Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Please bin the grappling hook!

OP Ryan Mc 2007

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
After seing the game-play reveal i couldnt help but feel the grappling hook just doesnt belong! It looks out of place and the way chief whos built like a tank in all that armour is able to just sling himself towards ememies and around the map just doesnt sit right..... if you need it to progress further on the map and get up hights just keep the jet pack in the game!! That suits spartans so much better than a grappling hook!
While I don't think they will remove the grappling hook, the visual and sound designs should be changed to show that this thing is capable of moving a Mjolnir armour set.
It will not be removed, however I could see it’s gameplay being balanced if it proves detrimental to the gameplay.
I get being able to ‘Batman’ around the map but the whole pulling yourself towards your enemy just doesn’t jive well with me. How much does an elite weigh exactly? I can’t imagine it’s close to a Spartan (probably less than half I would guess with armor). It’ll be interesting to see it’s mechanics in depth but I feel like if you try to grapple hook/shot an elite or brute that they should just rip it off of them. I can see us grabbing grunts realistically but this seems to be more an attempt at bringing another games mechanics into the mix.

Let me be clear, I like the idea of being able to traverse the map with it though...just don’t find any merit in a Spartan being “pulled” towards the elite/brute. Idk...just my
opinion.
I wouldn't use realism as your major point for it to be removed...my multiplayer Spartan balancing on the edge of a tree branch on the H3 map High Ground has an objection.

Perhaps a better question would be to ask why would we want to grapple forward to an enemy in the first place? In multiplayer, close proximity usually ends up in a trade and in campaign (heroic or legendary) you will probably die en route or by a single melee upon arrival.
qlimm wrote:
I wouldn't use realism as your major point for it to be removed...my multiplayer Spartan balancing on the edge of a tree branch on the H3 map High Ground has an objection.

Perhaps a better question would be to ask why would we want to grapple forward to an enemy in the first place? In multiplayer, close proximity usually ends up in a trade and in campaign (heroic or legendary) you will probably die en route or by a single melee upon arrival.
I can understand not wanting to grapple at an enemy in multiplayer, because that would probably not end well. I was thinking they could implement the grappling hook into a grifball like gamemode where you can use it to grab the ball from enemy players or lunge at them with a hammer or sword.
Are Spartans still half a tonne? Have they not cut back the weight now that they're in Gen III? Everything else has been streamlined.
No thank you I think it looks really fun. Love grappling hooks. As far as it making sense lore wise... Halo is sci fi with power armour and light speed travel, I don't see why some people think it's unrealistic to think they could create a grappling device that can pull the weight of a spartan.
After seing the game-play reveal i couldnt help but feel the grappling hook just doesnt belong! It looks out of place and the way chief whos built like a tank in all that armour is able to just sling himself towards ememies and around the map just doesnt sit right..... if you need it to progress further on the map and get up hights just keep the jet pack in the game!! That suits spartans so much better than a grappling hook!
A thousand times, yes! That grappling hook really doesn't belong in Halo, it is quite evident they just threw it in because that Doom game had it. But I don't agree with bringing back the jetpack, I didn't quite like that either. Getting to higher places can be achieved through the use of gravity lifts, wind lifts, actual lifts, and...ladde— no, nobody wants those, I guess...
I get that some people aren’t a fan of the grapple hook, and that’s fine.

But I wouldn’t use canon/lore physics to justify its removal. By that way of thinking, half the content of the games would have to be changed.

Also, if humanity has the capability to build space elevators that can haul tons of cargo into space, I’m sure they are capable of making a cable and a motor powerful enough to lift a single Spartan.

Personally, I’m exited to see more of it, and what it can do.
I'm excited to see what the grappling hook can do.
From the gameplay trailer, it seems fun to fling yourself into an enemy or yeet fusion coils at people.
In multiplayer its a pickup, not a thing you spawn with.
I agree, grappling hooks are the worst idea since jetpacks and selling colors. I hope some devs lose their jobs over these absurdly terrible ideas. How did anyone give these things the "ok?"
Honestly keep the grappling hook but under one condition.

Bring back gadgets from Halo 3 and add the grappling hook as one of them. It's a pickup and one time use which would balance it pretty well in both campaign and multiplayer.
The ‘Grappleshot’ would be a perfect addition to the sandbox if it could only be used to pull objects towards the player.

It could also be interesting in multiplayer. Being able to pull (power)weapons, fusion coils and grenades towards the player, with limited use of course. It would be a power weapon in of itself.
I think if it is there to stay and is a major accessory throughout the campaign they should atleast change it so you (chief) arent pulling yourself towards the enemy and instead are pulling them towards you! I dont like that he zips to them would make him seem more concrete and heavy and show off his strength if he can atleast fire the grapple at the enemies then pull them towards him but maybe have it only work on covenant and not brutes as the brutes are absolute beast and alot more bully than elites and other covenant such as grunts and jackals etc but personally in my opinion i think they should bin it altogether sick of 343 trying to add new things all the time and change the halo games so drastically! Keep them simple like they used to be!
Honestly I think that’s a perspective thing. I personally loved the look of it especially grabbing object and such. If they got rid of it I would personally hate a generic copy pasted gameplay of old halos.
I think the color coating system is more of an issue than the grappling hook right now.
Honestly keep the grappling hook but under one condition.

Bring back gadgets from Halo 3 and add the grappling hook as one of them. It's a pickup and one time use which would balance it pretty well in both campaign and multiplayer.
I don't know if you saw the gameplay demo, but equipment is back (you see Chief use some kind of deployable barrier in the demo), and in multiplayer that's exactly what the Grappleshot will be. It's only built-in in the campaign, and even then its functionality is subject to change.
Accio Beer wrote:
I agree, grappling hooks are the worst idea since jetpacks and selling colors. I hope some devs lose their jobs over these absurdly terrible ideas. How did anyone give these things the "ok?"
Well now, that is a bit much...I don't like the grappling hook's inclusion at all, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to lose their job over it! Selling colours, though...not a good idea.

One thing I am excited for, however, is the ability to pick up fusion coils! I've always thought it would be great if I could chuck those things around, and going by the campaign demo, you don't have to use the grappling hook to do so. Now 'kicking a fusion coil' from 100 Ways to Die in Halo 3 will return in Halo Infinite as 'throwing a fusion coil'...
While I don't think they will remove the grappling hook, the visual and sound designs should be changed to show that this thing is capable of moving a Mjolnir armour set.
I agree, based on what I remember, the Mjolnir armor chief wears weighs about half a tonn, or about 1000 pounds, a grappling hook would need to be beefy to move it easily, it should sound like it, and not function like say the Just Cause grappling hook
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3