Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Quite Frankly, I Like Armor Abilities

OP Kalyx triaD

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
Sunsdune wrote:
I'm glad you enjoyed those games , a lot of us didn't. And although I loved using the Jet pack it was completely broken. It broke map flow , it broke map creation from time to time (maps with places only jet-packs can get to [if it made it faster or easier to get to is one thing , but having to use a specific ability to reach areas that are other wise inaccessible is just bad map design]) and it made for horrible social games because you inevitably had one or two people every game who couldn't do anything with it but become a Spartan skeet.
At least someone admits the Jetpack was broken.

Seriously, people complain about Armor Lock, but I was okay with it in comparison to the geo-ignoring uses of Jetpack and the infuriating places people would go on maps that clearly weren't designed for that level of vertical movement. It would've been better as a map pickup or something, because it's basically a power weapon in AA form.

(That said, the Jetpack was somehow tolerable in Halo 4 compared to Reach-which is weird.)
Just curious what Halo game you started with? And since you are just talking about custom games why not just play H4? Why does Infinite need them when it’s one of the reasons the last few games have suffered in terms of population. Look at the bigger picture in terms of what people want.

90% (I’m being generous) of players don’t want these abilities and mechanics to make a return. These features are one of the sole reasons why Halo is currently dead. The basis of Halo is equal starts, with armour abilities and loadouts the core of Halo is completely stripped away. If you look at the longevity of the Halo games the ones without these mechanics lasted the longest and were the most popular.

Btw I played a lot of H4 but that game was just Microsoft’s version of CoD.
I love Spartan abilities in H5. Thrust, Sprint, charge, etc. Once you get good with them they make the game much more dynamic and variable. I hope they stay in Infinite.

I also enjoyed all of the armor abilities in Halo 4. Being able to take out a hard light shield or project a hologram was rad.
I think 343i should consider adding Armor Abilities back, but preferably the ones from Halo Reach
Just curious what Halo game you started with? And since you are just talking about custom games why not just play H4? Why does Infinite need them when it’s one of the reasons the last few games have suffered in terms of population. Look at the bigger picture in terms of what people want.

90% (I’m being generous) of players don’t want these abilities and mechanics to make a return. These features are one of the sole reasons why Halo is currently dead. The basis of Halo is equal starts, with armour abilities and loadouts the core of Halo is completely stripped away. If you look at the longevity of the Halo games the ones without these mechanics lasted the longest and were the most popular.

Btw I played a lot of H4 but that game was just Microsoft’s version of CoD
So apparently evolution is one of the reasons why Halo is dead, huh? If you hate evolution so much, why don’t you just play Halo 2 or Halo 3? The reasons as to why Halo is dead is because 1. Competition and 2. Halo 3 fanboys who hate evolution.

If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago
I know they have next to no chance of returning outside of custom games options, but while awkward in Reach, I found them very fun and tactically rich in H4. And for that matter I loved Loadouts as well, though I often disagreed with the official set-ups. I also miss the more flexible scoring options.

Ya know what? I like Halo 4. Despite how the mechanics were recieved, they made custom game creation/adjusting the best in the series. While I totally understand Infinite doing its own thing, I'd really like those options back. Except for Ordinance. Actually so long as its optional add that too. Add everything that ever happened in this series. Dual Wielding, whatever.

Have your official playlist rulesets, but give me the power to flex in custom game creation. The power to make Halo 4 with dual wielding.
Sure, as long as it's optional and completely avoidable then go for it. I personally didn't like it and don't really want to play that style but I have no problem with more content and more different types of multiplayer as opposed to less. I was a big fan of the Halo 3 style multiplayer. It felt ballanced, and fair. The skill gap was big enough but most important, it felt ballanced between casual and competative play. There were small neuances that separated the good players from the average player. I just remember learning to switch my controller configuration to bumper jumper just for capture the flag so you could grab the flag, jump, drop, grab, jump drop, grab all the way back to base. Those tiny game mechanics made the game interesting and challenging.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
stukes09 wrote:
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
Because that retort is the equivalent of saying "Well if you like it so much just go back to Halo 4, problem solved."
stukes09 wrote:
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
Because that retort is the equivalent of saying "Well if you like it so much just go back to Halo 4, problem solved."
What's wrong with that retort? Makes sense to me.
Heyhou117 wrote:
Just curious what Halo game you started with? And since you are just talking about custom games why not just play H4? Why does Infinite need them when it’s one of the reasons the last few games have suffered in terms of population. Look at the bigger picture in terms of what people want.

90% (I’m being generous) of players don’t want these abilities and mechanics to make a return. These features are one of the sole reasons why Halo is currently dead. The basis of Halo is equal starts, with armour abilities and loadouts the core of Halo is completely stripped away. If you look at the longevity of the Halo games the ones without these mechanics lasted the longest and were the most popular.

Btw I played a lot of H4 but that game was just Microsoft’s version of CoD
So apparently evolution is one of the reasons why Halo is dead, huh? If you hate evolution so much, why don’t you just play Halo 2 or Halo 3? The reasons as to why Halo is dead is because 1. Competition and 2. Halo 3 fanboys who hate evolution.

If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago
"If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago"

This guy is a genius. If halo stayed like halo3 it would completely dead nobody apart from the h3 fan boys like the super slow mechanics of classic halo
Wouldn't take it as far as "genious".
Sure, the statement is probably quite true, of nothing at all changed then Halo wouldn't be on the map anymore.
The entirely different problem though is that nothing in the original post, in any way, suggest that a single person is against any and all change, at all.
The only thing mentioned are "these mechanics", "these features", the stuff we have in the current games.

Alan chose to go the whole mileage and refererence "evolution" (buzzword), and go back to "Halo 3 fans hate evolution", a massive generalization. Nothing that hasn't been seen +100 times too many before.

In terms of "slow" for Halo 3, a small FoV is a large contributor to feeling slow.

Pretty much yeah. In fact serious players would typically turn off items and regulate map rotation before they do anything else. The default settings are seen as casual and laid back.
So it doesn't actually work as an example?

stukes09 wrote:
stukes09 wrote:
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
Because that retort is the equivalent of saying "Well if you like it so much just go back to Halo 4, problem solved."
What's wrong with that retort? Makes sense to me.
Then why are you telling others to go play Halo 3?
stukes09 wrote:
stukes09 wrote:
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
Because that retort is the equivalent of saying "Well if you like it so much just go back to Halo 4, problem solved."
What's wrong with that retort? Makes sense to me.
Because many people, including this thread, don't like hearing that.

I mean the first post says they want X to come back to the next game.
So apparently evolution is one of the reasons why Halo is dead, huh? If you hate evolution so much, why don’t you just play Halo 2 or Halo 3?
Are you implying that Halo 2 and Halo 3 didn't
evolve? There was a game before that too.
Naqser wrote:
Heyhou117 wrote:
Just curious what Halo game you started with? And since you are just talking about custom games why not just play H4? Why does Infinite need them when it’s one of the reasons the last few games have suffered in terms of population. Look at the bigger picture in terms of what people want.

90% (I’m being generous) of players don’t want these abilities and mechanics to make a return. These features are one of the sole reasons why Halo is currently dead. The basis of Halo is equal starts, with armour abilities and loadouts the core of Halo is completely stripped away. If you look at the longevity of the Halo games the ones without these mechanics lasted the longest and were the most popular.

Btw I played a lot of H4 but that game was just Microsoft’s version of CoD
So apparently evolution is one of the reasons why Halo is dead, huh? If you hate evolution so much, why don’t you just play Halo 2 or Halo 3? The reasons as to why Halo is dead is because 1. Competition and 2. Halo 3 fanboys who hate evolution.

If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago
"If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago"

This guy is a genius. If halo stayed like halo3 it would completely dead nobody apart from the h3 fan boys like the super slow mechanics of classic halo
Wouldn't take it as far as "genious".
Sure, the statement is probably quite true, of nothing at all changed then Halo wouldn't be on the map anymore.
The entirely different problem though is that nothing in the original post, in any way, suggest that a single person is against any and all change, at all.
The only thing mentioned are "these mechanics", "these features", the stuff we have in the current games.

Alan chose to go the whole mileage and refererence "evolution" (buzzword), and go back to "Halo 3 fans hate evolution", a massive generalization. Nothing that hasn't been seen +100 times too many before.

In terms of "slow" for Halo 3, a small FoV is a large contributor to feeling slow.

Pretty much yeah. In fact serious players would typically turn off items and regulate map rotation before they do anything else. The default settings are seen as casual and laid back.
So it doesn't actually work as an example?

stukes09 wrote:
stukes09 wrote:
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
Because that retort is the equivalent of saying "Well if you like it so much just go back to Halo 4, problem solved."
What's wrong with that retort? Makes sense to me.
Then why are you telling others to go play Halo 3?
I'm inviting them to play whatever game they like the best.
stukes09 wrote:
stukes09 wrote:
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
Because that retort is the equivalent of saying "Well if you like it so much just go back to Halo 4, problem solved."
What's wrong with that retort? Makes sense to me.
Because many people, including this thread, don't like hearing that.

I mean the first post says they want X to come back to the next game.
Who cares what they like hearing? A valid point is cvalid, regardless of popularity or consensus.

I do hear your point about them requesting this or that feature included or excluded from Infinite. That's reasonable. I'm just saying that the people who want the franchise frozen at some previous point in time can simply play the games from that era. That should be paradise for them.

Although sometimes I suspect that many of those dudes just got really good at the old style of play and they resent having to learn new skills and maybe not be as dominant as they used to be.
stukes09 wrote:
I'm inviting them to play whatever game they like the best.
Really?

stukes09 wrote:
Ya what are they complaining about. Just go back and play Halo 3. Problem solved. Boring as hell but to each his own. Some people just like to complain for the sake of it.
Seems to me you're telling others what to do, add your own opinion in a degratory manner, and spice it up with an degratory statement.

I'm most certainly wrong, and you're most likely going to tell me why, but I get the impression you're afraid the next installment potentially could be far more towards Halo 3, which you so eloquently put, "Boring as hell", also the part which leads me to my impression.
See, if you're content with playing an older game when the new one isn't to your liking, you'd do that and not bother with anyone who offer their feedback, or, complaints for the sake of it, because you can always go back.

Not to mention the implied generalisation that if you complain, then you prefer Halo 3 as it is, and don't want anything else.

Now, as far as Halo 3's mentioning goes, I haven't checked, but I get the feeling it's brought up first pretty much only by those who like the current direction and want to defend it.
So as far as obsessing over Halo 3 goes, it doesn't really seem to be the people who those things are aimed at, who obsess over it.
So apparently evolution is one of the reasons why Halo is dead, huh? If you hate evolution so much, why don’t you just play Halo 2 or Halo 3? The reasons as to why Halo is dead is because 1. Competition and 2. Halo 3 fanboys who hate evolution.

If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago
Technically you are right, but for the wrong reasons. Reach was the last real Halo game, so the series as we knew it already is dead and it was so since H4 released. However why I'm saying you're not wrong is, it's because Halo stopped evolving after Reach. Changing stuff around and copying trends is not my definition of evolution. True evolution in game development is refining and building upon the existing mechanics and H4 and especially 5 never did this. Instead they copied CoD first and Crysis after it while keeping the core elements of Halo. Problem is, those elements like shields (aka long TTKs) don't mix well with AMM in first place. This is what angers fans of the real Halo experience. No-one here hates evolution nor do we wanna stay in 2007, quite the opposite. We do however disagree with the path taken, neither does it feel like a true evolution of the real Halo formula to us.

Heyhou117 wrote:
"If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago"

This guy is a genius. If halo stayed like halo3 it would completely dead nobody apart from the h3 fan boys like the super slow mechanics of classic halo
Except H3 ain't slow at all. The biggest dead times in MP are in the games were sprint became a base mechanic, so H4 and 5. H3 feels slow because of its horrendous FOV, something that is easily avoidable with today's tech.

That said I agree that a game series needs to evolve over time or it ends like every annual EA sport series. However - like I said in my previous response above - said evolution has to make sense for the given established game mechanics and not just a half-"yoinked" asset forced into it because it's the new hot thing at that moment, even when it doesn't mix well with the established formula.

What made Bungie's Halos far superior games imho, is the fact that the core game stayed fairly simple while at the same time being extremely modular. So just adding new base game mechanics like sprint and thrusters from my point of view is a far cry of true evolution. If something it's a lazy attempt of running after a popular trend, which already past its prime when H5 released. I wished 343i would have learned from the mistakes made in Reach by dropping loadouts all together (if not for forge modes) and proposing AAs as map pick ups, but no. We got a CoD clone with shields. So much for evolution...

Therefore needless to say that I one hundred percent disagree with the statement that 343i's Halos evolved the series. What the devs did was only changing aspects of the game for the sake of change. Building upon Halo's unique modularity is the only right way to truly evolve the series, to this day I'm still certain about this! I can only hope now that Hi will be a real evolution from Bungie's era instead of being that huge step backwards that Halo 5 Guardians imho clearly represents.
What does AMM mean?
So apparently evolution is one of the reasons why Halo is dead, huh? If you hate evolution so much, why don’t you just play Halo 2 or Halo 3? The reasons as to why Halo is dead is because 1. Competition and 2. Halo 3 fanboys who hate evolution.

If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago
Technically you are right, but for the wrong reasons. Reach was the last real Halo game, so the series as we knew it already is dead and it was so since H4 released. However why I'm saying you're not wrong is, it's because Halo stopped evolving after Reach. Changing stuff around and copying trends is not my definition of evolution. True evolution in game development is refining and building upon the existing mechanics and H4 and especially 5 never did this. Instead they copied CoD first and Crysis after it while keeping the core elements of Halo. Problem is, those elements like shields (aka long TTKs) don't mix well with AMM in first place. This is what angers fans of the real Halo experience. No-one here hates evolution nor do we wanna stay in 2007, quite the opposite. We do however disagree with the path taken, neither does it feel like a true evolution of the real Halo formula to us.

Heyhou117 wrote:
"If Halo stayed the same as it was in 2007, then it would’ve been dead a long time ago"

This guy is a genius. If halo stayed like halo3 it would completely dead nobody apart from the h3 fan boys like the super slow mechanics of classic halo
Except H3 ain't slow at all. The biggest dead times in MP are in the games were sprint became a base mechanic, so H4 and 5. H3 feels slow because of its horrendous FOV, something that is easily avoidable with today's tech.

That said I agree that a game series needs to evolve over time or it ends like every annual EA sport series. However - like I said in my previous response above - said evolution has to make sense for the given established game mechanics and not just a half-"yoinked" asset forced into it because it's the new hot thing at that moment, even when it doesn't mix well with the established formula.

What made Bungie's Halos far superior games imho, is the fact that the core game stayed fairly simple while at the same time being extremely modular. So just adding new base game mechanics like sprint and thrusters from my point of view is a far cry of true evolution. If something it's a lazy attempt of running after a popular trend, which already past its prime when H5 released. I wished 343i would have learned from the mistakes made in Reach by dropping loadouts all together (if not for forge modes) and proposing AAs as map pick ups, but no. We got a CoD clone with shields. So much for evolution...

Therefore needless to say that I one hundred percent disagree with the statement that 343i's Halos evolved the series. What the devs did was only changing aspects of the game for the sake of change. Building upon Halo's unique modularity is the only right way to truly evolve the series, to this day I'm still certain about this! I can only hope now that Hi will be a real evolution from Bungie's era instead of being that huge step backwards that Halo 5 Guardians imho clearly represents.
I'm not commanding anyone to do anything. I'm obviously just giving a suggestion.

I don't really understand the rest of your post. Either it is too convoluted and poorly written or I am too stupid or lazy to parse it out.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11