Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Please keep armor and spartan ability’s

OP baconboy100017

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. ...
  8. 8
I won't even get into what other games came out then, but there was a crap load of options, but COD definitely wasn't winning during Halo 1-3 times. Halo 3 destroyed COD. Not only that, it went up against 4 COD games in it's lifetime before Reach came out. You want to know when people started to transition to COD more, during Halo Reach. The Halo game that didn't star the Master Chief and added all these things that the majority of people didn't want in there Halo game (I don't think I need to list them) That is when COD became "king" of console FPS. That is when Halo started to loose it's fans and it's popularity in general with people and in just mainstream life.

Funny how that happen when Halo started to drastically change how it was played for the last x years....
While it's true that CoD really wasn't that relevant when Halo CE and 2 were popular, the same can't be said about Halo 3. As much as Halo 3 still managed to remain competitive it certainly "destroy" CoD. When CoD 4 released a bit over month after Halo 3, it made for some fierce competition, and spent most of 2008 as number one on the weekly XBL activity chart, with Halo 3 reclaiming the spot only on few weeks throughout the year. When CoD: WaW released, it split the popularity of CoD, allowing Halo 3 a bit more time in the first place. It's fairly certain though that combined CoD 4 and WaW were way more popular than Halo 3. Then MW2 was the final nail in the coffin, and Halo 3 never regained the first place after its release. All of this information is summarized in this graph.

In retrospect, Halo 3 only barely managed to compete with CoD due to the momentum it had. Considering the rise of CoD through 2008-2009, well in the prime of halo 3, it's hard to imagine a situation where CoD wouldn't have become the king of Xbox. Perhaps if something much more traditional had been released in place of Reach, it might have held second place, but would have been unlikely to take the top spot for much longer than the release of the next CoD, for by mid 2009, CoD was king.
tsassi wrote:
I won't even get into what other games came out then, but there was a crap load of options, but COD definitely wasn't winning during Halo 1-3 times. Halo 3 destroyed COD. Not only that, it went up against 4 COD games in it's lifetime before Reach came out. You want to know when people started to transition to COD more, during Halo Reach. The Halo game that didn't star the Master Chief and added all these things that the majority of people didn't want in there Halo game (I don't think I need to list them) That is when COD became "king" of console FPS. That is when Halo started to loose it's fans and it's popularity in general with people and in just mainstream life.

Funny how that happen when Halo started to drastically change how it was played for the last x years....
While it's true that CoD really wasn't that relevant when Halo CE and 2 were popular, the same can't be said about Halo 3. As much as Halo 3 still managed to remain competitive it certainly "destroy" CoD. When CoD 4 released a bit over month after Halo 3, it made for some fierce competition, and spent most of 2008 as number one on the weekly XBL activity chart, with Halo 3 reclaiming the spot only on few weeks throughout the year. When CoD: WaW released, it split the popularity of CoD, allowing Halo 3 a bit more time in the first place. It's fairly certain though that combined CoD 4 and WaW were way more popular than Halo 3. Then MW2 was the final nail in the coffin, and Halo 3 never regained the first place after its release. All of this information is summarized in this graph.

In retrospect, Halo 3 only barely managed to compete with CoD due to the momentum it had. Considering the rise of CoD through 2008-2009, well in the prime of halo 3, it's hard to imagine a situation where CoD wouldn't have become the king of Xbox. Perhaps if something much more traditional had been released in place of Reach, it might have held second place, but would have been unlikely to take the top spot for much longer than the release of the next CoD, for by mid 2009, CoD was king.
I don't disagree with anything you put and knew all that as well, I just didn't want to get super hardcore into it lol. I 100% agree that COD would of gotten to top spot eventually yes, but it can't be a coincidence that Halo stop being the "in" thing during Halo reach's time (if you want me to elaborate on the in thing I'll gladly do so) I know there are a lot of factors in play there nor would I suggest it's any one thing but there has to be something to it though.

As a side note, Personally, and this is just my personal opinion, I think if Halo didn't start straying so far away from it's passed games (Halo 1-3) it would still be a very relevant title for Xbox. I'm not saying keep it the exact same either. Would it be number 1 or the best selling Xbox game? maybe not... but it would still very much be a "thing" As much as I love Halo and it pains me to say this but I would argue that Halo isn't even the face of Xbox anymore nor do many people even consider it relevant, if they even know it at all. A person could easily make the case that Froza is the face of Xbox now.

I'm a older gamer, 37, I've been around since almost the beginning of video games and I've seen a lot. When I have cousins or friends kids ask me things like "oh what are you playing? and I say Halo, and they say what's that?? Or "oh I've heard of that game I think but I've never played it" That's all the evidence I need do you know that Halo isn't very relevant anymore. Where as before people might not like Halo or maybe even of played it but they certainly knew what it was. Something needs to definitely change with Halo because what they've been doing the last few games now just isn't working.
tsassi wrote:
I won't even get into what other games came out then, but there was a crap load of options, but COD definitely wasn't winning during Halo 1-3 times. Halo 3 destroyed COD. Not only that, it went up against 4 COD games in it's lifetime before Reach came out. You want to know when people started to transition to COD more, during Halo Reach. The Halo game that didn't star the Master Chief and added all these things that the majority of people didn't want in there Halo game (I don't think I need to list them) That is when COD became "king" of console FPS. That is when Halo started to loose it's fans and it's popularity in general with people and in just mainstream life.

Funny how that happen when Halo started to drastically change how it was played for the last x years....
While it's true that CoD really wasn't that relevant when Halo CE and 2 were popular, the same can't be said about Halo 3. As much as Halo 3 still managed to remain competitive it certainly "destroy" CoD. When CoD 4 released a bit over month after Halo 3, it made for some fierce competition, and spent most of 2008 as number one on the weekly XBL activity chart, with Halo 3 reclaiming the spot only on few weeks throughout the year. When CoD: WaW released, it split the popularity of CoD, allowing Halo 3 a bit more time in the first place. It's fairly certain though that combined CoD 4 and WaW were way more popular than Halo 3. Then MW2 was the final nail in the coffin, and Halo 3 never regained the first place after its release. All of this information is summarized in this graph.

In retrospect, Halo 3 only barely managed to compete with CoD due to the momentum it had. Considering the rise of CoD through 2008-2009, well in the prime of halo 3, it's hard to imagine a situation where CoD wouldn't have become the king of Xbox. Perhaps if something much more traditional had been released in place of Reach, it might have held second place, but would have been unlikely to take the top spot for much longer than the release of the next CoD, for by mid 2009, CoD was king.
Completely agree with this.

MW1 planted the seed that would lead to Halo's declined in popularity and when MW2 released the gaming landscape had changed - there was now a higher profile, equally polished and more accessible FPS on the market – this was always going to drag a good number halo players (and potential Halo players) away. It was mainstream too, something Halo never managed (in the uk at least) I'd hear people talk about CoD that weren't big gamers, it was talked about in the same breath as FIFA, there was a real buzz around it, Halo just couldn't compete with this - no matter what style of Halo game was released.
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Nope, they should get rid of them because they affect the golden triangle of Halo. Halo needs to go back to classic gameplay or Halo will die.
After nearly twenty years, the golden triangle isn't that great, especially for Halo fans like me who don't obsess over MLG and esports. And let's be real, the games haven't changed much. Same gameplay repackaged with new gimmicks. Reverting back to an earlier iteration of a stagnant franchise isn't going to help.
And this continuation of modern mechanics has actually made the franchise worse when it comes to word of mouth and population numbers
That's not true for everyone. I stopped playing Halo 5 for a number of reasons, and not one of them is spartan abilities, and or modern mechanics. I view them as something to adapt to, not a deal breaker.
For you obviously not but I've had former friends all the way back to when reach was released who left because they didnt like things like sprint being added to halo.I remember release day of halo 4 the population the first time I got on was a little under 350 k and within months they lost like 75 of their population because of how similar it was to Cod.New mechanics have driven away alot of the former fanbase and has really hindered the older veterans like myself who still prefer classic gameplay
I can't disagree that some of the player base moved on because of the changes to the game. However, modern mechanics, loadouts and movement are not the only reason. I'm as verteran as you get when it comes to Halo, I bought an Xbox to play to Halo Combat evolved, I'm an old man too, I'm in my fifties, and the last thing I want is a reskinned Halo 3. 343i need to find a way to cater to all the players, not just the older generation.
Because removing advanced movement means no changes or additions elsewhere in the game? Reverting the game to a "reskin" of a previous installment?That aside, I don't really care for the popularity, I want a game I can enjoy.
No, I just don't want a reskin of Halo 3 every two years, and there's a portion of the community that would settle for that. All things aside, your last sentence nails it for me, I want a fun game I can enjoy. That's the most important thing imo. Halo has lost players for many reasons, not just advanced movement, if they make a game I enjoy I'll play it.
eviltedi wrote:
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Nope, they should get rid of them because they affect the golden triangle of Halo. Halo needs to go back to classic gameplay or Halo will die.
After nearly twenty years, the golden triangle isn't that great, especially for Halo fans like me who don't obsess over MLG and esports. And let's be real, the games haven't changed much. Same gameplay repackaged with new gimmicks. Reverting back to an earlier iteration of a stagnant franchise isn't going to help.
And this continuation of modern mechanics has actually made the franchise worse when it comes to word of mouth and population numbers
That's not true for everyone. I stopped playing Halo 5 for a number of reasons, and not one of them is spartan abilities, and or modern mechanics. I view them as something to adapt to, not a deal breaker.
For you obviously not but I've had former friends all the way back to when reach was released who left because they didnt like things like sprint being added to halo.I remember release day of halo 4 the population the first time I got on was a little under 350 k and within months they lost like 75 of their population because of how similar it was to Cod.New mechanics have driven away alot of the former fanbase and has really hindered the older veterans like myself who still prefer classic gameplay
I can't disagree that some of the player base moved on because of the changes to the game. However, modern mechanics, loadouts and movement are not the only reason. I'm as verteran as you get when it comes to Halo, I bought an Xbox to play to Halo Combat evolved, I'm an old man too, I'm in my fifties, and the last thing I want is a reskinned Halo 3. 343i need to find a way to cater to all the players, not just the older generation.
Because removing advanced movement means no changes or additions elsewhere in the game? Reverting the game to a "reskin" of a previous installment?That aside, I don't really care for the popularity, I want a game I can enjoy.
No, I just don't want a reskin of Halo 3 every two years, and there's a portion of the community that would settle for that. All things aside, your last sentence nails it for me, I want a fun game I can enjoy. That's the most important thing imo. Halo has lost players for many reasons, not just advanced movement, if they make a game I enjoy I'll play it.
You were the first person in that quote chain to mention Halo 3. No one implied that they want a reskinned Halo 3. So while it's true that there exists a collection of people who would be satisfied with that, when you bring it up like that, you're just building yourself a strawman. Removing Spartan Abilities does not make the game a reskin of Halo 3. Wanting rid of Spartan Abilities doesn't mean wanting a reskin of Halo 3. As far as I'm concerned, Halo 3 is completely irrelevant to this discussion, because it's a bad representative of classic movement.
eviltedi wrote:
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Nope, they should get rid of them because they affect the golden triangle of Halo. Halo needs to go back to classic gameplay or Halo will die.
After nearly twenty years, the golden triangle isn't that great, especially for Halo fans like me who don't obsess over MLG and esports. And let's be real, the games haven't changed much. Same gameplay repackaged with new gimmicks. Reverting back to an earlier iteration of a stagnant franchise isn't going to help.
And this continuation of modern mechanics has actually made the franchise worse when it comes to word of mouth and population numbers
That's not true for everyone. I stopped playing Halo 5 for a number of reasons, and not one of them is spartan abilities, and or modern mechanics. I view them as something to adapt to, not a deal breaker.
For you obviously not but I've had former friends all the way back to when reach was released who left because they didnt like things like sprint being added to halo.I remember release day of halo 4 the population the first time I got on was a little under 350 k and within months they lost like 75 of their population because of how similar it was to Cod.New mechanics have driven away alot of the former fanbase and has really hindered the older veterans like myself who still prefer classic gameplay
I can't disagree that some of the player base moved on because of the changes to the game. However, modern mechanics, loadouts and movement are not the only reason. I'm as verteran as you get when it comes to Halo, I bought an Xbox to play to Halo Combat evolved, I'm an old man too, I'm in my fifties, and the last thing I want is a reskinned Halo 3. 343i need to find a way to cater to all the players, not just the older generation.
Because removing advanced movement means no changes or additions elsewhere in the game? Reverting the game to a "reskin" of a previous installment?That aside, I don't really care for the popularity, I want a game I can enjoy.
No, I just don't want a reskin of Halo 3 every two years, and there's a portion of the community that would settle for that. All things aside, your last sentence nails it for me, I want a fun game I can enjoy. That's the most important thing imo. Halo has lost players for many reasons, not just advanced movement, if they make a game I enjoy I'll play it.
No one actually wants that. The only people I ever see talking about a "Halo CE/2/3 reskin" with any regularity are the people who defend the newer Halo games. Just because certain players dislike a lot of the additions 343 has made and would like to see a lot of them removed does not mean they just want "a Halo 3 reskin." They shouldn't need to whip out their entire design documents every time they wish some 343 era mechanic would get removed.
tsassi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Nope, they should get rid of them because they affect the golden triangle of Halo. Halo needs to go back to classic gameplay or Halo will die.
After nearly twenty years, the golden triangle isn't that great, especially for Halo fans like me who don't obsess over MLG and esports. And let's be real, the games haven't changed much. Same gameplay repackaged with new gimmicks. Reverting back to an earlier iteration of a stagnant franchise isn't going to help.
And this continuation of modern mechanics has actually made the franchise worse when it comes to word of mouth and population numbers
That's not true for everyone. I stopped playing Halo 5 for a number of reasons, and not one of them is spartan abilities, and or modern mechanics. I view them as something to adapt to, not a deal breaker.
For you obviously not but I've had former friends all the way back to when reach was released who left because they didnt like things like sprint being added to halo.I remember release day of halo 4 the population the first time I got on was a little under 350 k and within months they lost like 75 of their population because of how similar it was to Cod.New mechanics have driven away alot of the former fanbase and has really hindered the older veterans like myself who still prefer classic gameplay
I can't disagree that some of the player base moved on because of the changes to the game. However, modern mechanics, loadouts and movement are not the only reason. I'm as verteran as you get when it comes to Halo, I bought an Xbox to play to Halo Combat evolved, I'm an old man too, I'm in my fifties, and the last thing I want is a reskinned Halo 3. 343i need to find a way to cater to all the players, not just the older generation.
Because removing advanced movement means no changes or additions elsewhere in the game? Reverting the game to a "reskin" of a previous installment?That aside, I don't really care for the popularity, I want a game I can enjoy.
No, I just don't want a reskin of Halo 3 every two years, and there's a portion of the community that would settle for that. All things aside, your last sentence nails it for me, I want a fun game I can enjoy. That's the most important thing imo. Halo has lost players for many reasons, not just advanced movement, if they make a game I enjoy I'll play it.
You were the first person in that quote chain to mention Halo 3. . As far as I'm concerned, Halo 3 is completely irrelevant to this discussion, because it's a bad representative of classic movement.
Yes, I was the first person to bring up a reskin of Halo 3 because it's an example of what I don't want, I think it's relevant because I also agree that it is a bad representative of classic movement that a portion of the community would settle for, and it's something I don't want. Maybe I could have worded it better.
eviltedi wrote:
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Nope, they should get rid of them because they affect the golden triangle of Halo. Halo needs to go back to classic gameplay or Halo will die.
After nearly twenty years, the golden triangle isn't that great, especially for Halo fans like me who don't obsess over MLG and esports. And let's be real, the games haven't changed much. Same gameplay repackaged with new gimmicks. Reverting back to an earlier iteration of a stagnant franchise isn't going to help.
And this continuation of modern mechanics has actually made the franchise worse when it comes to word of mouth and population numbers
That's not true for everyone. I stopped playing Halo 5 for a number of reasons, and not one of them is spartan abilities, and or modern mechanics. I view them as something to adapt to, not a deal breaker.
For you obviously not but I've had former friends all the way back to when reach was released who left because they didnt like things like sprint being added to halo.I remember release day of halo 4 the population the first time I got on was a little under 350 k and within months they lost like 75 of their population because of how similar it was to Cod.New mechanics have driven away alot of the former fanbase and has really hindered the older veterans like myself who still prefer classic gameplay
I can't disagree that some of the player base moved on because of the changes to the game. However, modern mechanics, loadouts and movement are not the only reason. I'm as verteran as you get when it comes to Halo, I bought an Xbox to play to Halo Combat evolved, I'm an old man too, I'm in my fifties, and the last thing I want is a reskinned Halo 3. 343i need to find a way to cater to all the players, not just the older generation.
Because removing advanced movement means no changes or additions elsewhere in the game? Reverting the game to a "reskin" of a previous installment?That aside, I don't really care for the popularity, I want a game I can enjoy.
No, I just don't want a reskin of Halo 3 every two years, and there's a portion of the community that would settle for that. All things aside, your last sentence nails it for me, I want a fun game I can enjoy. That's the most important thing imo. Halo has lost players for many reasons, not just advanced movement, if they make a game I enjoy I'll play it.
Yes, and now ask yourself why they would?
Hint: The keyword here is "settle".
I don't want a reskinned Halo 3, but after the travesty that was the last (few) game(s) I'd rather have a Halo 3-II (in a nod to Final Fantasy nomenclature) than anything that even remotely resembles H5G!
Some people are just sick that instead of toning down the shoehorned-in mechanics, each and every entry to the franchise went further and further out of their way to distance themselves from OG Halo. So at this point, some parts of the fanbase are of the opinion that "since 343 doesn't seem to be able to evolve the franchise in a natural way, they should just go back to the last main series Bungie game and stick with that". This is not some deep-rooted aversion against change and innovation but a reactionary statement to getting every fad mechanic in the history of video gaming forced down their throats over less than a decade.
WerepyreND wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Nope, they should get rid of them because they affect the golden triangle of Halo. Halo needs to go back to classic gameplay or Halo will die.
After nearly twenty years, the golden triangle isn't that great, especially for Halo fans like me who don't obsess over MLG and esports. And let's be real, the games haven't changed much. Same gameplay repackaged with new gimmicks. Reverting back to an earlier iteration of a stagnant franchise isn't going to help.
And this continuation of modern mechanics has actually made the franchise worse when it comes to word of mouth and population numbers
That's not true for everyone. I stopped playing Halo 5 for a number of reasons, and not one of them is spartan abilities, and or modern mechanics. I view them as something to adapt to, not a deal breaker.
For you obviously not but I've had former friends all the way back to when reach was released who left because they didnt like things like sprint being added to halo.I remember release day of halo 4 the population the first time I got on was a little under 350 k and within months they lost like 75 of their population because of how similar it was to Cod.New mechanics have driven away alot of the former fanbase and has really hindered the older veterans like myself who still prefer classic gameplay
I can't disagree that some of the player base moved on because of the changes to the game. However, modern mechanics, loadouts and movement are not the only reason. I'm as verteran as you get when it comes to Halo, I bought an Xbox to play to Halo Combat evolved, I'm an old man too, I'm in my fifties, and the last thing I want is a reskinned Halo 3. 343i need to find a way to cater to all the players, not just the older generation.
Because removing advanced movement means no changes or additions elsewhere in the game? Reverting the game to a "reskin" of a previous installment?That aside, I don't really care for the popularity, I want a game I can enjoy.
No, I just don't want a reskin of Halo 3 every two years, and there's a portion of the community that would settle for that. All things aside, your last sentence nails it for me, I want a fun game I can enjoy. That's the most important thing imo. Halo has lost players for many reasons, not just advanced movement, if they make a game I enjoy I'll play it.
No one actually wants that. The only people I ever see talking about a "Halo CE/2/3 reskin" with any regularity are the people who defend the newer Halo games. Just because certain players dislike a lot of the additions 343 has made and would like to see a lot of them removed does not mean they just want "a Halo 3 reskin." They shouldn't need to whip out their entire design documents every time they wish some 343 era mechanic would get removed.
Never say "no one". I know for a fact that there exists at least one person on these forums who would be thrilled with a game that plays exactly like Halo 3. With that said, you're completely correct that the vast majority of discussion pertaining to Halo X.5/reskin/carbon copy comes from the defenders of advanced movement.
Celestis wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Naqser wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Nope, they should get rid of them because they affect the golden triangle of Halo. Halo needs to go back to classic gameplay or Halo will die.
After nearly twenty years, the golden triangle isn't that great, especially for Halo fans like me who don't obsess over MLG and esports. And let's be real, the games haven't changed much. Same gameplay repackaged with new gimmicks. Reverting back to an earlier iteration of a stagnant franchise isn't going to help.
And this continuation of modern mechanics has actually made the franchise worse when it comes to word of mouth and population numbers
That's not true for everyone. I stopped playing Halo 5 for a number of reasons, and not one of them is spartan abilities, and or modern mechanics. I view them as something to adapt to, not a deal breaker.
For you obviously not but I've had former friends all the way back to when reach was released who left because they didnt like things like sprint being added to halo.I remember release day of halo 4 the population the first time I got on was a little under 350 k and within months they lost like 75 of their population because of how similar it was to Cod.New mechanics have driven away alot of the former fanbase and has really hindered the older veterans like myself who still prefer classic gameplay
I can't disagree that some of the player base moved on because of the changes to the game. However, modern mechanics, loadouts and movement are not the only reason. I'm as verteran as you get when it comes to Halo, I bought an Xbox to play to Halo Combat evolved, I'm an old man too, I'm in my fifties, and the last thing I want is a reskinned Halo 3. 343i need to find a way to cater to all the players, not just the older generation.
Because removing advanced movement means no changes or additions elsewhere in the game? Reverting the game to a "reskin" of a previous installment?That aside, I don't really care for the popularity, I want a game I can enjoy.
No, I just don't want a reskin of Halo 3 every two years, and there's a portion of the community that would settle for that. All things aside, your last sentence nails it for me, I want a fun game I can enjoy. That's the most important thing imo. Halo has lost players for many reasons, not just advanced movement, if they make a game I enjoy I'll play it.
Yes, and now ask yourself why they would?
Hint: The keyword here is "settle".
I don't want a reskinned Halo 3, but after the travesty that was the last (few) game(s) I'd rather have a Halo 3-II (in a nod to Final Fantasy nomenclature) than anything that even remotely resembles H5G!
Some people are just sick that instead of toning down the shoehorned-in mechanics, each and every entry to the franchise went further and further out of their way to distance themselves from OG Halo. So at this point, some parts of the fanbase are of the opinion that "since 343 doesn't seem to be able to evolve the franchise in a natural way, they should just go back to the last main series Bungie game and stick with that".
I agree that there are players that feel that way. However, I don't want Halo 3-ll or any other Halo v II for that matter. If I want that experience I have all the games to date and I can play them whenever I want. MCC collection has them too. I'll say again, the fall off in players is not just down to advanced movement, that was not a reason I dropped Halo 5. I also don't think an older insert title here v II is the way to go, and it's something I don't want. I already have those experiences at my finger tips.
I have said in the past "If Bungie had released more maps and updated graphics for Halo 2 or 3 ; instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with every release ; we all would have played another ten years". And I have said it multiple times because I believe it is true. I know the group I played with only left H2 to play 3 and so on down the line.
Not that I believe Tsassi was referencing me with his post , but I would like to say I don't ever remember advocating for a H3 v2 or whatever.
But as has been said most recently , at this point I would absolutely "settle" for it , over a new H4 or 5.
BTW , also a Vet of Halo CE at 40 yrs old.
eviltedi wrote:
I agree that there are players that feel that way. However, I don't want Halo 3-ll or any other Halo v II for that matter. If I want that experience I have all the games to date and I can play them whenever I want. MCC collection has them too. I'll say again, the fall off in players is not just down to advanced movement, that was not a reason I dropped Halo 5. I also don't think an older insert title here v II is the way to go, and it's something I don't want. I already have those experiences at my finger tips.
While that might be true for you, you cannot speak for everybody. Neither can I, but it certainly was the reason why I stopped playing the latest games.
While I would prefer an evolution of the old formula, as you said, in the end we all just want games we can enjoy. And people already know they did enjoy the old Halo games (to a certain extent), so their line of thinking is that another innovation to the series is just one more wild card after an extended drought period, wheras copying what previously worked for them is more certain to hit their tastes.
I'm not saying that this is the right mindset to have, but I wanted to conveigh where this opinion comes from.
Celestis wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
I agree that there are players that feel that way. However, I don't want Halo 3-ll or any other Halo v II for that matter. If I want that experience I have all the games to date and I can play them whenever I want. MCC collection has them too. I'll say again, the fall off in players is not just down to advanced movement, that was not a reason I dropped Halo 5. I also don't think an older insert title here v II is the way to go, and it's something I don't want. I already have those experiences at my finger tips.
While that might be true for you, you cannot speak for everybody. Neither can I, but it certainly was the reason why I stopped playing the latest games.
While I would prefer an evolution of the old formula, as you said, in the end we all just want games we can enjoy. And people already know they did enjoy the old Halo games (to a certain extent), so their line of thinking is that another innovation to the series is just one more wild card after an extended drought period, wheras copying what previously worked for them is more certain to hit their tastes.
I'm not saying that this is the right mindset to have, but I wanted to conveigh where this opinion comes from.
Again, I agree, and I don't think either of us are speaking for everybody, we're merely voicing our views. I would also prefer an evolution of the old formula, but there is now a portion of the community that enjoy and want advanced movement, 343i have a tough job imo. I hope we all get the Halo Infinite we want, and a game that we can enjoy together.
eviltedi wrote:
Again, I agree, and I don't think either of us are speaking for everybody, we're merely voicing our views. I would also prefer an evolution of the old formula, but there is now a portion of the community that enjoy and want advanced movement, 343i have a tough job imo. I hope we all get the Halo Infinite we want, and a game that we can enjoy together.
I think that undoubtedly the path of least resistance at this point, is to drop all of them sans Thruster and see what they can do with Thruster as a concept to cover the losses, run it back through the cooker until it comes out with a greater wealth of uses that service traversal and combat in more skillful ways, with more depth, so players never wonder what happened to Slide, Clamber, Ground Pound, etc. in the first place. They'll be too busy mastering all the new things that occur when using Thrusters. Relegate Sprint to Warzone and customs, idc, but I'm not just saying Spartan Abilities need to be stripped, but the game at a basic level as well.

There is nothing inherently wrong with expanding on Halo's old formula. It is just very flawed, and still carries a lot of Bungie's past mistakes, so it doesn't need 7 Spartan Abilities with very little individual depth thrown into what is essentially just Halo 2.

It needs actual changes under the hood first before adding all this stuff: A revamped melee system, quickchat so players can communicate they need help without a mic, or something minor like giving the crouch button the ability to make the player do acrobatics midair, or something, I dunno. It's just hopelessly old and rusted underneath the paint and that wasn't serviced in Halo 5 with Spartan Abilities.
AT LEAST, keep clamber. For real, it’s an embarrassment in any shooter when you can’t mount a ledge a weaker than average man can go over because you can't Be bothered to reach your arms out.
They won’t go anywhere, I just want that OP armor lock ;)
AT LEAST, keep clamber. For real, it’s an embarrassment in any shooter when you can’t mount a ledge a weaker than average man can go over because you can't Be bothered to reach your arms out.
You don't need arms when you have leg power which in reality would be a more impressive thing to do.

I should also point that if you can't make a jump by normal methods it's because it's intentional and the map maker didn't want you to make that jump for whatever reason. Having clamber wouldn't change that except for the spot you're trying to get up to would be higher up and unreachable with clamber.
AT LEAST, keep clamber. For real, it’s an embarrassment in any shooter when you can’t mount a ledge a weaker than average man can go over because you can't Be bothered to reach your arms out.
You do realize that certain gameplay mechanics aren't there to make sense, it's to serve a gameplay purpose.

Like that tree you keep coming across in Pokemon. Sure you can squeeze past it or climb over that rock, but no. You need a Pokemon with Cut and Rock Smash (or item equivalents) to get through.
AT LEAST, keep clamber. For real, it’s an embarrassment in any shooter when you can’t mount a ledge a weaker than average man can go over because you can't Be bothered to reach your arms out.
Go prone?
Corner lean?
Blind fire?
AT LEAST, keep clamber. For real, it’s an embarrassment in any shooter when you can’t mount a ledge a weaker than average man can go over because you can't Be bothered to reach your arms out.
I used to think clamber was alright. I was actually pretty indifferent on it honestly, but the more I think about it the more I think it should go and get replaced with a small double jump instead. I really think that idea is worth looking into. If the sprint animation and clamber was removed and a double jump added, it would go back to "guns always up" gameplay. Which I think would be a huge plu.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. ...
  8. 8