Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Reach's 'battle pass' a demo for new monetization?

OP CUBEBOX7

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hello fellow Halo fans!

I'm just throwing this out there as just some scared nerds speculation... But in case that the og Reach's progression would have been actually easier to port for the MCC PC's Reach than to create their now in place linear battle pass system, this would in my opinion beg a question of why?

It was widely known that the majority enjoyed Reach's cR system, so if they had to go out of their way to create the battle pass I can't help but fear that this is a way of testing waters for.. well; Halo INFINITE.

The rumors have it that INFINITE will have monetization of some sorts and why would it not? Regardless of the general backlash the majority of the (more casual) customers purchased a ton of (swear word incoming) REQPACKS...

They made a lot of money with the ever so controversial packs, and sadly that means that monetizing Halo now has the Microsoft executives' attention... And frankly that's fair enough. 343: Do implement some sort of monetization... But don't tie it to RNG. Do not tie it to the progression and for the love of the prophets please do not execute it so it damages the player experience of those who aren't willing to pay for such! Microtransactions should be extra, nothing more, nothing less.

Please prove me paranoid... please make INIFINITE the Halo game.
I started a thread a few days back with the same concerns. I'm definitely not enthused by the way they've handled progression and cosmetic unlocks in Reach MCC.

I have to hope they've got an eye on the community's mixed response to it and are reaching in real time with how they do Infinite's. If not, it'll be one more time that hubris will cost them.
I started a thread a few days back with the same concerns. I'm definitely not enthused by the way they've handled progression and cosmetic unlocks in Reach MCC.

I have to hope they've got an eye on the community's mixed response to it and are reaching in real time with how they do Infinite's. If not, it'll be one more time that hubris will cost them.
343i has previously stated that fans of the OG Reach unlock system will influence what Halo Infinite contains.

343i has said clearly that Halo Reach unlock system used in OG reach *was not possible* on MCC/Xbox One due to the differences of the 360 and Xbox One. The system that we have in MCC applies to all titles in MCC for all future seasons so it had to be developed with such in mind. Sure could it be better? Probably. But it is not a bad system. To even mention monetization in context of "Reach Battle Pass" (which is not a battle pass, at all - battle passes are purchased and often times contain exclusives for a season of which is not the case at all with Reach) is a stretch at best because there is no monetization involved at all.

Yes, mtx is going to be in Infinite. People will scream about it forever. It will probably be just fine in practice but no one on the internet will consider that.
@the co1e train:

Wow, way to come out swinging.

PR can put whatever spin on it they want. I don't buy for a second that doing a progression port isn't at all possible- the file share mass update is proof positive that amazing things can be done when necessary in bridging the 360/PC/XOne architectures. It's fine that they didn't make it happen on armor and progression, but to say that it's outright impossible is something I would have to see some serious concrete proof for to believe. In either case, it would've certainly been possible to unlock all cosmetics for all players like they did with H3 and 4 in the original release of MCC- which is what I believe they really ought to have done on a rerelease of a game that's literally almost a decade old.

I didn't say a single thing about microtransactions in my original post. I understand they're not part of MCC's seasonal progression scheme. That doesn't absolve it of being a grindy mess in my opinion.

They can make whatever choices they want. I understand that MTX will be part of Infinite, and am not saying that they can't work. I'm saying the linear "season" based progression system from Reach MCC and MCC generally is annoying and I don't want to see it back. Just my opinion, and it's fine if you disagree. I'm all about civility online but please don't put words in my mouth.
@the co1e train:

Wow, way to come out swinging.

PR can put whatever spin on it they want. I don't buy for a second that doing a progression port isn't at all possible- the file share mass update is proof positive that amazing things can be done when necessary in bridging the 360/PC/XOne architectures. It's fine that they didn't make it happen on armor and progression, but to say that it's outright impossible is something I would have to see some serious concrete proof for to believe. In either case, it would've certainly been possible to unlock all cosmetics for all players like they did with H3 and 4 in the original release of MCC- which is what I believe they really ought to have done on a rerelease of a game that's literally almost a decade old.

I didn't say a single thing about microtransactions in my original post. I understand they're not part of MCC's seasonal progression scheme. That doesn't absolve it of being a grindy mess in my opinion.

They can make whatever choices they want. I understand that MTX will be part of Infinite, and am not saying that they can't work. I'm saying the linear "season" based progression system from Reach MCC and MCC generally is annoying and I don't want to see it back. Just my opinion, and it's fine if you disagree.
I shouldn't have quoted your post as my response wasn't really directed to you but just the discussion at large. I apologize for my tone being short.
All's good! Just had me on my back foot.

It's too easy for these kinds of miscommunications to happen on here and flare up into serious flame wars. Thanks for being mature about it and stepping up to clarify.
CUBEBOX7 wrote:
Hello fellow Halo fans!

I'm just throwing this out there as just some scared nerds speculation... But in case that the og Reach's progression would have been actually easier to port for the MCC PC's Reach than to create their now in place linear battle pass system, this would in my opinion beg a question of why?

It was widely known that the majority enjoyed Reach's cR system, so if they had to go out of their way to create the battle pass I can't help but fear that this is a way of testing waters for.. well; Halo INFINITE.

The rumors have it that INFINITE will have monetization of some sorts and why would it not? Regardless of the general backlash the majority of the (more casual) customers purchased a ton of (swear word incoming) REQPACKS...They made a lot of money with the ever so controversial packs, and sadly that means that monetizing Halo now has the Microsoft executives' attention... And frankly that's fair enough. 343: Do implement some sort of monetization... But don't tie it to RNG. Do not tie it to the progression and for the love of the prophets please do not execute it so it damages the player experience of those who aren't willing to pay for such! Microtransactions should be extra, nothing more, nothing less.

I've been playing the destiny battle pass system for the past few months and frankly find it quite good especially with the paid for premium track and the free to play track it's certainly broadened my previous negative views of a battlepass economy.
. It really depends on how it's implemented and weather it's a rewarding experience that feels valuable or a mindless grind where you feel ripped off.
Reach doesn't really have a battle pass though. It's just a linear unlocking system.

As far as MTX in Infinite, definitely expect them to be present. It's not a rumor, they have confirmed it. Fortunately it at least won't be in the form of loot boxes. Will there be no loot boxes at all? Don't know. But we at least know if it does have lootboxes you won't be able to purchase them with real money.

343i has previously stated that fans of the OG Reach unlock system will influence what Halo Infinite contains.

343i has said clearly that Halo Reach unlock system used in OG reach *was not possible* on MCC/Xbox One due to the differences of the 360 and Xbox One. The system that we have in MCC applies to all titles in MCC for all future seasons so it had to be developed with such in mind. Sure could it be better? Probably. But it is not a bad system. To even mention monetization in context of "Reach Battle Pass" (which is not a battle pass, at all - battle passes are purchased and often times contain exclusives for a season of which is not the case at all with Reach) is a stretch at best because there is no monetization involved at all.

Yes, mtx is going to be in Infinite. People will scream about it forever. It will probably be just fine in practice but no one on the internet will consider that.
MTX is the new vortex that all game-hate seems to go down into like water down a tub drain I've noticed. So, yeah. The screaming wont ever stop.
Kinda reminds me of a line from Destiny 2 of all things.
"Just tell me when the shooting stops."
"The shooting NEVER stops."
Just that but "gamer rages" instead of "shooting."
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
There shouldn't even be a need to unlock any armor in an old game like Reach, let alone radically alter how the system worked in the first place so that says to me that yeah, Reach is a dry run for Infinite. And if you think the system for MCC Reach is tedious now just wait until they want you to pay for it in Infinite.

Microtransactions in full price titles are always going to be gross double dipping, if you want to be a Free 2 play live service with microtransactions, fine do that, if you want to be a full price retail title, then that is fine too, just pick one.

Slapping two business models onto a single title is always going to scummy no matter how they try and make it more palatable. I fully expect to be disappointed but not surprised by Infinite's microtransactions and the effect they will have on the game.

MTX is the new vortex that all game-hate seems to go down into like water down a tub drain I've noticed. So, yeah. The screaming wont ever stop.
It really comes down to how it's implemented ,examples like d2 battlepass is one do e rather well whereas at the opposite end the gears 5 one is a mess and gets the much deserved criticism. Nice d2 reference I always smile at that line.
i'm pretty sure that the mcc battlepass system is testing out the system and getting people used to it. maybe even to make people defending infinites system with the not very smart "it could be worse".
CUBEBOX7 wrote:
Hello fellow Halo fans!

The rumors have it that INFINITE will have monetization of some sorts and why would it not? Regardless of the general backlash the majority of the (more casual) customers purchased a ton of (swear word incoming) REQPACKS...They made a lot of money with the ever so controversial packs, and sadly that means that monetizing Halo now has the Microsoft executives' attention... And frankly that's fair enough. 343: Do implement some sort of monetization... But don't tie it to RNG. Do not tie it to the progression and for the love of the prophets please do not execute it so it damages the player experience of those who aren't willing to pay for such! Microtransactions should be extra, nothing more, nothing less.

No please no i like the idea of the reach mcc progression with 0 money

Haha this very well said! It is a part of it and I just need to stop letting it get under my skin.

It really comes down to how it's implemented ,examples like d2 battlepass is one do e rather well whereas at the opposite end the gears 5 one is a mess and gets the much deserved criticism. Nice d2 reference I always smile at that line.
I concur, I thought D2's battle pass in Season of Undying was done well. I really enjoyed grinding the levels and the daily reward it gave you for just playing the game.
another thing i forgot to mention:

just look at gears 5. microsoft games tend to have similar monetization systems and gears 5 has an awful battlepass system implemented. so i think it is very likely for infinite to have something similar, especially with MCC laying the groundwork for introducing this kind of system into the halo franchise.

Haha this very well said! It is a part of it and I just need to stop letting it get under my skin.
Why on Earth would people complaining about microtransactions get under your skin?
Destiny's Y3 passes have been implemented quite well, as has Fortnite's Chapter 2 pass. Neither does MTX have to be evil. It can be manipulative, but it can also just be another form of monetization that doesn't take away from the game. It all depends on how it's handled by the studio.

I concur, I thought D2's battle pass in Season of Undying was done well. I really enjoyed grinding the levels and the daily reward it gave you for just playing the game.
Although it's safe to assume Halo would really struggle to put up a meaningful battle pass as it frankly doesn't have the same depth or nuance of a game like destiny ect,
even taking the pool from H5 as an example getting the weapon and armor variants and xp boosters it is still a rather shallow meaningless grind.
If reaches battle pass is anything to go by its a bit of a cosmetic yawnfest that has no meaniful impact good or bad on the game.
Im not suggesting halo becomes a mmo lite like destiny just that the battle pass model might not be the perfect fit for it.

Truly, thats just the answer to ALL of this as much as it might sound dismissive.
If you don't let it, then you'll be overall happier.
I stopped caring about all of the extranius stuff besides "whens it coming out?" and since then I've been nothing but chill no matter what happens.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2