Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Proof we will fight more than the banished?

OP Nadekill1379

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo Infinite's summary says Master Chief will face the greatest foe he's ever faced. I can't imagine that is referring to the banished. They are smaller and less powerful than the covenent. My guess is it will be the Harbinger mentioned in the 2020 demo.
Halo Infinite's summary says Master Chief will face the greatest foe he's ever faced. I can't imagine that is referring to the banished. They are smaller and less powerful than the covenent. My guess is it will be the Harbinger mentioned in the 2020 demo.
To be fair I'm pretty sure that line has been used on a few movie/game summaries in general. Its just marketing gibberish.

That said, I feel like the Heatwave does point to us encounting some sort of forerunner-like enemy. Its clearly not a UNSC or banished weapon, and isn't something that'd make sense to be mounted on a sentinel.
To be fair I'm pretty sure that line has been used on a few movie/game summaries in general. Its just marketing gibberish.

That said, I feel like the Heatwave does point to us encounting some sort of forerunner-like enemy. Its clearly not a UNSC or banished weapon, and isn't something that'd make sense to be mounted on a sentinel.
Agreed. It’s sounds like the typical marketing fluff you’d find on the back of game box art.

I feel you on the Heatwave, deffo not Banished or UNSC. Hopefully it’s part of a Promethean revamp.

Agreed. It’s sounds like the typical marketing fluff you’d find on the back of game box art.

I feel you on the Heatwave, deffo not Banished or UNSC. Hopefully it’s part of a Promethean revamp.
Heatwave?
Just watch the Infinite development vedio, in one scene the Chief is fighting with the sentinel, about 23mins.

Heatwave?
The new gun that does vertical and horizontal pew pews.

Are we mistaking the name?

Heatwave?

Seems to be correct https://www.halopedia.org/Heatwave

The Heatwave kind of seems like a reworked scattershot, which makes me think that the Prometheans may appear.
H5 spoiler, who the enemy could be?
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah I am really not sure what’s up with campaign. If they’re retconning or skipping the whole Cortana/Guardians thing then they need something of a similar scale to replace it with.

The Banished just aren’t that. In Halo Wars 2 the game also made them centre stage and was kind of underwhelming for two reasons IMO:

- The game never explains what the Banished motivation or end goal is. It’s asserted out of nowhere that we should be worried about Atriox getting a ring and attacking humanity but that’s not a motivation; that’s what he’s doing. With the Covenant they’re doing that because of religion and have a very real reason to hate humanity. The Banished don’t have any reason that’s been given about why they would want a Halo ring or want a war with the UNSC. Why would a group which claims it’s not the Covenant be doing exactly what the Covenant did? Juls Storm Covenant where he’s manipulating the Old Believers for power makes way more sense.

The Banished are depicted as just another Covenant splinter group. There’s some big talk in the intro to HW2. But taking down a bunch of unarmed scientists and taking advantage of the Ark portal closing makes then across as opportunists rather than an actual credible threat. The UNSC would have easily beat them without the Guardians taking out their fleet and homeworlds. In fact until insert plot device from the trailer “deleted Cortana”, per the books they were scampering around terrified of that AI so I guess they’re a big deal now.

The Banished aren’t an Endgame level threat like the Flood or the Didact. If we re just fighting Banished all game it would get pretty dull and wouldn’t have those high stakes. In every main Halo game apart from Halo 5 the galaxy faced utter annihilation from these insidious threats.

Having a surprise faction be it the Flood or the Prometheans or the even the Guardians adds to the drama. If it’s just the Banished you won’t have that.

Basically the Banished on their own are going to be a little boring.

As for Infinite. I am worried that the game is going to end with a cliffhanger. If it’s ten years of Halo they would have to do that so certain plot beats might get pushed into that. A bit like how Destiny 2 teased the Darkness and then made a load of season campaigns building up to that. I think the Harbinger is some kind of Precursor or a Mendicant Bias style AI who is going to unleash the Flood. I just feel like we would have heard it by now if they were in. 343 wants to promote the game, why wouldn’t you say we’re bringing Flood back?

As for proof: if we had like three or four Promethean style weapons then that would be a faction. If it’s just one I feel that more an omage or reference. Bit like the sentinel beam and in fact it might be mounted on sentinels. The Prometheans were meant to be Cortanas Terminator robot army. If, as the trailer strongly suggests, they’ve dropped that plot point, then the Prometheans don’t serve any purpose anymore that can’t be done by sentinels. They MIGHT come back as allies potentially depending on what happens on this ten years of Halo story they want to tell but that’s speculation.

Normally I’d say the proof would be that they’ve said this game is a spiritual reboot and a new Halo CE. The Flood showing up and having those big multi faction battles was a massive part of Halo CE. It should be a given that there’s more than one enemy faction (sentinels don’t count) but I am concerned this is ODST 2 where it’s just the Covenant enemies.

Also some of the audio recording shorts 343 put out really sound like Flood screeches and it feels like they did a lot of Forerunner audio for just the sentinels. Plus I think a Youtuber made the argument that they were doing recordings of Tasmanian devils which apparently is where the Promethean sound comes from; not sure how accurate that claim is.
Yeah I am really not sure what’s up with campaign. If they’re retconning or skipping the whole Cortana/Guardians thing then they need something of a similar scale to replace it with.

The Banished just aren’t that. In Halo Wars 2 the game also made them centre stage and was kind of underwhelming for two reasons IMO:

- The game never explains what the Banished motivation or end goal is. It’s asserted out of nowhere that we should be worried about Atriox getting a ring and attacking humanity but that’s not a motivation; that’s what he’s doing. With the Covenant they’re doing that because of religion and have a very real reason to hate humanity. The Banished don’t have any reason that’s been given about why they would want a Halo ring or want a war with the UNSC. Why would a group which claims it’s not the Covenant be doing exactly what the Covenant did? Juls Storm Covenant where he’s manipulating the Old Believers for power makes way more sense.

The Banished are depicted as just another Covenant splinter group. There’s some big talk in the intro to HW2. But taking down a bunch of unarmed scientists and taking advantage of the Ark portal closing makes then across as opportunists rather than an actual credible threat. The UNSC would have easily beat them without the Guardians taking out their fleet and homeworlds. In fact until insert plot device from the trailer “deleted Cortana”, per the books they were scampering around terrified of that AI so I guess they’re a big deal now.

The Banished aren’t an Endgame level threat like the Flood or the Didact. If we re just fighting Banished all game it would get pretty dull and wouldn’t have those high stakes. In every main Halo game apart from Halo 5 the galaxy faced utter annihilation from these insidious threats.

Having a surprise faction be it the Flood or the Prometheans or the even the Guardians adds to the drama. If it’s just the Banished you won’t have that.

As for Infinite. I am worried that the game is going to end with a cliffhanger. If it’s ten years of Halo they would have to do that so certain plot beats might get pushed into that. A bit like how Destiny 2 teased the Darkness and then made a load of season campaigns building up to that. I think the Harbinger is some kind of Precursor or a Mendicant Bias style AI who is going to unleash the Flood. I just feel like we would have heard it by now if they were in. 343 wants to promote the game, why wouldn’t you say we’re bringing Flood back?
It's fairly motivational for the UNSC to pick a fight with the banished to stop a warlord taking control of the single most powerful construct in the known galaxy, it's also equally motivational for Atriox to take said weapon to dominate the galaxy as a warlord.
In terms of Banished motivations, sometimes it's best to not know right away, have the player raise those questions and get interested into the faction.

It's fairly motivational for the UNSC to pick a fight with the banished to stop a warlord taking control of the single most powerful construct in the known galaxy, it's also equally motivational for Atriox to take said weapon to dominate the galaxy as a warlord.
In terms of Banished motivations, sometimes it's best to not know right away, have the player raise those questions and get interested into the faction.
Because the previous Halo games depict the idea that using the Halo rings is incredibly stupid. They’re built to kill all life in the galaxy. Sure, Atriox could blackmail the galaxy but what stops people calling his bluff? Is he really going to kill 99 percent of his own species in the Milky Way? You can do tactical pulses but you can destroy planets with a Warfleet and you’d need to explain more about what he wants out of this. Basically I couldn’t get what they were fighting over in Halo Wars 2. Brute wants ring, that has to be bad. What’s the threat? If he doesn’t believe in the Covenant faith then he won’t commit suicide and fire the Halo ring.

If he just wanted power why are his followers constantly saying they’re going to destroy humanity? In one of the books he insists a religious brute chieftain kill his own Human sympathisers rather than let them on his ship. Again, that’s never explained. If they don’t believe in the Covenants mandate that humans needed to purged then they have no reason to have that mindset.

If it was a mystery then characters in Halo Wars 2 would be asking the question on their motives to prompt us to ask that question. The fact the writers don’t do that suggests they want you to take the conflict at face value. We get an intro cutscene explaining their origin and then it’s all “we need to save the galaxy from a monster”.

I am not saying Halo Infinites campaign would be unplayable or a bad game. But it would be a worse game if the Banished are the only faction. Halo Wars 2 did a poor job of establishing who they actually are and why we should care. I am not expecting mountains of backstory but they have to explain what the factions goals are, the scale of the threat and why they have an issue with humanity specifically. The Covenent, the Didact and Jul I could easily list off all those reasons but I got nothing for the Banished.
i'm pretty certain the main enemy is the banished, the line is probably just more for marketing to reel people in.

Heatwave?

Oh right thanks.

Heatwave?

Oh right thanks.
No, no, I honestly wasn’t sure.

My flight link was buggy, so I didn’t get to have the sort of hands-on experience that would sink the names of stuff into my brain, lol.
I'm 95% sure Flood will be another enemy to fight along with the Banished. There hasn't been a single Halo Ring we been on where we haven't encountered the Flood. Besides, a rating of a game shouldn't determine what will not be in the new installment of Halo.
I think maybe the enemy will be the Precursors? Hoping that flood would be included but seems like that may be off the table with the T rating.
Halo 5's ending with all the different AIs pledging loyalty to Cortana seemed like it could have been setting up a new enemy faction in the next game.
But... I haven't read Shadows of Reach so I don't know if they abandoned/wrapped up that setup or left it open to being explored further
Don’t read into marketing too much. Vague language like that has been used for every Halo game in one form or another. The Banished are tougher than the Covenant, smaller faction sure, but The Covenant themselves couldn’t defeat the Banished.
As for the Harbinger? we’ll have to wait and see what she/he/it is. Whatever species the Harbinger belongs to may become a big threat down the road.
My hope is improved flood or fun-to-fight prometheans
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2