Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Please help explain this to me

OP Irin SIV

Hello, so I have seen people talk about mendicant bias and how they want him in infinite. I could never quite understand why after I watch and read some lore. If someone could please respectfully evaluate for me, that would be nice.
Hmm lemme see

Others know more than me, but I'm thinking people want another AI to step into the storyline since Cortana & The Created are doing their own thing. Mendicant is a super advanced Forerunner AI who turned to the Flood side of the force through a Gravemind's Logic Plague. He led the Flood in the Forerunner-Flood war until he was defeated by Offensive Bias.

Later, what was left of Mendicant regretted turning on his creators and if I am correct, fragments of him have been active and communicating with Master Chief or Cortana or Guilty Spark, as a sort of penance, but he is rarely or never mentioned by name (I think), and doesn't wield much power as far as I know.

His "core" may be stored on a particular Halo as well. Being a fallen AI who has reformed can be a cool story angle. Perhaps the former Forerunner military ancilla can be a valuable weapon against another dangerous AI that the UNSC's most powerful assets are currently running from.
A popular theory about Infinite is that it will take place at least partially on Installation 07, a Halo ring that has a lot of historical significance. Installation 07 is where Mendicant Bias's core (ie main housing unit) was located. There is also a theory rolling around that Mendicant Bias is responsible for having brought the Spirit of Fire to the Ark. So there are a few reasons why people seem to think Mendicant Bias could be in Infinite. As for why'd they want that, it's probably because he's an interesting character.

However, the established lore contradicts the notion that Mendicant Bias could show up in Infinite. In the final terminal of Halo 3, Mendicant Bias messages Chief, telling him he followed Chief to the replacement Halo and planned to die there. He also told the Chief that he would protect him on his path, implying that it was Mendicant who kept the ring stable enough for Chief to drive back to the Forward Unto Dawn. Given that the replacement ring shook itself to pieces, it's unlikely that Mendicant Bias survived. Personally, I feel like bringing back Mendicant Bias would be a mistake; I feel like his redemption in Halo 3 was solidified by his sacrifice, and bringing him back would cheapen it, much like Cortana's survival cheapened the end of Halo 4.
Mendicant Bias has been teased as a key character as far back as Halo 2, and people are looking forward to seeing him play a significant role in the mainline story going forward because he is one of the most important characters in the entire lore. He's an interesting character with interesting history and motives.

I would be disapointed if he isnt included in some significant capacity in the reclaimer saga, as well as a few other interesting storyline that have been introduced in the Forerunner novels.
Chimera30 wrote:
A popular theory about Infinite is that it will take place at least partially on Installation 07, a Halo ring that has a lot of historical significance. Installation 07 is where Mendicant Bias's core (ie main housing unit) was located. There is also a theory rolling around that Mendicant Bias is responsible for having brought the Spirit of Fire to the Ark. So there are a few reasons why people seem to think Mendicant Bias could be in Infinite. As for why'd they want that, it's probably because he's an interesting character.

However, the established lore contradicts the notion that Mendicant Bias could show up in Infinite. In the final terminal of Halo 3, Mendicant Bias messages Chief, telling him he followed Chief to the replacement Halo and planned to die there. He also told the Chief that he would protect him on his path, implying that it was Mendicant who kept the ring stable enough for Chief to drive back to the Forward Unto Dawn. Given that the replacement ring shook itself to pieces, it's unlikely that Mendicant Bias survived. Personally, I feel like bringing back Mendicant Bias would be a mistake; I feel like his redemption in Halo 3 was solidified by his sacrifice, and bringing him back would cheapen it, much like Cortana's survival cheapened the end of Halo 4.
Thanks this really gives me an idea of why people want him.
Mendicant Bias has been teased as a key character as far back as Halo 2, and people are looking forward to seeing him play a significant role in the mainline story going forward because he is one of the most important characters in the entire lorhimarae. He's an interesting character with interesting history and motives.

I would be disapointed if he isnt included in some significant capacity in the reclaimer saga, as well as a few other interesting storyline that have been introduced in the Forerunner novels.
I don't think you should be disappointed that he's not in the game since he supposedly sacrificed himself (according to chimara 30). If you expect something, you might not get it and will be disappointed. Just don't expect mendicant to be in the game, just think maybe he will or maybe he won't. Additionally, the average player most likely does not know about mendicant and does not give a care for him, so it might be hard for 343 to play it off. Other than that, thank you for your response.
Irin SIV wrote:
Mendicant Bias has been teased as a key character as far back as Halo 2, and people are looking forward to seeing him play a significant role in the mainline story going forward because he is one of the most important characters in the entire lorhimarae. He's an interesting character with interesting history and motives.

I don't think you should be disappointed that he's not in the game since he supposedly sacrificed himself (according to chimara 30). If you expect something, you might not get it and will be disappointed. Just don't expect mendicant to be in the game, just think maybe he will or maybe he won't. Additionally, the average player most likely does not know about mendicant and does not give a care for him, so it might be hard for 343 to play it off. Other than that, thank you for your response.
The average player didnt know who the Didact was and he was the central villian in Halo 4. Same with Blue Team in Halo 5. Its not hard to incorporate EU material into the main games as long as they are introduced in a way where players can at least understand the jist of who they are and why they are there.

IMO Mendicant Bias would be rather easy to incorporate into Halo 6, because the events of the Foreunner/Flood war and the conclusion of that war have already been discussed and explained in Halo 4. Most of the groundwork has already been laid.

But yes, I had forgotten that MB had transferred himself to Installation 04B before its destruction, so I will admit that he has likely been destroyed. However, if 343 can find a way to bring back fragments of 343 Guilty Spark after his destruction on installation 04B, then I'll still hold out hope that there are some remaining 'fragments' of Mendicant Bias somewhere on the Ark.
I never even thought about this till now lol.