Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Ray tracing at launch?

OP character666

So do you guys think Halo infinite will have ray tracing at launch for Series X/S?
I know they said it wouldn't, but that was original launch date. I'd be dissapointed if after a whole year delay it still wouldn't be there at launch.
Can't say for sure.
Too early to tell. Best to wait till this weekend and see what 343i says. Originally they said no when they were aiming for a 2020 release date but now they have had plenty of extra time to add it in so I don't see why they couldn't add it at launch.
So do you guys think Halo infinite will have ray tracing at launch for Series X/S?
I know they said it wouldn't, but that was original launch date. I'd be dissapointed if after a whole year delay it still wouldn't be there at launch.
I don't think the Series S can support RTX, I might be wrong though.
Edit: Just looked it up and it can in fact support RTX with graphical downgrades.
I think it would be awesome to have Ray tracing at launch but I don't think it will have it
I hope ray tracing is available at launch. It's a nice feature to turn on for those who want to take screenshots.
Considering AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution which is their version of NIVIDA DLSS hasn't arrived on Series X/S yet I'd imagine ray tracing is still to strenuous on a game of Halo Infinites size. Though it is dedicated on X/S the technology is till relatively new and will take some time for developers to figure out how to implement it best without sacrificing performance. I'd imagine we'll see ray tracing on PC at launch but it'll most likely come later on Xbox.
I wanna think it will. Back in 2020 343 said that they would release the next gen update early-mid 2021 when its release date was still november 2020. Right now RT is most likely in the game already
This is something I’ve also been wondering about. Ray Tracing was meant to be a update after launch - obviously things have changed since that information was put out.

I’d certainly like Ray Tracing on launch however if I had to guess I’d probably say it won’t be there on day one. Infinite’s development was clearly hit pretty hard in 2020. Hopefully they’re back on track now.
Depends what you mean by ray tracing. If you mean general stuff for lighting and shadows... bring it on. But if people are looking for the fancier effects you have to remember that comes at a heavy cost - particularly in regard to frame rates.

Hopefully 343 will prioritise big battles with lots of enemies / AI / explosions etc. over fancy ray traced reflections etc.
Ray tracing was tagged as a post launch feature and the delay was to make sure that the launch features and content they have would be polished and ready. Certainly possible that they could bring stuff from the post-launch backlog, but I wouldn't look for it.
They've been content complete for what, 9 months now? That means that they've been optimizing features and the engine in that time... I'm hoping that means some of the fancier engine features like ray racing will be there at launch.
They've been content complete for what, 9 months now?
Back in January ske7ch clarified an article from Gamespot to say that the Sandbox team's content was complete and that they were in bug fix / polish mode. Game hasn't been content complete for 9 months
I imagine they made a decision on RT or another method based on how the engine responded to both solutions. Whatever version they added most likely significantly improved the game though.
No, they needed that extra year to build the actual game, I guess now they are at the point they should have been last year.
With the delay I really hope they implement it at launch.
I hope it does have ray tracing at launch, but I'm actually not bothered anymore. I'll just wait until it's fully updated. I decided a long time ago I was not buying Halo Infinite day one, and that's from a Halo fan that bought and owns every collectors edition up to and including Halo 5. There has been too many disappointments with 343i. I'll be waiting to see if it really is worth it this time.

Also, it's worth noting that this applies to a few studios and not just 343i, I don't see why I should back companies with my hard earned cash if they don't release a complete game. Many coming titles are a wait and see as far as I'm concerned. My friend messaged me and told me he's getting BF 2042 day one after the release trailer that showed zero gameplay, at least wait for gameplay.