Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Please Bring Back Dual Wielding

OP SkullCrush3r114

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
There are probably posts about this already but I couldn't find any but one thing in Halo Infinite I would love to see return is dual wielding! I always loved the different combos you could come up with for different results in gameplay, and honestly it was just fun to run up to an enemy and then just unload on them.
I loved me some dual weilding. Would support it.
They have to bring it back. It's easier that switching weapons after every shot. Plus it is fun to hear the roaring sounds each combo makes.
All it does is make sure that dual weapons that are balanced must either suck as 1 weapon, or be invisibly nerfed in some way when dual wielded.
There's always the plasma pistol + headshot weapon combo, but it's not like that's new.

I'd probably try to get creative with it. They like Forerunner guns with all these moving parts, perhaps they could make a shape-shifting gun that has dual and single modes with different types of fire and utility?
Diovangelo wrote:
All it does is make sure that dual weapons that are balanced must either suck as 1 weapon, or be invisibly nerfed in some way when dual wielded.
There's always the plasma pistol + headshot weapon combo, but it's not like that's new.

I'd probably try to get creative with it. They like Forerunner guns with all these moving parts, perhaps they could make a shape-shifting gun that has dual and single modes with different types of fire and utility?
As you mentioned, the reason dual wielding was removed in the first place was because it doesn't really add anything to the game. If you dual wield SMGs, for example, they can't be overpowered, which means a single SMG is underpowered. You can look at just about every dual wieldable weapon and see that there was hardly ever an excuse to use just one of them.
I know there are a multitude of reasons to not have dual wielding in multiplayer, but I’m still hoping it’s available in campaign. If nothing else, it was just so damn cool to use two Plasma Rifles to rip through Flood.
Dual wielding in Halo 3 was pretty fun. It would be nice to see it in Infinite. Plowing through aliens with a two automatic weapons would be twice as fun.
How about more weapons that take both hands? Like some big uber guns *Thinks of the literal canon in serious Sam*
Best thing halo did was get rid of dual wielding , I for one hope it never returns .
Diovangelo wrote:

This. Plus it's return would represent an undoing of some of the meaningful sandbox re-balancing changes 343i sought to implement in H4/H5. Making most weapons viable again is very much appreciated! ODST/Reach removed dual wielding but neglected to undo the damage it had done to the sandbox.

Besides, in SP, dual wielding was really only justified with the Plasma Pistol. I can think of only one place in H2 where it actually helped: Cairo's hangars and the bomb room. For the bomb room, the strat I had in mind after exiting the elevator was to duck behind either the left (after punching the small scenery object on top of it off) or right box as cover to fire charged shots from. The Elites would stand still firing instead of strafing around but they couldn't really land a shot on you.

For the second Cairo hangar:
I cooked up a highly risky alternate approach which made temporary use of the magnum over BR: https://streamable.com/ow4n7
Thankfully, the magnum wasn't as worthless as it is in H3. The plus side of dual wielding here is you didn't have to hold X near the turret in order to pick up the Grunt's plasma pistol. Then you could melee the nearby box and use it as cover against the Elites (a strat which sees full usage in SLASO runs) instead of fighting from the railing. The two main issues with my strat were that the plasma pistol often landed on the ground below and the Grunt tends to stick you with his nade.

And in normal speedruns, dual wielding plasma pistols helps a lot for intercepting the 2 Ultras flanking the Elite Zealot.

As for H3, the Chieftain battles on Crow's and at the end of Ark come to mind. Otherwise, one plasma pistol was good enough for most encounters. Although I did appreciate the unintended glitches that could result from dual wielding i.e. weaponless player, holding 3 weapons, single-wielding hammer/sword with Elites(?), and some minor conveniences (faster juggling).
If they were to bring it back what I think would be best for them to do is implement a new type of system where for example, have each gun that would be dual wieldable have its specific stats, but then when you dual wield the weapon it doesn't just 2x the damage, (it only goes up by 1.5% or something like that) it would have its own values just so the guns on their own wouldn't be super weak. That's just an idea but with the advancements in technology since Halo 3 I think they could find a way to make it work or implement a new type of system for it.
You see, this is why I play Halo 3 so much. Halo 3's sandbox was at the peak of all Halo games. It was so fun. It had items, dual wielding, playable elites, EVERYTHING. And then ODST, REACH and 4 removed them.
Dual-wielding was a very fun part of H2 and H3's sandbox for lots of people. It should be brought back, and only requires some smart implementation to make is feasible.
There are ways it make it balanced IMO.
I am a weirdo who didn't really care whether or not it was in the game. Very indifferent. I did hate the nerfed pistol from Halo 2. I understand the changes for Multiplayer but it's never felt right in the campaign since Halo C:E.
Dual weilding is a great feature that I have greatly missed in the other games. I understand for lore reasons why Halo: Reach didn't have it, but there is no excuse for Halo 4 and 5 not having it. Halo Infinite should have it.
Without a radical overhaul of both how dual wielding works and the dual wielding sandbox itself I don't want it to return.

1.) Dual wieldable weapons must be able to be holstered without dropping the other weapon
2.) Dual wieldable weapon must be able to melee without dropping the other weapon. I feel like trading grenades for more firepower is already a fair tradeoff and generally speaking I don't want people giving up 2/3rds of the golden triangle just for dual wielding.
3.) The Dual wielding sandbox must be mechanically diverse and not limited to close range only bullet hoses like they were in Halo 2/3. There must be options for close, medium, and long range. For example if a weapon like the Suppressed SMG is able to use a scope when used by itself it should be able to be used while dual wielding. The weapons themselves also need unique properties that would make them useful outside of dual wielding such as thePlasma Pistol overcharge or Plasma stun
4.) All dual wielding combo's must be viable to one degree or another. There shouldn't be any instances ala Halo 2 where the only weapon you would realistically dual wield with a Needler is another Needler or where the Plasma Rifle+SMG/Spiker combo is just overall the best for damage.

If you can't manage all that without breaking overall balance then dual wielding should stay gone.
ugh, no. Just no. It never felt right, the weapon balance was way off.
WerepyreND wrote:
Without a radical overhaul of both how dual wielding works and the dual wielding sandbox itself I don't want it to return.
1.) Dual wieldable weapons must be able to be holstered without dropping the other weapon
2.) Dual wieldable weapon must be able to melee without dropping the other weapon. I feel like trading grenades for more firepower is already a fair tradeoff and generally speaking I don't want people giving up 2/3rds of the golden triangle just for dual wielding.
3.) The Dual wielding sandbox must be mechanically diverse and not limited to close range only bullet hoses like they were in Halo 2/3. There must be options for close, medium, and long range. For example if a weapon like the Suppressed SMG is able to use a scope when used by itself it should be able to be used while dual wielding. The weapons themselves also need unique properties that would make them useful outside of dual wielding such as thePlasma Pistol overcharge or Plasma stun
4.) All dual wielding combo's must be viable to one degree or another. There shouldn't be any instances ala Halo 2 where the only weapon you would realistically dual wield with a Needler is another Needler or where the Plasma Rifle+SMG/Spiker combo is just overall the best for damage.

If you can't manage all that without breaking overall balance then dual wielding should stay gone.
I understand but those would all be improvements to dual wielding like sequel games are supposed to do. The only improvement Halo 3 made over Halo 2 were additional weapons like the spiker.

You could limit dual wielding to campaign only and keep it out of multiplayer as an option.

If you do "holster" the weapon instead of dropping, it should take a little bit longer to throw a grenade and switch weapons. Melee shouldn't take longer because it still the same concept, you're just bashing someone over the head with your gun.
I loved me some dual weilding. Would support it.
Me too.
It kinda doesnt make sense to me why dual weilding wasnt in reach, or in 4 and/or 5. (not sure if I should add ODST to that list since I dont clearly remember it) I mean all you do is grab a pistol-sized gun in one hand, and another firearm of the same size and then point and shoot. Its not as if you'd need special software to do something THAT easy. So when they said "no dual-weilding in halo 5 multiplayer" I thought it both ridiculous and a real pity that players can no longer gain the advantage over their opponents by picking up a couple of SMG's and go crazy with 'em. Please 343 bring it back ;)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2