I hear? Oh yeah that golden triangle, listen they are not going to be load out armor abilities, you will have to collect them from the map, also I think when armor abilities make a return there should be an option to adjust the duration and regen of individual armor abilities. These armor abilities are prime candidates for turning the regen off.

Yeah. Don’t forget that there are many different versions of the Knights, and the way they’ve fixed the hitbox to the body. Knights have a large body. They also have strong armor and a blade. Don’t forget about the ability where they can jump and lunge.
Well there has to be many different kinds of knights just as there were different kinds of brutes and different kinds of elites. But those differences can mostly be cosmetic, with the only game play differences (besides health and AI) is weapons and equipment. The only NPC that doesn't have many different types is well Marines and that is because they are not an enemy so there wasn't a need to make them all varied and what. I went into more detail on the UNSC Bestiary thread.

But as for the Knights the biggest thing (as with Brutes, ODST, Flood Combat form) is where they fit in. Other than Promethean Slayer this is a unique and sort of best put in asymmetric game types (i.e. juggernaut). The only enemy that should be balanced to be on par with Spartans are Elites. Everything else if you want a mechanic that is more than a reskin of a spartan should just consider that not everything is going to line up perfectly but there is more to Halo multiplayer than just 4v4 team slayer.

Another thing I was also thinking since Promethean Knight Armor Abilities would be so powerful, perhaps if they do come to multiplayer there should be like a key for Promethean and Flood Armor abilities. A Flood Vaccine could allow Spartan/Elites to equip flood abilities like leap or swipe while a composer AI chip could act as a key to equip Promethean Abilities like Teleport or Ammo recharge.

Well I am surprised the mods hadn't shut this down fr not being in the H5 forum. Anyways I posted in a thread about what characters would make for good playable avatars. Apparently that is only allowed in Halo 5 which is not going to get any more development.