Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Reach's 'battle pass' a demo for new monetization?

OP CUBEBOX7

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I started a thread a few days back with the same concerns. I'm definitely not enthused by the way they've handled progression and cosmetic unlocks in Reach MCC.

I have to hope they've got an eye on the community's mixed response to it and are reaching in real time with how they do Infinite's. If not, it'll be one more time that hubris will cost them.
343i has previously stated that fans of the OG Reach unlock system will influence what Halo Infinite contains.

343i has said clearly that Halo Reach unlock system used in OG reach *was not possible* on MCC/Xbox One due to the differences of the 360 and Xbox One. The system that we have in MCC applies to all titles in MCC for all future seasons so it had to be developed with such in mind. Sure could it be better? Probably. But it is not a bad system. To even mention monetization in context of "Reach Battle Pass" (which is not a battle pass, at all - battle passes are purchased and often times contain exclusives for a season of which is not the case at all with Reach) is a stretch at best because there is no monetization involved at all.

Yes, mtx is going to be in Infinite. People will scream about it forever. It will probably be just fine in practice but no one on the internet will consider that.
MTX is the new vortex that all game-hate seems to go down into like water down a tub drain I've noticed. So, yeah. The screaming wont ever stop.
Kinda reminds me of a line from Destiny 2 of all things.
"Just tell me when the shooting stops."
"The shooting NEVER stops."
Just that but "gamer rages" instead of "shooting."
It really comes down to how it's implemented ,examples like d2 battlepass is one do e rather well whereas at the opposite end the gears 5 one is a mess and gets the much deserved criticism. Nice d2 reference I always smile at that line.
I concur, I thought D2's battle pass in Season of Undying was done well. I really enjoyed grinding the levels and the daily reward it gave you for just playing the game.
Although it's safe to assume Halo would really struggle to put up a meaningful battle pass as it frankly doesn't have the same depth or nuance of a game like destiny ect,
even taking the pool from H5 as an example getting the weapon and armor variants and xp boosters it is still a rather shallow meaningless grind.
If reaches battle pass is anything to go by its a bit of a cosmetic yawnfest that has no meaniful impact good or bad on the game.
Im not suggesting halo becomes a mmo lite like destiny just that the battle pass model might not be the perfect fit for it.
It doesn't need one because thats not the style of play they want to promote. Having the armor be there, but able to be received whenever, is the kind of stuff I can see bringing people back over and over.
Spool it out over seasons perhaps like 5 did.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
I started a thread a few days back with the same concerns. I'm definitely not enthused by the way they've handled progression and cosmetic unlocks in Reach MCC.

I have to hope they've got an eye on the community's mixed response to it and are reaching in real time with how they do Infinite's. If not, it'll be one more time that hubris will cost them.
343i has previously stated that fans of the OG Reach unlock system will influence what Halo Infinite contains.

343i has said clearly that Halo Reach unlock system used in OG reach *was not possible* on MCC/Xbox One due to the differences of the 360 and Xbox One. The system that we have in MCC applies to all titles in MCC for all future seasons so it had to be developed with such in mind. Sure could it be better? Probably. But it is not a bad system. To even mention monetization in context of "Reach Battle Pass" (which is not a battle pass, at all - battle passes are purchased and often times contain exclusives for a season of which is not the case at all with Reach) is a stretch at best because there is no monetization involved at all.

Yes, mtx is going to be in Infinite. People will scream about it forever. It will probably be just fine in practice but no one on the internet will consider that.
MTX is the new vortex that all game-hate seems to go down into like water down a tub drain I've noticed. So, yeah. The screaming wont ever stop.
Kinda reminds me of a line from Destiny 2 of all things.
"Just tell me when the shooting stops."
"The shooting NEVER stops."
Just that but "gamer rages" instead of "shooting."
It really comes down to how it's implemented ,examples like d2 battlepass is one do e rather well whereas at the opposite end the gears 5 one is a mess and gets the much deserved criticism. Nice d2 reference I always smile at that line.
I concur, I thought D2's battle pass in Season of Undying was done well. I really enjoyed grinding the levels and the daily reward it gave you for just playing the game.
Although it's safe to assume Halo would really struggle to put up a meaningful battle pass as it frankly doesn't have the same depth or nuance of a game like destiny ect,
even taking the pool from H5 as an example getting the weapon and armor variants and xp boosters it is still a rather shallow meaningless grind.
If reaches battle pass is anything to go by its a bit of a cosmetic yawnfest that has no meaniful impact good or bad on the game.
Im not suggesting halo becomes a mmo lite like destiny just that the battle pass model might not be the perfect fit for it.
It doesn't need one because thats not the style of play they want to promote. Having the armor be there, but able to be received whenever, is the kind of stuff I can see bringing people back over and over.
Spool it out over seasons perhaps like 5 did.
H5 current system sounds good in comparison
I mean, they could always just NOT have micro-transactions. If EA can make a game without it, so can 343i.If they want to add map packs though or a single season pass, I'd be ok with that. The way I view micro-transactions; Is it a F2P game? Yes, then ok. No, then no. Especially if its a Triple A game, first-party exclusive, with the funding of Microsoft. Nintendo and Sony exclusives don't have MTX, so why should Microsoft?
I really hope... REALLY HOPE... they use the credit system or a similar system in Infinite for unlocks. Now, the reality is for any additions that would come to Infinite would require some form of additional income. I'm not against microtransactions in game - in fact I use them quite a bit as I don't have a lot of time to grind - I've stopped grinding in Reach as I just don't have the patience or time. Plus, I like to play other games and with limited play time I cannot commit to grinding everything out I want so I just gave up. So if there is a shortcut with a small $ value attached to it and I want it bad enough, I'll take it. Now the bigger issue is how will they design the system - will it be predatory, as in either you pay a high price for something simple or you grind for hours and hours for the same item. I will say, if they gain the good will of their player base the money will flow. Look at Warframe, the game is free - Grindy but everything is free and not that bad to obtain what you want - but DE does respect their players and I know people who willingly and happily buy platinum simply because DE has earned their trust and respect. Mind you their pricing model is over the top on somethings but not terrible. Either way if it's fair for a paid for game then yes I am all for it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2