Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Please Take Halo back to its roots!!

OP Tohur

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
343 PLEASE take Halo back to its roots!... remove ALL the gimmicks from Reach 4 and 5 and let us enjoy what made Halo great.. remove unlimited sprint the stupid ground pound and spartan charge! also I know this was a big issue in reach but was in all Halo games in some form uptil 5 and forced you to be skilled with your weapons and not just spam and pray some how bring back recoil! recoil has been in Halo since CE and is very obvious playing even the MCC like for instance you can't just spray and pray with the AR with out loosing control of the weap.... most Halos the AR drifts up the longer you hold it.. in Halo 5 you can just hold the trigger and it fires it what ever direction you aim.. basically in Halo 5 its a noob weapon.. FIX IT. just don't bring bloom back to the extent it was in reach as to make everyone happy except the noobs with very little headshots because they only know how to kill with the AR bodyshots LOL. I got more things but don't want to rant just would hope you guys are wanting to take Halo back to its roots gameplay wise.
Okay, so which Halo game should it primarily take after? It's easy to say bring something back to its roots, but Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 all have things that make them play differently than before. Do we use health packs again ala CE? Does duel-wielding return ala Halo 2 and Halo 3? Does Equipment return ala Halo 3? Do we remove vehicle hijacking since it wasn't in CE? Do we keep the plasma pistol EMP from Halo 3?

Important questions.
Okay, so which Halo game should it primarily take after? It's easy to say bring something back to its roots, but Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 all have things that make them play differently than before. Do we use health packs again ala CE? Does duel-wielding return ala Halo 2 and Halo 3? Does Equipment return ala Halo 3? Do we remove vehicle hijacking since it wasn't in CE? Do we keep the plasma pistol EMP from Halo 3?

Important questions.
The Original trilogy period.. Halo 3 would a good start.. wouldn't mind if it took after Reach even some regarding some the movement.. Just get rid of the Spartan charge, Ground Pound and Unlimited sprint... they don't have to get rid of Sprint completely which is why I just brought Reach up...
Tohur wrote:

Important questions.
The Original trilogy period.. Halo 3 would a good start.. wouldn't mind if it took after Reach even some regarding some the movement.. Just get rid of the Spartan charge, Ground Pound and Unlimited sprint... they don't have to get rid of Sprint completely which is why I just brought Reach up...
Doesn't really narrow it down. Halo 3 as a base is fine, but then if we allow Sprint because Reach is deemed fine, why not other Armor Abilities?

Important questions.
I think it should primarily take after Halo 2 and 3, with duel wielding, equipment, No sprint but with Halo 2's base movement speed, Playable Elites etc.
I think they should also make the Armour customization and designs similar to Reach which has the best customization IMO.
T0m00se37 wrote:

Important questions.
I think it should primarily take after Halo 2 and 3, with duel wielding, equipment, No sprint but with Halo 2's base movement speed, Playable Elites etc.
I think they should also make the Armour customization and designs similar to Reach which has the best customization IMO.
yea even that would be great.. but regarding sprint they won't be able to completely get rid of it at this point.. which is why a good compromise would be sprint in Reaches style if they 100% got rid of sprint a large portion of the current players would leave lol... mainly Spartan Charge and Ground pound got to go and they need to fix at least the AR back to the way it used to work... now its just a easy weapon to use for noobs.. which is fine but it needs to be like the older AR and stop rewarding players to use the noob weapon.. they need to add the recoil back to it lol
I came back to this forum just for this topic after reading this:

Quote:
The goal of the entire 343 Industries team is to make a great Halo game for our fans that also invites new players into our franchise.
It sounds to me like they are going to tweak Halo gameplay to make it even more casual...
Personally I dislike the Halo 4 and 5 gameplays. After several month without playing an Halo game I went back and play a few Halo 5 games, I was kind of disgusted as it did not feel like a Halo game at all. I had to play Halo Reach to feel something like a real Halo gameplay. It is not only me but all the people I used to play Halo with (1, 2 , 3 and reach), do not play Halo anymore.

It would be really good if 343i could make Halo Inifinite feels more like Bungie-made Halo. Bu I do not believe it will happen, they do not care about Halo fans, they care about "their fans" (i.e. restricted to Halo 5 fans) and getting new players only.

Getting a bit more technical, I feel like Halo Reach has the best gameplay across all Halo. It takes the new features from Halo 2 and 3 (dual wielding, etc.) and feels more like Halo CE when you play (e.g. Grenades are more powerful). I do not mind sprint. The other abilities have to be carefully balanced, I would prefer to get something similar to Halo 3 with the bubble shield and other equipment.

But let's be honest movements are not everything, the enemies have their own importance. Killing robots is not fun and do not feel Haloish. The best Halo 5 story moments are when you fight Covenants.
Well.. I'm fine with whatever provides the best Halo experience but that is highly subjective from person to person.
In terms of Campaign, any ability or tool that will add to the experience of the mission in a positive way I believe should in the mission. That is, if it gives the player a sense of control or options. The reason Halo campaigns stand out from any other game I've played is the degree of replay-ability they have which is greatly due to variation of things and approaches to those situations. Maybe in some missions we have sprint but this greatly depends on what the mission is trying to accomplish. Is it providing a fun, unique/new, and engaging experience? I see many of the 'spartan abilities' as tools, much like the various weapons. You don't necessarily want allow the player access to all the weapons at all times. I think the same can be said for spartan abilities.
With that said, I'm all for a classic campaign gameplay experience but at the same time I don't want to completely rule out abilities or other unique new possible features that could add to the mission/s.

As far as multiplayer is concerned, I think they are gonna go for an experience similar (but different) to Halo 5. Perhaps with some more classic elements? That said, they definitely need a dedicated mode in at least the 'social' game mode playlist for classic Halo multiplayer (Halo 1-2). Personally, I really enjoyed Halo 5 multiplayer. Even Halo 4's multiplayer. I KNOW, I KNOW, HERESY! But those are my thoughts :P
I do not believe that Halo will return to a completely classical gameplay.
I very much believe that Sprint, at least, will stay considering it has been present for 3 Halo games already.
343 will not simply remove all that they have done in the past couple of years. Even the new artstyle is indicative that some elements, such as Warthog design, will remain in the game.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
I very much believe that Sprint, at least, will stay considering it has been present for 4 Halo games out of 8.
343 will not simply remove all that they have done in the past couple of years. Even the new artstyle is indicative that some elements, such as Warthog design, will remain in the game.
Sprint has only been in 3 games.. but sprint needs to go back to Reachs style.. not an armor ability but they need to make it not unlimited lol
Tohur wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
I very much believe that Sprint, at least, will stay considering it has been present for 4 Halo games out of 8.
Sprint has only been in 3 games.. but sprint needs to go back to Reachs style.. not an armor ability but they need to make it not unlimited lol
Whoops no idea why I said 4 games. I'll go edit that asap, thanks for pointing our my mistake.
Also I agree with you, sprint should not be unlimited and they should keep the mechanic where shields don't recharge.
Tohur wrote:

Important questions.
Doesn't really narrow it down. Halo 3 as a base is fine, but then if we allow Sprint because Reach is deemed fine, why not other Armor Abilities?
I think you're splitting hairs on this one. CE has quite a different style, though i would argue in terms of pacing and game flow; 2, a sped up (MLG) 3 and stripped down reach all play similar, even without changes those 3 have a lot in the same vein.

So if you do want a response for bringing it back to its roots i'd say do the things 4 or 5 don't do or don't do well that the others did, or one did well that everyone looks to.

1. No sprint, games can't be sluggish these days but a quick and fluid base movement and decent field of view is ideal.

2. Make weapon pickups and map control more important again; in 4 this was undermined by the sheer randomness of infinity settings, in 5 it was the advanced movement giving too much power that was difficult to punish with just a utility weapon, it also threw traditionally designed halo maps for a loop.

3. Solid user interface, i think even people that hate reach admit that in terms of utility this is the best interface we've had, push it further and keep it clear and succinct.

4. Decide beforehand what your staple playlists are, many playlists people considered mainstay have been rotational, have about 8 mainstays, 10 max with 2 monthly rotationals, or even rotate a small number of lesser playlists on a week by week basis, then it also won't spread the population to thin if it's limited to 10 at all times.

5. Make the multiplayer varied and diverse, don't put all your eggs in one basket like infinity settings or warzone, halo is well known for its options compared to other shooters.

6. Return the old medal design (this one's just a personal gripe)

7. Don't over-saturate the game with 2/10 quality armour sets, keep it simple but good quality, more customizable.

8. Be creative with map layouts, halo should have some more straightforward maps, but experimentation is key too, H4 didn't do a bad job (many just sucked unfortunately), H5 are 10 different shades of the same thing.

9. Prior to 4 there were very few weapon clones or weapons that served a similar role, the ones that did (post-CE pistol mainly) were obsoleted, each weapon should serve a distinct purpose and strive for less overlap, not 2-4 variants of the same thing.

10. This isn't as direct as the other points but halo is a game with strong community involvement, H2 had clans, never to be seen again, why not spend some development time on something which will help people connect, compare and compete and keep the longevity of the game going.

11. If advanced movement was to ever get ditched then there are still avenues for fresh movement options, most can be found in an unpolished version from previous halo games.like why not have 1 special nade slot, shrink bubble shield to have the size and make 3 shots destroy it, bubble nades, make grav lifts from 3 smaller and make grav nades; make jetpack, evade/thruster (2 uses so it's more aggressive), hologram etc map pickups, if they're limited to 1 or 2 people per map you can make them much stronger..it's only when all these things that have been jammed into reach, 4 or 5, are abundant and always used that there is an issue with balance and fairness.. even then they have to be a good concept for gameplay, hence why things like power drain, regen or bubble shield failed, they tipped the balance of the game without any ounce of skill.

12. make vehicles drive more quick and fluid, it's a feather in halos cap and it's not being put to good use.

13. All of bungies halos managed to capture a silly but serious vibe, maybe it was the death animations or the way things animated or exploded but i believe it has to do with its simple but effective design allowing for a range of pacing; calm and observational, wacky to intense, and a bit of humour, even if it's indirect. H5 even when played casually feels super serious 24/7, bar warzone which feels a tad forced, H4 is a similar offender.

LASTLY and most IMPORTANTLY make the things like music, art style, game feel and things of that nature to feel familiar. I picked up Mario Odyssey not long ago and was blown away, it is quite different from the others as is every Mario..BUT it still felt familiar in many different facets of the game, before making a change don't sweep away the familiarity, the point of a brand or franchise is that there is a common element..and since 343 arrived that common element that people call 'HALO' has been blurred due to the lack of adherence to all the little things, when it comes to familiarity it's what makes the difference.

I think these things are more universal to bungie halo and lacking in 343 halo or less prominent, enough to consider one 'roots' and the others not. I mean if you were to be over the top i'm sure i could make 100 points that are precise and not general, but i feel these ones bubbled to the top of what i feel are a priority for returning to its roots.
Tohur wrote:

Important questions.
I think you're splitting hairs on this one. CE has quite a different style, though i would argue in terms of pacing and game flow; 2, a sped up (MLG) 3 and stripped down reach all play similar, even without changes those 3 have a lot in the same vein.

So if you do want a response for bringing it back to its roots i'd say do the things 4 or 5 don't do or don't do well that the others did, or one did well that everyone looks to.

1. No sprint, games can't be sluggish these days but a quick and fluid base movement and decent field of view is ideal.

2. Make weapon pickups and map control more important again; in 4 this was undermined by the sheer randomness of infinity settings, in 5 it was the advanced movement giving too much power that was difficult to punish with just a utility weapon, it also threw traditionally designed halo maps for a loop.

3. Solid user interface, i think even people that hate reach admit that in terms of utility this is the best interface we've had, push it further and keep it clear and succinct.

4. Decide beforehand what your staple playlists are, many playlists people considered mainstay have been rotational, have about 8 mainstays, 10 max with 2 monthly rotationals, or even rotate a small number of lesser playlists on a week by week basis, then it also won't spread the population to thin if it's limited to 10 at all times.

5. Make the multiplayer varied and diverse, don't put all your eggs in one basket like infinity settings or warzone, halo is well known for its options compared to other shooters.

7. Don't over-saturate the game with 2/10 quality armour sets, keep it simple but good quality, more customizable.

8. Be creative with map layouts, halo should have some more straightforward maps, but experimentation is key too, H4 didn't do a bad job (many just sucked unfortunately), H5 are 10 different shades of the same thing.

9. Prior to 4 there were very few weapon clones or weapons that served a similar role, the ones that did (post-CE pistol mainly) were obsoleted, each weapon should serve a distinct purpose and strive for less overlap, not 2-4 variants of the same thing.

10. This isn't as direct as the other points but halo is a game with strong community involvement, H2 had clans, never to be seen again, why not spend some development time on something which will help people connect, compare and compete and keep the longevity of the game going.

11. If advanced movement was to ever get ditched then there are still avenues for fresh movement options, most can be found in an unpolished version from previous halo games.like why not have 1 special nade slot, shrink bubble shield to have the size and make 3 shots destroy it, bubble nades, make grav lifts from 3 smaller and make grav nades; make jetpack, evade/thruster (2 uses so it's more aggressive), hologram etc map pickups, if they're limited to 1 or 2 people per map you can make them much stronger..it's only when all these things that have been jammed into reach, 4 or 5, are abundant and always used that there is an issue with balance and fairness.. even then they have to be a good concept for gameplay, hence why things like power drain, regen or bubble shield failed, they tipped the balance of the game without any ounce of skill.

12. make vehicles drive more quick and fluid, it's a feather in halos cap and it's not being put to good use.

13. All of bungies halos managed to capture a silly but serious vibe, maybe it was the death animations or the way things animated or exploded but i believe it has to do with its simple but effective design allowing for a range of pacing; calm and observational, wacky to intense, and a bit of humour, even if it's indirect. H5 even when played casually feels super serious 24/7, bar warzone which feels a tad forced, H4 is a similar offender.

LASTLY and most IMPORTANTLY make the things like music, art style, game feel and things of that nature to feel familiar. I picked up Mario Odyssey not long ago and was blown away, it is quite different from the others as is every Mario..BUT it still felt familiar in many different facets of the game, before making a change don't sweep away the familiarity, the point of a brand or franchise is that there is a common element..and since 343 arrived that common element that people call 'HALO' has been blurred due to the lack of adherence to all the little things, when it comes to familiarity it's what makes the difference.

I think these things are more universal to bungie halo and lacking in 343 halo or less prominent, enough to consider one 'roots' and the others not. I mean if you were to be over the top i'm sure i could make 100 points that are precise and not general, but i feel these ones bubbled to the top of what i feel are a priority for returning to its roots.
Very thorough response….I agree with a lot of what you said.

I'd like to see sprint go...but would be just fine with a base player speed increase as a compromise.

And multiplayer absolutely needs to return to power weapon and map control. The power weapons in H5 respawn waaaayyyy to quickly. And medium-sized maps (not just mostly small with some large maps) need to return.
Tohur wrote:

Important questions.

Completely agree Halo just needs to go back to what made the game great before 4 came out.. don't get me wrong 4 nor 5 were completely bad and each had their strong points but they were NOT great in the same way every other Halo game was before them and 343i just needs to go back to what worked for the fans.. they say they want to please us old fans and yet bring new fans in.. well what they need to do is please us old fans first and foremost then try to bring new fans in by showing them what makes halo great.. not conform the game to the new fans.
Well I think it's at least a safe bet there won't be spartan charge and ground pound consideeing its already removed in H5 HCS.
Concerning the campaign side of things, other than some nice refinement over time in the sequels, 343 really does need to look at what's been lost. Halo1 for example is still tremendous fun regards to it's combat but there's also a sense of scale very much missing in all the sequels. The first game is very pure and shouldn't have been tinkered with quite so much when trying to improve the formula- at least regards to campaign. I hope they 343 studies just why Halo1 was quite so monumental outside of multiplayer at the time which in fairness is still fun but a little clunky. I've always maintained that Halo1 was essentially a fluke brought about by great minds that didn't really understand what they had created or why it worked quite as well as it did. Halo2 campaign for me proving this point very well
Please 343 keep evolving Halo.
Snockooz wrote:
the way be trying to do it has failed utterly! Bungie in Reach just threw crap at the wall to see what would stick not caring seeing as it was their last game with Halo.. 343i did the same with Halo 4 and 5 and both failed in one way or another.. 343i needs to take a step back go back to what worked in the Original Trilogy then move on from there.. throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks NEVER works except maybe the first game in a franchise
Tohur wrote:
Snockooz wrote:
the way be trying to do it has failed utterly! Bungie in Reach just threw crap at the wall to see what would stick not caring seeing as it was their last game with Halo.. 343i did the same with Halo 4 and 5 and both failed in one way or another.. 343i needs to take a step back go back to what worked in the Original Trilogy then move on from there.. throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks NEVER works except maybe the first game in a franchise
Resch was a lot of things but it wasnt a failure. 4 was a downgraded reach so it didnt do as well. 5 launch with less content than halo 2, player customization, the req system and no split screen. Had it launch with 75% of the content it has now it would have done significantly better.
They have to cater for both newer fans and older fans. Saying they should go back to the roots is wrong. Any type of media whether it be pictures, music or games need to expand or evolve. I agree that it does need to go back to it's roots but with any change they'll split the fanbase. Just look at Gears 4 and read the old threads. There has to be a balance or they risk splitting the playerbase. You can say what you want but as long as it is fun, has immersive and relatable story, I don't care that much. Halo 6 is probably built off of five and I trust 343 to make it enjoyable.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2