OP Commodore SOM

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6
I get it, it would be nice if they did what Gears of war does and let you turn on a filter for the mature content.
I'd rather have realistic cursing and dialogue over sanitized nothingness.
Why is it "nothingness" when every other game feels this need to curse every five seconds? It's just what people are used to in games with shooting. Blood and guts everywhere, and all this. There's always this drive to be edgy. and Halo is gritty at times, but I don't think edgy would fit it. It doesn't need to be there. But it can be, and it wouldn't kill the game, it would just for me make it less than what it is. It would lessen the effect of dialogue if you just hear seven people talking, and eight profanities. But this isn't coming from some puritanical position, it's just that Halo is more of a family title.

Just kidding. Well, not entirely. Halo has always been more of a family title than, say, Call of Duty. But at the same time, everything is. So you may well be right here. Still, I'll make my case here as one of preference I guess.
Swear words are subjective. To me, there are four swear words (not counting compound words that include them). They consist of s**t, b***h, f*** and c**t. I've heard people claim that some of those aren't swear words. I've also heard people claim that words like 'ba stard', 'bloody' or 'sl ut' are swear words. It's an opinion-based subject that depends on the immediate cultural contexts you were raised within. So, what you (the OP) considers a swear word may not be what others including 343i consider swearing. At the end of the day, Halo is going to take America's classification system (whether they want to go with a T or M rating) over any other when considering swear words. For me, I don't recall any swearing said by the Master Cheif in Halo 5. I was surprised to see this thread.

Even though it has become wildly used, "hell" is a swear word. If you don't think so, would you do a double-take if your child said it?
No, I wouldn't actually. I was raised as a Catholic, and hell was discussed in religion classes throughout both Primary (Elementary) and High School. I don't see a problem with the word.
Like I said, swear words are subjective and culture based. You seem to be taking a stance that they are objective without any good reason for it.
I may be alone here, and that's fine but I wanted to raise a request for those who enjoy the story without it having swearing in it.

Halo's are famous for being the cleanest AAA shooter, no serious gore, loss of limbs and I may be wrong but I don't recall swearing in Halo until 343i took over? Maybe Reach? Please comment if you know becasue I may be wrong.

Even though it has become wildly used, "hell" is a swear word. If you don't think so, would you do a double-take if your child said it?

Anyway, I'd like to humbly ask 343i to keep profanity out and of course keep limb loss out. I've always enjoyed that Halo managed to be so popular without being overly... *waves hands in air for lack of a word*. It makes me proud as a fan that Halo can do this, I remeber at a GameStop when Reach was still new, a kid wanted Reach but it was rated M so his mom asked about it and the clerk said "it's the cleanest M rated game there is, it doesn't even deserve that rating".

I know there is alien blood and such, I'm not ignorant. I just was disappointed when Chief swore in 5, I thought it was unnecessary given how far we'd come without it (at least for the most part) - a real cop-out I thought.

343i, thank you for turning things around with Halo, you have earned my trust. I even prefer you over Bungie now because of how dedicated you are to the fans.

How about just an option to turn it off, best of both worlds, huh? What do you guys think?

God bless 343i and God bless HALO!
How old are you? Are you sensitive to words? You do know that Halo titles have been rated M since Halo CE right?

I'm profoundly dumbfounded by this topic. I just want to know how old you are to be demanding this feature. "Naughty" words should be a thing in these kind of games, and censuring a war game plays no role in its enjoyment.

I mean you kill other characters as part of gameplay ... surely this would be far more disturbing than the F word.
Nothing comes to mind specifically, but I think Halo has always had profanity (albeit not much). As long as it's not excessive like in GTA, I couldn't care less. Halo has historically featured blood. Not sure what you'd classify as gory, but seeing Captain Keyes transformed into a big flood thing is pretty high on my gory scale. I mean it kind of looks like the guy's insides are all on the outside in his final moments. I also don't mind this because I love gore, but that's just me.
Oh, boy.
Well if we're going to be honest Halo is not a kids game, nor should it block out the hard truth that people cuss. Shocker, right? I'd be cool with a language filter if you enable it, but do not remove cussing or gore..
Invy Clapz wrote:
Oh, boy.
Well if we're going to be honest Halo is not a kids game, nor should it block out the hard truth that people cuss. Shocker, right? I'd be cool with a language filter if you enable it, but do not remove cussing or gore..
I don't recall there being any bad swearing in Halo 5, but there was definitely no gore, and there was practically no blood. The amount of blood and gore needs to be increased with the option to turn it off imo. As for Halo not being a kids game ? It's probably not, but it's pretty tame tbh, especially Halo 5.
If you don't want profanity, there should be a setting to make censor certain things. It wouldn't make sense to remove it overall since it's an M rated game.
Censorship is evil. You should be ashamed of yourself.
I'm not saying censorship is a good thing.
IGX05 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
I don't really have any moral issues with swearing in games. The only reason I care is that swearing can potentially lead to poor dialogue, and excessive swearing can make it seem like the game is trying too hard to be edgy and "mature". I don't in principle have anything against f-bombs and such in Halo, but considering the legacy of the franchise, I find it hard to imagine a situation where an f-bomb would not come off as an out-of-place "Look at us! Our game is so mature". Which is to say that I don't think the game needs to change anything about how it has handled swearing for the past twenty years.
That actually depends on upbringing. In some cultures swearing is as natural as breathing. People describe f- like a bomb if that's true a certain c- would go full nuclear. Doom doesn't have a single swear word yet it still makes half the gaming industry blush.

"Cursing is the crutch of an unimaginative mind." - Rick YanceyI don't mind cursing but kudos for an interesting topic. Its intriguing to read the responses.
'Don't believe everything you read'.
"The cake is a lie".One could always substitute cursing with a goofy replacements like "son of a biscuit eating bulldog"!
There's always been some light profanity in Halo, at least in Italian :)

It's cool if it is done as previous entries like Halo 3, please 343, add light profanity in Halo Infinite ala Halo 3 :)
IGX05 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
I don't really have any moral issues with swearing in games. The only reason I care is that swearing can potentially lead to poor dialogue, and excessive swearing can make it seem like the game is trying too hard to be edgy and "mature". I don't in principle have anything against f-bombs and such in Halo, but considering the legacy of the franchise, I find it hard to imagine a situation where an f-bomb would not come off as an out-of-place "Look at us! Our game is so mature". Which is to say that I don't think the game needs to change anything about how it has handled swearing for the past twenty years.
That actually depends on upbringing. In some cultures swearing is as natural as breathing. People describe f- like a bomb if that's true a certain c- would go full nuclear. Doom doesn't have a single swear word yet it still makes half the gaming industry blush.

"Cursing is the crutch of an unimaginative mind." - Rick YanceyI don't mind cursing but kudos for an interesting topic. Its intriguing to read the responses.
"The cake is a lie".One could always substitute cursing with a goofy replacements like "son of a biscuit eating bulldog"!
In Halo 3:ODST Buck meets two Aussie/Kiwi soldiers on Tayari Plaza with one of them clearly stating he is 'one lucky s.o.b'.
IGX05 wrote:
IGX05 wrote:
tsassi wrote:

In Halo 3:ODST Buck meets two Aussie/Kiwi soldiers on Tayari Plaza with one of them clearly stating he is 'one lucky s.o.b'.
I think the most offensive part of this thread is that you roped "Aussie" and "Kiwi" together as if their accents sound the same. :'(
It’s been said again and again but I’ll say it as well. The game is about killing each other and slaying aliens..... kids shouldn’t play it if they aren’t mentally prepared to differentiate what’s acceptable in a game vs real life. Most kids hear profanity used at home by family members or at school by friends (even the younger ones). What’s that saying about sticks and stones? Restricting writers from making an authentic dialogue script in a game of worlds being destroyed and people dying around every corner is an insult to the craft. The request for having an option for no cursing would cost more time which could be spent elsewhere. When I play a game about war, I want to feel like I’m in that war. War ain’t pretty and no one is using church language when *yoink* hits the fan.
Profanity is utilized on nearly every level of social interactions between adults, including at home with our children, it’s basically part of the vernacular.

Removing it from dialogue between characters sounds forced and unnatural.

ESPECIALLY characters that are experiencing the stresses of war.

I cringe every time I replay missions in Halo 3 where the characters are nearly losing their lives and watching their friends die and uttering phrases like “Phooey!” “Shucks!” and “Son of a Gun!”
IGX05 wrote:
IGX05 wrote:
tsassi wrote:

I think the most offensive part of this thread is that you roped "Aussie" and "Kiwi" together as if their accents sound the same. :'(
Couldn't tell the difference. It was one or the other that's why the [/] is there. Dialects are different for English all across the world. Don't be a snowflake.

Should we start roping in all the different English accents from the British Isles, America and South Africa and start asking you to tell the difference?
lemon cup wrote:
I cringe every time I replay missions in Halo 3 where the characters are nearly losing their lives and watching their friends die and uttering phrases like “Phooey!” “Shucks!” and “Son of a Gun!”
Since the marines behave like bozos, might as well make them talk like that too. Besides, that sort of dialogue has stuck with Halo since Halo CE, it's quite endearing. I find the marines in Reach and onward to be by and large drab, even with IWHBYD turned on. The marines in the trilogy were far more memorable plus we actually had some likeable, down-to-earth NPCs (Stacker, Johnson) making great speeches. So the UNSC were doing just fine in the dialogue department without need for a tuneup. The actual problem was overtly dramatizing the Covie side of the war (beginning in Halo 2), now that's cringe-worthy to watch (although 343i should have just dialed back it's frequency rather than completely returning to the feral alien tongue).

Halo has never been about realism, otherwise the UNSC tanks would be like modern real life tanks (fast, mobile, streamlined instead of the slow turtle that it actually is), the marines would appear more like their army counterparts in Reach/HCE (I honestly prefer marines in green rather than brown/grey), etc. In H4, they aimed to make the sounds more realistic and the result was that the Hog sounded terrible and some guns were outrageously loud. Most people play games as a break or escape from reality. We don't need a constant reminder of politics and war which already make up most of the popular FPS selection. Halo is supposed to be futuristic, although that doesn't prevent it from taking place in modern settings like Mombasa.
IGX05 wrote:
IGX05 wrote:
IGX05 wrote:
tsassi wrote:

Couldn't tell the difference. It was one or the other that's why the [/] is there. Dialects are different for English all across the world. Don't be a snowflake.

Should we start roping in all the different English accents from the British Isles, America and South Africa and start asking you to tell the difference?
I mean, firstly, I was joking. Surely, you didn't think I was offended. "Snowflake"? Really?
Secondly, what? They're two entirely different accents. Australians' vowels and New Zealand vowels are almost completely the opposite (swapped around). You're talking about two entire countries seperated by a lot of ocean. Sure, they're are plenty of different dialects within the countries themselves, but not hearing the difference between Australian and NZ accents is like not hearing the difference between Australian and English.
Again, my comment was 100% a joke, but I'm surprised by your reply.
By the rings, a thread I bare witness to that I have never seen before. I have to disagree with you, we need to keep all of it. It’s realistic and besides Halo isn’t a game known to have a potty mouth anyways. I rather both have lines showing frustration switched out in favor of something very corny and lame.

As for kids, well, they shouldn’t be playing the game anyways. What people should worry about more is the influence teens and Adults have on kids on the internet. You’re more likely to have a kid pick up profanity from some random person online than the game. All of this is up to the parents ofc. Btw canonically, gore is also a real thing for Halo. Let’s not change that. Blood, fluids and severed limbs will do, nothing over the top.
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
As for kids, well, they shouldn’t be playing the game anyways.
Hahah if only
IGX05 wrote:
IGX05 wrote:
IGX05 wrote:
tsassi wrote:

I mean, firstly, I was joking. Surely, you didn't think I was offended. "Snowflake"? Really?
Secondly, what? They're two entirely different accents. Australians' vowels and New Zealand vowels are almost completely the opposite (swapped around). You're talking about two entire countries seperated by a lot of ocean. Sure, they're are plenty of different dialects within the countries themselves, but not hearing the difference between Australian and NZ accents is like not hearing the difference between Australian and English.
Again, my comment was 100% a joke, but I'm surprised by your reply.
If its a joke why post the 'most offensive part of this thread' is roping two accents. Its not a joke in some countries. You tell a Scottish person they have a nice English accent they might punch your face in. Its the equivalent of asking a person which part of China there from when their entire family is from Hong Kong.

Again, not everybody can tell the difference between accents. That's why I always choose two or more (or just ask them directly which part of the world the accent is from). It was one of them so I wasn't wrong either. Lets leave it at that. If you want to be sure play Teyari Plaza on Halo 3: ODST and figure it out yourself.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6