Please, No Profanity, etc...

OP Commodore SOM

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
I may be alone here, and that's fine but I wanted to raise a request for those who enjoy the story without it having swearing in it.

Halo's are famous for being the cleanest AAA shooter, no serious gore, loss of limbs and I may be wrong but I don't recall swearing in Halo until 343i took over? Maybe Reach? Please comment if you know becasue I may be wrong.

Even though it has become wildly used, "hell" is a swear word. If you don't think so, would you do a double-take if your child said it?

Anyway, I'd like to humbly ask 343i to keep profanity out and of course keep limb loss out. I've always enjoyed that Halo managed to be so popular without being overly... *waves hands in air for lack of a word*. It makes me proud as a fan that Halo can do this, I remeber at a GameStop when Reach was still new, a kid wanted Reach but it was rated M so his mom asked about it and the clerk said "it's the cleanest M rated game there is, it doesn't even deserve that rating".

I know there is alien blood and such, I'm not ignorant. I just was disappointed when Chief swore in 5, I thought it was unnecessary given how far we'd come without it (at least for the most part) - a real cop-out I thought.

343i, thank you for turning things around with Halo, you have earned my trust. I even prefer you over Bungie now because of how dedicated you are to the fans.

How about just an option to turn it off, best of both worlds, huh? What do you guys think?

God bless 343i and God bless HALO!
If I recall correctly, back in Halo 3, if you enabled the IWHBYD skull there was a line that involved not-so-mild swearing. It was more than just "damn" and "hell".
It's an M for Mature game about war. If it was more realistic, you'd hear swearing in almost every line from the Marines and ODST.
MORE CUSSING PLEASE!!!! This is the -Yoinking!- military SPACE MILITARY
Theres always been some swearing and loss of limbs if I'm not mistaken. Granted never a whole lot of swearing and I dont expect that to change but I believe you've been able to shoot of limbs of the flood since ce, could be wrong on that part though.
Swearing has been in every Halo Game and you've been able to shoot limbs off flood since Halo CE. Halo is an M rated game about war, swearing is going to happen.
greganater wrote:
If I recall correctly, back in Halo 3, if you enabled the IWHBYD skull there was a line that involved not-so-mild swearing. It was more than just "damn" and "hell".
It's an M for Mature game about war. If it was more realistic, you'd hear swearing in almost every line from the Marines and ODST
Haha, of course that would make it more realistic in how people behave. I'd at least like the option to turn it off, that's probably the best compromise, who could object to just the option? That way everyone's happy!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
There's always been some level of cursing, in fact, in Halo 2 when the Scarab is moving for the water way a conversation like this will happen:

"You see this thing!? It's pure terror!" (or something like that)

to which his CO will respond

"Marine, did I give you permission to -Yoink!- (the word is of course what people call female dogs)?"

The cursing has always been mild, more often seen when you turn on IWHBYD because of the hilarity of it. Personally, gore, blood, and cursing aside; I don't think it's right for Halo to carry on with a T rating on the basis of 'we don't want our kids to play a game where limbs fly, people curse, and there's gore everywhere'. I understand that younger audiences may find Halo fun while their parents are more wary of letting them play it. But if there's one way to make a Halo game feel less Halo, it's by completely stripping things out to welcome the younger audience.

Halo was made in a time where parents were less cautious about what their kid played, hence why you'll see people on here saying that they remember coming home from school in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade eager to play Halo. If parents choose to be more aware and careful of the games they let their kids play, that's perfectly fine. I won't argue with it. However, I'm above asking game dev's to dumb down a game that has pretty much seen its entire career as a rated M game down to rated T simply because of wanting to welcome in a younger demographic.

Games have ratings for a reason and I would hate for a lot of good ones to become bubble wrapped because kids want in on every game.

I have nothing against kids, not a big fan of them, but nothing against them. But there are games meant for kids, games meant for teens, and games meant for everyone older than 17-18. Let's not start stripping away rated M games please. There's just some things that aren't meant for everyone. <3
Nah if your kid swears because he heard it on a game, i dont think the game is the issue.

Now, I don't think they should add profanity were it isnt necessary... But it is a FPS.... U r shooting things and at risk of dying anytime. I cant think if any other setting were its more acceptable to swear than in a game that allows you to kill people.

Just my opinion
I want blood like it was in CE and cussing makes for good writing at times, no need to censor good writing. I say let writers be creative and fit swear words to create scenes and settings
Mnkymn89 wrote:
Theres always been some swearing and loss of limbs if I'm not mistaken. Granted never a whole lot of swearing and I dont expect that to change but I believe you've been able to shoot of limbs of the flood since ce, could be wrong on that part though.
Yes! You're right, the flood, I remember that. Yeah, that's fine I suppose, their limbs come off like tree branches, not DOOM level of detail, lol/ I don't expect them to take Halo in that direction anyway, main interest was in the profanity. I said to the other commenter that at least the option to turn it off would be nice, no one could complain about that. Well. of course they could but you know what I mean, lol.
Yeah i dont think halo will ever go doom level of gore, but doom's gore is kinda one of their selling points lol. An option would be nice for people such as yourself who dislike the profanity but i've also never known any game to have that option so i dont think it is likely to happen.
Last time I checked Halo never used profanity. Unless you think damn and hell are bad words which I honestly don't know why you would. Their words that are used in various ways.

Now if they were dropping the F bomb every 3 seconds I would probably agree with you (probably not). Its a game about war, people communicate using language whether its cussing or not. If I had to choose, keep it the way it is, or add 10% more profanity. There words, they're not gonna hurt you from a game.
speedyjr11 wrote:
Last time I checked Halo never used profanity. Unless you think damn and hell are bad words which I honestly don't know why you would. Their words that are used in various ways.

Now if they were dropping the F bomb every 3 seconds I would probably agree with you (probably not). Its a game about war, people communicate using language whether its cussing or not. If I had to choose, keep it the way it is, or add 10% more profanity. There words, they're not gonna hurt you from a game.
I think you need to go back and play the games again, paying far more attention this time to most of the dialogue. While they don't curse every couple of words, there are quite a few times in which they do utter a profane word.
Trusssson wrote:
Nah if your kid swears because he heard it on a game, i dont think the game is the issue.

Now, I don't think they should add profanity were it isnt necessary... But it is a FPS.... U r shooting things and at risk of dying anytime. I cant think if any other setting were its more acceptable to swear than in a game that allows you to kill people.

Just my opinion
Agreed about the child swearing. And although it's never okay to swear, I get what your saying, I do. I'm glad you said not adding unnecessarily, that's a good point, sometimes it can seem like that one nerdy kid who swears just to seem tougher/cooler, lol.
I may be alone here, and that's fine but I wanted to raise a request for those who enjoy the story without it having swearing in it.

Halo's are famous for being the cleanest AAA shooter, no serious gore, loss of limbs and I may be wrong but I don't recall swearing in Halo until 343i took over? Maybe Reach? Please comment if you know becasue I may be wrong.

Even though it has become wildly used, "hell" is a swear word. If you don't think so, would you do a double-take if your child said it?

Anyway, I'd like to humbly ask 343i to keep profanity out and of course keep limb loss out. I've always enjoyed that Halo managed to be so popular without being overly... *waves hands in air for lack of a word*. It makes me proud as a fan that Halo can do this, I remeber at a GameStop when Reach was still new, a kid wanted Reach but it was rated M so his mom asked about it and the clerk said "it's the cleanest M rated game there is, it doesn't even deserve that rating".

I know there is alien blood and such, I'm not ignorant. I just was disappointed when Chief swore in 5, I thought it was unnecessary given how far we'd come without it (at least for the most part) - a real cop-out I thought.

343i, thank you for turning things around with Halo, you have earned my trust. I even prefer you over Bungie now because of how dedicated you are to the fans.

What do you guys think?

God bless 343i and God bless HALO!
i would like a no profanity story but with the ability to activate a skull that would make it a tad more profane and gory
Having the option to turn off swear words wouldn't bother me at all. However, I don't want another Teen rated Halo. I want full blown Mature themes that a game about war should have. I welcome a more mature game. Halo 5 felt like a Disney movie.
343i’s games actually have cleaner dialog (among other changes) because they have tried to make it more welcoming to a wider age demographic. If anything, the lack of cussing has made the games’ dialog feel more unnatural.

I’m not one to say Halo need to have f-bombs dropping like rain nor does every character need to say swear words, but cussing is a normal thing amongst friends and maybe more so among military brothers and sisters. That’s the way the game should be. If there’s a Clean skull or a Bleep skull, all power to you. But that sure as hell shouldn’t be how the game is made.

So yeah, agree with a lot of the points made above about making a game that deals with the subject matter in an appropriate way rather than painting everything with hearts and flowers and rainbows.
So it's OK to shoot things in the head , blow things up and assainate but swearing and blood/gore it's a big no as its against someone's values or morality ,, intereresting times we are living in indeed
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6