Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Player Collision

OP Marlo S138

Not a fan when it comes to player collision in Halo Infinite. I understand it is frustrating bumping into your teammates, but at the same time it’s strange just phasing through them instead. Not to mention immersion breaking.

I hate phasing through people. It takes away from the game, and and fun of the game. Now there's no challenge in CQC with teammates. You can easily run out of a room when grenades are spammed in, even if your teammate is standing in the door. You just phase through him. Two, 3, 4 people can phase into each other and camp a weapon spawn.

The clan community has been using buddy jumps for years when it comes to training, climbing mountains, jumping walls, and infiltrating other clans' bases.

No more hilarious moments of jumping on your teammates' heads, getting ready to ambush a random who's walking around the corner. No more punching your teammates to say "Get the heck out of my way!" No more jumping on co-op players in campaign to reach higher areas.

Player collision NEEDS to be in Halo Infinite, as does friendly fire.

Anyway, very curious to see what people think of this...
Marlo S138 wrote:
Not a fan when it comes to player collision in Halo Infinite. I understand it is frustrating bumping into your teammates, but at the same time it’s strange just phasing through them instead. Not to mention immersion breaking

I hate phasing through people. It takes away from the game, and and fun of the game. Now there's no challenge in CQC with teammates. You can easily run out of a room when grenades are spammed in, even if your teammate is standing in the door. You just phase through him. Two, 3, 4 people can phase into each other and camp a weapon spawn.

The clan community has been using budding jumps for years when it comes to training, climbing mountains, jumping walls, and infiltrating other clans' bases.

No more hilarious moments of jumping on your teammates' heads, getting ready to ambush a random is just walking around the corner. No more punching your teammates to say "Get the heck out of my way!" No more jumping on co-op players in campaign to reach higher areas.

Anyway, very curious to see what people think of this. <!--/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_bodytext_210803_183933_374.sdocx-->
It's something I didn't know I needed until I tried it. I'm sick of getting damaged from my teammates going Leeroy Jenkins. It should be enabled via a eSports playlist though.
I wasn't a big fan of that either. It proved annoying when people would accidentally step through me and blind me from my shot.
I guess I didn't play enough to notice if you phase thru your teammates but I will say if the final product is like that it will be lame. While I do dislike bumping into others that is the way it should be... Players certainly shouldn't phase thru one another.
I think with no collision it makes things feel weird. I tried to melee someone and walked right through them and missed at least once. It makes things feel fake.
I have very mixed feelings about the no FF and no collision settings in the preview.

Part of me really likes friendly fire in Halo, because it really forces you to be careful about things like rockets and grenades. (Off topic for this post, so I'm probably not going to respond to quote-comments about this paragraph. )

Part of me also really likes the fact that player collision adds to the realism, and gives us hilarious things like 15 players stacked on top of each other on a flying hornet.

But honestly, the sheer growth in griefing that I've experienced over the last couple years (H5 BTB and current MCC BTB) has given me a very intense case of Post Betrayal Stress Disorder (PBSD 😁). To the point where I almost would rather have the loss of all of that simply so I don't get purposefully betrayed by teammates every third game or so...

It's a huge problem in MCC. The stricter time bans seem to have finally started adjusting player behavior to reduce it somewhat... but it took them being in place for what, a month? Longer? (I forget when the ban time got more strict, but it was pretty recent).

Hopefully FF and collision will be enabled in ranked play. Maybe... like I said, I'm torn lol.

Spoiler:
Show
I play halo at quite a high level in competitive playlists. I think player collision and even betraying is a pretty large part of competitive halo. In high level games you can't be careless with grenades and power weapons. I personally really dislike the lack of collision in Infinite. We need collision and friendly fire on at least in ranked playlists.
Agreed. Please add player collision and FF.
Marlo S138 wrote:
Not a fan when it comes to player collision in Halo Infinite. I understand it is frustrating bumping into your teammates, but at the same time it’s strange just phasing through them instead. Not to mention immersion breaking.

The clan community has been using buddy jumps for years when it comes to training, climbing mountains, jumping walls, and infiltrating other clans' bases.

No more hilarious moments of jumping on your teammates' heads, getting ready to ambush a random who's walking around the corner. No more punching your teammates to say "Get the heck out of my way!" No more jumping on co-op players in campaign to reach higher areas.

I really hope that this was just for the flights so they can get important feedback on new things and the current gameplay/sandbox.
NinjaCoby wrote:
Marlo S138 wrote:

I really hope that this was just for the flights so they can get important feedback on new things and the current gameplay/sandbox.
Turns out friendly fire is in ranked, and seemingly player collision as well. I'm not going to say FF or player collision are great. Plenty of people out there betraying for power weapons or blocking people in corners. But how often does that occur? I can't tell you the number of times I (and the enemy team too) got cheap kills because we were lobbing grenades down a hallway without having to worry about friends dying. Or another issue where people can phase through allies to avoid getting killed.
ErrantCM37 wrote:
NinjaCoby wrote:
Marlo S138 wrote:

Turns out friendly fire is in ranked, and seemingly player collision as well. I'm not going to say FF or player collision are great. Plenty of people out there betraying for power weapons or blocking people in corners. But how often does that occur? I can't tell you the number of times I (and the enemy team too) got cheap kills because we were lobbing grenades down a hallway without having to worry about friends dying. Or another issue where people can phase through allies to avoid getting killed.
Where did you get the info about collision in ranked? I’ve seen the source on friendly fire but nothing on player collision.
Make it a bot/coop/firefight only feature.
Don't wanna see it in social PVP.
I don't care if 343 doesn't want us betraying one another, but it allows too much ham to be able to toss out all the grenades onto an ongoing shootout with no consequences.
What’s worse, is that player physics are still there. So someone on your team can gravity hammer you off the map, and YOU get the penalty.
XenobyteZX wrote:
What’s worse, is that player physics are still there. So someone on your team can gravity hammer you off the map, and YOU get the penalty.
Yeah I noted that in a report, I don't think that's going to be in the final release.

I also strongly believe in having collision on everywhere, especially BTB.

It's hilarious when half the team runs into a tight space and quickly turn into armed roombas. :D
The lack of shenanigans and the fact that someone can just go "in" you literally makes it impossible to scope.
No mare using another body to jump crazy high no pile up of Spartan. It would be nice if it was back.
Agreed. Bring back collision in both social and competitive.
Yes
I'm sitting here giggling for myself. Why, because I have a vague memory of me saying that player collision could be removed as the next step in the effort to "mitigate griefing" years ago, in a friendly fire thread. I wasn't serious, I was merely explaining that griefing is possible without friendly fire and that through scope blocking, door blocking and so forth. Heck, I might even have said that in the end, the game would start feeling like you and a bunch of ghosts who can't interact with you, vs an enemy team. I need to look for it.

Having friendly fire removed is treating a symptom rather than taking a proper look at the cause. Sure, team mates betraying for various stuff is annoying, and then team killers who intentionally kill team mates are in a league of their own. Now, I have been betrayed, most likely more than 75%, or even 85% of those participating in arguments to remove Friendly Fire. Despite being betrayed for power weapons, vehicles, power ups and even battle rifle ammo, sometimes by different players in the same match, or a couple of times by the same player. I've accidentaly betrayed team mates in ways that have cost the team the match. Despite all of this, I'm for keeping friendly fire. There have been some hilarious betrayals as well, managed to shoot down my friends who was in a banshee, twice, in the same match, with a Wraith.

Now, with that in mind, I do understand the desire to remove friendly fire, even though I do not agree with it. Better betrayal detection system and overhauled ban punishment would go long ways to help against griefing. As I see removal of friendly fire as that shallows the gameplay. Heck, a simple team up with good randoms that didn't betray costs nothing and ensures you a pleasant experience, giving you the power to remove problem players. No need to become besties afterwards either. But, Player Collision, I can't grasp why player collision has been removed. Betrayals weren't that big of an issue before, so what behaviour prompted the disabling of collisions? The entire thing feels off, I'm not one to pull the immersion card either, because I feel things shouldn't be implemented to improve immersion, but make included things immersive. However going in and through players seriously removed any form of immersion. Of course there are gameplay impacts as well.