Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Please NO Microtransactions

OP HP 100 MP 100

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The Halo 5 REQ system was a huge surprise for me when I played the game for the first time nearly 4 years ago. I couldn't believe Halo actually had packs that you could buy. It made me feel Halo was continuing its course on the wrong path. I don't know why microtransactions were added in the first place. Was it just "industry standard" so they could get away with it? These packs are claimed to be in exchange for free DLC. Well where is our DLC? What we get is a bunch of COMMUNITY made maps that are questionable at best that eventually get cycled out of rotation and we have to learn the new maps they give us over again. On top of that, the gold packs are literally pay to win with whoever having the most ONI vehicles, Nornfangs, or Prophet's Banes winning. Then we have like 500 or 600 armor pieces or something ridiculous like that, which is shocking considering our customization options are limited to a helmet and an armor piece. And let's be honest, most of them looked like garbage. I never once bought a gold pack but I can't imagine purchasing one and getting some of that armor and feeling good about it. So without a doubt, this was a quick cash grab.

This brings me to my next point. Please don't bring microtransactions over to Infinite. There are other ways to make money. How about some actual DLC? I would gladly pay $20 for a well-polished DLC. Plus, we have replay value with maps and gametypes and things like that, something gold packs do not offer. The DLC could have a brand new set of achievements to go after. But if we go for achievements can we please be rewareded? The Hyabusa armor in Halo 3 we had to earn by getting all of the achievements. The Helioskrill armor in Halo 5 was earned by beating all the Halos on legendary from Halo MCC and Halo 5 and then for whatever reason was thrown into gold packs to be unlocked. Were people complaining about not having it or something? I don't know, even the little video explaining the REQ system upset me how they pushed it so much. I know I am salty but I am just tired of corporate-prodding at my wallet in every game I decide to play. I want Halo Infinite to be good. It needs to be good and it can do better than the rest of the industry. People will appreciate not having microtransactions and when they see things like that, they will tell their friends to buy the game because the foundation of the game itself is great. Halo can make records on it own without relying on cash grabs. The fan base is one of the strongest I've ever seen. I hope I'm not the only one out there who didn't like the REQ system. If you liked the REQ system in Halo 5 then this posts will probably irratate you. But if you agree with me, tell me below.

This post does not go against any rules or regulations so it should not be taken down by any monitor. I am simply stating some facts and some opinions in a kindly manner.
Halo Infinite will almost certainly have some sort of monetization system; that is pretty much an industry standard at this point. However, from statements made by 343 on twitter and discord, we know Infinite will not have paid lootboxes or premium currency for loot boxes. Essentially, what they said was that they were removing random loot for real $$. So that should come as a relief.

H5's DLC system had it's benefits. While the random loot aspects of the REQ system were annoying to some, it did allow Halo to move away from DLC map packs, which was a good move, as it ended that degree of separation in matchmaking that map packs caused in previous Halo titles. However Infinite chooses to monetize, I hope it's not through map packs or anything else that separates the player base.

Disheartening as it may sounds, it's unrealistic to expect Infinte to be devoid of microtransactions entirely. They're simply too lucrative. But certainly, they can be implemented in a more palatable way, and it sounds like 343 is looking to go that route.

P.S. - You don't need to add that last bit when posting.
Hopefully little to none.
Industry standard is not an excuse to have microtransactions Chimera30. Map packs do not seperate the player base. They allow you to play more maps. Polished maps. Map packs do not need to be restricted to one type of playlist. If everyone found in the matchmaking search has the DLC then your'e good to go.
I am starting to wonder if 343 will continue to sell Req packs after Halo Infinite. IMHO they should just set it to req points only and then set the daily from silver to platinum. Just throw the loot oat them in an obsolete game instead of letting a virtual goods just disappear because the game service was discontinued.
Map packs do not seperate the player base.
Yes they do, at an inherent level. They separate based on who owns the DLC and who doesn't. If you don't own the DLC, you can't play on those maps.
Map packs do not need to be restricted to one type of playlist. If everyone found in the matchmaking search has the DLC then your'e good to go.
If the maps from a DLC map pack were not restricted to dedicated playlists and instead were included in all matchmaking, it would make getting them in matchmaking virtually impossible because for that to happen, every person in the match would need to own the DLC (and that's not likely to be a common occurrence in a newer game; in Reach it can happen because the game is old and the DLC was made free, so the few players playing Reach are more likely to have all DLC). And if you matchmake based on who owns the DLC, it takes away from other matchmaking parameters like skill and connection. This is why previous Halo games had dedicated playlists for the new maps, because adding the maps to the general playlists would make them infrequently played. Besides, it's nice when new maps are free because then everyone can enjoy them and not have to worry about extra spending. When microtransactions are done well, they can be largely ignored and not affect your play experience at all. Map packs, on the other hand, can't be ignored.
Industry standard is not an excuse to have microtransactions Chimera30. Map packs do not seperate the player base. They allow you to play more maps. Polished maps. Map packs do not need to be restricted to one type of playlist. If everyone found in the matchmaking search has the DLC then your'e good to go.
I'd rather have some kind of monetization like the announcement voices or other cosmetic stuff than a paid DLC with exclusive maps or campaign. All the weapons, maps and useful content should be available for everyone.
Chimera30 you are forgetting that there is a custom search engine in Halo MCC? How would searching for someone with the same DLC take away from the skill?
Chimera30 you are forgetting that there is a custom search engine in Halo MCC? How would searching for someone with the same DLC take away from the skill?
He means that by having maps be a limitation on who you can match with harms other parameters for searching, such as skill or proximity to server.

Either way, separating the playerbase into who has purchased the DLC maps and who hasn't tarnishes the experience. As others have said I'd rather have non-randomized cosmetics than map packs. Wouldn't mind a campaign expansion though.
Chimera30 you are forgetting that there is a custom search engine in Halo MCC?
You mean the match composer? That works for MCC because MCC features multiple games and the Match Composer helps filter the experience a player wants. But adding more filters results in longer match times and also more uneven matches, because adding filters lowers the available pool of players to match with. If you added something similar for map packs (which note that map filters aren't a thing in MCC's match composer), it would also result in longer match times and less even matches.
How would searching for someone with the same DLC take away from the skill?
Any time you add a filter onto matchmaking, you increase the matchmaking time and lessen the number of players you can match with. Most matchmaking systems already use skill and connection strength as filters on who the game will allow you to play against. Additional filters only make it harder for the game to find you matches. You can't assume that everyone who is around your skill level will buy the DLC, or vice versa.
So then why do we need to have microtransactions to get maps? There are ways around other than cosmetics to make money. Back in the old Halo days Bungie had Bungie Pro. And if you are arguing that everyone should have the same content then why wouldn't everyone have the same cosmetics? Yes it doesn't affect matchmaking but It's a way for people to say I'm better than you because I spent $5 dollars on a way cooler skin and you didn't. And if they do choose to go that route then we better get some very decent DLC because making maps with forge doesn't cut it and we didn't get squat in Halo 5. But you would pay for a campaign expansion. How does that not tarnish the game for people who don't buy the expansion?
Just No Req Packs.

That is it, no paid for lootboxes that contain power items and better than the stock versions of weapons and vehicles.

Heck I would go play Halo 5 is they just kill the store and make the req packs purchasable only through playing the game. What was that you just said too much of a grind? Well why do you think I never even picked up the game in the first place? Instead of a cheap silver pack as a daily login put in a platinum pack as the daily login.

Too many power weapons like "The Answer", SPNKR Prime and Heloes Phaeton? You can make some common only matches to bring the stock weapons back.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 you are forgetting that there is a custom search engine in Halo MCC?
You mean the match composer? That works for MCC because MCC features multiple games and the Match Composer helps filter the experience a player wants. But adding more filters results in longer match times and also more uneven matches, because adding filters lowers the available pool of players to match with. If you added something similar for map packs (which note that map filters aren't a thing in MCC's match composer), it would also result in longer match times and less even matches.
How would searching for someone with the same DLC take away from the skill?
Any time you add a filter onto matchmaking, you increase the matchmaking time and lessen the number of players you can match with. Most matchmaking systems already use skill and connection strength as filters on who the game will allow you to play against. Additional filters only make it harder for the game to find you matches. You can't assume that everyone who is around your skill level will buy the DLC, or vice versa.
yea if your game only has 100 players on each playlist
Pretty sure it will just be dlc
REQ microtransactions provide choice: to pay or to play. Games nowadays all have some sort of 'power' progression mechanism linked with play; REQs are how it's done in Halo 5. Games also all provide optional payment shortcuts for that progression, which is how it's been for many years in other games.

So, as a player who never buys REQs, i would say the REQ approach is better than map DLCs. Essentially those that feel the need to buy REQs are subsidising the maps, which are then given freely to all (as already said). I wouldn't like to see a solution where one *has* to pay.

I'm not sure about the technical argument against map DLC in matchmaking. If it's really such a problem then present a list of servers instead of shoehorning players into slots. In fact, there's an idea for Infinite: add server lists, with (e.g.) optionally restricted skill level, etc.

I would also argue that the random feature of REQs and their consumption goes some way to counter the 'pay to win' aspect of REQs; weapon 'rarity' (i guess) adds further restriction. Is removing that randomness really a good idea; doesn't it just play into 'pay to win'?

And winning the game isn't just about which weapon you use, especially in team games. IMO the biggest barrier to winning those is the proliferation of disrepectful, unthoughtful and self-serving players.
Well there was actually a lot of DLC added but many would argue that a lot of it was stuff that should've been there since launch already included in the game.

This is the trade off we face with modern games: everyone wants MP to be continously supported with content at a consistent pace after launch. The thing is that's not free. IF the game feels like a complete game at launch, you can't just expect said game to be supported with quality content for years after. Our choices are free DLC with MTX, or paid DLC. Personally I vote free with mtx.
Yes, no micro-transactions at all!

They should replace them with paid campaign "spin-off like" DLCs :)
Just no microtransactions at all. That kinda killed Halo 5. I just want then to focus and think thay fun gameplay us the mist important thing in a Halo game in addition to reward systems.
I missed the rank unlocked armor I wouldn't mind both but please more rank armor
Hopefully looking at what they have done with gears 5 compared to 4 they are removing all loot boxes and just having direct purchase cosmetic items and keeping free maps for everybody. I personally hope they use the same model for halo infinite seems like the best we can hope for at this point. I just don't think there is any chance of it having zero mxt unfortunately. i have only just started playing halo 5 in the last few days and I'm really enjoying it so far it's making me more excited for infinite.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2