Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Pre-Ordering... Should it stop here?

OP DRSLlives

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I honestly don't see any point in pre ordering games anymore unless it's a collectors edition or something like this as those can run out (even then lots of times they don't)

Back in the day, you pre order just to make sure you got it day 1, that was it. Minus Sega Saturn days where the last year or so they only released so many copies of there games. I can remember Magic Knight RayEarth, Burning Rangers, Shinning Force 3 part 1 (god I wish Sega would release part 2 and 3 in North America) and Panzer Dragoon Saga (love that series, reason I bought Xbox along with Halo ;) ) only had I think 200,000-400,000 copies or something like this, released in North America, hence why you see copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga going for hundreds of dollars on eBay and such....

....but now retailer get hundreds of the standard copy of the game and as UEG ShadowAngel says, they can't run out of digital copies lol

People now pre order for the bonuses but nine times out of ten, those bonuses are garbage or something you can get in game, so who cares. Personally, I haven't pre order the standard edition of a game in a very long time. I don't pre order anymore unless it is a collectors edition or something. The last one I did was Halo 4 collectors edition system which included the game (hard copy too I might add) I didn't get the Halo 5 system or the legendary edition or whatever that was called with the statue because of no hard copy with either one (I did end up getting it later for $40 though lol decent looking statue I must say) and to be honest I really felt both, but especially the system bundle, was massively over priced too but I digress here.

Back to your post OP, but I don't think 343I or anyone should stop because it makes no sense for them too, especially business wise. If we want pre-order practices to change then we as the consumer need to stop pre ordering, but I don't think people will. Even when I did preorder I always put down the bare minimum, as personally I've never understood why someone would want to pay it all upfront before getting there product. I'd rather have my money for that x amount of time while iiwait for the game to come out and have it making money for me (even if it's only a few bucks) instead of giving it to a company and having my money make money for them.
There is enough information on most games dev cycle and process, that there is plenty of time and information available for a consumer to make an informed opinion about a pre order. People getting mad because they blindly preordered a game and didn't do enough research is the only problem, and that is a problem with consumer responsibility.
In my case, you're spot on my friend. I used to go dark on Halo a week or two before release, I wanted no spoilers and I always had the top tier physical edition pre-ordered. After Halo 5 ? Never again, if I had know about the req system I would have passed on Halo 5. I'll be watching and reading everything I can to make an informed decision with new Halo games, as things stand I'm not even buying Halo Infinite, I hope to, I'll see what 343i do.
hi friend
Typically, when you pre-order a physical copy, you don’t pay the full amount upfront. In-store, GameStop will take a minimum of $5 to reserve a copy, then you pay the balance when you pick it up. Pre-ordering from Amazon charges your card for the full amount once your order ships.
see whats help you
It won’t end, do I think it should? Not really. Pre ordering isn’t to insure your copy during launch they have a plethra of copies from the get go not to mention most people opt for digital anyways. I support the company which is why I pre order (plus collectibles what can I say I’m guilty). And they use it as a gauge of sorts to see how popular their game is being received. A recent example is BFV. They post poned launch because their game wasn’t being received well via pre orders
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2