Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Potential for Didact Return in Halo Infinite

OP Vinman720

I am sure everyone heard Eschraum's mention of "The Harbinger" and how the Banished are aligned with whatever that is in goal. I for one, really hope this is a return of the Didact, as while I didn't think his portrayal in Halo 4 was the greatest it could have been, I think he is one of the coolest characters lore wise we have ever seen, and the parallels he shares with Chief on a thematic level are super exciting to me. Unfortunately, I am not as much of a lore head as I would like to be, so what do you guys out there think about how the Didact could potentially fit into Infinite's story as "The Harbinger"?

I worry that his inclusion might make the game very complicated due to the whole spiritual reboot aspect and the fact that we already likely have two villains in the Banished and Cortana's created (Unless the Created are not featured in the game), and I have been trying to think of cohesive ways that all of these characters could be integrated in a way that makes sense and ties together the 343 era of games a little better story wise. If that could be done well, I could see this being one of the greatest Halo campaigns of all time, taking the good aspects of all the games.

Side note: Would love Arbiter return too, if possible? Maybe epic final 3rd Act of the story a la Avengers Endgame featuring battle between Created, Flood, Swords of Sanghelios, and The Banished? Crazy thought, I know.
Could happen, he is not dead is he?

His conciseness lives on in a digital form after his encounter with Blue team IIRC.
If we get to kill him again. Why not. Never liked that guy.
Vinman720 wrote:
I am sure everyone heard Eschraum's mention of "The Harbinger" and how the Banished are aligned with whatever that is in goal. I for one, really hope this is a return of the Didact, as while I didn't think his portrayal in Halo 4 was the greatest it could have been, I think he is one of the coolest characters lore wise we have ever seen, and the parallels he shares with Chief on a thematic level are super exciting to me. Unfortunately, I am not as much of a lore head as I would like to be, so what do you guys out there think about how the Didact could potentially fit into Infinite's story as "The Harbinger"?

I worry that his inclusion might make the game very complicated due to the whole spiritual reboot aspect and the fact that we already likely have two villains in the Banished and Cortana's created (Unless the Created are not featured in the game), and I have been trying to think of cohesive ways that all of these characters could be integrated in a way that makes sense and ties together the 343 era of games a little better story wise. If that could be done well, I could see this being one of the greatest Halo campaigns of all time, taking the good aspects of all the games.

Side note: Would love Arbiter return too, if possible? Maybe epic final 3rd Act of the story a la Avengers Endgame featuring battle between Created, Flood, Swords of Sanghelios, and The Banished? Crazy thought, I know.
So we can fight him 30 more time no thanks.
Vinman720 wrote:

Like the Eternal Warden in Halo 5 lol.

Those recurring Warden boss fights were by far one of the main detractors that made the Halo 5 campaign the worse campaign in Halo history.
Vinman720 wrote:

More like one more time
I've waited a long time for more Didact personally, he just needs a better boss fight.
ApacheWR wrote:
Physical form you could argue and say yes. Technically he just got composed, and he still has his forerunner form connected with the domain. Currently reading the Forerunner Saga and I really don't want him to be a one game enemy. I actually kinda like him from reading the books.

But going to the OP I don't think the Harbinger is the Didact, I think its Mendicant Bias just because they said Installation 07 and.... well. Lore
speedyjr11 wrote:
ApacheWR wrote:
Physical form you could argue and say yes. Technically he just got composed, and he still has his forerunner form connected with the domain. Currently reading the Forerunner Saga and I really don't want him to be a one game enemy. I actually kinda like him from reading the books.

But going to the OP I don't think the Harbinger is the Didact, I think its Mendicant Bias just because they said Installation 07 and.... well. Lore
I really doubt that it is Mendicant Bias.
For one, he hasn't been on Zeta Halo for ages
and apart from that,
Spoiler:
Show
Vinman720 wrote:

I have spent the past several months wondering the same thing, and cruising the forums in search of a pheasable answer. One of the most popular theories is that since he was composed in the comic book, he made his way into the domain and some how took over cortana. Personally, I find this theory very possible. One of the things I read says that at one point in H5 cortana literally quotes the diadect word for word. And here’s a private thought of my own: the warden eternal. He looks something like the diadect. Could the warden be the diadect’s composed form, and is controlling cortana instead of vice versa?(also, there is already a thread about the arbiters return. I have very many posts there.)
In the Halo 5 conceptual art book, a version of the didact "after returning from digitization" appeared on one of the pages. And the truth is that it was really cool. Maybe we will see him in the future coming back.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
speedyjr11 wrote:
ApacheWR wrote:
why should he cooperate with the Banished when it was supposedly him who helped the Chief on the ark?
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
I'm really hoping that the Harbinger is the Didact. Presumably both him and the Banished would be opposed to Cortana's rule. Also, the Didact has previously shown that he's willing to command other species to meet his own ends.