Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

( PREDICTIONS ) Open world.. or nah?

OP Invy Clapz

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The first Halo was announced as an open world game at Macworld in 1999; I might actually play infinite if they returned to this form.
Not fully. I doubt 343I would do that. I think it is going to be a much larger scale than Halo: Combat Evolved in the Mission "Halo." In that game (speaking for those that have not played [Hetesy!]

Spoiler just in case. Although it is probably unescessary, better safe than sorry!
Spoiler:
Show
The mission is all open space. But generated in groups via the words

Loading..... Done

It was fairly quick for the system to do and made the game appear open world when, in reality, it was just a semi-large map that you could choose the place to go. I would say some Forge Maps could probably make the map now. Never tried or looked though. I am making Chiron right now. Just finished Gephyrophobia. May choose to do a campaign mission. Or maybe turn a portion of the campaign into a Multiplayer Map. And I think I know just the one! The Maw is a fantastic Mission with great potential for a few Forge maps. As is AotCR. And maybe The Library (if done correctly....)

"Oh, you can't imagine how exciting this is!"

-343 Guilty Spark
The Maw, The Horse You Rode in on. Nov. 15th, 2001.
Halo CE did it good. Its like an Open LEVEL instead of open world. Frank o Connor did refer to "map/mission" as capacious. Whether he referred to the game as a whole is up for question.

https://twitter.com/franklez/status/911308254847787009?s=20
I think it is time for Halo to evolve. If they can find the right balance between open world gaming with a linear storyline. Throw in the right amount of RPG and they could be onto a winning formula.
while I think an open world halo game could work very well, I don't think the main story line is the best place to experiment with an entirely different genre of game, plus I don't understand where the "infinite will/should be an open world game" idea came from because if anything it seems to me that 343 would approach the campaign more how hce was handled, except maybe on a slightly larger scale.
Larger, more open levels would be my preference.
I can see them doing something like halo CE in the 2nd mission Halo but instead of doing the same thing have different objectives and make it to where the ones you choose to do first effect game play later making the game people want to play it more than once like witcher 3 and please stop changing the art style of stuff like weapons and vehicles and the sound of the worthog is terrible its supposed to sound like a diesel truck not a NASCAR the shot gun and rocket launcher look nothing like the OG ones and it's just not halo to me
Hope not. I think 343i tried to "get with the times" with the enhanced mobility system, and it didnt go so well for them when it came to some of the fans. I for one, embraced the enhanced movement, but that's neither here nor there.
So in the sense of "getting with the times" and going for an open world design, could be detrimental to the series. Doesn't have to be a corridor shooter like others, but a vast open world, a-la Far Cry, doesn't exactly fit the mold of Halo. At least for the mainline story.
I like the fact they changed the mobility in there games. you feel more like a super soldier. I get why people dont like it though it dosnt feel the same the only thing i like is that you can sprint the rest I dont care much for
I'd love an Open World Halo again. Imagine using a Command Shuttle or a UNSC Base as a hub and you do missions on different parts of the Ring.
Open world? No. More expansive and non linear yes. The best example is ODST or CE. The objective is the same but you approach in whatever order or do it your way. Halo 5 was the framework with different paths and such to compliment your play style. I would prefer my halos to keep a semi linear story just for flow. Things tend to be missed in open world games. But an open world fallout style halo spinoff would be neat. But shouldn’t be the goal for infinite
I would be v surprised if they ditched the traditional level by level campaign and replaced it with an open world.

As many have said, I envision very expansive levels with huge sandboxes and multiple objectives. I don't see every level being like this, but the majority - end of the game will have more of a sense of urgency I'd imagine, and more restrictive level structure.

I personally don't believe a change this drastic is needed, saying that I do expect really expansive levels, esp if Halo CE seems to be their inspiration for a lot of the world building.
I like the idea of an open world Halo game and think it would be fun to explore everything after the game ends, but i do understand that not many people want that so maybe it could be something like borderlands 2, where its basically open world but its divided into segments that aren't as open as a normal open world game but still open enough to fit enough stuff in it maybe having different regions or biomes then split those into segments with varying appearances
I like the idea of an open world Halo game and think it would be fun to explore everything after the game ends, but i do understand that not many people want that.
It depends on who you're asking. My youngest son, who is part of the future generation of gamers and even developers watched the first episode of Lost in Space on Netflix last night. He stated that he loved it and immediately followed up with, that would make a great game. I asked him how ? He wanted an open world action adventure.

He also wants Halo to be open world action adventure. He also prefers the look of Halo 5 and was not impressed with how Master Chief looked in this years E3 video, as Halo 5 was his first Halo I get that. There are several generations of Halo players, I think 343i will have a tough job appealing to all. I would be ok with open world tbh.
It doesn't need to be open world, it just needs to allow you to approach situations in a lot of different ways, and in a lot of different orders. I personally think of "Halo" from CE. At the end you can rescue the stranded marines in whatever order you'd like. I also wouldn't mind an open world-ish approach similar to what Gears 5 did. It does not need to be Breath of the Wild or the Witcher though.
I think it is time for Halo to evolve. If they can find the right balance between open world gaming with a linear storyline. Throw in the right amount of RPG and they could be onto a winning formula.
I truly agree with you, and I really wish more fans of this series would as well. Honestly, some of the best games in recent years are like this. For example: God of War[2018], that changed to a completely different genre compared to the original series, and that game was Game of the Year last year. And that game was Open World. I truly do believe Halo could thrive if it was done right in a new style like this. And I don't mean a copy/paste of GoW, was just an example.
I truly agree with you, and I really wish more fans of this series would as well. Honestly, some of the best games in recent years are like this. For example: God of War[2018], that changed to a completely different genre compared to the original series, and that game was Game of the Year last year. And that game was Open World. I truly do believe Halo could thrive if it was done right in a new style like this. And I don't mean a copy/paste of GoW, was just an example.
God of War is an excellent game. Having played all the previous titles I was very wary of the newest title as I knew they had changed it. I was happy with what we got, and so were millions of others if sales are anything to go by. I think Halo should evolve too, I would have no issues with an open world Halo. Halo games have had some of the most beautiful backdrops, but it's always a case of look but don't touch.
A Gears of War 5 style Open World game would be fine by me.
I kind of hope not. I don't think an open world halo would really fit the series and would feel more like Destiny to me if they did.
No, there is almost zero chance Infinite is going to be a true "open world" game in the vein of Borderlands. That would simply be too big of a departure from the series roots and would, in my opinion, hurt 343's ability to craft a tailored, intimate story.

What I do believe we will have is a traditional, chronological set of levels, but the individual levels will be larger or "quasi-open world".

Think level 4 (The Silent Cartographer) from Halo:CE. It is arguably the most beloved campaign level from any Halo game. It was "open world" in so far as you could technically go anywhere you wanted within that level from the start. However, it was still a self-contained level that was geographically separate from all other levels and was only accessible in a specific sequence (after Truth and Reconciliation).

I think we will see more of this type of level design in Infinite.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2