Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Pre-Ordering... Should it stop here?

OP DRSLlives

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
343.... Should they be the first 'AAA' company in a long time to discontinue the practice of pre-ordering? Now don't get me wrong, it's convenient that people are reserving a copy of a game for themselves... However I heard it's giving the rise for videogame companies to gain money before the game is even released. So it doesn't matter if the game is bad, or released broken. All that matters is that they've already stripped you of your rightfully earned $60.00. So with a new Halo game that's still in some mighty production at this point. Should 343 take the extra modest steps of ending pre-ordering?
Has pre-ordering changed in the last two years?

I know that the retail stores, Namely Gamestop, use the money you put down to go towards the purchase of the title. GameStop buys the title from the distributor for $6-$8 dollars under the MSRP. In this transaction the retailer doesn't give your money to the distributor directly. They put it into their purchasing accounts.

Let's say you put your $5 down to hold a copy, but never come in to get it. That money at some point becomes the retailers'.

As for digital, I can't think of a solid reason to pre-order.

Edit: As Sack of Dongles said about the digital pre-order; preloading is a convenient feature to have.
You pre order a game you know you are going to get regardless if it's digital or physical. If it's physical, you are reserving a copy and the money stays with the retailer until the copies are purchased by the retailer. It also helps the retailer understand how many physical copies of a specific SKU they need to purchase, so they don't have shelves and shelves of LTD Edition Box Sets that never get picked up.

Digital is pretty much just for the ability to pre load and not have to worry about the download time when it's released.

There is enough information on most games dev cycle and process, that there is plenty of time and information available for a consumer to make an informed opinion about a pre order. People getting mad because they blindly preordered a game and didn't do enough research is the only problem, and that is a problem with consumer responsibility.
No, it won't stop here. Pre-ordering has become an important gauge that investors use to judge the profitability of a project. When Battlefield V's preorders failed to impress, it's launch window was pushed back to prevent competition with other upcoming AAA titles like RDR2 and BlOps4. As a result, EA stock took a hit.

That's why games tend to offer pre-order bonuses; pre-orders are like a pledge of money, and an early indicator of how much money a game will bring in. So bonuses are offered to entice and encourage pre-orders. With preorders being so important to investors, it's improbable that 343 will not make Infinite available via preorder. Whether some bonus will be offered to encourage preorders is also unknown, but quite likely.

Most retailers don't actually charge until the game is released, so it's not like that money is actually leaving your wallet early. Preordering is really just about encouraging that launch day purchase. If a game ends up being meh, non-preorders might read reviews and not purchase based on that. But those who preordered will at least try the game, and unless the game is actually bad or broken, most of those will probably not return it. So in some ways, preorders can lead to bad games getting "undeserved" support. But preorders don't inherently mean a game will be bad. If you don't agree with the practice, just simply don't preorder, no matter what bonuses they entice you with.
I don't know if pre-ordering is conducive to all of the problems right now, but it's assuredly the reason for most cases of disc-locked content and this ridiculous practice where seventeen copies of the same goddam game are sold at launch. But at the end of the day, it's not my job to stop people from making stupid decisions, so they can do whatever they want. One thing's for certain though: 343 ain't gonna be the first ones to stop pre-order culture. And honestly, as far as I'm concerned, if the devs are fair and honest with their stance on the matter—like with CDPR—then I have no qualms about it.
EDIT: Whoops, misread the post, snipping out the start of my comment~ 343i wouldn't be the first Triple A dev to stop pre-order bonuses, doesn't Nintendo already not do pre-order bonuses? Then there's CDPR, if they count as Triple A.
With that said /EDIT, I have stopped pre-ordering games in general, unless I know the game will be good and or is coming from Developers I know will make a good game. Examples of these are; Sakurai with Smash Bros and CD Project Red with whatever they make, honorable mentions go to Larian Studios and Supergiant Games.
If I'm interested in any other game and it sells out day one and turns out to be an amazing game nobody saw coming, I won't lose any sleep over it and wait till they re-stock. However, if they continue to make hit after hit with everyone loving every entry after the first, I may consider throwing them up on my list and start pre-ordering from them.
Note: Halo use to be on the list before getting taken down.
Bleh, reserving copies is literally a thing of the past, at this stage digital sales have slowly become more prevalent over physical copies and you can't run out of digital copies to begin with. If people pre order, it's not to reserve a copy anymore, it's more for the bonuses and the ability to pre load it before launch. Not saying there aren't cases of lacking copies, but in this day and age it's not so common and when it is, it's typically the special editions more so than standard.

I'm also not a believer that they get your money when you pre order, for one money doesn't transfer till a week from launch so that's plenty of time for people to cancel if they end up needing to or dislike what they've seen marketing wise. 2 since they don't get that money till launch, they're having to use their own money to build the game, it'd be pretty ignorant on their part slack off with their own money potentially going to waste. 3 even "if" pre orders ever was a guaranteed thing, we live in a world where things don't get produced without funding. So it wouldn't be like it's wasted money, you get what you pay for, you paid to fund developements of a project, not it's quality.

I don't care if 343 gets away from pre orders, I wouldn't see much of a point other than pleasing a crowd that sees it as an issue but then you'll have others asking where the special bonuses are for doing so.
I already have my pre-order set, and it’s so I’m able to get the collectors edition that comes with it. The pre-order also gives me the ability to pay it off over a long time before it releases, otherwise I’d never be able to afford the games and extras.
They're not going to do something that goes directly against their own interests. Also, as has been pointed out, the issue is not companies getting the money beforehand, per se. It doesn't matter when the publisher gets the money for the preorders. What matters is that since most people don't end up cancelling their preorders under normal circumstances, the number of preorders is a predictor of the game's success. Most importantly for the gamer, since few people bother to return a game even if they don't like it that much, preorders are reasonably guaranteed sales regardless of how the game ends up being received. In any case, they don't need to have your money, they just need enough evidence that they are eventually going to have your money.

It's really a responsibility of the consumer to decide whether preordering is something they should do (most of the time they probably shouldn't). I haven't personally preordered a game in six years and can only recommend others to try the same.
There is nothing wrong with preordering. You have the option to cancel and get your money back if you choose to.
It would be a big reputation booster with the hardcore gaming community. Every unreleased big game you see "no pre-order" memes plastered all over the internet, I think it'd be really cool if they did this. However that is up to Micrisoft. Will Micrisoft consider it? Hell naw lol
We should be the ones to stop pre ordering. After the halo 5 i will NEVER pre order a halo title again. As a community we should wait for the game to drop and see if 343 yoinked it up again before speaking with our wallets.
We should be the ones to stop pre ordering. After the halo 5 i will NEVER pre order a halo title again. As a community we should wait for the game to drop and see if 343 yoinked it up again before speaking with our wallets.
Im too much of a halo die hard to do that. Even if the game was biffed Id still play it to check it out.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Im too much of a halo die hard to do that. Even if the game was biffed Id still play it to check it out.
Rewarding bad behavior. Seems like a great idea.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Rewarding bad behavior. Seems like a great idea.
Im not rewarding bad behavior. Im simply paying for a game that Im interested in to play and check it out. Much like going to the movies. You first pay for it, then you watch it, and then and ONLY then can you judge or review it.
I don't judge anyone for pre-ordering. Personally, I would just have to be sure that the game is worth the money. I know Halo Infinite will be worth $60-$80 to me, just in the campaign alone. I'm a huge Halo and MC fan. That's why I will most likely be pre-ordering a limited edition copy. Pre-ordering from some retailers does not make sense to me though. For example, pre-ordering from Xbox is horrible. They charge you immediately and I'm not even sure if you can cancel the pre-order. I know they have a no return policy for digital games (which makes sense).

I think 343 has learned enough from the Halo 5 and MCC player counts.
Of course, if you want to wait and make sure....then do exactly that.
Don't get mad at someone else because they bought a game earlier than you.
maxammo365 wrote:
I don't judge anyone for pre-ordering. Personally, I would just have to be sure that the game is worth the money. I know Halo Infinite will be worth $60-$80 to me, just in the campaign alone. I'm a huge Halo and MC fan. That's why I will most likely be pre-ordering a limited edition copy. Pre-ordering from some retailers does not make sense to me though. For example, pre-ordering from Xbox is horrible. They charge you immediately and I'm not even sure if you can cancel the pre-order. I know they have a no return policy for digital games (which makes sense).

Xbox doesn't charge you immediately and they do let you cancel, furthermore if you lack the money to pay for it, they drop the order. I've got various games pre ordered right now and one that got dropped cause ultimately I didn't care for it.
maxammo365 wrote:

Xbox doesn't charge you immediately and they do let you cancel, furthermore if you lack the money to pay for it, they drop the order. I've got various games pre ordered right now and one that got dropped cause ultimately I didn't care for it.
My bad, looks like they changed it in July of this year. You still get charged before the game is actually released though (could be charged up to 10 days before the release date - Mike Ybarra)
Still not what I would do, but to each his own.
I think pre-orders for games should continue whatever the title or pre-ordering benefits, because we all like playing games.
No, it's your choice you're making to spend money on game that isnt reviewed just to have it day one. If you dont it preordered then just buy it on the day it launched or a couple days after to see reviews.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2