Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Please don’t force the coating system onto emblems

OP Lepidus

I saw a Tweet about this the other day, so I’m bringing the topic here for more discourse. Coatings on emblems might sound like a crazy and drastic change, but then again, so did armor coatings at first. I really, really hope 343 keeps the primary/secondary/tertiary color system in place. The only Infinite emblems we’ve seen so far are the ones from the Monster Energy promotion, which are colored lime green (no surprise there). But if the paint is either preset or earned/bought in the form of coatings like with armor, I feel like it’s gonna be a bad sign.
Highly doubt emblems will be affected by armor coating. Color schemes on armor and emblems were always seperate.
Ken Static wrote:
Highly doubt emblems will be affected by armor coating. Color schemes on armor and emblems were always seperate.
Halo 5 launched with set color selections for Emblems.
You couldn't mix and match colors freely.
The backlash was huge and they later patched it.

Who's to say they won't try that again?
Naqser wrote:
Ken Static wrote:

343 remembers the feedback. They don't outright ignore the fans like Nintendo.
Ken Static wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Ken Static wrote:

343 remembers the feedback. They're don't outright ignore the fans like Nintendo.
They ignored feedback for years, look at the sidekick and bulldog and remember the whole H5 rocket launcher fiasco
Ken Static wrote:
343 remembers the feedback. They're don't outright ignore the fans like Nintendo.
This is a joke, right?
Ignoring feedback is 343's prime MO.
  • Halo 4 art style was heavily criticised. H5G changes even more designs, like Covenant verhicles, the rocket launcher, various Covenant weapons like the plasma pistol or the needler, etc.
  • People hated the Microtransactions and loot boxes in H5G. 343 claims they are "well liked" and puts them in Halo Wars 2.
  • Fans didn't like Spartan-IVs, claiming they don't seem as professional and capable as S-II's. 343 forces you to play as them for 12 out of 15 missions in the campaign and makes them even less likeable in multiplayer by including dudebro behaviour after every match.
  • And so on, and so forth...
If we are able to craft coatings I’m fine with it but if I need to pay for it I don’t like it. And please don’t make it to grindy. I like to have something to do but don’t be like “5k kill to get one chance on a coating” ;)
My guess is that emblems will either be stuck with a preset colour scheme that can't be changed, or can be changed using the armour coatings. That second option doesn't make much sense to me, however. There could possibly be a third option: Emblems colours can be changed freely like other Halo games. This is highly unlikely though, because with how 343 removed the old colour system for armour, leaving it for emblems would annoy many players, and rightly so.

And what about 'weapon emblems'? What are they? Just emblems on your weapon? What is the point of that...? I just want emblems to display on my armour like in Halo 2 and 3. I know a couple other games had that, but I mentioned these two games because that is where it is most noticeable.
If we are able to craft coatings I’m fine with it but if I need to pay for it I don’t like it. And please don’t make it to grindy. I like to have something to do but don’t be like “5k kill to get one chance on a coating” ;)
If MCC is any indication of how 343 is gonna handle the grind for coatings, it’ll be “reach Rank 419 in the sweatiest competitive/ranked playlist”. 😅
Ken Static wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Ken Static wrote:

Big difference on remembering feedback, and acting on it.
Let's say they did remember it, why would they then make armor coating coloring be worse than what we had with the emblems on Halo 5?
Naqser wrote:
Ken Static wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Ken Static wrote:

Big difference on remembering feedback, and acting on it.
Let's say they did remember it, why would they then make armor coating coloring be worse than what we had with the emblems on Halo 5?
At the end of the day, Microsoft’s gotta get dat money. Nothing 343 can really do about it, but their complicity is disappointing nonetheless.
Ken Static wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Ken Static wrote:
343 remembers the feedback. They don't outright ignore the fans
Thanks. I needed a laugh.
I think this coating garbage guarantees there will be a battle royale mode. You don't need to buy a green color palette if the game defaults to red versus blue. I'm dreading this game.
Accio Beer wrote:
I think this coating garbage guarantees there will be a battle royale mode. You don't need to buy a green color palette if the game defaults to red versus blue. I'm dreading this game.
I don’t doubt the game will have a BR either, but I wouldn’t dismiss the popularity of modes like Infection, Firefight, and FFA when it comes to players wanting a cool color combo.