( PREDICTIONS ) Open world.. or nah?

OP Invy Clapz

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Considering one of the devs stated on Twitter that "exploration will be rewarded", I believe that they will at least make it non-linear. A complete open world like ones presented in games such as Far Cry and Skyrim would not fit the Halo formula of linear missions with some open areas. Perhaps when choosing a mission you will have a main objective, but enemies will not be constantly prevalent and the objective will not always come first. Maybe finding new things like weapons and armor abilities is the "reward" alluded to in the twitter post. There might be other smaller things to discover within the mission bounds, similar to skulls or easter eggs. This is just my two cents, so please don't base your theories around the ones presented here. Basically just take everything I said with a handful of salt.
Considering one of the devs stated on Twitter that "exploration will be rewarded", I believe that they will at least make it non-linear. A complete open world like ones presented in games such as Far Cry and Skyrim would not fit the Halo formula of linear missions with some open areas. Perhaps when choosing a mission you will have a main objective, but enemies will not be constantly prevalent and the objective will not always come first. Maybe finding new things like weapons and armor abilities is the "reward" alluded to in the twitter post. There might be other smaller things to discover within the mission bounds, similar to skulls or easter eggs. This is just my two cents, so please don't base your theories around the ones presented here. Basically just take everything I said with a handful of salt.
I can see your thought process. But remember also the game will be a "Spiritual Reboot" and is going to try to bring back older elements while doing new things. With that in mind, I think Halo 1, Mission 2 or Halo 3 on the Ark mixed with the Outer Worlds opening section with the rewards being something like scenery and easter eggs like Halo 4 along with a lot of powerful weapons scattered about or ammo crates. I don't really expect a MMO. I hope they don't follow what Bungie is doing with Destiny. I love Destiny. But Halo would not fit in that manner without violating the lore on Reach.
Probably more like ODST but expanded.
I'd rather have the classic campaign style.
I would say probably not in a traditional sense like a Witcher 3, or Skyrim etc.

I think what *could* be a possibility would be a Gears 5 style linear but has open-hub world components. If you havn't played Gears 5 there are two major large areas that allow the player to explore and do some little side missions but in no way shoe-horns the player into the doing the exploration and side missions and could just go right to the "main" missions in those areas.

These two areas are surrounded in the front end and back end by traditional linear narrative progression. This very much keeps a linear story to be told with certain set ups and progressions but allows some nice open areas to explore.

I thought it was done fairly well and could definitely see Halo doing something similar. What I *think* will happen is probably something more akin to Halo CE with very large missions that allow the player to go to and fro to complete objectives.
I'd rather have the classic campaign style.
If you think about it, the classic campaign was not exactly linear anyway. With the speedrun tactics used, you can claim the whole game of Combat Evolved is semi open world. The version that launched on Mac was the same way. Semi open world. While your destination was always a single point, there was always multiple ways to go to said destination. It has always been that way too. But Halo Combat Evolved was the most obvious. Like Silent Cartographer. Or Halo (Mission.) Or The Ark. Or Sacred Icon. Many of these missions were missions that let you choose a direction but still ended up in the same place. One really good example is The Maw. In particular the Warthog Run. You can cut many corners and finish it in less than 5 minutes if done right. I don't really know the Warthog run on The Maw world reccord. But it is pretty fast.

Anyway. If you want the old playstyle, you are saying you are accepting of a semi open world with a linear intention. Just like most of us here.

Thought I should make you aware in case you were trying to imply you want a strictly linear game like Halo 5 or 4.

Edit: fixed a double negative error. Not followed by non. Indicated the reverse of my intention.
No, there is almost zero chance Infinite is going to be a true "open world" game in the vein of Borderlands. That would simply be too big of a departure from the series roots and would, in my opinion, hurt 343's ability to craft a tailored, intimate story.

What I do believe we will have is a traditional, chronological set of levels, but the individual levels will be larger or "quasi-open world".

Think level 4 (The Silent Cartographer) from Halo:CE. It is arguably the most beloved campaign level from any Halo game. It was "open world" in so far as you could technically go anywhere you wanted within that level from the start. However, it was still a self-contained level that was geographically separate from all other levels and was only accessible in a specific sequence (after Truth and Reconciliation).

I think we will see more of this type of level design in Infinite.
Just saying, borderlands is not true open world
Fair enough. Far Cry would have been a better example.
A mostly open world until you start doing missions and maybe some in game choices that we have to make
A hub world like in Sonic Adventure where there are mini games to help you hone your skills
I think they should do an open world side game like odst to test the Waters. I think done right it could be huge for the Halo universe.
I am in agreement that with all the existing elements in Halo 343 could actually pull off an open-world style game if done correctly. And it does seem to be going that direction. You'd definitely have a lot of people up in arms as can be seen even in just this discussion. However, I really do believe it could work.

People have brought up missions like 'The Ark' from H3 or 'Silent Cartographer' in CE as examples of a 'soft open-world' experience. And while on the topic of the Campaign, those definitely are areas of big scope containing smaller ones that I could see as a vital part of the bigger open-world picture. Now, haven't you ever looked in the background of the missions your on, down on the distant ground below, and thought, "Oh, I wish I could go there…" or seen epic grand scale battle cutscenes from Reach or Halo Wars and wanted to be part of the action? This is where the more traditional open-world landscapes would come into the picture. While on most missions you might be in more traditional campaign layouts, you would occasionally be put in these large landscapes where either an all out war is taking place as you try completing your specific goal or your hunting down a larger than life machine controlled by a huge Lekgolo colony which is made possible only because of this huge new area. Another open-world centered mission would see you flying downward toward it with only your Spartan armor to assist you, and you'd come swiftly down just as Team Osiris did in the opening cutscene of H5, greatly affecting the outcome of the mission experience as you choose your landing spot.

Again, like you said, the untapped potential here is enormous if truly capitalized on!

The whole open-world/campaign system would work much like ODST where your definitely part of the open-world but focusing on missions sets you on a path that feels like a combination of ODST&CE. You could also manually select the next mission instead of traversing all the way to it. This still wouldn't mean you'd get to explore every single possible spot in the area because of the mission guidelines or situation. For example, you could be under a tight time limit like in CE's mission 'The Maw' but after the campaign is complete, in open-world 'mode' you could explore new spots that were previously hidden or unblocked. Most if not all PvP 'maps' could be found in the open-world too and would likely have unique purposes in it. Not to mention Firefight from ODST/Reach could be implemented in a seamless way in the open-world. Anyway, If done right, the fact that all these missions are part of a larger interconnected open-world should hardly cross your mind, or whenever it does it should create more of an awe factor.

Now, there is at least one big elephant in the room and that of course is microtransactions… Thing is, its not so much a question of if but how. And how they handle it will likely be crucial to the game's popularity.
As a side note, one of the more likely methods they'll adopt seems to be a sort of season-pass of at least mostly cosmetics as that seems to be the format every other game, such as Destiny-2, is now implementing. Microsoft/343 seem to be testing those waters with the implementation of it in MCC with Reach items. Looking at Gears-5 might be another good way of figuring out how Microsoft is thinking of handling MTX in Halo Infinite...
For those of you wondering, no, I don't play Destiny 2. Made the mistake of playing the first one till the bitter end...
Now if Infinite is gonna have open-world esque elements then it makes sense to me the various ways MTX could be done. Now this is purely wild speculation on my part based off the unconfirmed notion that the game will be generally open-world but nonetheless here we go.. This is where RPG elements would probably come in as you'd play your very own Spartan, much like you did in Reach or constantly do in multiplayer. Now while you could certainly make progress to upgrade your Spartan's armor, weapons/loadout, abilities, and such, MTX might make this process much easier. However, I think the main utilization of MTX would be to buy cosmetics (sprays, trinkets, effects, patterns) for everything your Spartan uses. I'd imagine you could buy some things specifically for an overblown price or you could buy a previously mentioned overall cheaper season-pass which contains a bunch of cosmetics but have to be 'earned' through experience gained in the open-world and multiplayer modes.
Its not ideal but unfortunately thats what we have to deal with when it comes to big corporations if we decide to buy into their games… If it worked something like this then I'd find it bearable enough so long as the gameplay content doesn't suffer as a result (which would very likely actually be an issue).

Well, I know that was kinda a downer topic to end on but thats all my main thoughts on Halo Infinite's future concerning the potential open-world aspect. Now understand, I've played the Halo franchise since the first game but I don't want it to feel stuck only in its past. Games like Halo should keep what makes them special, experiment a little, and expand upon what makes them so much fun! Keep the franchise from going stale but stay true to its roots. I think thats something most everyone can agree on. Maybe just not on what those roots are, lol.
Not saying that I'm completely against the idea of open world but I'd rather have a just more expanded levels were you could go alternate ways. Or just have it go on for a decent amount of time before having to "return to battlefield" or you hit a cliff. I guess what i'm trying to say is that they expand the map of the mission.
World like Halo CE, where you can explore a bit but still found your way to go to the next mission objective
I think that for Halo to adapt to an open-world game, it'd need to fundamentally change it's core a lot, which would upset a lot of people. I'm personally not sure of the idea.
Instead of an open-world, it'd take a DOOM approach. Let the world be expansive and open, but focused on the objective. Additionally, it should emphasize treasure hunting. Now, Halo isn't stranger to treasure hunting, but I feel it can be expanded, and DOOM 2016's levels would be phenomenal. Exploration in that game is superb and makes you scratch your head at how well hidden some secrets were and how you got to them. Sometimes it's right under your nose.

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in an open-world Halo game. I can see a similar formula to Destiny working so damn well. Imagine: dozens of planets ripe for exploration and combat. Reach, Earth, Moon, Io, Tribute, Chi Ceti IV, Sanghelios, Doisac, even the Halos, the Ark and Shield Worlds, all with the UNSC Infinity serving as the "tower" or the Social space.
I wish I could imagine this as more than a Halofied Destiny, but I can't imagine anything different enough as of now.
Invy Clapz wrote:
I've been rather interested with the fact that most games in 2019-20 have been aiming with the thought of open world on their minds. For example, it really kicked up with the bigger world the Legend of Zelda build in Breath of the Wild. Furthermore, I'd think Halo would fit perfectly with a open world style. The wide range of enemies in the series, weapons, and vehicles just are a proven fact. But the down side is the community wanted a classic Halo experience.. But could you mix the two? Thought this would be a interesting debate, heh.
I really think that it could possibly work out, but not in the way that you might be thinking of.

When I hear about open world Halo my mind immediately jumps to a Destiny style game, maybe replacing the Tower with the Infinity. I honestly think there is some potential for it but they should probably keep full on open world out of campaign.

One thing I would like to definitely see is a retry of Spartan Ops, with an open world mode called Spartan Ops or something similar, I think it would be extremely successful. Having a sort of linear storyline with less emphasis on the Chief and more on exploration would be absolutely amazing as long as it’s not too cluttered.
Maybe odst/reach/h5 ff will be open world?
Pvp wz arena and regular mm wont be open world?
I think both Halo CE, and...ready for this...Crysis 2 had a good way of urging the player foward. They both had large, sprawling areas that felt open and capable of being explored, while still retaining smaller, corridors to traverse, in order to keep the level going.
I think a map style like the recent God of War would be sweet. It's kind of an open world hybrid. You could have a hub in the game that feels like an open world but branches out to different missions and you could pick which order to do them. As you progress, more of the map is unlocked with more missions. There could be certain locations where you go to engage in PvP as well.
No open world for Halo plz. Maybe larger levels/ missons. Although ODST had the night mission as an open world we already missed another chance for h5 to do something similar. Osiris could've hunted for clues in a prowler and each time they found clues you'd play a blue team mission. Could've been sick.

Halo Infinite should just be a straight forward story.
No, I'd prefer a traditional "level based" campaign simply because that affords the developers the ability to more carefully craft each encounter and story beat.

What I do think is going to happen though is that each level, though self-contained, is going to be much more "open world" in design.

Think Silent Cartographer from Halo:CE. It's a separate level that you can only access after beating the previous level, but it's "open world" in so far as you can basically go where you want within that space and have multiple routes to explore after storming the beach.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4