Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Please no time travel

OP xAXIOS

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
Fake spoiler: We’re going from 2562 all the way back to 2009 and focus on making Halo 3.5 instead of Reach thus stopping the 343i adding sprint and armor abilities along with the death of Cortana in h4. Also every subsequent game will be ‘Halo 3: something’ like ODST and finally giving classic fans what they want, forever.
There have been a few time dilation events in Halo, but I don't think conventional time travel has a place in current lore. If the Precursors were capable of it in the past, sure. But no way 2562 humanity could crack it or even use it with any accuracy. If it were at all possible, it would have been used by those who came before and were more advanced.
Nalla78 wrote:
Fake spoiler: We’re going from 2562 all the way back to 2009 and focus on making Halo 3.5 instead of Reach thus stopping the 343i adding sprint and armor abilities along with the death of Cortana in h4. Also every subsequent game will be ‘Halo 3: something’ like ODST and finally giving classic fans what they want, forever.
They likely will have added sprint anyway as Halo 4 was meant to parallel with CoD considering everyone seemed to be into CoD at the time. So stopping Bungie from making Reach wouldn't have changed anything, Halo 3.5 would have likely been similar to Reach anyway in terms of armor abilities, including Sprint.
MysticKami wrote:
There have been a few time dilation events in Halo, but I don't think conventional time travel has a place in current lore. If the Precursors were capable of it in the past, sure. But no way 2562 humanity could crack it or even use it with any accuracy. If it were at all possible, it would have been used by those who came before and were more advanced.
Exactly and those were super cool, but rather not have Endgame in Halo. Let’s go back to Reach, and discover secrets about Cortana! Maybe there are a bunch of Hasley brain clones that produced a bunch of AI? But time travel back? Hard pass.
I don't really see why some folks are so resistant to the idea, bad stories would be bad stories regardless of the narrative conceit. At least it wouldn't be completely unprecedented in this particular universe.

A well done time travel story could be a fantastic celebration of Halo and a great way to reset the board and perhaps undo some of the less popular creative decisions that have been made over the years. A bad time travel story is a bad time travel story. I don't think that is fundamentally any worse than say, a bad robot uprising story...
Time travel to reset everything Halo games have build for 20 years,this would be too much.Then you have to bring all Characters back that would then be still alive.
WerepyreND wrote:
I don't really see why some folks are so resistant to the idea, bad stories would be bad stories regardless of the narrative conceit. At least it wouldn't be completely unprecedented in this particular universe.

A well done time travel story could be a fantastic celebration of Halo and a great way to reset the board and perhaps undo some of the less popular creative decisions that have been made over the years. A bad time travel story is a bad time travel story. I don't think that is fundamentally any worse than say, a bad robot uprising story...
I don't think that resetting the board would count as a celebration of Halo, and if they did go back to the past to change it, it would nullify any character development over the series.

Endgame did it nicely, because they simply took items from the past to fix the present, and then returned them. This didn't effectively change the past in a way that had major ramifications in the present (think the Butterfly Effect).
Where the hell Is all this time travel -Yoink- coming from?
WerepyreND wrote:

I don't think that resetting the board would count as a celebration of Halo, and if they did go back to the past to change it, it would nullify any character development over the series.

Endgame did it nicely, because they simply took items from the past to fix the present, and then returned them. This didn't effectively change the past in a way that had major ramifications in the present (think the Butterfly Effect).
Not every part of Halo is deserving of celebration and it seems like a better solution than either just sweeping the bad under the bed or having just straight up retcons. A soft reboot via some time travel conceit doesn't even erase the what came before nor does it prevent us from exploring new aspects of older characters.

Plowing ahead with the current timeline doesn't mean we will inherently get interesting character growth, it could just as easily result in characters that have bloated storylines rather than any meaningful development.

That being said its not as if I love the time travel idea, I just don't think that the story would be inherently worse just because it involves a time travel plot point.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Not every part of Halo is deserving of celebration and it seems like a better solution than either just sweeping the bad under the bed or having just straight up retcons. A soft reboot via some time travel conceit doesn't even erase the what came before nor does it prevent us from exploring new aspects of older characters.

Plowing ahead with the current timeline doesn't mean we will inherently get interesting character growth, it could just as easily result in characters that have bloated storylines rather than any meaningful development.

That being said its not as if I love the time travel idea, I just don't think that the story would be inherently worse just because it involves a time travel plot point.
It depends on how they would potentially use time travel in the story.
If Chief goes back to 2549 to stop Halsey from creating Cortana, it would drastically effect everything to do with the story moving forward. Every character and event that had interactions or consequences through her actions would be changed through her absence. Case in point, Cortana actively directs the POA to Alpha Halo based on Forerunner info, so without her they wouldn't find the first Halo. And even if by chance they did, there's no way Chief would have gotten as far as he did and escaped without her help.

If they went with an Endgame sort of route, by going back and copying a healthy Cortana, and returning to the present to fight the true Cortana, it would have little effect on the story and events between timelines, depending on how careful they were.
I don't particularly like either idea, but at least this one doesn't rewrite 20 years of established canon.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

It depends on how they would potentially use time travel in the story.
If Chief goes back to 2549 to stop Halsey from creating Cortana, it would drastically effect everything to do with the story moving forward. Every character and event that had interactions or consequences through her actions would be changed through her absence. Case in point, Cortana actively directs the POA to Alpha Halo based on Forerunner info, so without her they wouldn't find the first Halo. And even if by chance they did, there's no way Chief would have gotten as far as he did and escaped without her help.

If they went with an Endgame sort of route, by going back and copying a healthy Cortana, and returning to the present to fight the true Cortana, it would have little effect on the story and events between timelines, depending on how careful they were.
I don't particularly like either idea, but at least this one doesn't rewrite 20 years of established canon.
I agree, Halo has 20 years of established canon dont Star Wars us. Endgame was awesome because the way it was done, Halo should not copy that.